Texas Hunting Forum

Trail Cam Recommendations

Posted By: miked1

Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/24/15 05:31 AM

Need to buy two or three new trail cams. Would prefer not to spend $500 on Reconyx...
Just need something to take good stills day and night. Would probably prefer something other than incandescent flash to minimize spooking game.
What are you using that you are happy with for less than $200. Thanks.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/24/15 10:45 AM

Browning 8mp, $115 or less
Posted By: tlk

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/24/15 10:46 AM

Primos ultra blackouts have worked well for us and simple to use. Also the Moultries overall are good - we run around 20 cameras so we have experimented with a lot of them
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/24/15 11:58 AM

I have used the Bushnell cameras for a few years now with good success
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/24/15 11:59 AM

I have had good luck in the past with Primos Truth, SpyPoint and Bushnell cams. All were IR cams.
Posted By: Western

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/24/15 12:02 PM

Browning Strike Force, for the $ no question IMO. Mine beat any I have had, but avoid the Black OPs model, it would work best for guarding an entrance door or similar.

This one , then look around the site, great write ups on most main models. I see they took down the 2014 reviews as they are reviewing the 2015 models, last year rated as best buy.

http://www.trailcampro.com/browningstrikeforcereview.aspx
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/24/15 02:29 PM

I've had good results with the Moultrie brand.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/24/15 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I have had good luck in the past with Primos Truth, SpyPoint and Bushnell cams. All were IR cams.

Any of the above and anything but Wildgame Innovations
Posted By: tlk

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/24/15 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

or Cuddyback - horrible
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/24/15 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk

or Cuddyback - horrible

I got some old cuddybacks that are pretty sweet.. these were the ones as big as a brick though
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/24/15 02:57 PM

This is the only camera ill buy anymore... 4AA batteries is all to run it..

Posted By: Whiptail

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/24/15 03:36 PM

I bought one a refurbished one off this site for $50 and it actually works pretty good.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...ES_#Post5558528
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/24/15 04:54 PM

Primos has refurbished equipment of all kinds on their website, to include cameras but it can be it and miss.You just have to check back from time to time.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/25/15 01:50 PM

Bushnell Trophy cam has been by far my best camera. It finally crapped out this past season. Got about 8 or so years out of it. Just bought 2 called Bresser. Looks just like the Bushnell and has the same guts for half the price. Got them for $71 thru Sportsmanguide. So far, they have been taking great pics.
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/26/15 12:08 PM

bushnell trophy and browning cameras are pretty good for what's available these days... lots of other good cameras have come and gone...

I've found the best thing to do for battery cost is buying the expensive lithium. they're about twice as expensive, but will last around 4 time longer (counting photos until batteries are dead). I have ran anywhere from 10-20 cameras a year for the last 10 years.
Posted By: hornet527

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/26/15 02:31 PM

believe it or not, i have 5 of the cheap Wildgame Innovations and they have been working fine for 2 years. i built small boxes to cover them and help protect them and they are doing fine. ive owned 2 stealth cams and both were pos
Posted By: JHOG

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/26/15 06:08 PM

We use Moultrie M-550 on our property. Cheap but very well made. The two we have last about 4-5 months per set of batteries and have held up to the cold weather for 3 years now. They take very clear pictures as well.
Posted By: boonee

Re: Trail Cam Recommendations - 03/27/15 03:39 AM

It seems to be hit and miss for me! I have had the cheapest that lasted for a few seasons, as well as nice one that failed before the season was over,and of coarse some stolen.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum