Texas Hunting Forum

Antlers are growing

Posted By: don k

Antlers are growing - 04/18/15 02:16 PM

The Bucks I saw have about an inch of antler. Body wise the best I have seen in a long time.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Antlers are growing - 04/18/15 02:25 PM

I hope the rain continues into the summer Don. It would be nice to see some of the lakes catch a little water though. It's amazing how here in Louisiana it's an ongoing struggle to get all the rain water run off to the rivers and then to the gulf. Standing water everywhere and it's been raining all week.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Antlers are growing - 04/18/15 02:56 PM

Going to be a good good year up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Antlers are growing - 04/18/15 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Going to be a good good year up

up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Antlers are growing - 04/18/15 05:55 PM

Should be a really good year if it keeps raining. How much rain did you end up with the past few days?

Re: Antlers are growing - 04/18/15 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Should be a really good year if it keeps raining. How much rain did you end up with the past few days?
We got 3". Went to Harper today. It did not look like they got the rain we did. Around Center Point and Camp Verde was pretty wet. Medina River is up a little and muddy.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Antlers are growing - 04/18/15 08:32 PM

How many of your new ponds caught water?

Re: Antlers are growing - 04/18/15 09:36 PM

They all caught water. A couple of the newest on the side of a hill did not go down much. The one I dug a month or so ago that I spent quite a bit of time on and that I thought would be good has gone down probably 5' from yesterday. Another good recharge dam. I am doing my part to put water into the aquifer.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Antlers are growing - 04/18/15 09:41 PM

With all this rain and possibly fewer deer in some areas because of the extended drought of the previous few years, this could be an impressive year. I know a lot of hunters I've talked to have lowered their harvest numbers because of fewer deer sightings, and I think there could be a higher percentage of mature bucks in the population because of this. Obviously, this won't be the case everywhere, but some ranches with good management plans may have this scenario. Fewer deer, higher percentage of bucks in the mature age class, the best browse we've seen in years, that combination should equal some great results come this fall. I'm excited! banana
Posted By: C3 guide

Re: Antlers are growing - 04/19/15 05:26 AM

My ranches got these amounts.
Rocksprings 4.25 inches
Sisterdale 3.0
Waring 1.3
Stonewall .95
Its been great the axis look awesome and sure hope it keeps raining!
Posted By: Western

Re: Antlers are growing - 04/19/15 09:59 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Continued rains will be the "key", had good early rains last year which seemed promising, but then back to the drought we went. I will say, I have the best spring growth in probably 4 years though, as far as range vegetation.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum