Texas Hunting Forum

Dropping power from a power pole

Posted By: Junebug

Dropping power from a power pole - 02/18/15 05:01 PM

We have a power pole next to our camp site at the lease with no meter or transformer on it. Does any one know the cost of having the electric company drop a line and meter. The camp is less than 40 yards from the road.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/18/15 05:07 PM

It should be free out to a distance from the pole.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/18/15 05:30 PM

Contact pwr company for specifics.
Often you'll have to pay for a temp Power Pole with meter box & breaker-box ($500 new, $200+/- used on craigslist) if you have no permanent building within couple hundred feet of existing pole.
They pay for everything up to the meter-box for the distances you mention (doesn't sound like any additional hi-volt poles needed).
Posted By: Ron H

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/18/15 05:42 PM

We checked this out in Palo Pinto County with United Electric. They wanted $600 for transformer installation and $500+ for meter loop then we had to run to trailers from pole. It was going to be about $10,000 where we did not have a pole for them to run new service.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/18/15 05:51 PM

Posted By: 22hemi13

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/18/15 06:22 PM

Yep call co-op. $800 for me to have a meter set at a pole that already has transformer. 200a service. It cost $1,500 to have em set a pole and run it over 75ft. Sad that they used to do it for free to get the service. Then days are gone
Posted By: Junebug

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/18/15 08:12 PM

Wow, we have to pay them to set up power, so we can pay them to use the power. I guess they gotta make their money.
Posted By: 22hemi13

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/18/15 11:31 PM

Solar looks better and better. If the initial just wasn't sooooooooooooo expensive
Posted By: ccrock

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/19/15 12:15 AM

Been there and done that. If I remember Oncor will run power 90 feet from a transformer and tie into the weather head. We were responsible for breaker, meter box, weather head , pole and wiring. I think we spent 500-700 to get it set up.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/19/15 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: ccrock
Been there and done that. If I remember Oncor will run power 90 feet from a transformer and tie into the weather head. We were responsible for breaker, meter box, weather head , pole and wiring. I think we spent 500-700 to get it set up.

Yes, a transformer is required anytime power is dropped down from a higher-voltage transmission line.

Some places sell "trailer poles" made ready to go with the weather head, meter base, and breaker box. Some may even include a outlet box.

Pick a day when the 4-6ft ground rod can be driven into the ground with greater ease.

If an existing transformer is nearby, connection charges should be much lower.
Posted By: Western

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/19/15 12:13 PM

As said, you will have to call the utility where your pole is. My Co-op (Tri-county) will run main lines for new service, supply a 200a transformer and will go 100' to your supplied pole/w drop attached. I bought a 200a meter pole pre-made from Simms on Ft Worth HWY in Weatherford for about $500, think they are $600 now.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/19/15 12:23 PM

I remember when it used to be free. But that was 25 years ago and everyone paid a tax on their electric bill to supply electricity in rural areas.
Posted By: spg

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/19/15 12:34 PM

If the pole and transformer already exists, all you have to do is install the schedule 80 conduit (3ft in ground and the sweep has to be 7in away from the pole minimum) and have your electrical panel on your camp/house wired to take power. They will install the wire and terminate it in the meter and your panel, you will have to pay a hook up fee which should be less than $200. Been there done that less than a year ago.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/19/15 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
I remember when it used to be free. But that was 25 years ago and everyone paid a tax on their electric bill to supply electricity in rural areas.

If it's to a home (permanent building) it is usually still 'free' to the meterbox;
for 'recreational' drops many utilities now charge various amounts for the drop, and especially to extend the HV poles (like $1200 - $1500 ea).
Posted By: txvarminter

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/19/15 10:13 PM

We got the land owner to sign a 3 year contract so it was only $250
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/20/15 12:09 PM

I dropped a power pole one time. All I did was cut one side of a one pair phone line that was being held down by a fallen tree. The pole dropped into the street and the transformers exploded onto the street. The power lines landed on my phone truck and a tree service truck. Hazmat crew came out and cleaned up the transformer oil. Hey that big ol pole was standin straight up, whoed da thought? I was going to cut that phone line while up on that pole, but thought naa that might shake a little when im up there. shewww! That's how I dropped a pole and power lines one time.
Posted By: nak

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/21/15 03:20 AM

I'm on a coop. There is a big difference between temporary service (construction or deer camp) and a new residential customer. It was about $800 buck, but that was extending excising HV lines about 80 yards. It would have been only $200 if the HV was already on my property.

The meter pole & breaker box cost me about $200 to build.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/21/15 05:46 AM

About a year ago, our co-op started billing deer camps and other recreational customers a flat-rate servce charge of $20/month on top of your monthly usage and fees. I can't blame them when you use less than $5 bucks on month.
Posted By: nak

Re: Dropping power from a power pole - 02/21/15 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
About a year ago, our co-op started billing deer camps and other recreational customers a flat-rate servce charge of $20/month on top of your monthly usage and fees. I can't blame them when you use less than $5 bucks on month.

It's the same where my place is. I believe my bill is $22 something a month minimum.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum