Texas Hunting Forum

Copperhead in the Austin area

Posted By: YellowDog

Copperhead in the Austin area - 02/13/15 10:54 PM

We have killed about 8 copperheads in the last two months in Giddings TX. They have just now started showing up. Been copperhead free for many years. Anyone seen an increase in copperheads???
Posted By: KG68

Re: Copperhead in the Austin area - 02/13/15 11:29 PM

Eight huh? eeks333
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Copperhead in the Austin area - 02/14/15 12:50 AM

Makes sense to me, use to lay telephone cable in Bastrop, now there is SOME copperheads there, not really to far from Giddings.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Copperhead in the Austin area - 02/14/15 01:11 AM

The cats killed a small one about a month ago. They brought it up on the porch to scare the wife and kids one morning.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Copperhead in the Austin area - 02/14/15 01:17 AM

Yes is the answer, the copperheads have always been here though. Also found a coral snake in the back yard 2 years ago.
Posted By: Deep Sea

Re: Copperhead in the Austin area - 02/14/15 02:10 PM

I live in Bastrop and we have always had tons of them here. I could see them in Giddings no problem. We see some Coral, some rattlesnake, and some Water Mocasins too, but Copperheads the most common.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Copperhead in the Austin area - 02/14/15 04:21 PM

Gotta agree. They have always been there. You are just seeing more of them for some reason.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Copperhead in the Austin area - 02/14/15 04:27 PM

Warmer temps this fall in my area than normal have things moving around a bit earlier. Rainfall or lack of it can change patterns some also.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Copperhead in the Austin area - 02/14/15 07:41 PM

some what wetter conditions in the past months, so there is more food source the last 6 months, I found cotton-tail nest all winter long, or I should say my jack russlle found them
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Copperhead in the Austin area - 02/15/15 02:55 AM

Snake population here is slowly returning. Didn't see a single snake of any kind for about 18 months after the fire in 2011. Copperheads are easily the most common venomous snake around my place.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Copperhead in the Austin area - 02/15/15 03:07 AM

Copperheads are fairly common on our land. Hard to find them until you are pretty much right on top of them.
Posted By: 257.Bob

Re: Copperhead in the Austin area - 02/15/15 06:01 PM

I killed 13 last year in my front and back yard. Nasty little boogers. My poor dog finally built up a immunity to their venom. He got to where he would swell up and swell down in about thirty minutes after being hit.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum