Texas Hunting Forum

Active duty licence

Posted By: ChrisB

Active duty licence - 03/10/15 12:47 AM

I have a friend coming home from Germany that has been in the Army for 15 years. He hasn't had a Texas drivers license since he joined and has been over seas most of the time. Does he qualify for the free resident active duty license? I just want to take him hog hunting.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Active duty licence - 03/10/15 05:11 AM

I think so, I know he does if he has been assigned to a military installation in Texas, but here on leave might be different.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Active duty licence - 03/10/15 07:47 AM

Yes, but as either an official Texas resident or nonresident stationed in Texas. If so, he qualifies for a free Super Combo hunting/fishing license. I would add that a Texas driver's license does not expire for active military, although I always keep mine current.

Re: Active duty licence - 03/10/15 03:17 PM

Thanks guys. Looks like all active duty can purchase a regular resident hunting license. That may be easier than trying to prove he's from Texas. He actually owns a home in Germany now so that may disqualify him although his last resident in the states was here.
Posted By: Reich

Re: Active duty licence - 03/10/15 06:42 PM

Since when do active duty get free hunting lic? I'm a 21 year Army vet and Texas native, I allways had to pay. He will have to have a Texas drivers licences or orders that he is stationed in Texas. They pay the same amount as all hunters. If there has been a change in the last couple of years please correct me. Now that I'm retired and fully disabled veteran I do get the free super combo.
Posted By: Powerstroke99

Re: Active duty licence - 03/10/15 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Reich
Since when do active duty get free hunting lic? I'm a 21 year Army vet and Texas native, I allways had to pay. He will have to have a Texas drivers licences or orders that he is stationed in Texas. They pay the same amount as all hunters. If there has been a change in the last couple of years please correct me. Now that I'm retired and fully disabled veteran I do get the free super combo.

I think this changed 6 years ago or so. Super Hunting Combo license is free to active duty military stationed in Texas the previous 6 months or those stationed outside the state whose home of record is Texas. Also free to Disabled vets with a service connected disability of 60% or higher.

To answer the original question, if your friend can show that his home of record is Texas he is good to go.
Posted By: Reich

Re: Active duty licence - 03/11/15 01:08 PM

That awesome they did that! Would have been a nice perk when I was in boots!
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Active duty licence - 03/12/15 03:42 PM

Texas Parks & Wildlife "Outdoor Annual Hunting & Fishing Regulations"

Pages 20, 21, & 22

(Available "free" at just about any place that sells hunting & fishing licenses)
Posted By: Flags

Re: Active duty licence - 03/13/15 02:16 PM

While I think a free license for active duty is a great thing, I'd like to see them do something for the retired military guys/gals as well. I did 25+ years in the Navy and that doesn't get any breaks on any license. Seems to me they could sahve off a little for the retired veterans.

Re: Active duty licence - 03/15/15 07:31 PM

Man we sure had a good time catching up. We thinned out a few hogs while at the ranch and yanked a few bass out of the ponds. He attempted to teach me some advanced expert level shooting skills but unfortunately there is no hope for me. Just in case any one else has friends or family coming home on leave, I found out that you are always a Texas resident while in the army until you get out no matter where you serve. I think its great what Texas does for our military with the free license and agree that it would only be better if they extended it to all veterans.
Posted By: krm944

Re: Active duty licence - 03/27/15 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisB
Man we sure had a good time catching up. We thinned out a few hogs while at the ranch and yanked a few bass out of the ponds. He attempted to teach me some advanced expert level shooting skills but unfortunately there is no hope for me. Just in case any one else has friends or family coming home on leave, I found out that you are always a Texas resident while in the army until you get out no matter where you serve. I think its great what Texas does for our military with the free license and agree that it would only be better if they extended it to all veterans.

I went on a Hog Hunt in NC. NC considers all actice duty members a "resident" regardless of duty location or official residency. Seems like my crazy idea of a trip to Texas might pan out!!
Posted By: Texas Heat

Re: Active duty licence - 03/27/15 05:47 PM

Super combo was free when I joined in 2006, so it has been a while.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum