Texas Hunting Forum

Daughter wants a pistol.

Posted By: mudman

Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/06/15 11:20 PM

Haven't posted very much, but need help. Can someone suggest a place where I and a young lady of 30 can go in the DFW area to try shooting different pistols. She has never been interested in shooting of any kind until lately. I gave her a .22 cal Ruger automatic and she doesn't like it. Her husband is a Texas State Trooper, but she wants dear old dad to go shoot and pick out a pistol, I think that's pretty cool. My suggestion is the lady Smith .38 revolver.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/06/15 11:41 PM

I got my daughter a S&W Airweight several years ago. It's basically the same gun. Her's shot very well and I was surprised at how soft it shot,being so light. I know the bullet Trap in Plano and Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville both rent a number of handguns if you want to try some different ones out. You might call first to make sure they still do.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/06/15 11:51 PM

Bullet Trap in Plano has a good selection of pistols that can be rented and fired on their range.

http://www.bullettrapinc.com/

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 12:19 AM

Thanks guys, I think we will go there this week. I just got back from Kuwait and getting ready to crash. Bullet Trap sounds like the place.
Posted By: cva34

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: mudman
Haven't posted very much, but need help. Can someone suggest a place where I and a young lady of 30 can go in the DFW area to try shooting different pistols. She has never been interested in shooting of any kind until lately. I gave her a .22 cal Ruger automatic and she doesn't like it. Her husband is a Texas State Trooper, but she wants dear old dad to go shoot and pick out a pistol, I think that's pretty cool. My suggestion is the lady Smith .38 revolver.

Sounds like your on right track Get her really good with Ruger then Go with L smith/or and it will all fall into place..Start small and move up and don't crowd her..Make it fun Balloons /cans/etc...
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 01:31 AM

Lone Star gun gallery in Weatherford has a lot of different guns that you can rent and a nice shooting range.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 01:41 AM

I would skip the Bullet Trap and go to Frisco Gun Club. Its a very nice place with a good selection and state of the art. Same prices if not a lot cheaper on some stuff
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I would skip the Bullet Trap and go to Frisco Gun Club. Its a very nice place with a good selection and state of the art. Same prices if not a lot cheaper on some stuff

This ^^^^
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 02:00 AM

Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville is very female friendly, might take a look at them as well.
Posted By: Deep Sea

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 03:23 AM

I bought my wife a Ruger LCR and she likes it, funnily enough though when we went shooting everyone (girls and guys) liked shooting my full size SW Sigma over any other pistol I had.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 02:42 PM

I'd eventually want her proficient with his Sig and back up weapons too Dad.

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 03:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I think we will have fun checking out these places. I'm glad she wants to start shooting.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 03:45 PM

Frisco Gun Club has half price range fees for women on Wednesday nights.
Posted By: Skip

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 04:18 PM

The S&W Lady Smith is a perfect choose in my opinion. My wife has one. Easy, simple and safe to operate.
Posted By: Chris42

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 05:11 PM

What didn't she like about the Ruger?

Hard gun not to like.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 05:11 PM

There is a guy out of Sunset who offers half price CHL classes for women if she gets that far. I have his card somewhere, I will send you his info if I can find it.

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 06:35 PM

She didn't like the .22 cal. Ruger, she wants something more powerful. I am thinking she will like a .38 or 9mm, it will be fun regardless just to spend time at a range. My choice of a carry gun would be a revolver, but you never know she may like one because its pretty.

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 06:36 PM

Stoney thats great I'm sure she will eventually want to get her CHL.

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 06:47 PM

Sig226fan, thats a good idea. Going to ease her into a pistol she likes. Her husbands duty gun I beleive is a Sig 357, not real sure, I'll have to ask next time I see him. For Christmas last year I got a Rem 870 DPS shotgun that was retired. I think it was made in the 70's - slick action.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 11:30 PM

More power ! Like that !
Posted By: Leever

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/07/15 11:52 PM

.500 S&W Mag

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/08/15 05:32 PM

Leever I was thinking about the .50 cal Desert Eagle.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/08/15 05:41 PM

Bersa .380 - good, economical pistol sold at all the Academy Stores.

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/08/15 05:46 PM

I will come back with an update and picture when my daughter and I figure out what she wants. Might be a guide to someone else.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/09/15 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: mudman
She didn't like the .22 cal. Ruger, she wants something more powerful. I am thinking she will like a .38 or 9mm, it will be fun regardless just to spend time at a range. My choice of a carry gun would be a revolver, but you never know she may like one because its pretty.

If she's wanting something pretty, here's what I picked up for my wife. She hasn't shot it too terribly much, but so far it has been a great little pistol. It's a Walther PK380. The ONLY thing I have found that I do NOT like about it, is the way to clean it. It requires a special little tool to get the slide off, which when purchased new it comes with one. It's not horrible having the tool, it's just something else to keep up with but it stays in the gun cleaning kit.

Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Daughter wants a pistol. - 02/09/15 10:52 PM

Got my daughter the M&P Shield in a 9mm....she loves it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum