Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting concern

Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:02 PM

Hey guys and gals, I recently had a friend ask me "how is it that you can cry when your dog dies but cheer when you shoot a deer?"
I said, "well, I shoot the deer because I intend on eating it and I enjoy the chase"
He replied "why don't you shoot the dog instead?"
I said, "I'm not Chinese"

But for real? How would you address this topic?

Thanks,
CM
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:04 PM

Find different friends?
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey

How would you address this topic?

If it's brown it's down.

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

How would you address this topic?

If it's brown it's down.

Not sure what your saying but I am afraid that it can be misconstrued.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:07 PM

He doesn't taste good........ roflmao
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:07 PM

Because I don't have a relationship with the deer. Tell him to get bent, pound sand, kick rocks, and beat feet. Or offer to shoot his dog
Posted By: Humannpower

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Because I don't have a relationship with the deer. Tell him to get bent, pound sand, kick rocks, and beat feet. Or offer to shoot his dog

This.

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:10 PM

Is a person incapable of having the same relationship with a deer that he/she has with a dog?
Posted By: Humannpower

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:16 PM

Is a person capable of having the same relationship with a deer that he/she has with a dog?

Only way i see that is if the person raises the deer from a fawn.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:18 PM

Actually a pretty good question when we also shoot yotes........I think it has to come down to heritage, appreciation of the land and conservation of that land/animal ecosystem. Hunters and Fisherman are paying tons so that everyone can enjoy it no matter if they shoot it with a gun or a camera or just file it away in their memories.

Or you can ask them if their butt is setting on leather in their car or sofa
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:20 PM

Or you could use it as an opportunity to educate and explain why we hunt.

Because it's been who we are as a human race since the beginning of time. In our DNA. That we respect the deer and the dog, but the relationship with each is different. One is a food source/prey in the exercise of our hunting instinct. One is a companion and/or helper in our hunting and work.

All you guys who tell people to pound sand who are just asking a question are a part of the problems hunting is facing today.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:20 PM

i dont hangout with peeps who ask stupid questions like that.

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: takewhatyoucan64
Actually a pretty good question when we also shoot yotes........I think it has to come down to heritage, appreciation of the land and conservation of that land/animal ecosystem. Hunters and Fisherman are paying tons so that everyone can enjoy it no matter if they shoot it with a gun or a camera or just file it away in their memories.

Or you can ask them if their butt is setting on leather in their car or sofa

Thank you
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:22 PM

I have seen people shooting dogs too.
Mucho perros
Posted By: PMK

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:24 PM

you have to remember not everyone is a hunter or a conservationist and might just be ignorant, asking a simple and honest question.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:25 PM

Id laugh at first then ask him why does he grow a garden full of vegies to eat and not flowers
Posted By: EdRoth

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:29 PM

Sounds like the person was trolling.

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: EdRoth

Not sure I am following you?
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:31 PM

Hey EdRoth

Whats for sell man eeks333
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:32 PM

roflmao

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:33 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Roth

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:34 PM

What...
If its good I will give 6% less for a inside line

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:36 PM

Not sure I am following you?

Trolling. They were just trying to get a reaction out of you.

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Hey EdRoth

LOL! Been on here 6 years, just catching up.

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:38 PM

Hey EdRoth

LOL! Been on here 6 years, just catching up.

Messin with you...welcome back
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:41 PM

At some point, society decided which animals would be food, which would be companions and which were predators/nuisance/pests. In most parts of the world, dogs are companions, help us hunt, protect us, etc. Deer are a food source for many people but don't make great or practical companions.

Coyotes and wolves obviously resemble domesticated dogs, but they are predators and kill other animals that we have decided are companions or food sources, so we kill them or try to limit their access to us and livestock.

Other animals that we don't hunt, but raise for food, like cows, we protect from the predators but end up killing for sustenance. I don't do this personally, but I understand some people really grapple with the emotions of raising livestock to then slaughter it for food in a few years, because a bond is formed with the animal. Many hunters feel the same way with the deer (ducks, in my case) and are thankful for the chance to harvest field animals for their family.

The initial question is bad, but they may have just phrased it in a weird way. It appears they are trying to ask what many non-hunters ask of us. The second question, though, is very bad as a response to your first answer. I hope this doesn't come across as offensive, but it sounds like a follow up question a five year old would ask because they haven't yet grasped the difference between animals we hunt and why and animals we live with or don't hunt.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Id laugh at first then ask him why does he grow a garden full of vegies to eat and not flowers

Careful Nav, I'm feeling stabby today...

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Payne

I seen your new Garden Addition... roflmao

Dont get to "stabby" rofl
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:43 PM

Dog can be table fare. Lewis & Clark even ate dog.

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:49 PM

Turkey...
Whats wrong with you rofl roflmao

Janies gonna YELL at YOU rofl clap
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:54 PM

Dang, I wasn't ready for it either, Turkey.

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 05:56 PM

The guy is a coworker of mine. I wouldn't ever scold someone for asking a good challenging question. I didn't have a good answer for it. That's why I posted it. Thanks.

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Payne

I seen your new Garden Addition... roflmao

Dont get to "stabby" rofl

roflmao I ment cuz veggies are food not flowers... like deer is food and not dogs.. even though it don't taste bad..
Posted By: Cast

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 06:52 PM

I have a co-worker that (out of the blue) started ragging me about hunting over a feeder. We don't talk much these days.
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 07:02 PM

I would tell them it is none of their concern. I hunt. They can accept that or not, but it is not a topic that needs to be debated or philosophized.

People will either enjoy hunting or not, that is up to them. If they are vegan, they will not ever understand. If they eat a single burger, then they can just stay quite and be a nice silent hypocrite.

Don't have to be mean about that reply, btw.. but many ask that question. I tell them, "I leave a pistol on the ground. The deer is welcome to pick it up and shoot back.."

and leave it at that.

imo

Russ
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 10:30 PM

Nice retort JR.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 11:01 PM

A Spanish philosopher once explained hunting as follows: When I hunt I do not hunt to kill but I do kill to hunt. I think this explains the inherent genetic make up of those of us who hunt as we are acting upon millions of years of pursuing game for survival. Those not comfortable with it have obviously lost touch with their roots. One never knows these genetic qualities may become essential for survival for our prodigy.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 11:11 PM

Same way adressed whin credit advise said leasing a bad ivestment got up an walked away. Cant aford ta hunt these days. flag
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 11:20 PM

Hey guys and gals, I recently had a friend ask me "how is it that you can cry when your dog dies but cheer when you shoot a deer?"
I said, "well, I shoot the deer because I intend on eating it and I enjoy the chase"
He replied "why don't you shoot the dog instead?"
I said, "I'm not Chinese"

Thanks,
CM

I would tell them because I don't eat dogs and I don't eat my friends. My dog is my friend. Pretty simple.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Hunting concern - 04/06/15 11:21 PM

Your friend sounds sanctimonious. Dump him.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum