Texas Hunting Forum

I have a question

Posted By: 300j

I have a question - 03/05/15 02:28 AM

I know that their are a lot of variables to weigh and consider, but do yall think their would be much difference in the deer between two leases that are 7 miles apart? I can understand the #s being similar but my question is quality? Im not looking for game managed and protein fed type answers. Looking for answers based on natural foliage etc.. Do take in consideration that the layouts such as elevation changes etc. are different. One of the leases is also about twice the size as the other with only one gun more and neighbor hunting pressure is similar for both.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: I have a question - 03/05/15 02:47 AM

I don't think you can compare two areas without considering management or lack thereof. The number of guns on the place, the number of deer taken, the age of the deer taken, the neighbors hunting pressure, and so on.

If you want to say "all things being equal", then the answer is still yes. Foliage, agriculture practices, livestock, and overall terrain can make a big difference. The biggest difference I have seen between two places, and they were less than 2 miles, was the river bottoms. The lowlands typically have very good soil and produce vegetation that promotes a healthier herd.

Just my 2cents
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: I have a question - 03/05/15 02:51 AM

x2
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: I have a question - 03/05/15 03:01 AM

300, all things being similar, I think there could be differences but minor. +/- 10-20lbs. on weights and +/- 10" on antler growth.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: I have a question - 03/05/15 03:02 AM

These are based on avgs. of course
Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Re: I have a question - 03/05/15 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
I don't think you can compare two areas without considering management or lack thereof. The number of guns on the place, the number of deer taken, the age of the deer taken, the neighbors hunting pressure, and so on.

If you want to say "all things being equal", then the answer is still yes. Foliage, agriculture practices, livestock, and overall terrain can make a big difference. The biggest difference I have seen between two places, and they were less than 2 miles, was the river bottoms. The lowlands typically have very good soil and produce vegetation that promotes a healthier herd.

Just my 2cents

Exactly. And don't think the numbers can't be different. I've hunted places that were far superior in numbers and quality to places that were way less than seven miles apart, maybe as little as one or two....both belonging to the same co-op and under the same management practices.
Posted By: 300j

Re: I have a question - 03/05/15 03:18 AM

Thx guys, that's the type of feedback I am looking for. Keep it coming please.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: I have a question - 03/05/15 01:01 PM

Definitely can be different. I hunt two places just like you described, about 7-8 miles apart. One is covered in deer, the other not so much. The high density area has a tad smaller deer. The lower density area has better quality.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: I have a question - 03/05/15 01:44 PM

I agree with what the others have said. It can make a difference based on many variables
Posted By: HWY72

Re: I have a question - 03/05/15 06:39 PM

7 miles can make a huge difference or no difference, depending on the size, location & habitat. Too many variables...
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: I have a question - 03/05/15 06:46 PM

It's unanswerable. Too many variables.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: I have a question - 03/05/15 09:16 PM

I've seen situations vary from year to year. One year a great herd the next hardly see a deer. My place is feast or famine. Got lots of deer one year and few the next. Same thing happens on the other place 7 or miles down the road. This year I saw few on my place but lots on the other. Last year we hardly saw deer at the other place and lots on mine. Can never tell what the next year will be like.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: I have a question - 03/05/15 11:26 PM

A lot will also depend on livestock on the places. We had a lease that was terribly over grazed and had very few deer while the places to our east, south and west had a good healthy deer population. So as little as the width of a county road can make a huge difference.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: I have a question - 03/06/15 12:40 AM

On 1,000acres, being devided into 2 seperate or 1 big lease. Their will be differance between #'s & size of deer. flag
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I have a question - 03/06/15 03:43 PM

Without seeing both properties and knowing all the other particulars it is impossible to say which is better. I have larger places that were not near as good as a smaller place due to the hunting and grazing pressures on/around it.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: I have a question - 03/06/15 04:00 PM

Pressure. That' all.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: I have a question - 03/06/15 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: tShawnB
Pressure. That' all.

and cows. if one doesnt have cows, pick it.
Posted By: PMK

Re: I have a question - 03/06/15 06:54 PM

but pick cows over goats/sheep cheers
Posted By: Navasot

Re: I have a question - 03/06/15 06:57 PM

topography can make a huge change within 7 miles...
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I have a question - 03/06/15 07:10 PM

Habitat can make a huge change within 7 miles...
Posted By: Geronimo509

Re: I have a question - 03/09/15 06:59 PM

I agree with everyone else here. There can definitely be a difference.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: I have a question - 03/10/15 04:02 AM

I've tried to wrap my brain about this for a few years now. Our homeplace is perfect habitat, with plenty of room for a deer to grow up and die of old age. With most of our neighbors on board we have a small co-op of probably around 15,000 acres. Most folks that I've talked with say that haven't shot doe. Our buck to doe ratio is close 2 bucks per doe. The problem is that deer sightings can be scarce, especially after the rut. The other place 7-8 miles away has MANY doe, and not as many bucks. It's a small place and pressure is more intense though. A mature doe will dress 90# Pretty big in my book. A lot bigger than many I've killed in the hill country.

I've never killed a doe at our homeplace. I know that many have died of old age. That's the way it will stay, for now. I would love to have to take doe but until we see the population dynamics change, we'll just stay the course.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: I have a question - 03/10/15 11:41 PM

Id save up some money and hunt both places. In my experience with hunting just one spot, it gets old and boring. Maybe Im spoiled. That way you can hunt different deer and make your own judgement. If you like to hunt never limit yourself to just one or two spots. Get as many you have time to hunt or can afford. Remember the cheapest are the free ones. And don't limit yourself to just one region. Theres bigger deer down the road or in another state.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum