Texas Hunting Forum

Revised: Tips before you book a hunt

Posted By: Stickman11b

Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/07/15 11:45 PM

I originally posted a thread on here and I feel it got the wrong attention. I don't want it to seem as if I was complaining just wanted a couple tips when it comes to booking a hunt. Out of 40 looks only 2 gentle wrote back. One made it very clear to do you homework which I have heard before, none the less good tip. Another said something very wise. Call their references of who's hunted with them knows them or what have you. Great tip! especially if your shelling out loads of cash. If you have any other good tips for me or any other newbie's on here please drop a tip or a few if possible.
Posted By: png

Re: Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/08/15 05:40 PM

Similar to restaurants, the good ones are always crowded.

When I did book for paid hunting trips, I try to find one that needs way advance – like months - reservation.

Also if the current plan is to make a few paid trips yearly, you may want to consider finding a place such as a yearly lease.

Re: Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/08/15 07:10 PM

A yearly lease?? I am not familiar with that. I will do some research but have you ever done one of those before? a yearly lease? I would think the flip side of that is it not being a new area you already know where to go and what to expect. Does that ruin the "hunt" for lack of better terms per-say?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/08/15 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Stickman11b
A yearly lease?? I am not familiar with that. I will do some research but have you ever done one of those before? a yearly lease? I would think the flip side of that is it not being a new area you already know where to go and what to expect. Does that ruin the "hunt" for lack of better terms per-say?

A "yearly lease" is when you actually pay a sum of money to lease someone's property. Typically, there are more than one hunters on the property that will camp together, depending on the acreage. Some offer year around access to camp, clean up areas, fill feeders, etc, while some are just for the specific season you are leasing for.

You can find leases in the land/lease section on this forum. Sometimes they are listed as a $ per acre, or they can be listed as x number of hunters at $xxxx.

Before getting on a yearly lease, make sure you are aware of all rules and expectations.

I prefer leases over paid to hunt places, but it is a personal preference and what fits you best. If you prefer to go often and try different methods, it would be a good fit. If you are limited on time, the pay to hunt places can typically offer a better chance. Leasing the land requires you to set up your own feeder and stand, put in your own corn, have a place to camp, etc. Typically a paid to hunt place is going to have all this ready for you.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/09/15 02:30 AM

The problem with references is they come from the outfitter, and he only gives out those who had a great time. Some outfitters have regulars who hunt with them every year. They get the best spots and the best guides. As a new guy there, they might ignore you or you get the rookie guide who just got out of guide school.

For years I relied on the Hunting Report. Decide on what you want to hunt, spend the money on last years reports for that species, or area and look for the outfitter with the best reviews. Then call them. Now that the internet is so common, I google the outfitter, his company, and anything I can bout him and those who hunt with him. The bad ones will have something out there about them.

Some of the best deals that I've gotten where from getting drawn for a tag in an area, and then contacting outfitters. A lot of them book hunts hoping that their clients get drawn, but when they don't, the outfitter gets very accommodating with what he has to offer and what he wants for the price of a hunt. I've done several great hunts for half the original asking price in areas thick with animals!!!
Posted By: png

Re: Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/09/15 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Stickman11b
A yearly lease?? I am not familiar with that. I will do some research but have you ever done one of those before? .....

I researched hard and thought about getting on one, but I didn't. I will leave it with those having experience to offer your advise on pros and cons.

Originally Posted By: txshntr

... If you prefer to go often and try different methods, it would be a good fit. If you are limited on time, the pay to hunt places can typically offer a better chance...

+1. I would also expect to make it multi-year if working out.
Posted By: j-thames

Re: Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/09/15 02:49 AM

Google the outfitter as mentioned above. Finding nothing might not be a bad thing but finding positive reviews on forums such as this is always a good sign. I have even joined a forum and contacted the poster who mentioned an outfitter I was interested in to ask more questions.
Good luck.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/09/15 03:01 AM

I love being there. Even in the off season. I just spent four days clearing cactus for a fall food plot, moving stands and doing maintenance work around the place. It puts me outdoors doing the things I enjoy doing. I've been weighing the choice of hunts vs. lease and I always come back to leasing. A good one is hard to find. A great one is priceless.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/09/15 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
The problem with references is they come from the outfitter, and he only gives out those who had a great time. Some outfitters have regulars who hunt with them every year. They get the best spots and the best guides. As a new guy there, they might ignore you or you get the rookie guide who just got out of guide school.

For years I relied on the Hunting Report. Decide on what you want to hunt, spend the money on last years reports for that species, or area and look for the outfitter with the best reviews. Then call them. Now that the internet is so common, I google the outfitter, his company, and anything I can bout him and those who hunt with him. The bad ones will have something out there about them.

Some of the best deals that I've gotten where from getting drawn for a tag in an area, and then contacting outfitters. A lot of them book hunts hoping that their clients get drawn, but when they don't, the outfitter gets very accommodating with what he has to offer and what he wants for the price of a hunt. I've done several great hunts for half the original asking price in areas thick with animals!!!

I'm a long time subscriber to the Hunting Report as well. It is one of the main tools in my box when screening outfitters.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/09/15 08:39 PM

As mentioned above, Google is your friend. Most outfitters have been critiqued multiple times on the internet. You can bet your bottom dollar that those that have had negative experiences will post them on the net. I do allot of searching before I book with somebody that hasn't been recommended to me.

I have become a fan of trophy fees if it is with an outfitter new to me. At least if I don't shoot anything, I'm not out much money. I know a couple guys who have gotten burned on whitetail and exotic hunts that were "all inclusive". One went on a hunt for a deer up to 160" for $4500. He saw about 20 deer in 5 days. The biggest buck was a scraggly 6 point. Hunting is a big business. Just remember, if it sounds to good to be true...
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/09/15 09:32 PM

Stickman, just out of curiosity what are you wanting to hunt?
Posted By: Erny

Re: Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/10/15 12:10 AM

I like to met the outfitter at shows like the DSC. Meeting them face to face is the best way IMHO. You will get a gut feel if you like the guy and want to hunt with him. I have booked several off of here. If they get rave reviews such as Mulie Mike on here you can feel safe about booking. I have only booked one hunt so far that was a very expensive disappointment. I just went with a low price, did not do my homework and I got what I deserved. Like others have said I take outfitters refrences with a grain of salt. They are not going to use someone as a reference that had a miserable time. if a hunt are really low priced compared to other outfitters there is probably a reason.

Re: Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/10/15 12:51 AM

Leasing doesn't sound all that bad. I might check into that. Dogdown23 I am hunting a Axis deer this time. I tried a white-tail deer. I didn't like it. A man at a local store told me did I did it in butter milk or something along those lines. I said no though. He said that is why and told me before I stop hunting understand that I am going to mess up my first few deer's. This time I am more prepared now.
Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Re: Revised: Tips before you book a hunt - 04/10/15 12:59 AM

You know what...you started a really good topic that should be put up by this forum as a "go by list" for people looking for advice on this topic. Maybe the moderators could make that happen?

Either way, I would love to have a checklist and I know that there were tips mentioned in previous post that I never thought about. Just saying, this is a good topic and shouldn't be lost in time. All hunters struggle with money versus quality hunts/outfitters every year and that goes for most of us every year. Big and important topic.

Thanks,
CM
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum