Texas Hunting Forum

Experiment

Posted By: don k

Experiment - 04/01/15 03:28 PM

I am going to try something. 5 WT does, a buck fawn, a 4 point, 6 point and 9 point and 2 Axis does have gotten into about a 20 acre trap that I was deferring from the Ibex. Starting since about the first of the year I have been feeding free choice all they want Lyssy deer protein. Also have a feeder that throws out a few seconds of corn twice a day. Also have been feeding Beef Grower which is a textured feed from Lindners in Comfort. This is the feed I feed the Ibex. I want to see first hand what the difference in antler grow and fawn growth from non feed deer from around here. We shall see if I can keep them until about August and what the cost is and if it is worth it money wise.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Experiment - 04/01/15 03:30 PM

Be interesting for sure...post some Pics Sir up
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Experiment - 04/01/15 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

X2
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Experiment - 04/01/15 03:54 PM

So your saying people hunt Ibex inside your 20 acre trap? stir
Posted By: texfork

Re: Experiment - 04/01/15 04:06 PM

Looking forward to the results .
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Experiment - 04/01/15 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: JRJ6

X2

X3 I've got my popcorn ready
Posted By: Western

Re: Experiment - 04/01/15 04:31 PM

X's 4
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Experiment - 04/01/15 07:20 PM

deer2 deer2 deer2
SnipeRAB..X2.
It is really a good experiment.
If the pictures are posted regularly we will be educated a lot.

stir
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Experiment - 04/01/15 07:43 PM

Interesting project - looking forward to your updates and pics.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Experiment - 04/01/15 09:35 PM

Sounds intresting Don, can you get some before and after photos?

Re: Experiment - 04/01/15 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BOONER
I do not hunt Ibex here. I raise them. You must be one of those anti HF liberals that voted for Obama on here that sound off frequently.

Re: Experiment - 04/01/15 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49
Sounds intresting Don, can you get some before and after photos?
I did not take any before pictures. I found one half of the 9 points antler. They stay in about a 3 acre cedar brake during the day and I do not want to go looking for sheds in there.

Re: Experiment - 04/01/15 10:03 PM

Is this a controlled study DK roflmao

You know if this turns into a should I feed protein or not

Txshntr and STX will lock up like two show dogs roflmao
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Experiment - 04/01/15 11:54 PM

Can you be certain the deer in the alternate group are not getting similar or better feed or into a better food plot? Always thought you had to have "controlled" groups to compare. 2cents
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Experiment - 04/02/15 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
I am going to try something. 5 WT does, a buck fawn, a 4 point, 6 point and 9 point and 2 Axis does have gotten into about a 20 acre trap that I was deferring from the Ibex. Starting since about the first of the year I have been feeding free choice all they want Lyssy deer protein. Also have a feeder that throws out a few seconds of corn twice a day. Also have been feeding Beef Grower which is a textured feed from Lindners in Comfort. This is the feed I feed the Ibex. I want to see first hand what the difference in antler grow and fawn growth from non feed deer from around here. We shall see if I can keep them until about August and what the cost is and if it is worth it money wise.

No matter how it turns out, if they are expendable come fall, please let me know.
Posted By: crosshare

Re: Experiment - 04/02/15 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

No matter how it turns out, if they are expendable come fall, please let me know.

^^^ I second that motion! Or I'm second on the list, how ever you wanna look at it. cheers

Re: Experiment - 04/02/15 02:08 AM

I do not hunt Ibex here. I raise them. You must be one of those anti HF liberals that voted for Obama on here that sound off frequently.

Lol Don. I'm not against HFs and I damn sure didn't vote for Obama. I thought with the pot stirring you would detect my sarcasm.

Re: Experiment - 04/02/15 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Can you be certain the deer in the alternate group are not getting similar or better feed or into a better food plot? Always thought you had to have "controlled" groups to compare. 2cents
My control groups are probably more true to life than any control group tests anyone else has done.

Re: Experiment - 04/02/15 02:59 AM

I am curious and I am NOT being Factious...

I LOVE a toad Ibex
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Experiment - 04/02/15 03:11 AM

I predict that this will prove my point and STX will have to find something else to argue with me about popcorn

Re: Experiment - 04/02/15 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

I predict that this will prove my point and STX will have to find something else to argue with me about popcorn
I can't get the picture of the two locked up like dogs out of my head.

Re: Experiment - 04/02/15 12:24 PM

Don are you going to try and keep us posted with some pics?

Re: Experiment - 04/02/15 01:37 PM

If I am the closest On the results Don has promised me a Toad Ibex to run a Slick Trick Thru... bolt

Re: Experiment - 04/02/15 03:36 PM

Of shooting Ibex in a 20 acre trap?

Re: Experiment - 04/02/15 05:46 PM

Of shooting Ibex in a 20 acre trap?

Don't forget the axis and whitetail. banana
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Experiment - 04/02/15 06:58 PM

Sounds like a very interesting little experiment. In 20 acres these deer will nearly be "pen raised" so they should really hit the protein hard.

Probably a little late to really affect this years' antlers on the bucks, but you might notice a difference in the body weights, size of fawns,etc.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Experiment - 04/03/15 04:26 AM

Where is Nogalus??? popcorn

Re: Experiment - 04/03/15 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Where is Nogalus??? popcorn
I have been wondering the same thing.

Re: Experiment - 04/03/15 01:56 PM

Figured out feed cost. They are eating 15# of L&E deer pellets per day. 3# of beef grower and 4# of corn. $3.45 for pellets. .69$ for beef grower and .60$ for corn. $4.74 per day. I have gone up and down with the amount of feed. Right now this is what they eat without wasting any.

Re: Experiment - 04/03/15 02:46 PM

Need a Chart roflmao

I am a bottom line Rubber Bullets

Is the end result to see if its more cost effective and yields the same results Sir...Under pen conditions of course

Re: Experiment - 04/03/15 02:47 PM

So you are looking at $ 8.19 a day roughly on L&E or the other

Re: Experiment - 04/03/15 03:25 PM

So you are looking at $ 8.19 a day roughly on L&E or the other
What is the $8.19 a day? I am just wondering for myself if it is worth the money for me to feed the deer all they want. If there is a reasonable return on time and feed cost as to what I receive for hunting the deer. It is easier and less costly to do it on a small scale as opposed to doing it on the entire place.

Re: Experiment - 04/03/15 04:29 PM

Gotcha
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Experiment - 04/03/15 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: TxAg
Probably a little late to really affect this years' antlers on the bucks, but you might notice a difference in the body weights, size of fawns,etc.

They haven't even started growing antlers yet. You're saying if you poor the feed to them for the next 12 weeks it won't impact them much? I realize they didn't have the recovery protein in Jan-Mar but 12 weeks of protein should make a substantial difference in both body and antler development.

Re: Experiment - 04/03/15 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: TxAg

They haven't even started growing antlers yet. You're saying if you poor the feed to them for the next 12 weeks it won't impact them much? I realize they didn't have the recovery protein in Jan-Mar but 12 weeks of protein should make a substantial difference in both body and antler development.
I started this in early Jan.
Posted By: Geronimo509

Re: Experiment - 04/03/15 09:41 PM

I'd be interested in seeing the results as well
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum