Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder throwers?

Posted By: hunt-n-agg

Feeder throwers? - 04/01/15 01:43 AM

I am looking at replacing a couple of throwers on my feeders. I was wondering what is a good reliable 6 volt thrower that isn't going to brake the bank. Any input would be appreciated.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Feeder throwers? - 04/01/15 12:10 PM

Sunslinger. Solar panel, timer all housed in a metal case. No wires or external parts for coons and squirrels to tear up. Very reliable. About $80 retail, but you can buy them at valleyseek.com for $50.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Feeder throwers? - 04/01/15 02:15 PM

Do yourself a favor and get a 12 volt feeder.
Posted By: txvarminter

Re: Feeder throwers? - 04/01/15 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy

This up Have several 6 volt and they are always having problems
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Feeder throwers? - 04/01/15 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: txvarminter
Originally Posted By: sqiggy

This up Have several 6 volt and they are always having problems

They will save you money in the long run up
Posted By: passthru

Re: Feeder throwers? - 04/01/15 04:52 PM

I don't understand that. I have a Triple C 6 volt unit and it has been running like a champ for years. If you buy that Wild Game or Moultrie garbage that's what you will get but there are some quality 6v units out there. Personally I would go with a 12 volt the next time but only because my cameras are 12v and one charger, one spare battery type would make it simple. And the 12v units sling corn farther.
Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: Feeder throwers? - 04/04/15 04:44 PM

My suggestion is buy quality weather it be 6 or 12 buy quality. My buddies buy cheaper and I buy quality they have problems and I don't. I understand it cost more up front but in long run it is cheaper. Look at the life of the feeder and battery and how long its going to last. The clock and the solar panel is what its all about. The timer is simple and efficient. It comes in different brands of feeders. Look to spend 100 to 150 on a feeder unit that mounts to the bottom of a barrel. 12 bucks a month for the year and 6 bucks a month for 2 years leave it running in the off season. change clock battery yearly. My feeders have been running for 5-8 years no problems, buy a quality unit.
Posted By: cm250

Re: Feeder throwers? - 04/05/15 02:58 PM

Get ya a couple "On time" lifetime throwers. Will run a year on 11 AA batteries. 1/4" Aluminum funnel for bottom of your barrel, heavy aluminum housing for electronics and batteries. Been running them for ten plus years. Very few issues out of five, and when ya do have a problem, "On Time", Will replace problem component for free, all you pay is about $6.00 shipping and handling. Run about $90.00 I believe. Hard to beat..... my .02 worth.
Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: Feeder throwers? - 04/06/15 01:25 AM

not a bad unit the only problems Is coons for some reason like those spin plates. I have a cage around it and they still got it and ate it in half. That sucker is a type of metal also.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Feeder throwers? - 04/07/15 12:49 AM

Best one I have is an Elusive Wildlife 12V with the eliminator plate and you can hook up their pig light into it too and run the feeder and light on the same charger and not worry about coons with the plate on it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum