Texas Hunting Forum

Trespassers: Grayson County

Posted By: MDMORROW

Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/04/15 01:32 PM

Anybody recognize any of these vehicles? This is on a place just south of Pottsboro. It's fairly easy access because I don't have it fenced on one side yet because the county is going to widen the road later this year and when they do they are buying the new fence so I've been waiting for that. However this is in the furthest back part from the road and its a 200 ac place so they would have had to travel well into the property to get their picture taken.

I don't have anything on the place other than a couple trail cams but these morons did cut some pretty massive ruts and had it not been so wet I would have already had a food plot planted where they did the donuts. Any info is appreciated. Post it up or PM either way. Thanks!

Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/04/15 01:48 PM

I'd go check the Pottsboro HS parking lot on Monday.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/04/15 01:51 PM

Yep I thought about that. Next time I'm up I'll check it out. May even stop in and see if any of the my old teachers are around.
Posted By: Western

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/04/15 01:57 PM

I'd notify the GW, or Sheriff, if you plan on doing anything meaningful. I, bet as mentioned, they are local and the vehicles are familiar around town.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/04/15 02:05 PM

I'm planing to but I wanna see if I can figure out who they are first. Not much stopping it other than catching them until I get my fence up but still its worth a try.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/04/15 02:08 PM

Why does it matter who they are? I would let the local LE figure it out, they get paid to "investigate".

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/04/15 02:17 PM

Cause I'd like to know in case it's someone I know or if its someone who's folks I know I can confront them without involving the law. duh
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/04/15 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: MDMORROW
Cause I'd like to know in case it's someone I know or if its someone who's folks I know I can confront them without involving the law. duh

Well if it was someone you know then you would not be posting on here now would ya...duh grin

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/04/15 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Well if it was someone you know then you would not be posting on here now would ya...duh grin

Maybe he knows "morons" that will listen. Duh

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/04/15 02:42 PM

If you guys don't have anything worthwhile to contribute then don't stomp on my thread. The sheriff has already been out on a previous occasion and can't do much without a license plate. Thanks
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 04:14 AM

Quote:
The sheriff has already been out on a previous occasion and can't do much without a license plate.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty much right. Would apply to you as well. There doesn't seem be any real 'distinguishing' features about any of the vehicles.

You've got a white Jeep (soft top), with black rims, two door, mud tires, that's about it.

A dark Dodge truck, factory wheels, can't tell if its a 2 door or 4 door from the pics.

A white/possibly silver colored Dodge truck with either a spot light or LED light bar, possibly aluminum rims.

Nothing that would make any of those vehicles positively identifiable.

Yeah, you could probably match one or two of them up at the local High School, but without a license plate what can you really do?

Possibly move your game cam to a more advantageous angle?

Hate trespassers, had my share of them.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 02:15 PM

I've already put up another one that will catch them coming in and out.
Posted By: cm250

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 02:18 PM

Sorry to hear and see Myron. Looks like the front bumper/license plate on the black Dodge are wrinkled bit. Should be enough evidence there. Will keep my eyes open for any of those vehicles. Last one looks like a light colored Ford Ranger step side with an LED light bar. Good luck my friend.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 02:47 PM

I wouldn't be that hard on them. If you don't have fences and gates up with no trespassing signs or purple paint all over everything they could just say there wasn't anything telling them they couldn't go out there and rut up your field. Its probably not worth putting somebody through the ringer if you cant put a fence up to keep them out and some signs that say don't come in here. They may be young and may need to get a job one day that requires a good record and I hate to see young people make foolish mistakes that could of been easily avoided. When I was young we would go muddin anywhere there wasn't a gate holding us back. Remember we are running out of places to play. You cant even pull off the road anymore out in the country and shoot your guns without a bunch of law dogs showing up. Wheres the freedom? scratch
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
I wouldn't be that hard on them. If you don't have fences and gates up with no trespassing signs or purple paint all over everything they could just say there wasn't anything telling them they couldn't go out there and rut up your field. Its probably not worth putting somebody through the ringer if you cant put a fence up to keep them out and some signs that say don't come in here. They may be young and may need to get a job one day that requires a good record and I hate to see young people make foolish mistakes that could of been easily avoided. When I was young we would go muddin anywhere there wasn't a gate holding us back. Remember we are running out of places to play. You cant even pull off the road anymore out in the country and shoot your guns without a bunch of law dogs showing up. Wheres the freedom? scratch

All property in Texas is considered private, unless otherwise posted. Your freedom stops at my property line. By law it is up to you, not me to determine where that property line is. And yes the law dogs show up because shooting from a roadway is against the law.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 03:37 PM

I don't think I was clear enough on the shooting part. I didn't say I would shoot from the road. I was talking about pulling over and actually making an effort to shoot at some targets off the beaten path. People hear guns and call the law. Its funny people in America are so territorial with there property and we stole from the Indians. They didn't like us on there lands either, but they were the naturals, and we were the trespassers. Now Americans own almost every inch and we rarely have the ability to share it with our own people. We are a selfish and greedy species. Look at the illegal aliens. They trespass all the time all over America and our government rewards them with free stuff. They use up our resources and many are bandits but our government turns a blind eye to them. This confuses me, because if I trespass I go to jail and they do it all the time and our government doesn't take them to jail. I was born and raised in Texas. Im French and Indian. I think when someone is making a simple mistake it can be worked out by simply talking and not throwing them in jail for minor details. And yes when you pull off any road and travel on property that is not yours, you are trespassing, that's my point freedom doesn't mean we are free. We are prisoners of our own man, and that means we are gated out of almost everything. Its all about property.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: cm250
Sorry to hear and see Myron. Looks like the front bumper/license plate on the black Dodge are wrinkled bit. Should be enough evidence there. Will keep my eyes open for any of those vehicles. Last one looks like a light colored Ford Ranger step side with an LED light bar. Good luck my friend.

Thank you sir, much appreciated!!

I don't think I was clear enough on the shooting part. I didn't say I would shoot from the road. I was talking about pulling over and actually making an effort to shoot at some targets off the beaten path. People hear guns and call the law. Its funny people in America are so territorial with there property and we stole from the Indians. They didn't like us on there lands either, but they were the naturals, and we were the trespassers. Now Americans own almost every inch and we rarely have the ability to share it with our own people. We are a selfish and greedy species. Look at the illegal aliens. They trespass all the time all over America and our government rewards them with free stuff. They use up our resources and many are bandits but our government turns a blind eye to them. This confuses me, because if I trespass I go to jail and they do it all the time and our government doesn't take them to jail. I was born and raised in Texas. Im French and Indian. I think when someone is making a simple mistake it can be worked out by simply talking and not throwing them in jail for minor details. And yes when you pull off any road and travel on property that is not yours, you are trespassing, that's my point freedom doesn't mean we are free. We are prisoners of our own man, and that means we are gated out of almost everything. Its all about property.

Incorrect bud, you have all the freedom in the world here in America. Freedom to purchase your own property and stay off of mine. Also, just because I don't have a fence up (read back further for the reason) doesn't mean that it is fair game. In fact, 90% of crop land isn't fenced because its a pain to get a tractor or combine through one. That doesn't make it ok for somebody to come on it and drive through a cultivated field. You don't have to have any fencing, signage or anything whatsoever to legally say you don't want trespassers. Private property is private property and you don't have any business going onto a property if you don't know who owns it.

If you'll step back in the post a little ways you'll see where my intention was to confront the individuals themselves rather than involve the law because in all likelihood its just kids but that still doesn't make it ok. There's still damage to the property and the parents of said kids need to know how they are behaving. If they continue to do it after a gentleman's discussion then I'll have the sheriff and or GW nail their butts to the wall.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 04:03 PM

This is the way trespassers and poachers think. Also if you don't like "law dogs" be sure not to waste my tax dollars calling the cops if you're ever in a situation that requires them.

Also, in the land and leases section here. There's plenty of places to hunt and play, they're just not free for the taking.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 04:21 PM

Teenagers are stupid.

String some barbed wire if you have some trees where they come in. Definitely make sure you have it posted.

You're just aggravating yourself with this thread.

Good luck.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 04:39 PM

I know that it can be hard for some folks to find a place to shoot - but private property is still private property. Even when that fact is an inconvenience to others.

MDMORROW: I like the way you are handling it, using common sense and not flying off the handle.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 05:18 PM

I can check my 100 yrd zero on my place now days, but try not to shoot too much. There are houses all through the woods and I don't like to make my neighbors that are within a sling shots reach to feel nervous and don't want to annoy them with a lot of loud shots. The others that shoot guns out here don't give a [censored], they will shoot all day. I feel like that I am a considerate person and would hope that others would feel them same way. If someone comes onto my place and I don't feel violated, Im not going to call a law and try to get them in trouble. Ill ask them whats up and tell them that they may want to leave because I don't know what their intentions are, not to mention they could accidently get caught up in some friendly stray bullet fire while Im target practicing. The issue with the fuzz that I was talking about earlier happened 15 years ago and even then I couldn't enjoy myself 15 miles out of the nearest town and its even worse now. I tried the gun range thing and you get policed so much there by the range dicks, its not even fun. Id put a fence up if your not farmin for a livin and if they cut their way in you may have reason to complain to the law. up
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 05:36 PM

Holy cow MDMORROW. 3 trespassers in a week, and one spot-lighter. And that is only the ones that got as far as your camera. You are handling it well, but you will have to continue handling it well till you get a fence. Even purple post won't stop them because most people have no idea what they mean, and NO TRESPASSING signs only keep away honest trespassers.
I have a place on the fence line that is open because it washes out during a big rain. I might as well put up a WELCOME sign. People come and go thinking it is public property even though it fenced on either side of the wash.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 06:21 PM

I was raised on a farm down in central tx. You could see a long ways. We had fields that we grew wheat, maize, and cotton. We even had hay fields. The only fields we were worried about fencing up were the ones that had livestock in them. The yield wasn't worth putting up a fences up for and it wasn't because of tractor issues. We just figured whos going to actually come out here and drive around in these bumpy old muddy fields. Also nobody gave a [censored] about stealing wheat, maize, or cotton. We had woods too and they were fenced off to keep cattle in them. One of my good neighbors had a 6 foot fence to keep his 100 head of goats in and predators out. He was so nice he made wooden latters over his fence on each end, so that I could come over to fish and hunt. We also had hot wire around all the fence rows to insure that the cattle didn't get out. The man with the goats had hot wire too. So I guess we were worried more about the cattle than the yield, since we had fences up for the cattle. We wernt worried about what was coming in but did use the fence of insurance for our cattle. Fences do have good purposes whether they keep people out of trouble or keep livestock in. East Texas has thousands of miles oil field roads that are not always gated, and Im sure it has cost a many land owner some serious problems that possibly could of been avoided if they put up some quality fencing and gates. If there is no warnings or fences could the trespasser get off on a technicality? especially with a good lawyer. scratch

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Holy cow MDMORROW. 3 trespassers in a week, and one spot-lighter. And that is only the ones that got as far as your camera. You are handling it well, but you will have to continue handling it well till you get a fence. Even purple post won't stop them because most people have no idea what they mean, and NO TRESPASSING signs only keep away honest trespassers.
I have a place on the fence line that is open because it washes out during a big rain. I might as well put up a WELCOME sign. People come and go thinking it is public property even though it fenced on either side of the wash.

Yep you're right about that. I've also had junk dumped too up near the entrance. That's another problem that you encounter with rural property. Trespassers and poachers are a problem everywhere and I've had issues with them on other farms as well but this place is by far the worst primarily because it's the most accessible place I've got and the road going in is very apparent. It won't be long before the fence comes though and hopefully the problems will stop. That said there would be satisfaction in catching some of these characters in the act.

Im sure it has cost a many land owner some serious problems that possibly could of been avoided if they put up some quality fencing and gates. If there is no warnings or fences could the trespasser get off on a technicality? especially with a good lawyer. scratch

So you're saying that you think it's the landowner's responsibility to bear the time and expense to keep you from trespassing? I don't think so.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 07:29 PM

If you build a pond and some dumb [censored] drowns in it you can get sewed if you don't go through the proper measures to try to warn people to stay out.= fences, purple paint, and no trespassing signs. Whats the difference in the pond and the land? scratch
Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 07:35 PM

I had a kid drive through my corn field last year but he did leave his license plate behind . I tracked him down and gave him the option to detail my combine or I'd press charges . So he spent 3 nice 105 degree days making my machine look like new. I figured if I pressed charges it would just come out of his parents pocket.
Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 07:39 PM

If I caught them I'd give them some picks and shovels and let them fix the ruts.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70
If I caught them I'd give them some picks and shovels and let them fix the ruts.

x2

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 07:49 PM

If you build a pond and some dumb [censored] drowns in it you can get sewed if you don't go through the proper measures to try to warn people to stay out.= fences, purple paint, and no trespassing signs. Whats the difference in the pond and the land? scratch

I doubt you'll get "sewed" but you might get sued. No difference though. Either way the landowner still wins because the person was where they shouldn't be without permission. You don't have to fortify private property for the safety of the uninvited public. That's nonsense.
Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 09:27 PM

I doubt you'll get "sewed" but you might get sued. No difference though. Either way the landowner still wins because the person was where they shouldn't be without permission. You don't have to fortify private property for the safety of the uninvited public. That's nonsense.

haha glad someone said it
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70
I had a kid drive through my corn field last year but he did leave his license plate behind . I tracked him down and gave him the option to detail my combine or I'd press charges . So he spent 3 nice 105 degree days making my machine look like new. I figured if I pressed charges it would just come out of his parents pocket.

up
Posted By: cos

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 10:08 PM

Homemade spikestrips, will flatten every tire. Just don't forget about them.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: cos

While I'd love to do this, setting booby traps is where you start getting into some gray areas of the law and open yourself up to a suit.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/05/15 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: cos

While I'd love to do this, setting booby traps is where you start getting into some gray areas of the law and open yourself up to a suit.

Definitely true. Plus I'd forget about them and mess my own stuff up.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 12:12 AM

At one time I worked for a large oil and gas company. I was a multi tasker for the company. I was in control of security, a relief pumper, crew pusher, and did land man stuff. If we had a theft or trespassing problem it was because someone cut their way in and did what ever they were going to do and the only one to blame was them because all measures were taken to keep them out. We built heavy gates, cattle guards, entrance ways, put out trail cams, built fences and still had problems, but we did do what we could to keep them out. We had oil theft in large quantities, equipment theft, and vandalism problems. I hid in the bushes and did surveillance trying to catch the oil tanker that was stealing our oil. We caught them with trail cams finally and it was a major salt water hauler in the area. The guy is in prison. And is co partners that were buying the oil got busted too. I had one well by some drug houses that had a bad theft problem. They were bad about stealing our gates, so we welded them to metal poles and they cut them off with a torch. They got busted stealing from another company in the area in the middle of the day. They would go up to our pumping units and rip all the wire out. Trust me Ive dealt with trespassers in a bad kind of way. If they were just dumping and mudding my job would of been a lot easier. I also had to install chain link fences around our well heads for insurance reasons. Trust if you you think your law suit proof your wrong, but why not go ahead and do what you can to protect your property and you may not have to stress it in the future, up I was a certified land baren a hole. Doesn't mean I liked it, but it paid the bills.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 01:51 AM

That could be the most asinine thing I have read on here. Let me give you a tip don't try that in Shackleford county, if our GW or sheriff catches you your "freedom" will probably be lost for a night.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 02:26 AM

Real Killer is right about the purple paint, no trespassing, etc; no denying those facts if they trespass again.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 02:53 AM

I'm confused. First you say...

Quote:

But then we find out you have already gone to the law...
Quote:

If you guys don't have anything worthwhile to contribute then don't stomp on my thread. The sheriff has already been out on a previous occasion and can't do much without a license plate. Thanks

This is interesting...
Quote:
So you're saying that you think it's the landowner's responsibility to bear the time and expense to keep you from trespassing? I don't think so.

Well, if you want to keep people from trespassing, who do you think will bear the time and expense for you? If the landowner doesn't do it, who will?
Posted By: bobsumner

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Dry Fire

All property in Texas is considered private, unless otherwise posted. Your freedom stops at my property line. By law it is up to you, not me to determine where that property line is. And yes the law dogs show up because shooting from a roadway is against the law.

Exactly. Well said.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 01:28 PM

Hehe! I'm not a lawyer or involved in enforcing the law so I don't know all the ins and outs. But I can tell you what cures it....at least for some.

Back in the day, we did a lot of hard work ranching. Fixing fences, raising hay, cussing balers, messing with cows, all of it. I worked for my friends dad and would stay at their house a lot so we could get an early start, around 5 am. That's hard on 16, 18, 19 yo's. tired There wasn't much for kids our age to do at night. We used to like to go sliding around the muddy roads and whatnot for fun. One night we had a ball sliding all over a pasture. Somehow, we failed to notice it had been planted. We would not have done it otherwise because we knew the work and expense it took. Well, the landowner knew it was us in very short order and called my friends dad either late that night or really early the next morning. OMG!! He yanked us out of bed in the dark and we were dressed in seconds sitting in the truck. Not a word spoken other than to get dress pronto and get in the truck. As we drove, each of us knew what it was. We replanted the field and worked to repay that man for what we had done and my friends dad for his embarrassment. I'm sure they chuckled in private, but man did they work us. I promise you we never entered another pasture and walked a much tighter overall line after that. It was a character builder for sure.

These kids may or may not be in the same boat, but it reminded me of a lesson I got many years ago. grin

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
I'm confused. First you say...

Quote:

But then we find out you have already gone to the law...

If you'll read a little more closely you'll see I have spoken to the law on a previous occasion and like I said there's not much they can do without a plate. Not to mention they've got better things to do than stake out my property watching for jeeps. No I have not spoken to them in regards to this most recent incident and like I said I'd rather settle it directly if its a local kid and I may know their folks or something like it. Either way its not worth getting something on a kids permanent record if things can be made right.

Quote:
Quote:

This is interesting...

Refer to what I said above.

Quote:
Quote:

Well, if you want to keep people from trespassing, who do you think will bear the time and expense for you? If the landowner doesn't do it, who will?

Private property doesn't need a fence or require one. I have one coming but that's besides the point. It's up to you to make sure you're obeying the law not a landowner. If you enter property that you know you aren't given permission to be or even enter private property accidentally then you're breaking the law, whether theres a fence, paint, cameras, guards, whatever, doesn't matter.

Refer to this:

Originally Posted By: Dry Fire

Posted By: texashunter900

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 02:08 PM

I have seen the jeep and the white truck out on the Red River 4 wheeling.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: texashunter900
I have seen the jeep and the white truck out on the Red River 4 wheeling.

If you run across them again and don't mind doin so see if you can grab a plate number if you don't mind. Thanks!!!
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 03:25 PM

I am constantly having problems in Grayson COunty also, poachers and thieves are thick.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 03:34 PM

Yep there's some upstanding citizens around here for sure. I grew up there so I'm quite familiar with the goings on.
Posted By: BTL

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 04:35 PM

It's a fallen world so nothing surprises me these days. It definitely looks like some teenagers out messing around and probably told a friend about a place to go and they showed up later. I would recommend you put up the appropriate signage, forgive them, and move on. If it happened again I would then seek out some type of justice (GW, Sherriff, or find their parents).

Oh and nothing wrong posting the pic's and trying to find them, but with this being an open public forum I think you're only going to get feedback that's going to "stir the pot" and probably make this experience even worse than it already is for you.

God Speed!

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 04:57 PM

Thank you sir! I don't mind the pot stirring, as far as I'm concerned once they entered my property any pictures I have of them taken with my cameras are mine to do with as I please. You're correct though, some folks don't like that kind of thing.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 05:54 PM

You might try sitting at the Post Office or Brookshires parking lots.

Lots of teen's park on the side of the road now days at the entrance to Island View Park now that it is gated off - couple hundred yards south of the entrance to Lighthouse Marina on 289 North.

I'd also cruise the Elks Club, American Legion & VFW parking lots. I know that the beach access at Simmons Shores is being violated right now that the water is down, according to a Board Member I spoke to last week. If you make that route be sure to look at HiLand Shores and Preston Shores ramps too, as they are not locking the gates at nite as per COE Regs for HOA's and lots of late nite stuff goes on at Hiland Shores with young folks bonfires and beer parties. I keep wondering how those HOA's keep their COE Concession Access License Permit. Same problem with folks driving around the locked gates to get on COE land at Simmons Shores.

IMO this sounds like the same older than 'teens with 25-30+ year olds that we used to have a problem with when there was public access to the beach from our street, that is now cordoned off with used TxDot Hwy rail that the COE gave us.
Good Luck
Ron
Posted By: kindall

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 05:58 PM

Its like that all over, and even fencing doesn't stop some of them.
Its just easier to keep (trap) them from getting away from you, if your property has good fences. Nothing funnier than watching them run straight to the gate, where the police are waiting on them. Other than family had one try to get away on his dirt bike, and crashed and burned. He had to push it to the gate where the police took care of him.
Posted By: krod777

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 06:44 PM

Lots of activity in Cooke County. Thieves, trespassers, poachers, shooting into your property. I got it all too!!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 06:56 PM

I do think that I'd dig a trench in the area where the folks are mudding. Cover the trench and put hay on it, and also randomly in other places. Do it right and you won't just have the license plate, but will have the whole truck.

Years ago we had a problem in our Houston subdivision. Kids would drive their trucks up over the curb and scatter our bagged garbage on 'garbage pick up day'. We'd have to put the bags out at night and they'd be picked up very early in the morning. That worked fine till the high school kids got the cool,idea to run over the bags. My neighbor took a big garbage bag, cut a hole in the bottom, fit it over a water hydrant, and then filled the bag with crumpled newspaper. We heard the noise the next morning. He didn't get the whole truck, but he got a bumper and apparently most of the engine oil. Quite a mess. Problem solved.

So dig a trench.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 08:00 PM

Is it true that it is illegal to enter private land, even if it isn't fenced and has no signs up?

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
Is it true that it is illegal to enter private land, even if it isn't fenced and has no signs up?

uhhh..yes it is
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 08:09 PM

It is a much better 'defense' for enforcement if you have a fence (even temporary) and signs.
In this case, I'd get a couple dozen t-posts and a roll of barb wire, and run a 2-string fence with signs across the front & a locked gate, till the permanent fence is built.
Anybody cutting the fence and entering is a criminal, and should be treated as such!

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 08:14 PM

uhhh..yes it is

Here is the law on it:

Sec. 30.05. CRIMINAL TRESPASS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person enters or remains on or in property of another, including residential land, agricultural land, a recreational vehicle park, a building, or an aircraft or other vehicle, without effective consent and the person:
(1) had notice that the entry was forbidden; or
(2) received notice to depart but failed to do so.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 08:24 PM

According to that law then, the answer is "no" as no notice has been given that entry was forbidden.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 08:41 PM

Yessir, I would tend to agree... That is why you see "No Trespassing" signs hung everywhere.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 08:44 PM

It would still be destruction of property in this case, though, since they tore up his land, right?

I've read that passage three times now, and I still find it hard to believe that you can walk into my front yard and not be trespassing, just because we don't have a fence along the border or a no trespassing sign or purple paint. Seems like a loophole, but that's the way it reads.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 08:51 PM

Should've mentioned earlier that yes there are signs up and have been for sometime.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
I've read that passage three times now, and I still find it hard to believe that you can walk into my front yard and not be trespassing, just because we don't have a fence along the border or a no trespassing sign or purple paint. Seems like a loophole, but that's the way it reads.

I'm not an attorney, but I have been down this road. A police officer felt trespass occurred when someone simply walked onto another persons property without permission. In that instance, the officer was found to be wrong because there was nothing posted to alert the person that his entry was not permissible.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 08:59 PM

Sec. 28.03. CRIMINAL MISCHIEF. (a) A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner:
(1) he intentionally or knowingly damages or destroys the tangible property of the owner;
(2) he intentionally or knowingly tampers with the tangible property of the owner and causes pecuniary loss or substantial inconvenience to the owner or a third person; or
(3) he intentionally or knowingly makes markings, including inscriptions, slogans, drawings, or paintings, on the tangible property of the owner.
(b) Except as provided by Subsections (f) and (h), an offense under this section is:
(1) a Class C misdemeanor if:
(A) the amount of pecuniary loss is less than $50; or
(B) except as provided in Subdivision (3)(A) or (3)(B), it causes substantial inconvenience to others;
(2) a Class B misdemeanor if the amount of pecuniary loss is $50 or more but less than $500;
(3) a Class A misdemeanor if:
(A) the amount of pecuniary loss is $500 or more but less than $1,500; or
(B) the actor causes in whole or in part impairment or interruption of any public water supply, or causes to be diverted in whole, in part, or in any manner, including installation or removal of any device for any such purpose, any public water supply, regardless of the amount of the pecuniary loss;
(4) a state jail felony if the amount of pecuniary loss is:
(A) $1,500 or more but less than $20,000;
(B) less than $1,500, if the property damaged or destroyed is a habitation and if the damage or destruction is caused by a firearm or explosive weapon;

Sec. 28.04. RECKLESS DAMAGE OR DESTRUCTION. (a) A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner, he recklessly damages or destroys property of the owner.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

I'm not an attorney, but I have been down this road. A police officer felt trespass occurred when someone simply walked onto another persons property without permission. In that instance, the officer was found to be wrong because there was nothing posted to alert the person that his entry was not permissible.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. Guess it doesn't matter, because the OP says he has signs posted.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 09:04 PM

Sec. 28.03. CRIMINAL MISCHIEF.

There...now you have something... up

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 09:06 PM

Plus criminal trespass is a case that is pursued by the authorities, you can go after a trespasser in civil court without criminal trespass charges filed. It's a moot point though because I don't intend to do any of that. Like I said originally, I just want to get them to stop but don't want anyone winding up in real trouble unless they keep it up.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 09:07 PM

Yessir, and I agree with that approach.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 09:36 PM

csi

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 10:18 PM

I'm with you, MD. I think it's the right way to go about, given what you're showed and told us. If it's kids, no reason, at this point, to have them arrested if you can find them and talk to them or their parents. Might not work and then you can hopefully get the authorities to take it from there.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 10:29 PM

Plus I've got additional cams up now so I'll catch a plate if they come back and/or don't steal my cameras. We'll see.
Posted By: cm250

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 11:05 PM

Hey Myron, sent ya a pm on another subject my friend.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/06/15 11:31 PM

We had 75 trail cams out on the oil and gas leases trying to catch the oil thieves. It was a tri county and TX ranger investigation. The cams caught the guy and it was our own salt water haulers stealing our oil. They knew what we had because they pulled our salt water tanks down all the time. They had it going on with their dispatch station and knew where to be at, at all the right times. Isnt it nice when the company your paying to haul your salt water off steals from you too. 75 trail cams sounds like a lot of moneys worth at 300 dollars a piece doesn't it? Whats one truck load equals 130 barrels of oil at 100 dollars a barrel times 77 truck loads? csi

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/07/15 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: cm250
Hey Myron, sent ya a pm on another subject my friend.

Try me again I didn't see anything. Just emptied out my box though and could have missed it.
Posted By: nak

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/07/15 04:43 AM

I hope the Op has better luck than I did with reporting trespass. I had an attempted break-in to our cabin (trashed the door pretty bad, but did not get in) with theft of some tools and a ladder. Couple of months later, we had another theft of everything not tied down from the car port and several hundred in damages to my old 4X4 they were trying to steal.

I put up several hidden game cams and a decoy cam that was easy to spot and steal. One of the cameras caught a skinny woman crawling through the locked gate, which has a "no trespassing" sign on it. The picture included a clear view of the vehicle she was in. You could read the license plate and identify the make, model, and year of the truck. Good profile view of the woman's face...clearly not a minor.

I turned all the pics over the Anderson County SO and made it clear I wanted to press charges for trespass. That is the last I heard about it. Follow up calls and emails were not even responded to.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/07/15 05:06 AM

Yessir, and I agree with that approach.
Me too. Sometimes you can win the battle and lose the war.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/07/15 05:13 AM

Originally Posted By: nak
I hope the Op has better luck than I did with reporting trespass. I had an attempted break-in to our cabin (trashed the door pretty bad, but did not get in) with theft of some tools and a ladder. Couple of months later, we had another theft of everything not tied down from the car port and several hundred in damages to my old 4X4 they were trying to steal.

I put up several hidden game cams and a decoy cam that was easy to spot and steal. One of the cameras caught a skinny woman crawling through the locked gate, which has a "no trespassing" sign on it. The picture included a clear view of the vehicle she was in. You could read the license plate and identify the make, model, and year of the truck. Good profile view of the woman's face...clearly not a minor.

I turned all the pics over the Anderson County SO and made it clear I wanted to press charges for trespass. That is the last I heard about it. Follow up calls and emails were not even responded to.
That's not acceptable. Have you filed a complaint about it? It seems like the LEOs should be up to this task. That sounds like a slam dunk.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/07/15 07:11 PM

uhhh..yes it is

Here is the law on it:

Sec. 30.05. CRIMINAL TRESPASS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person enters or remains on or in property of another, including residential land, agricultural land, a recreational vehicle park, a building, or an aircraft or other vehicle, without effective consent and the person:

THose pesky definitions....

"Notice" means:
(A) oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner;
(B) fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain livestock;
(C) a sign or signs posted on the property or at the entrance to the building, reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, indicating that entry is forbidden;
(D) the placement of identifying purple paint marks on trees or posts on the property, provided that the marks are:
(i) vertical lines of not less than eight inches in length and not less than one inch in width;
(ii) placed so that the bottom of the mark is not less than three feet from the ground or more than five feet from the ground; and
(iii) placed at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property and no more than:
(a) 100 feet apart on forest land; or
(b) 1,000 feet apart on land other than forest land; or
(E) the visible presence on the property of a crop grown for human consumption that is under cultivation, in the process of being harvested, or marketable if harvested at the time of entry.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/07/15 07:12 PM

if you really want to hang someone, put a cross on the property and pray there... the crime escalates dramatically.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/07/15 07:45 PM

Wow. Good luck with that.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/07/15 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

uhhh..yes it is

Here is the law on it:

THose pesky definitions....

"Notice" means:
(A) oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner;
(B) fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain livestock;
(C) a sign or signs posted on the property or at the entrance to the building, reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, indicating that entry is forbidden;
(D) the placement of identifying purple paint marks on trees or posts on the property, provided that the marks are:
(i) vertical lines of not less than eight inches in length and not less than one inch in width;
(ii) placed so that the bottom of the mark is not less than three feet from the ground or more than five feet from the ground; and
(iii) placed at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property and no more than:
(a) 100 feet apart on forest land; or
(b) 1,000 feet apart on land other than forest land; or
(E) the visible presence on the property of a crop grown for human consumption that is under cultivation, in the process of being harvested, or marketable if harvested at the time of entry.

That doesn't add or change a thing in this case as none of them were in place per the OP. No fence on the street side, no sign, no nothing... Had he stated that one or more of the definitions of notice were in place, I would have added that part of the law. grin

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/07/15 09:52 PM

I am not talking about the case of the op with my question. So, as I understand it, it is not illegal to enter an unfenced, unmarked piece of land with no crops growing on it. You could even hunt on it.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/08/15 03:35 AM

Seems that way, even with the definition of notices and it's really hard to believe.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/08/15 12:22 PM

We had 75 trail cams out on the oil and gas leases trying to catch the oil thieves. It was a tri county and TX ranger investigation. The cams caught the guy and it was our own salt water haulers stealing our oil. They knew what we had because they pulled our salt water tanks down all the time. They had it going on with their dispatch station and knew where to be at, at all the right times. Isnt it nice when the company your paying to haul your salt water off steals from you too. 75 trail cams sounds like a lot of moneys worth at 300 dollars a piece doesn't it? Whats one truck load equals 130 barrels of oil at 100 dollars a barrel times 77 truck loads? csi

If your water hauler is stealing oil I'm going to start firing right up the line and start with the pumper then the production supervisor, if it happened more than once most likely they're in on it. If they get out with a truckload your a dumbarse for not paying attention and need your arse run off.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/08/15 06:41 PM

For the record, yes there were and have been "Posted No Trespassing" signs on the property. Regardless, no matter what the law says regarding trespassing, destruction of property is a whole other deal as is poaching. There's more to it than just the one law about trespassing that's been posted.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/09/15 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

If your water hauler is stealing oil I'm going to start firing right up the line and start with the pumper then the production supervisor, if it happened more than once most likely they're in on it. If they get out with a truckload your a dumbarse for not paying attention and need your arse run off.

Rowr, hwyman. Rowr. eek2

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/09/15 02:19 PM

What you don't realize is that you cant start firing people if you don't have 100% proof of the wrong doings. Ever herd of wrongful termination. The water haulers were the first on everybodys list, but when you have a multi million contract with a company you cant throw a fit and start firing people because you have a theft problem. Remember this was a tri county investigation and texas ranger investigation. You ought to call them since you know the law so well and tell them they didn't know what they were doing and see what they have say. They couldn't even catch them. I was an employee that did what I was told and it eventually led to an arrest. The water haulers haul water 24 7 and most of the time the thefts occur when most normal people are sleeping. As for the backwards thinking opinion. I try to give you all aspects of my opinion. I do have experience with land and property disputes. If you go before a judge and say they were on my property and were breaking the law, he might ask you all the details. When you mention no fencing on a certain portion of your property and possibly a lack of no trespassing signs/ purple paint he would mention the fact that you can go onto a piece of property that doesn't belong to you, but are particulars, and he may explain them to you. I don't condone illegal activity, but you may want to put yourself in someone elses shoes before you start calling the shots. Ive been all over east tx checking pipelines on various peoples properties and didn't ask permission because I was on the pipeline itself, but technically I was on someone elses property. Depending on an on an individual that may have seen me would depend on their reaction of decisions made at the time. I did no have to get their consent because I was checking a pipeline that may of ran through their property. You have to be able to make a good judgement when seeing people on private property that you may think that they dont belong there. Ive always tried to be fair to my fellow man and not try to be irrational. I would hope that others will do the same for me too. flag

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/09/15 02:49 PM

What you don't realize is that you cant start firing people if you don't have 100% proof of the wrong doings. Ever herd of wrongful termination. The water haulers were the first on everybodys list, but when you have a multi million contract with a company you cant throw a fit and start firing people because you have a theft problem. Remember this was a tri county investigation and texas ranger investigation. You ought to call them since you know the law so well and tell them they didn't know what they were doing and see what they have say. They couldn't even catch them. I was an employee that did what I was told and it eventually led to an arrest. The water haulers haul water 24 7 and most of the time the thefts occur when most normal people are sleeping. As for the backwards thinking opinion. I try to give you all aspects of my opinion. I do have experience with land and property disputes. If you go before a judge and say they were on my property and were breaking the law, he might ask you all the details. When you mention no fencing on a certain portion of your property and possibly a lack of no trespassing signs/ purple paint he would mention the fact that you can go onto a piece of property that doesn't belong to you, but are particulars, and he may explain them to you. I don't condone illegal activity, but you may want to put yourself in someone elses shoes before you start calling the shots. Ive been all over east tx checking pipelines on various peoples properties and didn't ask permission because I was on the pipeline itself, but technically I was on someone elses property. Depending on an on an individual that may have seen me would depend on their reaction of decisions made at the time. I did no have to get their consent because I was checking a pipeline that may of ran through their property. You have to be able to make a good judgement when seeing people on private property that you may think that they dont belong there. Ive always tried to be fair to my fellow man and not try to be irrational. I would hope that others will do the same for me too. flag

Checking pipelines / services wells, etc. is entirely different than your regular trespasser or poacher. As part of the lease for that pipeline or well there are provisions to allow the proper personnel on the property for business in regards to that well unit or pipeline. That's why nobody gave you a hard time. Plus had you torn up the property for some reason, depending on the wording of the lease, the oil company would probably owe surface damages to the owner. Happens all the time.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/09/15 03:34 PM

My point is that its a visual thing. Ive driven past trail cams on pipelines and can be in town and some hyprochondriac will stop me and ask why were you on my property and we called the law on you. When I explain why Im in a truck or 4 wheeler checking wells or pipelines they say ohhhh well called the law on you anyways. This is what Im talking about. They saw someone on their property and their first reaction was to call the law and not to try and analyze the situation. Its the same way either with trail cams or in person. People would rather call the law rather than simply ask what Im doing or try to figure out why I was only seen on the pipeline or location. Its chicken sh t. Now if I was acting in a foolish/or violent manner on their property I would understand. I see people all the time in the leases and make quick judgements. They could be a hunting club member of that lease, or a contractor, powerline company, ect. The oilfield is a heavy traffic area in the terms of being mostly in the country. If I spent all my time running down each individual I saw and asking them questions about what they were doing there ,I would never get anything else done and probably would be harmed for disrespecting working people. I do see people that don't belong from time to time and most of the time they see someone they just haul it out of there anyways. If I can I will catch a tag and pic and I will take documentation in case something comes up missing or damaged. I know the rules of the pipeline, oil lease situation. Ive worked in the oilfield since 1992. up

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/09/15 04:10 PM

My point is that its a visual thing. Ive driven past trail cams on pipelines and can be in town and some hyprochondriac will stop me and ask why were you on my property and we called the law on you. When I explain why Im in a truck or 4 wheeler checking wells or pipelines they say ohhhh well called the law on you anyways. This is what Im talking about. They saw someone on their property and their first reaction was to call the law and not to try and analyze the situation. Its the same way either with trail cams or in person. People would rather call the law rather than simply ask what Im doing or try to figure out why I was only seen on the pipeline or location. Its chicken sh t. Now if I was acting in a foolish/or violent manner on their property I would understand. I see people all the time in the leases and make quick judgements. They could be a hunting club member of that lease, or a contractor, powerline company, ect. The oilfield is a heavy traffic area in the terms of being mostly in the country. If I spent all my time running down each individual I saw and asking them questions about what they were doing there ,I would never get anything else done and probably would be harmed for disrespecting working people. I do see people that don't belong from time to time and most of the time they see someone they just haul it out of there anyways. If I can I will catch a tag and pic and I will take documentation in case something comes up missing or damaged. I know the rules of the pipeline, oil lease situation. Ive worked in the oilfield since 1992. up

Then should know we are talking about two different things.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/09/15 04:36 PM

Same subject just different situations in different parts of Texas
Posted By: JRR

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/18/15 01:33 AM

Ag fields near me have huge ruts in them from "kids" 4 wheeling through them. I just hope years from now they have a nice place and somebody thinks it's funny to mess it up for them.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/18/15 01:06 PM

"Hyprochondriac"?

First: spellcheck, believe it.

Second: I don't think that word means what you think it means...
Posted By: Cast

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/18/15 01:20 PM

I had the rut problem on the 55 acres I maintain here at the house. I closed the entrances with telephone poles and rocks. That stopped it for a while. When it happened again, I could follow the tracks back to property that adjoined the acreage and found the kids old beater truck in the back yard. I told the kid that works with me to let it be known that if it happened again he would come home to a truck rolled over on its back. He knew I could do it with my FEL. I never woulda, but that stopped it.

Re: Trespassers: Grayson County - 04/18/15 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher

"Hyprochondriac"?

First: spellcheck, believe it.

Second: I don't think that word means what you think it means...

rofl
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum