Texas Hunting Forum

Question on DIY blinds

Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Question on DIY blinds - 02/06/15 10:12 PM

If you have built a blind, about what was the cost, materials and labor, vs buying a prebuilt blind?
I may be getting on a lease soon and would rather have a blind than a tree stand, for many reason, blocking wind is the biggest
Just trying to get an idea of the cost to build a blind myself, or just buy one prebuilt

Thanks in advance
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/06/15 10:21 PM

I built 3 - 4'x6'x7'tall blinds for under $1100. Included-treated lumber(3/4" plywood floors with 2x4 and 2x6 bracing used on all the walls and floors), hardiboard siding, corrugated metal roof, made my own windows(acrylic panels), 2 office chairs in each, caulk, flashing window drip edges and paint(inside and out). I had enough leftover pieces of lumber and plywood to frame part of another 4'x4' box blind later. These were ground blinds that I built. I later put them up on towers. It took me less than 3 days to build and paint them all. They are well built and very heavy.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/06/15 10:23 PM

for a wooden blind, expect to pay at least $1,000 in materials (depending on what you choose to do) and then add in your labor.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/06/15 10:28 PM

I over-designed one a while back that was a 4x8x7'tall, 2 person blind. It was up on 4' long 4x4 posts and I think my build list for lumber alone was around $350. One like the one I designed up could have been built cheaper, but I tend to over-build and used a lot of bracing and supports for the floors, walls, and ceiling.

I decided to go a different route and use an extra blind my dad has, so I never built it.
Posted By: Western

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/07/15 12:28 AM

I built an 8'x8'x6.5' tall, not counting the metal stand I built, I have about $500 in it including 3 Deerview windows. Door is in the floor, so that was just some hinges. Standard 2"x4" construction, wood, felt and tin roof.
Posted By: cva34

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/07/15 01:16 AM

I built lots over years ..I know its time I start watching New home construction ,,Talk to them and get free scraps cutoffs out of there haul off pile (just don't make mess)..I seldom spend 100 bucks ..The legs and tower are something else though..The other thing I do is ...Build it on site.. with all the battery powered tools its a piece of cake...That way you can hall lumber in truck build on site don't need trailer etc.
Posted By: D Red Raider

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/07/15 03:50 AM

I built a 5' x 7' x 5'10" hexagon shaped blind on 4' legs this past October. I had salvaged a bunch of 3/8" and 5/8" exterior plywood so I didn't have to buy any sheet-goods, just lumber for framing, screws and nails, hinges etc... Plus paint. I was afraid to add it all up so In Case wife asked I could truthfully say oh, I'm not sure! I know it was over $250. A local roofer gave me a partial roll of rolled roofing
My design was pretty wasteful on plywood, but I got it free just for disassembling some storage Units at work. So, bottom line, if I had had to purchase those 9 sheets of plywood, I'd been out another $300 or so. But, dang it's nice, and it's built just like I wanted it. Honestly, I think if I'd had to buy everything, the bill would have been between $600 and $700.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/07/15 01:41 PM

I built two. They came in at just under $60,000. My materials were the scraps from a complete home redo.

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/07/15 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: swmays
I built two. They came in at just under $60,000. My materials were the scraps from a complete home redo.

Next time, I will build you 2 for just 20k! grin
Posted By: wetduck

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/07/15 01:47 PM

i built a sq tube metal frame on 4x8 6.5 ft on 34 in legs on a skid last year got about 700 in it.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/07/15 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

Next time, I'll call you. Not sure who's happier, her with the redo or me with the blinds...

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/07/15 04:16 PM

Next time, I'll call you. Not sure who's happier, her with the redo or me with the blinds...

I'll do the blinds, you do the remodel since now you have experience!

I'd bet you're happier, she will want another one in about 5 years..............
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/07/15 05:08 PM

Some of these seem a bit expensive. Without doing the figures, I would say a good wooden 4x6 blind would cost about $350 in material.

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/07/15 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Some of these seem a bit expensive. Without doing the figures, I would say a good wooden 4x6 blind would cost about $350 in material.

Maybe it has a bit to do with "measure twice, cut 3x's"?

$350 is a bunch of wood, so I bet you're right, I used some components I had, but still figured what it would have cost if I bought everything since I did at one time.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/07/15 06:51 PM

Maybe it has a bit to do with "measure twice, cut 3x's"?

$350 is a bunch of wood, so I bet you're right, I used some components I had, but still figured what it would have cost if I bought everything since I did at one time.

If you built more than one at a time, should be able to reduce the cost by utilizing the waste better.
Posted By: 22hemi13

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/07/15 07:10 PM

Yeah $350ish. Plan everything out. Measure 3x cut once. The unexpected things add up quick though. I say 350ish not caulked and painted.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/07/15 11:25 PM

Blinds4real.com
Riddle72 on here, very good prices and great blinds !
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/09/15 02:29 PM

Agree
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/09/15 03:43 PM

My blinds are built using 1x2's as the frame (you can rip 2x4's if you already have them). Corrugated tin as the skin. Deer View glass windows and door kit. This will run you about $500-600 including paint. They last forever. The oldest one I have is 11 years old and it looks like the day I put it out except the paint slightly fading. I build a 4x6 and would NEVER think of making it any smaller. These are also lightweight compared to all wood blinds that pop and curl and go to sh!t after about 5 years unless they are highly maintained with paint, caulk etc...
Posted By: passthru

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/10/15 07:54 PM

I've built a few over the years. I'm getting a Krivoman for my next one.
Posted By: turbo0001

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/12/15 01:32 AM

I have bought several of these over the years off craigslist for between $100 - $300. Screwed some metal on the roof, cut some windows, and painted. Solid and heavy.

Posted By: MMTX

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/12/15 03:25 PM

I spent about $400.00 in material. I built a six sided blind with windows around and locking door.

I collected a lot of material that was previously used, so I scrounged around, but heck, the thing is going to sit outside all year round. instead of plywood, I used coriplast sheets from political signs. the big ones and then painted it.

to cut cost, I ripped 2x6s into 2x2ishs for the studs. it turned out great.

one piece of advice I learned after building and then having to move it.

next blind I built, I want to build it so I don't mind leaving it, if the landowner wants to keep it. they are a pain to move off a lease.

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/12/15 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: turbo0001
I have bought several of these over the years off craigslist for between $100 - $300. Screwed some metal on the roof, cut some windows, and painted. Solid and heavy.

This is the exact reason I backed out of building the one I designed. My dad had an extra one of these laying around that we had already built for a deer stand, and I just used it. Works great.

We added some 4x4s for legs to get it up off the ground and braced the legs...good to go.
Posted By: Matt

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/12/15 10:15 PM

I built this one last September. I saw deer every time I hunted it. I had a spike and a doe both come less than ten feet from me in this blind at different times. I have spent hundreds on building and buying box blinds in the past, but this one beat them all.
Scaffolding (old and not that sturdy, from a pawn shop) $10
Pallets (from a warehouse, by the dumpster, ask permission first) $FREE
Black plastic net to stretch over the top to hold the brush (Home Depot) $10
Camo fabric to put on the inside, along the pallets to help cover any arrant foot movement (Academy) $12

The brush and the grass turned brown about the same time, I camo'd up my top half and sprayed some "don't stink" spray on me and I saw deer every time I hunted. It sure isn't very dry or warm, but it sure did work.

Thanks!!
Matt
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/13/15 01:53 AM

I built a 4x8 blind that is 7 feet tall. Made of 2x4's, 5/16" plywood and 3/4" plywood floor. I did my own windows with the wood on hinges going out and plexi on the inside that slides up. The outside wood keeps the weather off the plexi and it has held up for 3 years with very little wear. I actually used felt and shingles on the roof. Put drip edges above windows and used bathroom pvc trim for the corners (to keep them from weathering). Got about $250 total in it. I recently upgraded to a 3' tower for it (built with scraps).
Posted By: 68A

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/13/15 06:23 AM

Built a 4x4 for under 200. Just depends on how high speed you want it. most of my blinds didnt cost anythinginbut some sweat and the price of a hand saw. Good way to get rid of some cedar and make use out of it at the same time.don't get me wrong, there's some nice blinds out there but I cant justify spending $500 on a blind.

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/13/15 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Originally Posted By: turbo0001

This is the exact reason I backed out of building the one I designed. My dad had an extra one of these laying around that we had already built for a deer stand, and I just used it. Works great.

We added some 4x4s for legs to get it up off the ground and braced the legs...good to go.

Now this idea I like
I have seen those types of containers on craigslist pretty cheap

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/13/15 02:55 PM

It's work well so far. I guess it's 3 years old this year and hasn't shown any rotting on it yet. The only thing it really needs now are some steps.

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/13/15 03:25 PM

Steps are not that bad to build
I found some on craigslist since my post for $150, I like that kind of price smile

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/13/15 04:01 PM

$150 for steps? I was thinking more along the lines of MUCH cheaper lol.

These are about $11.50 each at home depot then another $20 or so in the step pads.

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/13/15 04:04 PM

lol, sorry, I meant $150 for the container

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/13/15 04:09 PM

roflmao I was thinking they must be gold plated.

If I remember correctly, my dad picked our 3 up for $75 each, but one of them was for parts.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/14/15 05:45 PM

I've built 5 4'x6'x7'H blinds. With my military 10& discount at Home Depot cost was $350-$400. Use Deerview flipup windows. Mounted on 8' skids so that I can move around with Polaris Ranger.

Posted By: PMK

Re: Question on DIY blinds - 02/16/15 05:36 PM

buy the shipping containers, usually $75-85 directly from local shipping companies that might have a little damage here or there where they can't use again for over the road shipping or they are overstocked. Go to Home Depot/Walmart/Lowes/etc. and find pre-mixed exterior paint that has been returned for wrong color (or whatever reason, cheap). Buy several different colors if you want to put a camo spin. Cut out windows and use cutouts, hinges and latches from project habitat store, 4-6 cinder blocks and you are good to go for under $150 for a nice 5x8x7. I also bought the white roofing paint for like the top of travel trailers/mobile homes to paint the roof with to prevent leaks.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum