Texas Hunting Forum

Food Plot Language / Unbelievable

Posted By: Dirt

Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 02/25/15 11:50 PM

For the past few years I disc and plant a couple of acres for critters.
Deer, dove, turkey. For spring and summer it's lablab, milo, and iron clay cow peas.
I go to the same place in ATX, it's a general store that's been around a long time.
Never any problems getting planting materials. This year was different.
I asked for milo seed, not just milo or milo feed. Upon my request I was asked
for my satellite pictures of my pasture and my "plan" whatever that is.
I replied I had never been asked for this before and I just wanted some milo
for a food plot. The gentleman replied "oh yes we have milo feed, it's 8 bucks
for a 50lb sack, is that what you're looking for?" I replied, "does it sprout
and produce heads full of seed?" He replied "of course it does".
We settled on the feed and then he educated me. If you ask for seed, I have
to ask for your satellite photos and your plan, and that milo is 150 bucks
for a 50lb bag. Because it's all GMO now. But if you want milo feed, it's
8 bucks a 50lb bag, no questions asked.

Now we must use politically correct language just to grow a food plot.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 02/26/15 12:44 AM

It's a whole lot deeper and nefarious than political correctness..........

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 02/26/15 01:10 AM

Yes it is. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 02/26/15 01:16 AM

You can thank Monsanto for that. Plant a field of milo, corn, and it gets cross-pollinated with Monsanto 'roundup ready' from a neighbor or some other source, you better get a lawyer. Men in black suits will come to your farm and tell you they need to get DNA samples of your crops. It has happened to quite a few farmers and put them out of business...Coming to a field near you!

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 02/26/15 03:57 PM

I reckon I should start adding another 1/2 acre to the plot and recoupe some "feed"
for next years planting. But how to protect against weavils etc? Last year I planted
milo I had left over, a couple of bags I stored in my garage. None of it came up.
The feed store said if you don't plant it quick weavils will destroy all of it within
a few months. Some countries have banned GMO. It seems MON has a monopoly on it.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 02/28/15 08:13 PM

I'll ask. What is GMO and MON?
Posted By: AliceTx

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 02/28/15 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
g

Genetically modified organisms. Monsanto, the maker of GMOs
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/01/15 01:57 AM

L-I-B !

Good to know! I'll be on the lookout for questions like that before I put in a winter plot. Thanks for sharing. up
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/01/15 03:03 AM

Hey. Go ahead and skip the light stuff. If it does seed light and blow onto someone else's property, they might raise a fuss. If you're in east texas this aint gonna matter because we don't have any crops anyways. What I really want to tell you is to just plant all the clay deer peas you can buy and make sure the soil is right. The deer will sleep, eat, and poop in it, and then grow some huge antlers. It grows during the prime antler growth period if planted properly. I killed a buck that spent all summer in it and it had forks coming off of forks, 14" G2's, and it was only 4.5.

Interesting to learn about GMO's and MON. Didn't know about that. THF is educational today. clap
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/01/15 05:59 AM

cheers good info flag

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Dirt
I reckon I should start adding another 1/2 acre to the plot and recoupe some "feed"
for next years planting. But how to protect against weavils etc? Last year I planted
milo I had left over, a couple of bags I stored in my garage. None of it came up.
The feed store said if you don't plant it quick weavils will destroy all of it within
a few months. Some countries have banned GMO. It seems MON has a monopoly on it.
Its illegal to 'save' seed from one planting to the next using GMO from Monsanto. I'm sure you could get away with it if you don't talk about it on a public forum. It's patented and Monsanto has plenty of $ to prosecute. They've done it in the past. Now, saving bags that weren't used would be fine. Taking seed from your crop for next year-not fine, or I should say, could be BIG fine.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 03:56 PM

HOT DURN! shocked
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Its illegal to 'save' seed from one planting to the next using GMO from Monsanto. I'm sure you could get away with it if you don't talk about it on a public forum. It's patented and Monsanto has plenty of $ to prosecute. They've done it in the past. Now, saving bags that weren't used would be fine. Taking seed from your crop for next year-not fine, or I should say, could be BIG fine.

No it's illegal to harvest and sale from kepted over "patented" seed, that was around along time before GMO. The GMO stuff is mainly corn and some milo.
No GMO wheat is FDA approved. Most patented seed gets watered down after each planting, thus bushell production will go down with each replanting.

Regardless milo is very low on the perfered preference for deer.
I'd stick to legumes or forge version of oats.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru

GMO is a modified seed that either produces a compound that's toxic to insects but not people or the plants cells are resistant to a certain weed killer(mainly round up)
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 05:16 PM

I hate Monsanto, they are ruining our food source and killing off bees. So many farms have been shut down because GMO crops accidentally end up in their fields by spreading from other farms. Monsanto sues them and takes everything, bunch of scum bags.

The fact that they have patients on plants is absolutely ridiculous.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas
I hate Monsanto, they are ruining our food source and killing off bees. So many farms have been shut down because GMO crops accidentally end up in their fields by spreading from other farms. Monsanto sues them and takes everything, bunch of scum bags.

Got links on those the suits? How does a crop accidently end up in a feild?

Most the guys I know have no issues with Monsanto, even the higher seed costs the increased yeild and lower operation costs make up for it.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Most the guys I know have no issues with Monsanto, even the higher seed costs the increased yeild and lower operation costs make up for it.

The crops end up in different farm fields from the seeds spreading, either by wind, animals, or any other way. Monsanto has sued 410 farmers either for having second generation seed (common farming practice) or illegal/unintentional use of Monsanto's seeds. Happened to my Uncles farm back in Maryland, they tried to take the whole farm over alfalfa grass.

I am as republican as it gets, but this Monsanto corporation can get the hell out as far as I'm concerned.

Link Here

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 08:17 PM

The crops end up in different farm fields from the seeds spreading, either by wind, animals, or any other way. Monsanto has sued 410 farmers either for having second generation seed (common farming practice) or illegal/unintentional use of Monsanto's seeds. Happened to my Uncles farm back in Maryland, they tried to take the whole farm over alfalfa grass.

I am as republican as it gets, but this Monsanto corporation can get the hell out as far as I'm concerned.

Link Here

That article talkes about hold over seed, that was then replanted. Everyone of those farmers know that is illegal per the supreme court ruling and the agreement they did when the bought the initial seed. There are lots of seed companies out there. Play with fire you get burned. Also that article is highly pointed.... Think about wind blown seed for a minute....the traceable gene is in the plant, that would take a lot of seed/plants to make the parts per million traceable

But now I'm really interested in the Alfafla suit. Was he selling seed or hay?
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 08:39 PM

Ah yes. The unfounded rumors of the evil corporation.

It's not just Monsanto btw. Lets go ahead and get rid of GMOs and those evil companies.

First go find several hundred million or more people who want to die so we can feed and clothe everyone else.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 09:20 PM

Link Here

That article talkes about hold over seed, that was then replanted. Everyone of those farmers know that is illegal per the supreme court ruling and the agreement they did when the bought the initial seed. There are lots of seed companies out there. Play with fire you get burned. Also that article is highly pointed.... Think about wind blown seed for a minute....the traceable gene is in the plant, that would take a lot of seed/plants to make the parts per million traceable

But now I'm really interested in the Alfafla suit. Was he selling seed or hay?

Yes he was selling the hay. My Uncle, before he passed, owned and operated an all organic, grass fed cattle farm. 500 acre piece of land, raised cattle and grew alfalfa. Whatever left over alfalfa grass he had he would sell off. A neighboring farm who also grew alfalfa had a GMO type grass. One way or another the plants cross pollinated and Monsanto sued. They even had representative sneak onto his land saying they were looking for a rare species of bird. He found them taking pictures and stealing alfalfa. Within that month he was served papers claiming he infringed on the Monsanto's patient. He had to settle out of court and put up nets around his alfalfa crops to try and stop it from happening again.

Not all of the cases of Monsanto's suing are about seed holdover. There have been over 140 cases of cases involving cross pollination.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 11:12 PM

GTT, that's exactly what I was talking about. They're starting to see new strains of weeds that are immune to 'roundup'. Weeds are evolving and building up resistance. But yes, BOBO, it's true that farmers have been sued over cross-pollination even though they used NO Monsanto seed. Easy to check out on the internet.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 11:17 PM

interesting. I've never seen alafafa(grown for hay) go to seed... Once it does it stunts. Once it stunts no more cutting it that year.

If that's the case techically he could of sued them.

I have few acres of alfalfa

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 11:31 PM

GTT, that's exactly what I was talking about. They're starting to see new strains of weeds that are immune to 'roundup'. Weeds are evolving and building up resistance. But yes, BOBO, it's true that farmers have been sued over cross-pollination even though they used NO Monsanto seed. Easy to check out on the internet.

Then those farmers could sue them for destroying thier non-GMO crop. Infact many are begging for it to happen. Monsanto doesn't go after cross pollination for that reason, everyone of thier lawsuits are based off breech of contract. The contract you sign when you buy thier seed.

Out side of alfalfa(a perennial) its easily proven. If I have a second generation GMO seed which it would be via cross pollination , then the stalk it's self would be GMO gene free.

Internet is full of a lot of news stories that seldom revel the truth...

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 11:39 PM

Find ONE other company that regularly sues it's customer base. Weird Shiite. Monsanto has produced more toxic chemicals than any other company, including PCBs and 'Agent orange' to name two. It has an extremely bad track record for environmental contamination as well. There's a reason for stereotypes and they are the stereotypical corporation that puts profits above human health concerns...That's why people, especially farmers, their client base, loathe them.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 11:47 PM

Find ONE other company that regularly sues it's customer base. Weird Shiite. Monsanto has produced more toxic chemicals than any other company, including PCBs and 'Agent orange' to name two. It has an extremely bad track record for environmental contamination as well. There's a reason for stereotypes and they are the stereotypical corporation that puts profits above human health concerns...That's why people, especially farmers, their client base, loathe them.

Lol..

I'd sue the hell out of you to if you breeched a contract that you signed.

Not all farmers hate them. Now you organic growers that are trying to chase a high end market do... But no most farmers don't hate them.

Again the cross pollination thing is a joke on non perennial crops.

Avg of 13 breech of contract suits a year vs 2 million farmers isn't even a percentage point.

On top of that Monsanto doesnt own the seed market... They own may be a third with there next biggest competitors as big or bigger then them.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 11:53 PM

I read many of the stories from farmers, and other folks who gave their own personal accounts of how Monsanto treated them and or sued them. Not the Monsanto press release from their lawyers. Many stories can be confirmed and not just the ones that fit Monsantos storyline.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/02/15 11:59 PM

They'll own the worlds food supply too one day. In thirty years we'll be eating Monsanto GMO 'Soylent green'... That's a scary thought.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 12:08 AM

I read many of the stories from farmers, and other folks who gave their own personal accounts of how Monsanto treated them and or sued them. Not the Monsanto press release from their lawyers. Many stories can be confirmed and not just the ones that fit Monsantos storyline.

Like I said don't sign the contract.....

Pretty simple stuff.

But please enlighten me on the suits.... Don't talk BS either about non perennial crop cross pollination

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 12:18 AM

They'll own the worlds food supply too one day. In thirty years we'll be eating Monsanto GMO 'Soylent green'... That's a scary thought.

What??? They have less then 20% of the world seed market.

Man reality is slipping away from you

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 12:23 AM

I read on the internet.....

What a load of crap.

Spend some time around farming before you tell people about what you read on the internet.

Monsanto is one of many seed and chemical companies and it's an absolute blatant lie to say most farmers hate them

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 12:41 AM

Why would you go through the expense of combining a 1/2 acre? You will be way in the red.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 04:23 AM

What??? They have 1% of the world seed market.

Man reality is slipping away from you

80% of corn grown in the US is from Monsanto GE seed and 93% of the soy is also Monsanto. Look at the label of something you eat and I gaurentee it has either corn or soy in it. Also, beef, chicken, pork all have GMO corn in it because they eat GMO feed. The only reason it has slowed internationally is because in other countries studies have been done and showed the health risks of eating GMO foods. Just about every other 1st world country labels food in stores if their GMO, we do not.

Link Here

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 04:26 AM

Then those farmers could sue them for destroying thier non-GMO crop. Infact many are begging for it to happen. Monsanto doesn't go after cross pollination for that reason, everyone of thier lawsuits are based off breech of contract. The contract you sign when you buy thier seed.

Out side of alfalfa(a perennial) its easily proven. If I have a second generation GMO seed which it would be via cross pollination , then the stalk it's self would be GMO gene free.

Farmers are trying to sue them, takes a lot of time and money.

Link Here

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 04:54 AM

Those are your sources? Why those aren't biased at all rofl

80% of the corn market isn't going to be monsanto. There's more than Dekalb out there you realize?

Once again though, go ahead and get rid of those companies. After all look how much proof there is they are harmful. Oh wait there isn't any other than propaganda from organic and natural websites. Sorry to tell you but without those companies we'd be screwed. You realize predictions show we need to double food production by 2050 to keep up with population growth? Do you realize how many people would die if we switched to all organic production.

Norman Borlaug himself said it was impossible.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 05:45 AM

Originally Posted By: z71dustin

80% of the corn market isn't going to be monsanto. There's more than Dekalb out there you realize?

Once again though, go ahead and get rid of those companies. After all look how much proof there is they are harmful. Oh wait there isn't any other than propaganda from organic and natural websites. Sorry to tell you but without those companies we'd be screwed. You realize predictions show we need to double food production by 2050 to keep up with population growth? Do you realize how many people would die if we switched to all organic production.

Are you claiming a majority of food produced is GMO but your laughing saying that 80% of corn is GMO? I don't get it, 90 percent of corn in the country is grown for corn syrup use, look it up. Can you imagine if that changed to 90 percent was organic corn grown for human consumption??? The problem is not growing food, the problem is getting it to the people who are starving across the world. Can you provide any sources to what you are stating? There are several studies that show GMO foods are bad for human health, can you imagine if we double the food supply with known toxic food for the growing population?

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 06:06 AM

Are you claiming a majority of food produced is GMO but your laughing saying that 80% of corn is GMO? I don't get it, 90 percent of corn in the country is grown for corn syrup use, look it up. Can you imagine if that changed to 90 percent was organic corn grown for human consumption??? The problem is not growing food, the problem is getting it to the people who are starving across the world. Can you provide any sources to what you are stating? There are several studies that show GMO foods are bad for human health, can you imagine if we double the food supply with known toxic food for the growing population?

No, I'm saying there other companies than Monsanto. Yall seem to think Monsanto is the only company that sells seed. I'm not saying there isn't a majority of GM corn grown, just that it's not all from one company. grin

it is absolutely and utterly impossible to produce the amount of food we do today by organic production.

You're the one that needs to produce studies showing they are toxic. Because there is none.

I'll wait while you go find all these peer reviewed studies that shows GM crops are toxic to humans. Peer reviewed too, not an opinion piece from organicnaturalgreenliving. Com or the rat study that was withdrawn for being a load of crap.

BTW, I make a living working in agricultural research so please teach me something I can share with the scientists at the research station tomorrow.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 06:57 AM

No, I'm saying there other companies than Monsanto. Yall seem to think Monsanto is the only company that sells seed. I'm not saying there isn't a majority of GM corn grown, just that it's not all from one company. grin

it is absolutely and utterly impossible to produce the amount of food we do today by organic production.

You're the one that needs to produce studies showing they are toxic. Because there is none.

I'll wait while you go find all these peer reviewed studies that shows GM crops are toxic to humans. Peer reviewed too, not an opinion piece from organicnaturalgreenliving. Com or the rat study that was withdrawn for being a load of crap.

BTW, I make a living working in agricultural research so please teach me something I can share with the scientists at the research station tomorrow.

There are several studies, and I mean several, peer reviewed articles on this topic. I understand your credentials are higher than mine, but 3 years ago I wrote a paper on this in college. I thought it was a bunch of crap but I was shocked how much supporting evidence was out there. The main problem is these GMO food were not tested before being released for consumption which sounds crazy. Now more and more studies are surfucing which is why most all countries are forcing GMO foods to be labeled in stores or even outlawing them all together. Also, if you think that it is impossible to produce the amount of food needed for todays population that is just incorrect. As I said before, all we have to do is stop producing inedible corn used for corn syrup and that opens up a huge access point. Can you imagine how many others there are like that?

I have attached the link to a text book on the subject, specifically chapter 16 explains the Human Health effects, obviously this is per reviewed and it provides several other sources you can look into as well.

And yes, I understand there are other companies other than Monsanto, but they constitute almost 50% of the GMO food industry. My argument is with GMO food all together, my gripe with Monsanto is what happened to my uncle and hundreds of other farmers.

Book link

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 01:31 PM

Did you read your link? It supports my viewpoint.

It discussed non peer reviewed and peer reviewed articles. It itself from what I can gather is not. Funny how every peer reviewed article it talks about, the authors try to discredit the actual peer reviewed article that said there was no issues with GM foods. Basically he tried to make an excuse for every legitimate study he put in the chapter.

at the end however they flat out admitted there were only opinions on the health risks.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 01:37 PM

Link Here

I'm very aware of that suit, I'm also very aware of the out come. There is a reason I mentioned organic farmers earlier.

If you knew anything about the suit it would show you that the reason they lost is because Monsanto has never sued anyone for cross pollination. That and the science behind cross pollination shows the likely hood of less then 2% on the extreme end, most is less the a percentage point. The day Monsanto sues for cross pollination is the day they open themselves up for any little bit of cross pollination out there.

Again 2% of seed coming from a section of corn is very minimal. Every suit Monsanto has went after was breach of contract for hold over.

We farm a pretty big chunck of ground. I've used a plethora of seed companies. Some are 100% competors to Monsanto some have licensing agreements with Monsanto. If I toss in the other acreage some of my crop sharers farm acreage wise it becomes very substantial. None of us hate or have issue with Monsanto. We also use to own a grain elevator. It's a pretty simple concept. When you sign a contract not to reuse harvested seed, dont do it.

The science behind the harmfulness of GMO is fiction. You would of died a long time ago.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 04:08 PM

It discussed non peer reviewed and peer reviewed articles. It itself from what I can gather is not. Funny how every peer reviewed article it talks about, the authors try to discredit the actual peer reviewed article that said there was no issues with GM foods. Basically he tried to make an excuse for every legitimate study he put in the chapter.

at the end however they flat out admitted there were only opinions on the health risks.

Uhhh... Did you read the conclusion in chapter 16?

"From the results, the conclusion seems inescapable that the present crude method of genetic modification has not delivered GM crops that are predictably safe and wholesome."

Ultimately, there have not been enough studies done, if you would like to be a guinea pig, by all means go for it.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 04:24 PM

Link Here

I'm very aware of that suit, I'm also very aware of the out come. There is a reason I mentioned organic farmers earlier.

If you knew anything about the suit it would show you that the reason they lost is because Monsanto has never sued anyone for cross pollination. That and the science behind cross pollination shows the likely hood of less then 2% on the extreme end, most is less the a percentage point. The day Monsanto sues for cross pollination is the day they open themselves up for any little bit of cross pollination out there.

Again 2% of seed coming from a section of corn is very minimal. Every suit Monsanto has went after was breach of contract for hold over.

We farm a pretty big chunck of ground. I've used a plethora of seed companies. Some are 100% competors to Monsanto some have licensing agreements with Monsanto. If I toss in the other acreage some of my crop sharers farm acreage wise it becomes very substantial. None of us hate or have issue with Monsanto. We also use to own a grain elevator. It's a pretty simple concept. When you sign a contract not to reuse harvested seed, dont do it.

The science behind the harmfulness of GMO is fiction. You would of died a long time ago.

Yes, every law suit has been breech of contract. This can happen through several ways such as pollination. Look at the farmer in Canada, his neighbor was growing GMO canola, it pollinated with his and Monsanto sued him for patient infringement stating he did not have a license to grow the GMO plant. The court concluded:

"It does not matter how a farmer, a forester, or a gardener’s seed or plants become contaminated with GMOs; whether through cross pollination, pollen blowing in the wind, by bees, direct seed movement or seed transportation, the growers no longer own their seeds or plants under patent law, they becomes Monsanto’s property."

Monsanto has sued several farmers over cross pollination, however they just call it patient infringement.

Candian lawsuit

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 04:24 PM

"From the results, the conclusion seems inescapable that the present crude method of genetic modification has not delivered GM crops that are predictably safe and wholesome."

Ultimately, there have not been enough studies done, if you would like to be a guinea pig, by all means go for it.

Yes, I read the whole chapter.

the author says there are opinions but little data to back up saying GM crops are bad and then says that? There's another one of his opinions lol. Crude method is a load of BS, it's been going on for years and works pretty good.

That book is a joke. I said to find a peer reviewed study which it is not. Every single legitimate study it talked about said that GM crops are fine lol. The only thing he could hold to were non peer reviewed studies. When someone talks about a topic and criticizes every legitimate study and then praises the unproven ones, it's clear to see they have an agenda.

You honestly can't tell me you think GM crops are toxic? If so not only would we all be dead, there would have been studies that shown that long ago and they would not be in production any more.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 04:26 PM

How do you feel about cross breeding? Should we go back to non hybrid corn? Wild type cotton?

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 05:12 PM

Familiar with the case. He wasn't just a farmer, he was a seed seller/breeder also. Why I said earlier they go after the harvest and replant.

He could of sold the seed for oil, but he choose to keep it and replant it. He purposely keep his highest concentrations of cross pollinated patented seed. He then knowingly planted patented seed. End of story.

he wasn't sued for procession or cross pollination.. He was sued for knowningly planting patented seed and selling it. You don't get that high of concentrations from cross pollination alone, when all said and after two years of selected harvest of the patented plants he had planted 1000 acres in 98% patented seed he had keep over.

Please read about the suits before you post them. It's not helping your case.

If I did same thing with DuPont seed they would sue me as would any other company.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 08:25 PM

Familiar with the case. He wasn't just a farmer, he was a seed seller/breeder also. Why I said earlier they go after the harvest and replant.

He could of sold the seed for oil, but he choose to keep it and replant it. He purposely keep his highest concentrations of cross pollinated patented seed. He then knowingly planted patented seed. End of story.

he wasn't sued for procession or cross pollination.. He was sued for knowningly planting patented seed and selling it. You don't get that high of concentrations from cross pollination alone, when all said and after two years of selected harvest of the patented plants he had planted 1000 acres in 98% patented seed he had keep over.

If I did same thing with DuPont seed they would sue me as would any other company.

I believe your missing the point, your saying the farmers should sue for GMOs destroying their crops, they have tried. You have stated cross pollination has not happened with GMOs, it did. Any plant that cross pollinates with a Monsanto plant is now property of Monsanto regardless of how it happened. This is what the court ruled, therefore, any farmer who is unknowingly growing Roundup Ready plants is now in big, big trouble (which is what happened to my uncle).

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 08:30 PM

the author says there are opinions but little data to back up saying GM crops are bad and then says that? There's another one of his opinions lol. Crude method is a load of BS, it's been going on for years and works pretty good.

That book is a joke. I said to find a peer reviewed study which it is not. Every single legitimate study it talked about said that GM crops are fine lol. The only thing he could hold to were non peer reviewed studies. When someone talks about a topic and criticizes every legitimate study and then praises the unproven ones, it's clear to see they have an agenda.

You honestly can't tell me you think GM crops are toxic? If so not only would we all be dead, there would have been studies that shown that long ago and they would not be in production any more.

Look at the sources provided in the book, the peer reviewed sources are pretty clear.

Why do you think "toxic" means you will die over night? Do you think cigarettes are toxic? Is lead based paint toxic? Is chewing tobacco toxic? All these things cause illnesses that will kill you over time. All I am saying is I would rather eat known healthier better tasting food rather than be a risk of ingesting carcinogens. Again, there are not many studies because these foods were released without testing which is crazy. Other countries have done tests and found them to be hazardous to health which is why the foods are labeled in stores and some countries outlaw GMOs all together.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 09:10 PM

I believe your missing the point, your saying the farmers should sue for GMOs destroying their crops, they have tried. You have stated cross pollination has not happened with GMOs, it did. Any plant that cross pollinates with a Monsanto plant is now property of Monsanto regardless of how it happened. This is what the court ruled, therefore, any farmer who is unknowingly growing Roundup Ready plants is now in big, big trouble (which is what happened to my uncle).

Wrong.
First I'd didn't say cross pollination doesn't happen it does but not to a level that is significant again 2-3% on the extreme end. As far as suit you have to show damage. The organic case set precedent that you have to show loss. They could not show loss via the cross polilnation (pecentage wise and/or monetary loss, etc) or via Monsanto itself because they have never sued anyone for having or selling cross pollinated seed that wasn't intentionally planted.. They have only sued those that harvested seed, kept and replanted.

In the Canadian case canola harvest bushel rates are avg 1748lbs per acre. Planting is roughly 3lbs. He know which plants where cross pollinated and only keep over that seed to replant. He only need a rate .001% of cross polunation to do that.

Again you didn't read or understand the suit nor is that what was ruled. The ruling was based on the fact he purposely, knowingly and admittedly selected what he knew to by patented seed and replanted it.

His crop was found to be 98% pure patented seed, they ruled that he did infact infringe on the patent. Since he purposely sought after and keep the patent seed and thus why his crop was 98% patented plants.

Again he had a 1000 acres of it. All he needed to do(which he did) was keep 3000 pounds out of a field that produces 1,748,000lbs that's a .001 cross pollination rate. Not hard to do if you know what your looking for basically 2 acres. If he would of just sold the hybridized seed he would of been fine, but no he purposely planted it.
Infact he mostly would of been compensated by Monsanto if we would of brought it to thier attention.
I

Your agruing with the wrong guy I've paid seed bills for up to 250,000lbs of seed(corn, milo, wheat, Alfafla) in one year. I have first hand experience with all the major seed companies. Also have generations of farming experience.

Again you don't re-plant patented seed. Been that way for 20 plus years.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 10:10 PM

Look at the sources provided in the book, the peer reviewed sources are pretty clear.

Why do you think "toxic" means you will die over night? Do you think cigarettes are toxic? Is lead based paint toxic? Is chewing tobacco toxic? All these things cause illnesses that will kill you over time. All I am saying is I would rather eat known healthier better tasting food rather than be a risk of ingesting carcinogens. Again, there are not many studies because these foods were released without testing which is crazy. Other countries have done tests and found them to be hazardous to health which is why the foods are labeled in stores and some countries outlaw GMOs all together.

GM crops have been around for years, we would have seen the signs or symptoms of toxicity by now.

There were tests done. I can promise you those companies did their research before releasing the products. There's no way they would release something they knew was toxic, it would eventually come back and crush the company.

And you're right the peer reviewed sources are clear. They all state they are FINE!

Do you realize how long it takes a new GM product to be released? Monsanto new xtendflex system is set to be released this year. It's been in the works since the 90s. That's years of research in the field and lab and and ton of regulatory hurdles to clear

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 10:29 PM

Wrong.
First I'd didn't say cross pollination doesn't happen it does but not to a level that is significant again 2-3% on the extreme end. As far as suit you have to show damage. The organic case set precedent that you have to show loss. They could not show loss via the cross polilnation (pecentage wise and/or monetary loss, etc) or via Monsanto itself because they have never sued anyone for having or selling cross pollinated seed that wasn't intentionally planted.. They have only sued those that harvested seed, kept and replanted.

In the Canadian case canola harvest bushel rates are avg 1748lbs per acre. Planting is roughly 3lbs. He know which plants where cross pollinated and only keep over that seed to replant. He only need a rate .001% of cross polunation to do that.

Again you didn't read or understand the suit nor is that what was ruled. The ruling was based on the fact he purposely, knowingly and admittedly selected what he knew to by patented seed and replanted it.

His crop was found to be 98% pure patented seed, they ruled that he did infact infringe on the patent. Since he purposely sought after and keep the patent seed and thus why his crop was 98% patented plants.

Again he had a 1000 acres of it. All he needed to do(which he did) was keep 3000 pounds out of a field that produces 1,748,000lbs that's a .001 cross pollination rate. Not hard to do if you know what your looking for basically 2 acres. If he would of just sold the hybridized seed he would of been fine, but no he purposely planted it.
Infact he mostly would of been compensated by Monsanto if we would of brought it to thier attention.
I

Your agruing with the wrong guy I've paid seed bills for up to 250,000lbs of seed(corn, milo, wheat, Alfafla) in one year. I have first hand experience with all the major seed companies. Also have generations of farming experience.

I'm not arguing or picking a fight. All I am saying is what I have experienced. Like I said before, your credentials are much higher than mine. All I am saying is there are law suits that derive from GMOs plants pollinating with organic plants. Regardless of the legal action pursued, this has happened and will continue to happen as more people use GMO seeds.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/03/15 11:36 PM

I'm not trying to agrue either just trying to clear up a bunch of misconceptions.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/04/15 07:02 PM

Wowza. I didn't intend to kick a fire ant bed with this post.
It is good to see feed back from folks whom are farmers.

Cheers

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 01:13 PM

The biggest problem with GMO is the lack of genetic diversity, basically planting mono-cultures. The earth has had GD for eons. In one lifetime we are destroying genetic variability. Weeds and insects are becoming resistant which requires more pesticide/herbicide and could lead to soil contamination requiring more fertilizer and the possibility of one pathogen wiping out complete monocultures.

Not to mention, roundup is a known carcinogen and destroys good bacteria in the gut. Bacteria that is needed to maintain good health.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 01:46 PM

Wowza. I didn't intend to kick a fire ant bed with this post.
It is good to see feed back from folks whom are farmers.

Cheers

rofl
It happens sometimes Amigo, just be glad you didn't have the resident "Hank Hill" know it all involved clap

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 01:49 PM

The biggest problem with GMO is the lack of genetic diversity, basically planting mono-cultures. The earth has had GD for eons. In one lifetime we are destroying genetic variability. Weeds and insects are becoming resistant which requires more pesticide/herbicide and could lead to soil contamination requiring more fertilizer and the possibility of one pathogen wiping out complete monocultures.

Not to mention, roundup is a known carcinogen and destroys good bacteria in the gut. Bacteria that is needed to maintain good health.

We should ban amoxicillin then.

There are two types of GMO BT and HT. The BT insect uses a naturally occurring bacteria found in soil. They isolated the protien in it that distrubs the worms gut. Same protien has been used in insecticide for the past 50 years.

As far as roundup. You should wash your food like normal people do. You don't spray round up at harvest time. You spray it months before the seed has even been pollinated. You use a herbizeds to eliminate competition so you have a higher bushel output do to less nurturant and water competition. Roundup actually has one of the shortest halftimes of the big herbicides. I can name host of them that will not allow for anything to grow marginal at best for well over a year. Ironically people planting HT crops have a much lower overall herbicide usage per acre. I am one of those guys.

Apparently you missed the cross-pollination discussion earlier as far as genetic viability. No one has planted harlom seeds in mass for a 80 years, nor could we feed the masses off of them.

Broccoli, Cauliflower, etc I can keep going for ever are examples of plants that are essentially MAN invented through cross pollination and selective trait breeding.

It's alright to hate something, but not to spew opinion that is completely false and misleading. It's one thing to read about something and forum an opinion. It's another thing to agrue with farmers who actual real world data and can show you historical proof on herbicide and pesticide usage.

Feeding the masses with Straight harlom seed is 100x more deadly to the earth then hybrid and GMO seed. The earth can not handle that type of water and soil usage

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 02:20 PM

Roundup is bad 2cents

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 02:35 PM

You can wash your veggies all you want, but you can't wash your drinking water. It is a fact that glyphosate has polluted wells and aquifers. The more it is used the more pollution and deaths from cancer will occur.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 02:55 PM

Care to show us these studies that say that? I can say my opinion. All day but it doesn't mean anything unless it can be backed up factually.

Out of all the herbicides I use roundup is probably the safest. You can about drink the stuff.

If you think roundup is the devil the I guess you don't know about enlist or extendflex cotton lol

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 02:58 PM

Care to show us these studies that say that? I can say my opinion. All day but it doesn't mean anything unless it can be backed up factually.

Out of all the herbicides I use roundup is probably the safest. You can about drink the stuff.

If you think roundup is the devil the I guess you don't know about enlist or extendflex cotton lol
30 grams will kill a human. It is a known endocrine disrupter. It kills living things, does it not? You guys must own stock in Monsanto.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 03:07 PM

30 grams will kill a human. It is a known endocrine disrupter. It kills living things, does it not? You guys must own stock in Monsanto.

Nope I actually mainly use DuPont seed.

If you think round up is bad... You really need to study the alternatives then...lol

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 03:08 PM

Once again, show me the studies where it was proved roundup was harming humans.

Yes it does kill plants, that does not mean it's in the same form and the same for humans or animals after harvest and processing lol.

You know what the real culprit is. Dihydrogen monoxide. All the chemicals have it in them and when you see a farmer spraying, he's putting it out every single time. That's what you should ban. It is bad on soil errosion, can cause tissue damage, and can kill you deaden than a hammer. It has killed way, way, way more people than roundup.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 03:27 PM

Google search is easy. Many peer-reviewed studies available. If I were to post them you would find a way to discredit them. Glyphosate is present in our urine. How'd it get there? 1 in 2 American males will get cancer at some point in their lives. 1 out of 3 women. Cancer rates are going up even as people become more health conscious. Cause and effect? Who knows. EPA has listed Glyphosate as a class 3 hazardous chemical. If you want to drink the stuff go ahead and do so. Have 9-1-1 on speed dial. Let us know how it works out for you.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 03:36 PM

Tell me where I have discredited a legitimate study? The link gonetotexas posted tried to do that because they all said GMOs were fine.

I'm waiting..

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 03:41 PM

Tell me where I have discredited a legitimate study? The link gonetotexas posted tried to do that because they all said GMOs were fine.

I'm waiting..

He isn't after GMO any more... He couldn't discredit them. He is after roundup now. I'm curious what his alternative would be for herbicide

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 03:45 PM

I'm waiting..

He isn't after GMO any more... He couldn't discredit them. He is after roundup now. I'm curious what his alternative would be for herbicide

Just like he skipped right by the cross pollination thing without responding.

Roundup has not been shown to cause actual harm to people as consumers. It is much safer than most herbicides.

I wonder what his take is on BT. After all I saw it an an ingredient the other day on a organic mosquito control.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 03:50 PM

I'm waiting..

Just like he skipped right by the cross pollination thing without responding.

Roundup has not been shown to cause actual harm to people as consumers. It is much safer than most herbicides.

I wonder what his take is on BT. After all I saw it an an ingredient the other day on a organic mosquito control.

He skipped that one from my earlier post today also

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 04:25 PM

Conventional breeding has done way more than GMOs to change the way plants and crops are. Way more. And yet that is something that the anti crowd totally ignores even though some of their arguments would affect that field as well.

I have seen some very strange looking cotton plants as the result of breeding work.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 10:09 PM

I'm waiting..

I'm not deflecting attention. I do believe the farmer that sued Monsanto for harassment and trespassing and charging him with patent infringement. Guess what HE WON! Proving (at least in this case) Monsanto DOES sue for cross-pollination. THEY LOST IN COURT! He won. See the documentary, 'David vs Monsanto' or another documentary, 'The world according to Monsanto'. The latter is very hard to find because, not surprisingly, Monsanto has tried to pull the film off shelves.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 10:30 PM

I'm waiting..

I'm not deflecting attention. I do believe the farmer that sued Monsanto for harassment and trespassing and charging him with patent infringement. Guess what HE WON! Proving (at least in this case) Monsanto DOES sue for cross-pollination. THEY LOST IN COURT! He won. See the documentary, 'David vs Monsanto' or another documentary, 'The world according to Monsanto'. The latter is very hard to find because, not surprisingly, Monsanto has tried to pull the film off shelves.

Sounds like another Frac Nation I'm sure find that movie very factual

We already discussed this case earlier. Please keep up

They ruled he did Infact violate the patent. Was not about cross pollination either

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 10:32 PM

I watched an hour long film like that before and wrote a paper on it at A&M. It was more comical than anything but the scary part is people actually believe what they see and then go tell everyone else about it. They don't have anything factual to back it up but most people don't care

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 10:33 PM

As I said please keep up,

Wrong.

Infact he most likely would of been compensated by Monsanto if we would of brought it to thier attention.
I

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 11:49 PM

You guys remind me of the CEO's of the tobacco industry that all said before congress,'We do not believe cigarettes are addictive". Laughable. And obviously you didn't care to even watch the trailer to 'David versus Monsanto'. Percy Schmeiser went all the way to the Canadian supreme court and beat Monsanto at their own lawsuit. I know, I know, Monsanto is only looking out for the little guy. Such an altruistic company would NEVER intentionally harm a flea...Humans, yes, fleas no. They've been sued for millions for pollution, and for false advertising about the safety of their products, stating that roundup is biodegradeable, when it is not. Anything more y'all would like to discuss? Watch the 7 minute trailer on 'David versus Monsanto' then get back with me.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/05/15 11:56 PM

You guys remind me of the CEO's of the tobacco industry that all said before congress,'We do not believe cigarettes are addictive". Laughable. And obviously you didn't care to even watch the trailer to 'David versus Monsanto'. Percy Schmeiser went all the way to the Canadian supreme court and beat Monsanto at their own lawsuit. I k

Wrong.

I

now, I know, Monsanto is only looking out for the little guy. Such an altruistic company would NEVER intentionally harm a flea...Humans, yes, fleas no. They've been sued for millions for pollution, and for false advertising about the safety of their products, stating that roundup is biodegradeable, when it is not. Anything more y'all would like to discuss? Watch the 7 second trailer on 'David versus Monsanto' then get back with me.

I watched frac nation also...such a truthful movie... It's for entertainment purposes.

He lost, not only that the case reaffirmed in Canada that you can not reuse patented seed. Not only that his character is seriously questionable. It's hard to side with man that wanted GMO crops but didn't want to pay the royalty. Kind of counters your GMO agruement.

I'm not real sure how to else to explain it. Other then I bet he doesn't do it again.

Please continue to enjoy corn and soybean products. Every time you drink a coke, eat a chip, eat beef, etc know that I'm smiling and appreciate your business

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 12:05 AM

I think what you guys are saying is that you're OK with poison in our dirt and in our drinking water? Because that's the take away, at least from my vantage point. If I'm wrong please tell me. By their very nature (weird term in this instance) herbicides ARE poison.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 12:10 AM

He won! What are you talking about. He walked out of the courtroom a winner. Monsanto sued him for $400,000 dollars, tried to take his farm, his families way of life. They lost and had to pay for cleanup, court costs, etc. Are y'all living in an alternate universe or something? Hard to believe anyone would side with Monsanto on this. I would expect a little, albeit small, compassion from a fellow farmer. SMH.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 12:19 AM

For the record, I believe chemicals as a whole are generally good. But when corporations and government collude to hide the truth from consumers about the safety of a product, that's bad. My Mother worked for 'Rohm and Haas' as a chemical salesperson for thirty years. I know the benefits usually outweigh the downsides. If you truly believe having roundup (poison) in our bodies is a good thing, well, I'm at a loss for words.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 12:23 AM

For the record, I believe chemicals as a whole are generally good. But when corporations and government collude to hide the truth from consumers about the safety of a product, that's bad. My Mother worked for 'Rohm and Haas' as a chemical salesperson for thirty years. I know the benefits usually outweigh the downsides. If you truly believe having roundup (poison) in our bodies is a good thing, well, I'm at a loss for words.

How can you ever remotely express this when round up is so much safer then the alternatives, thus the popularity. But you already know that or you would of provided an alternative when I asked you earlier.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 12:28 AM

BOBO, I don't drink cokes, eat many chips and only eat grass fed beef, and very little processed foods. Most of the corn produced today is used for ethanol or high fructose corn syrup anyway, not for human consumption.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 12:33 AM

He won! What are you talking about. He walked out of the courtroom a winner. Monsanto sued him for $400,000 dollars, tried to take his farm, his families way of life. They lost and had to pay for cleanup, court costs, etc. Are y'all living in an alternate universe or something? Hard to believe anyone would side with Monsanto on this. I would expect a little, albeit small, compassion from a fellow farmer. SMH.

You obviously have some comprehensive problems. He lost his entire crop.

He purposely tried to defraud, and pass it off as his own.

I don't know what kind of morals you have but that wrong on so many levels. Do you even understand what he ACTUALLY did? He tried to basically steal a GMO patent for his own use.

Like I said earlier I actually farm, and no farmer I know would do that. You apparently aren't a farm nor do you have any morals.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 12:33 AM

How can you ever remotely express this when round up is so much safer then the alternatives, thus the popularity. But you already know that or you would of provided an alternative when I asked you earlier.
On a small scale around the house use vinegar 100 proof in a spray bottle with a teaspoon of orange oil and a dash of liquid soap as a surfactant. On a larger scale, dry molasses at a rate of 20lbs per 1000 sq ft. Both work well and don't cause problems.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 12:35 AM

BOBO, I don't drink cokes, eat many chips and only eat grass fed beef, and very little processed foods. Most of the corn produced today is used for ethanol or high fructose corn syrup anyway, not for human consumption.

Ok. Like I said we use to own a grain elevator... I actually know how buys corn. Might want to check out the ingredients on every thing you eat, I assure you it's not sweet corn.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 12:36 AM

On a small scale around the house use vinegar in a spray bottle. On a larger scale, dry molasses at a rate of 20lbs per 1000 sq ft. Both work well and don't cause problems.

Lol.... Ya that will work great on my farm. I can't handle your nutty mind set any more. Think about how much molasses you would need for the U.S. ag market... That's an ecological disaster waiting to happen.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 12:41 AM

I'm fruity huh...A nutcase maybe, fruity, uh, no.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 12:44 AM

I'm fruity huh...A nutcase maybe, fruity, uh, no.

Alright nuts it is. Best of luck to ya sir. up

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 12:46 AM

Hey, I just got a brainstorm. Plant sorghum and you could have a steady supply of molasses. Kind of a perpetual growing machine. Man and nature working as one. A symbiotic relationship. Just think, butterflies, puppies, everybody loves puppies. What say ye?

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 01:06 AM

You obviously have some comprehensive problems. He lost his entire crop.

He purposely tried to defraud, and pass it off as his own.

I don't know what kind of morals you have but that wrong on so many levels. Do you even understand what he ACTUALLY did? He tried to basically steal a GMO patent for his own use.

Like I said earlier I actually farm, and no farmer I know would do that. You apparently aren't a farm nor do you have any morals.

WOW! Immoral, I'd rather be immortal, but I'll take what I can get whip

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 04:32 AM

It got even better. Vinegar or molasses to farm with roflmao

Get ready to pay 140x more for everything you buy now. rofl

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 02:51 PM

Don't for get the increase amount of tilled ground to grow that much milo

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 03:24 PM

Don't for get the increase amount of tilled ground to grow that much milo

And we all know that farm land is becoming less and less available.

As people move and cities grow the farm land is getting lost. Couple that with an increasing population and we have issues. Issues that need and require the use of technology in agriculture to solve. Of course even something as simple as that some people don't understand.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 05:29 PM

I've finally figured it out. You guys have signed contracts with Monsanto. 'Nuff said. I don't blame you for taking sides. They're watching you. eek2

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 06:06 PM

I did work for Monsanto for about a year before I went back to Texas A&M agrilife research to help run a soil chemistry and fertility research program and get my masters. Before that I worked in a cotton cytogentics program. Pair that with a soil and environmental plant science degree and I would say I have a decent background and experience level with this subject. I've actually dealt with the products and research on them. Much better than saying what I've seen on the Internet and passing it off as fact.

There's no feasible method to feed the world without GMOs and herbicide useage? If you're against roundup then you need to be against every other herbicide.

And molasses? Go tell a farmer they Ned to put out 900 lbs of molasses an acre and see how they react lol.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/06/15 08:52 PM

I've finally figured it out. You guys have signed contracts with Monsanto. 'Nuff said. I don't blame you for taking sides. They're watching you. eek2

Nope- again keep up--------already said I buy DuPont
Posted By: TX Hitman

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/07/15 02:10 PM

I just watched a show on Netflix called Food Inc.

Talked about Monsanto seed patents etc.

It was very interesting and showed many examples of small farmers being put out of business by not following the "big" food company rules of how to raise their crop/livestock. Chicken, eggs, cows, grain etc. it also shows how large company's are changing the genetics of the animals we eat to be more profitable. Most of the changes are disgusting, especially chickens.

My wife will only eat meat that comes from the grocery store. After watching that movie, her perspective has changed and now is "trying" to eat wild game, local veggies, and beef from our friends ranches.

Shop more at farmers markets and stay away from commercialized chicken.
Posted By: Briar Rabbit

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/07/15 07:09 PM

Ya know a 2 headed chicken will eat twice as much and grow twice as fast . . . . food

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/07/15 07:23 PM

Santa Gertrudis
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/07/15 08:03 PM

Wait-molasses is a herbicide?

I'm a dead man.....
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/08/15 05:53 AM

Found this article interesting:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/science-doubters/achenbach-text

Deals with why reasonable people doubt science. One of the areas (among many) mentioned was GMOs. Doesn't go into much detail about any specific areas but looks more at how in today's world people are much more likely to doubt the scientific consensus.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/09/15 12:36 PM

Hirogen, lots of folks don't believe in science these days. Shameful.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable - 03/09/15 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TX Hitman
I just watched a show on Netflix called Food Inc.

Talked about Monsanto seed patents etc.

It was very interesting and showed many examples of small farmers being put out of business by not following the "big" food company rules of how to raise their crop/livestock. Chicken, eggs, cows, grain etc. it also shows how large company's are changing the genetics of the animals we eat to be more profitable. Most of the changes are disgusting, especially chickens.

My wife will only eat meat that comes from the grocery store. After watching that movie, her perspective has changed and now is "trying" to eat wild game, local veggies, and beef from our friends ranches.

Shop more at farmers markets and stay away from commercialized chicken.

That documentary as well as Seeds of Death and King Corn are very eye opening. I understand that there might be some propaganda sprinkled in, but one thing that has been tested over and over is the nutritional value of the GMO crops and they do not have as much nutrients as organic. I eat all organic for the health benefits and try to obtain as much organic meat as possible through hunting. Time will tell if the chemicals are truley harmful, but like I said before, I am not ok with being a guinea pig.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum