Texas Hunting Forum

Book About Scoring Antlers

Posted By: dogcatcher

Book About Scoring Antlers - 01/31/15 10:44 PM

$5.95, or on Amazon for $19.95.

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/antlers-seco...ing-and-carving

Quote:
ANTLERS, SECOND EDITION REVISED: A Guide to Collecting, Scoring, Mounting, and Carving
Dennis Walrod

Equal parts natural history and instructional guide, this unique book offers a fascinating survey of all things antler, from their biology to their role in wildlife management to artists who work with the "new ivory." Illustrated, most color.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Book About Scoring Antlers - 02/01/15 02:17 AM

I believe I learned how to read a tape in the 1st or 2nd grade.....what else do you need to know to score a deer? Maybe the book is more for learning how to carve a deer antler.....I would rather carve out the back strap and have steaks!
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: Book About Scoring Antlers - 02/02/15 09:08 PM

I have a free app that calculates everything..."scoremyrack", just need to add typical or non, mainframe points, then measure away. Works like a charm, don't pay for something that's free!
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: Book About Scoring Antlers - 02/02/15 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: wisco-hunter
I have a free app that calculates everything..."scoremyrack", just need to add typical or non, mainframe points, then measure away. Works like a charm, don't pay for something that's free!

I have the same app and it works good..
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Book About Scoring Antlers - 02/02/15 10:58 PM

Does it show you were to measure from? From my experience, that is one of the biggest mistakes made.
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: Book About Scoring Antlers - 02/02/15 11:44 PM

no, that you have to know, it's just a handy tool to get a quick and fairly accurate unofficial score.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Book About Scoring Antlers - 02/02/15 11:55 PM

no, that you have to know, it's just a handy tool to get a quick and fairly accurate unofficial score.

cheers I like those programs, just wish there was something that provided better direction on where to measure from. I have seen people look at the diagram that B&C provides and still say that you measure the tines to the middle of the beam because that is where the dotted line runs too confused2
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Book About Scoring Antlers - 02/03/15 12:08 AM

I bought the book so that the next time someone asks the question I can tell the name of the book and it's author. The second reason was on another site one person said they had some good tips on antler carving in it, and since real ivory is so expensive this is a good alternative for my high end predator calls.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Book About Scoring Antlers - 02/03/15 12:21 AM

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/...+Whitetail+Deer
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum