Texas Hunting Forum

Strange game laws and fees

Posted By: therancher

Strange game laws and fees - 04/25/15 02:18 PM

While driving down 41 the other day I noticed strange new signs on a new high fence, and then down the road a few miles I noticed the same signs on an older high fenced ranch.

At first I just thought the signs were some excentric new ranch owners until I saw the older ranch with the signs.

A google search showed the reason is that if you release quail etc for shooting, you must post these signs. Has this been a law for some time and I've just been oblivious, or is this a new law?

Seems pretty silly, since "private" can be assumed, and what does stating that "this is a bird hunting area" do??

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdfo...ation_sheet.pdf
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/25/15 02:29 PM

To me it just lets neighbors or anyone driving by know that the hunting they see out of the normal season is legal within the licensed bird hunting area.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/25/15 02:32 PM

Wonder if the signs are provided.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/25/15 02:41 PM

yeah been around for a while.. your also suppose to band the birds and record each one I believe... its a PITA then you get to watch people shoot a bird you just threw in that same spot 30 minutes ago... oh yay so exciting... It wont bother me if I don't shoot a quail ever again
Posted By: Western

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/25/15 03:34 PM

Never heard of this?

I was told by an employee at the hunting preserve in Chalk mountain, they used jeeps with "quail cannons" on the front and would "shoot" out quail for those rich fellas to shoot out of a high rack. I don't recall ever seening leg tags or signs when I visited in the mid 90's?

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/25/15 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
To me it just lets neighbors or anyone driving by know that the hunting they see out of the normal season is legal within the licensed bird hunting area.

Ok that makes some sense. Keeps calls to GW's down. Theoretically.

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/25/15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
yeah been around for a while.. your also suppose to band the birds and record each one I believe... its a PITA then you get to watch people shoot a bird you just threw in that same spot 30 minutes ago... oh yay so exciting... It wont bother me if I don't shoot a quail ever again

I wouldn't let that ruin quail hunting for me. But it sounds like u may have some experience with that that I don't.

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/25/15 04:30 PM

I just had never seen signs like that before and it seemed strange.

Another law that I know is not known about or followed closely is the lease license requirement. Over half of the folks I know who lease never even heard of it, or just don't buy them.

IMO it's just another tax on the evil rich landowner.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/25/15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Never heard of this?

I was told by an employee at the hunting preserve in Chalk mountain, they used jeeps with "quail cannons" on the front and would "shoot" out quail for those rich fellas to shoot out of a high rack. I don't recall ever seening leg tags or signs when I visited in the mid 90's?

What sport is this? Might as well shoot clay pigeons.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/26/15 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: wilhunt
What sport is this? Might as well shoot clay pigeons.

How do those clay pigeons taste when you eat them?

wink
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/26/15 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: therancher

Another law that I know is not known about or followed closely is the lease license requirement. Over half of the folks I know who lease never even heard of it, or just don't buy them.

Spot on Rancher. Last 3 leases I have been on the LO did not know about the law.
Posted By: aeb

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/26/15 02:40 AM

Doesn't work that way in my part of the world. Game Wardens in our district check for a posted license every time they check out a permanent camp. Temporary campsites on a smaller place are usually ignored but if a place has a permanent camp, we better have a copy of our license posted.

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/26/15 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen

Spot on Rancher. Last 3 leases I have been on the LO did not know about the law.

Yep. I have ranches and neighbors in three different regions. Over half of the landowners haven't heard of the law. What saves them is that the wardens really don't enforce it.

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/26/15 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: aeb

Doesn't work that way in my part of the world. Game Wardens in our district check for a posted license every time they check out a permanent camp. Temporary campsites on a smaller place are usually ignored but if a place has a permanent camp, we better have a copy of our license posted.

Yep. I post it at my big lake ranch. But I don't at the south Texas or hill country place, mainly because I'm at those ranches when someone is hunting there. And it's a very high % of landowners in those areas that don't know about the law.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/26/15 04:58 AM

Years ago I remember reading about releasing pen raised birds and the possible problems of introducing avian diseases into the local wild bird population. Is this one of the possible reasons for keeping a better control on these types of operations?
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/26/15 06:38 PM

I agree wholeheartedly that there a bunch of fees everywhere you look and on everything you do. Way moreso in other areas too. At least I used to could tell myself that wildlife stuff is going to wildlife. Up until they started raiding wildlife designated funds for the general fund.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/26/15 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Years ago I remember reading about releasing pen raised birds and the possible problems of introducing avian diseases into the local wild bird population. Is this one of the possible reasons for keeping a better control on these types of operations?

Avian diseases are overstated. Most those birds don't live long because they arent use to fending for themselves, food and predator wise.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/26/15 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Avian diseases are overstated. Most those birds don't live long because they arent use to fending for themselves, food and predator wise.

Yepper
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/27/15 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Yepper

Yup... turned out about 2,000 birds a year in good habitat and maybe 1/4 of them were shot... and the only ones that lived were the ones that found the bird feeders at the lodge
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Strange game laws and fees - 04/27/15 03:21 PM

a cpl years ago I saw a pheasant walking down the middle of the road in SE Nac County. This stupid bird had to come across the river and through some nasty stuff to get to where it was from where it was released.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum