Texas Hunting Forum

Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally?

Posted By: png

Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/20/15 05:31 PM

If so, can they buy Boar or sow, big or small?

I seem to read only big boars can be sold to them, or they pay premium for large hogs. Maybe that is due to demand from their hunter clients?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/20/15 05:42 PM

I know that 'Rough creek lodge' only buys boars for hunting. Not sure if it's law though.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/20/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
I know that 'Rough creek lodge' only buys boars for hunting. Not sure if it's law though.

I haven't read the TAHC regs in a while, but I believe last I read only cut boars (barrows) could be released for hunting. Sows must go straight to slaughter.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/20/15 09:05 PM

http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/news/brochures/TAHCBrochure_FeralSwine.pdf

http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/animal_health/feral_swine.html

Pretty much... They are picky with what is taken in... like sickly and open wounds will get turned down.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/20/15 11:58 PM

Yes and they pay per pound.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/21/15 12:10 PM

My brother and I personally witnessed a local county commissioner pull up to a side gate of a well known outfitter's Hi-fence and he and the guide released 8 fresh caught hog's into the area, I suspect this goes on quite a bit on many places. Unless there's an inventory/head count not sure how you can prove illegal purchase unless you watch the gates and catch them in the process. The entrance to this gate was about 200 yards off the road with just a faint hint of a road going to it.

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/21/15 05:05 PM

Thank you, guys. Navasot, that's a good link.

The link says "... Only boars and barrows (castrated males) may be moved to a hunting preserve..." So, legally, the trapped sows and piglets of both sex can not be sold to hunting outfitters.

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/21/15 05:10 PM

I believe there is no law about putting trap gates on your HF though... they just cannot be able to get out..

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/21/15 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
I believe there is no law about putting trap gates on your HF though... they just cannot be able to get out..

Sorry, don't understand you.

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/21/15 06:07 PM

One way gate....

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/21/15 06:11 PM

Legal for deer still I believe to since the state owns the deer and not the property owners no matter behind a fence or not... that fence is nothing more than a property line divider

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/21/15 06:14 PM

something may have changed on it but not that I know of

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/21/15 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
One way gate....

Got it.

So a meat hog hunting outfitter typically has no trouble to have enough supply naturally created inside its property. Supply from the one way gates can be treated as extra.

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/21/15 06:30 PM

Im sure there are all kinds of ways operations work... some may not want anything but big boar in the pens since its less to feed and you get about 3xs as much for a 300lb hog being killed than a 80lb... and if they were also raising other animals as well.

Some may want both in there if they are doing a lot of high quantity hog hunts... its hard to keep them fed though and the chances of raising big boar drop big time.

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/21/15 06:31 PM

maybe someone with more experience will chime in

Re: Can hunting outfitters buy trapped live hogs legally? - 05/21/15 06:47 PM

My limited paid hunting experience are on meat hog hunting. In both cases, the understanding was to target 60-80 lb hogs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum