Texas Hunting Forum

Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger

Posted By: hetman

Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/11/15 03:24 AM

Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger for loading Feeders. I have seen 2 commercial ones $800 & $1700. And a few u-tube specials that appear to be workable but not well executed examples.

one version looks interesting take a weed eater Blower and long hose feed corn in via hopper and blow it in the feeder ( not sure how well this works)
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/11/15 03:26 AM

Cut the legs off on your feeder till you can fill the feeder while standing in the bed of a truck or UTV. That is what I did.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/11/15 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Cut the legs off on your feeder till you can fill the feeder while standing in the bed of a truck or UTV. That is what I did.

X2

Only type I'll buy now
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/11/15 03:30 AM

AMEN!!!

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/11/15 04:34 PM

looking for something for multiple hunters on a lease with various height and style feeders.

cutting legs is a great idea. if the feeders were all the same or even all mine.

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/11/15 04:51 PM

this is the $800 dollar version that is being sold at various stores

http://www.badassauger.com/
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/11/15 05:52 PM

Neighbor uses the leaf blower and PVC with a sweep on the end. He said it worked.

I'm gonna fire up the welder and make my one feeder attach to a cable that runs t
up to a pulley, and over to a boat winch. Lower it to the ground, fill it, raise it back up. But that could add up to some money for several feeders.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/11/15 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

AMEN!!!

Especially you with your known climbing deficiencies. grin
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/11/15 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

AMEN!!!

Especially you with your known climbing deficiencies. grin

Nah he was just training for the 2016 Olympics in Gymnastics grin
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/11/15 06:59 PM

Just use your truck. It has multiple heights for different feeders.
1. Out of the bed.
2. Off of the bed rails.
3. Off of the tool box.
4. Off of the top of the cab! Only use this height when you are desperate and driving an old truck. grin

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/12/15 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Neighbor uses the leaf blower and PVC with a sweep on the end. He said it worked.

Any pics JG?? sweep on the end??
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/12/15 02:40 PM

No pics. I think he has a tee down by the blower, with a foot or two of pipe pointing skyward. He stepped up the pipe size to make a funnel to pour the corn into, from the ground.

A sweep is a 90 degree turn, but with a larger radius. It's what's used in plumbing drains.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/12/15 02:47 PM

We're switching everything to crank up tripods, or better yet Diamond/Judge feeders, stand on the ground
Posted By: PMK

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/13/15 08:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLRK4K_Sbg0 not mine but looks like a pretty easy and inexpensive concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrZHsYBdA8s another ...

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/13/15 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLRK4K_Sbg0 not mine but looks like a pretty easy and inexpensive concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrZHsYBdA8s another ...

Thanks that gave me the drawing I was looking for / like the air baffle without that it would just blow back in your face

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/13/15 11:02 PM

Get ready for some static electricity pushing Protein thru those leaf blower Chinglys bang

I have seen them bring a grown man to his knees and sound like a .22 went off roflmao

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/13/15 11:09 PM

Get ready for some static electricity pushing Protein thru those leaf blower Chinglys bang

I have seen them bring a grown man to his knees and sound like a .22 went off roflmao

I would have thought the metal can would ground it. If not that's what they make Hunting Buddy's for. Hey Bill grab that bucket for me LOL

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/13/15 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: hetman

I would have thought the metal can would ground it. If not that's what they make Hunting Buddy's for. Hey Bill grab that bucket for me LOL

roflmao
Touch em behind the ear rofl

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/14/15 07:09 PM

I might have to make one of these up for one feeder I have out southwest from Ozona. I bought it from a previous hunter on the place. It has a ladder but the bottom of the barrel is 10-12 feet high and its kinda wobbly with my 250 lbs plus a bag or two of corn over my shoulder. My knees would appreciate the blower concept.
Posted By: Bmnloader

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/14/15 07:37 PM

I've never had any static electricity yet from mine after 3 years, yet being the operative word. Mine uses a "curved" (plumbing)tee in it with the curve blowing in the direction you want the corn to go. Works like a champ when you're the only one filling feeders. My knees don't do ladders anymore. At least not with 50lbs on my shoulder. Fire up the blower with the trash can at the end of the tailgate and let er rip.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/14/15 07:40 PM

Build one of these (right side up) and no auger needed. 30 watt solar panel out of frame to charge battery. That's a hog kill light mounted to the leg and attached to the battery for a maintenance free light.

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/14/15 08:13 PM

(my neck hurts now)

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/14/15 08:16 PM

My stupid iPhone 6 does that. Don't know why.
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/14/15 08:29 PM

There you go.

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/14/15 08:30 PM

Thank you. For some reason, I can't upload pics from my pc. I'm a bad IT guy...
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/14/15 09:14 PM

Go to a Winch-up, Ground Fill, or feeder with 6' legs and forget it.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/16/15 08:06 PM

I have one with the boat winch system, make sure you use a winch that gives you enough mechanical advantage or it gets a little tough towards the end. I also have one that has a chain hoist like you would see in a garage for engine blocks connected to a four legged stand. That one is by far the easiest to use but is is a bit noisy since the chain drags across the top of the barrel but I've been using it for 11 yrs with no problems.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/29/15 01:36 AM

Stand clear when cranking up the drum full of corn. Had one break free last year; no one hurt but crushed the timer! Cable was good, the the pully broke free.
Posted By: ccreyeder

Re: Has Anyone come up w/ a cheap Corn auger - 04/29/15 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Slimpickin
Stand clear when cranking up the drum full of corn. Had one break free last year; no one hurt but crushed the timer! Cable was good, the the pully broke free.

^^ this! Had the same thing happen last year. 300 lbs of corn in a 55 gal barrel dropped from 10-12 feet would make for a very bad day if it lands on you!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum