Texas Hunting Forum

Eating Sheep

Posted By: Pittstate

Eating Sheep - 04/05/15 04:25 PM

A while back I posted asking how everyone likes Dall Sheep. My daughter and I ended up harvesting a Hybrid Mouflon ram that was right at 3 years old. We made steaks out of the backstrap (tenderized them, put blackening seasoning on and grilled) and they turned out fantastic. Made enchiladas out of the hams and they too turned out awesome. The front legs were taken out on impact, so didn't get to sample them!

Just a little info. We aged the meat in the garage fridge for 8 days on the steaks and 10 days on the hams. Very tender and flavorful meat.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Eating Sheep - 04/05/15 06:39 PM

food food

You did the right treatment for the meat. I have hunted many sheep in their natural Habitat.
They all taste awesome.However age factor is most important.

Rule of thumb,"If you are a trophy hunter you will seldom get good meat." juggle
Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Eating Sheep - 04/05/15 07:39 PM

Sounds Good !
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Eating Sheep - 04/05/15 08:17 PM

What about Mouflon? They any good?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Eating Sheep - 04/05/15 08:18 PM

Pittstate, my experience with eating sheep has been the same as yours. I can tell you took the time to clean it and process it correctly. That is as key as the prep of it to eat is.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Eating Sheep - 04/07/15 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
What about Mouflon? They any good?

The sheep I took was almost 100% mouflon, probably 80 or higher.
Posted By: nak

Re: Eating Sheep - 04/07/15 04:24 AM

I grew up eating Mouflon. Corn fed makes for good eating.

My dad raised them. He had an arrangement with some guys out of San Antonio for several rams a year. They claimed to go sheep hunting every year. They would call my dad and tell him when they would be stopping by on their way home from their "hunting trip" elmer. He'd call the sheep up to the gate with feed and shoot the one with the best spiral (with a .22 pistol ) . He'd cape and quarter it, and pack it on ice. They would show up, transfer it to their ice chest and transfer a roll of $100 bills to my dad.

We ate a couple of the young ewes each year, and any rams that were developing wimpy racks.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Eating Sheep - 04/07/15 12:36 PM

Never been a fan of sheep but I'd try it again with the right recipe, how do y'all cook them?
Posted By: nak

Re: Eating Sheep - 04/08/15 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Never been a fan of sheep but I'd try it again with the right recipe, how do y'all cook them?

Probably 75% of it went on the pit. Entire hind quarter and ribs...just like you would BBQ pork
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Eating Sheep - 04/08/15 10:08 AM

I made breakfast sausage and burger out of a mouflon, it was good, I've also made jalapeņo and cheese link sausage and chili meat,and burger meat out of an auodad, it all tasted good!
Edit to add: it's all about how you take care of the meat after the kill, I've never eat a bad tasting boar hog either, all very good
Posted By: passthru

Re: Eating Sheep - 04/09/15 03:04 AM

Sheep are too stupid to eat. There may be a human transference of the stupid they are stricken with. It's medically not sound to eat sheep. In fact I'm not sure I haven't lost some IQ points over the years from wearing wool socks so I started wearing them over cotton socks so there is no skin contact.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Eating Sheep - 04/10/15 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Sheep are too stupid to eat. There may be a human transference of the stupid they are stricken with. It's medically not sound to eat sheep. In fact I'm not sure I haven't lost some IQ points over the years from wearing wool socks so I started wearing them over cotton socks so there is no skin contact.

banana2 banana2

Well said ppassthru..But I think there is confusion. you are mixing up sheep with LAMBS.
Try to wear the socks made of Wild sheep's Wool..Yor IQ will be..infinity lol444
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Eating Sheep - 04/10/15 11:50 PM

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum