Texas Hunting Forum

How to fix the hole under the feeder

Posted By: the rattler

How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 07:40 PM

What is a good method to prevent or fuill in the hole under a feeder that hogs have dug. I have placed hog panels underneath and staked them down but still have a fairloy deep hole. What is the best fill?
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 07:54 PM

Move it
Posted By: pkfergy

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 07:55 PM

Only way I have found - Move the feeder a few feet... No hole
Posted By: J.G.

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 07:55 PM

Bouncing Betties.
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Bouncing Betties.

rofl That would be awesome!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 07:58 PM

Ok.... first your gona need a dead pig... three wool coats... a bag of lime... and some Funyuns
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 07:58 PM

pile o dead hogs?
Posted By: maximum

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: the rattler
What is a good method to prevent or fill in the hole under a feeder that hogs have dug. . . . .

it's best remedied with applications of high speed lead

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Ok.... first your gona need a dead pig... three wool coats... a bag of lime... and some Funyuns

roflmao rofl
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 08:14 PM

I have seen mixing a couple sacks of concrete in with the soil stop it. Moving is a good option also.
Posted By: don k

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 08:37 PM

I get the first 3 but what are the funyuns for?
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Move it

this ^^^

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I have seen mixing a couple sacks of concrete in with the soil stop it. Moving is a good option also.

Not a bad idea
Posted By: Erny

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Yep I have done this as well and it works
Posted By: Navasot

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
I get the first 3 but what are the funyuns for?

I get hungry
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: the rattler
What is a good method to prevent or fill in the hole under a feeder that hogs have dug. I have placed hog panels underneath and staked them down but still have a fairly deep hole. What is the best fill?

scratch fixed it for ya. rofl some times my mind wonders. i hit the wrong keys all the time. nidea Your idea of the hog panel would be my first choise. Concrete would worry bout deer, unless turned feeder off till crete set up. Would add some small gravel. Best wishes flag
Posted By: bp3

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 11:07 PM

Get ready mix truck ans pour 20 x 20 slab 6" thick. rifle
Posted By: Payne

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 11:11 PM

I laid down three cattle panels and made rebar stakes to hold the panels in place. Filled the hole with some dirt beforehand.

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Payne
I laid down three cattle panels and made rebar stakes to hold the panels in place.

Forgot about that...
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/03/15 11:53 PM

Sacrete will fix the problem for a long time.
Posted By: cmc

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/04/15 02:05 PM

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on this topic as I have six feeders that are all on soft ground and covered with hogs. In years passed I have moved them, poured concrete in the holes, put cattle panels, you name it and nothing has worked better than my current solution. The concrete was good for a bit but once they broke it up it made the whole bigger because when they rooted it out it took half the dirt, the panels were ok but eventually they dug under made a hole that filled with water and the deer and turkey still avoided the area. In the last two years I have done this and it's working, I made my feeders about 12' tall and taller, this helped with the coons too, and I took the cages off and put eliminator plates on the feeders. The cage just keeps the corn from spreading which means the hogs are more concentrated under the feeder where the corn is. Making your timer higher off the ground means the corn throws farther away and is not in one little area and the pigs have stopped digging they just eat the corn and leave. I also have a 12V timer that will sling corn at high velocities so the feeding area is bigger. Basically that's a long answer to spread your corn out and they won't dig as much.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/04/15 02:09 PM

Cattle panels under it.

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/04/15 02:36 PM

I have more of a problem with a Ring around my gravity feeder and my does and little ones have to stretch so I'm constantly having to rotate
Posted By: nick_adams

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/07/15 04:29 AM

I had good luck with concrete.

Turned the feeder off for a few days, evened the hole out a bit, and poured it full of sak-crete. Made a little pad maybe 2' in diameter, so not very big, but it was enough that it kept it from getting muddy and dug out.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/07/15 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: nick_adams
I had good luck with concrete.

Turned the feeder off for a few days, evened the hole out a bit, and poured it full of sak-crete. Made a little pad maybe 2' in diameter, so not very big, but it was enough that it kept it from getting muddy and dug out.
We are blessed with a lot of flat limestone, put them under the feeder then poured sacrete around and over them. It's been a few years and all is well.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/07/15 03:03 PM

Concrete works the best and lasts the longest but it is expensive.

Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/07/15 04:13 PM

Great setup there stxranchman!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/07/15 05:13 PM

cheers coolpics couple years back at bow stand seen a buck in velvet like one in 2nd pic, guessing 12+ inch spread, high tall rack&beams just before archery season. Didnt see it deer season. This season 2014-15 got pic of, thinking it was same deer. Posted it in different thread. Even at bout 70yrds away with cheap cam, ya could stil ser the high rack&beam rofl moved cam closer were the deer stepped out, got pics of several other bucks. Just didnt see any deer while on stand. back 2cents Hogs rooted at my tripod feeder & pushed it over several years ago. Took old cable, strung it tree ta tree. Can slide feeder back & forth whin hogs root around for the corn. i keep under the feeder worked up with rake. One if hogs do root, can smooth it out & main reason, cam not set up for night ta catch ninjahogs . Can tell from tracks if its deer, hogs, coon, or squirrel taking corn. Know the birds get their share. flag
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: How to fix the hole under the feeder - 03/10/15 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Payne
I laid down three cattle panels and made rebar stakes to hold the panels in place. Filled the hole with some dirt beforehand.

How did this work? I move mine.. In about 10 years Ive moved it 4 times. now have 3 holes, working on a 4th. When they fill up with water I'll dig a deeper hole about 10 ft away and dig a 'ditch' from there to the feeder to drain the water. First tried this when I was 16.. good quick fix when you're alone (if you're on soft soil like I am).
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum