Texas Hunting Forum

Taste of other American Game..

Posted By: chital_shikari

Taste of other American Game.. - 03/22/15 02:58 PM

I've eaten quite a bit of exotics, elk, and whitetail. I've heard great things about moose, caribou, and mixed regie s on mule deer. But what about pronghorn and the sheep? How do they taste?
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/22/15 03:55 PM

Compared to the other animals you mentioned, they are barely edible.
I've had some decent antelope sausage but it takes a lot of know how and work to make it good.
wild goat is tough to comsume in any form IMO.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/22/15 04:27 PM

Pronghorn and mule deer are both a product of their environment (and more so than many other game animals). If you harvest one that is near a corn/alfalfa/wheat fields, they taste excellent. If you harvest one that is 100% living off of sage and other brush, they usually taste horrible.

Just harvested a sheep the other day and will be able to answer that question in a couple weeks. I shot a 3 year old for a couple reasons: 1) I want my daughter to shoot a bigger one and one-up dad 2) I want to see if it is edible (if daughter gets a bigger one, will compare those two as well).
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/22/15 08:02 PM

My experience on pronghorn is that it is not as good as elk, axis deer, whitetail or mule deer. Never have had any non domestic sheep so I cannot comment there.
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/22/15 08:27 PM

Alaskan Dall and Stone sheep eaten in camp after 10 to 15 days of climbing up and down mountains.... GREAT. We cooked them right in the skillet without adding any fat just a little salt/pepper. BAM!
Pronghorn New Mexico (sage) not good .Colorado was better.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/22/15 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
Alaskan Dall and Stone sheep eaten in camp after 10 to 15 days of climbing up and down mountains.... GREAT. We cooked them right in the skillet without adding any fat just a little salt/pepper. BAM!

After 10-15 days of climbing I would eat anything roflmao

Never been fond of it but some enjoy it...after seeing Navasot eat a Javilina anything is possible up
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/23/15 12:30 AM

After you batter it and fry it most start tasting the same. You tend to not want to ruin farm raised buffalo or elk prime cuts that way though. Sage animals do require some presoaking though.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/23/15 02:04 AM

Never killed an animal I thought tasted bad.. Clean it right cook it right... Duck is a big example.. I look forward to every duck season to get aholt of fresh birds.. I got an itchy trigger finger but I hunt for one oh so simple reason
Posted By: rjd

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/23/15 04:31 AM

I am going to be odd man out. We have hunted Antelope in Colorado and Wyoming. Every animal we have taken has been gutted immediately and skinned/cooled ASAP. It has been deemed better than whitetail by just about everyone who has tried it. We much prefer it to deer. Elk is great, although the last one we got was a tad old and tough. Moose is even better. Although I would rate Avis above all these, Moose, Antelope, Elk, Deer would be my order of best tasting. Haven't tried Sheep.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/23/15 04:35 PM

Axis is the best in my opinion
Posted By: Flags

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/23/15 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: rjd
I am going to be odd man out. We have hunted Antelope in Colorado and Wyoming. Every animal we have taken has been gutted immediately and skinned/cooled ASAP. It has been deemed better than whitetail by just about everyone who has tried it.

This mirrors my experience. Many people don't immediately gut/skin/cool antelope as quickly as they should. This is one animal that needs to be taken care of [censored] soon as it is killed and the photos taken. That hollow hair insulates really well and they are normally shot when it is warm.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/23/15 10:17 PM

Living in New Mexico I grew up eating a lot of pronghorn, and it is by far my favorite meat. You do need to care for it properly. By that I mean keeping it clean in the field and getting it cooled down quick. I also strongly suggest you take the time to de-bone it, as the marrow is where much of the unpleasant taste comes from. Also I age it for ~1 week before I cut it up.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/23/15 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Flags
I am going to be odd man out. We have hunted Antelope in Colorado and Wyoming. Every animal we have taken has been gutted immediately and skinned/cooled ASAP. It has been deemed better than whitetail by just about everyone who has tried it.

This mirrors my experience. Many people don't immediately gut/skin/cool antelope as quickly as they should. This is one animal that needs to be taken care of [censored] soon as it is killed and the photos taken. That hollow hair insulates really well and they are normally shot when it is warm.

Make it times three. Pronghorn meat is fantastic.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/23/15 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

After 10-15 days of climbing I would eat anything roflmao

Never been fond of it but some enjoy it...after seeing Navasot eat a Javilina anything is possible up

I hear that female javelina is dang tasty. I killed a male and female but they stunk so bad I didn't even try one. That was before I knew about the females being good though.
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/24/15 01:00 AM

I am going to be odd man out. We have hunted Antelope in Colorado and Wyoming. Every animal we have taken has been gutted immediately and skinned/cooled ASAP. It has been deemed better than whitetail by just about everyone who has tried it. We much prefer it to deer. Elk is great, although the last one we got was a tad old and tough. Moose is even better. Although I would rate Avis above all these, Moose, Antelope, Elk, Deer would be my order of best tasting. Haven't tried Sheep.

I'm with you. I bought a landowner antelope tag last year and killed my first one. Speed Goat is my new favorite meat.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/24/15 01:55 AM

antelope chops...great
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/24/15 03:21 AM

I ate some Texas big horn sheep. Didn't taste like a $100,000 sheep that the tag cost but wasn't too bad fried.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/24/15 03:26 AM

It all depends on the animal's diet, immediate care of the carcass and the cook. Even the best can be ruined y the hunter and or the cook.
Posted By: erok11

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/25/15 05:40 PM

Mule deer and Pronghorn are great. My wife preferred the antelope over whitetail. I thought they were about equal.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/25/15 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Never killed an animal I thought tasted bad.. Clean it right cook it right... Duck is a big example.. I look forward to every duck season to get aholt of fresh birds.. I got an itchy trigger finger but I hunt for one oh so simple reason

Best comment Navasot. It is always the meat care which determines it taste.of course,environment/food do play their role....IF YOU PREPARE IT RIGT IT WILL TASTE RIGHT. food food
Posted By: proudtexan

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/26/15 12:31 AM

Moose and musk ox have little to no taste at all. Both require a lot of seasoning, sauces, or mixing with some other meat such as pork to add some fat and flavor. Both make great sausages, hot links,jerky, and just about anything smoked. Caribou is just plain nasty.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/26/15 03:43 PM

I have eaten pronghorn and liked it. I have eaten axis and audad and they both taste the same to me, I will eat it but prefer whitetail over it and many other things.

I also think care and preparation probably means the most.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/29/15 11:17 PM

Shot an antelope around Douglas Wyoming in 1990. Processed it immediately. Tasted like intense sage as I assume this is what it was eating. Made great friends with my neighbors as I gave it all away after the 2nd try at eating it.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/29/15 11:20 PM

You're not in the minority, feel same way about pronghorn. I've probably killed a dozen or so
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/29/15 11:33 PM

Of what I have eaten I like them in this order:

1)Moose

Tied for 2nd: Elk, whitetail, mountain sheep

3)Pronghorn

Truth is, I like them all pretty well. So the ranking is really close. But the moose was outstanding.

I do not like bear. Too greasy and grainy to me. Poor flavor. Maybe OK in a stew or chili IDK.

I hear so much great about axis I would like to try some.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 03/30/15 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I have eaten pronghorn and liked it. I have eaten axis and audad and they both taste the same to me, I will eat it but prefer whitetail over it and many other things.

I also think care and preparation probably means the most.

X2 redchevy...That`s why I am seriously Looking for a tastebud doctor..LOL
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 04/01/15 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I hear so much great about axis I would like to try some.
Axis and red deer are right up there with nilgai, oryx, and elk.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Taste of other American Game.. - 04/02/15 06:01 PM

I've had Canadian mule deer (although I did not shoot it) and it is very tasty. Try Illinois whitetail sometime - I would put it up against the big three - elk, moose, buffalo.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum