Texas Hunting Forum

Poachers are our friends....

Posted By: JohnRussell

Poachers are our friends.... - 01/28/15 09:53 PM

Went to the ranch last weekend. Was driving to one of the stands and noticed one of my hog traps along the way.

Backed up... and lo and behold, the trap had mysteriously set itself and added corn to itself.

Thank goodness I had driven by and seen the two hogs that were in it.

Was a very nice poacher out there taking care of me.

Sorta brings a tear to yer eye don't it?

:P
Posted By: Western

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/28/15 10:43 PM

Maybe it is one of those "Acme Automatics"
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/28/15 10:43 PM

You have GOT to set up a hidden game cam on that puppy. For the entertainment of the THF. Make sure and leave a Thank You note, the way your momma raised you.
Great story.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/28/15 10:44 PM

cheers

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/28/15 11:08 PM

lol.. right? I have like 9 cameras out there. One had dead batteries, but I did not have one on that trap. I'll pick up another half dozen cameras this year and set some up along the roads etc and traps.

Then, pictures for all!

Russ
Posted By: East

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/28/15 11:13 PM

Please leave a note that says:

"Im watching you""

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/28/15 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: East
Please leave a note that says:

"Im watching you""

I'd just leave a thank you and a $10 for the corn scared
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 12:06 AM

I would be upset with the trespassers. Just my opinion
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 12:26 AM

I have found my traps empty with blood from where someone took a pig. But never has anyone reset and fed one for me.
You clearly have a complete different class of poacher.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 02:19 AM

Dig some *big* holes around the trap, cover, and wait for pics. If your cams do video - even better.

<grin>
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 02:33 AM

bang
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 06:07 AM

It's just me, I know where all the game is. Just tryin' to do you a favor Russ. You can thank me later. peep
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 11:32 AM

That sucks.
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 12:03 PM

Wow that's ballsy.

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 02:59 PM

Sucks? Psshhhhh that's generous
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 04:25 PM

If the trap is there for profit, then that sucks. If the trap is there for eradication reasons, then I think JohnRussell has a pretty good attitude about the issue.

I would not be happy with a trespasser, but if somebody is sneaking in to do your job for you and apparently doing it well and you don't mind, then kudos!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 04:29 PM

It's wrong, no matter how you slice it. I think it's great when we put one over on the poachers.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 04:32 PM

Could have been the landowner unless.....you are the landowner grin

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 04:33 PM

Sorry, got busy today.

The trap is there for us to get meat, period. We caught like 43 hogs last year out there, almost all in traps. While I like to control them, I prefer to have things to hunt year around and we try not to eradicate, but control so yea.. it was like Christmas :P

But.. on the other hand.. yea, I hate the fact someone came on and set a trap again. this is the second time I have caught one set, but I thought the gate and fence we added stopped it.

I will get a half dozen more cameras and place them around the ranch and catch those buggers. We have a phone out there and internet and will, eventually have wifi all over the place. THEN.. I will find a way to get a signal and have it email me photos.

But.. for now.. daddy got a little extra breakfast sausage.. lol

Russ

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
It's wrong, no matter how you slice it. I think it's great when we put one over on the poachers.

Agree, funny to a point, but wrong.

Get a "people trap"

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 04:36 PM

Yes, I am the land owner :P

We have seen them out there, just once.. with a 4-wheeler. I understand when someone accidentally crosses a fence... it can happen if they are lost and the acreages are small... but we have over 300 acres and CLEARLY fenced on the side they seem to be coming from.. so it has to be deliberate.

I will have to take a drive around the ranch next month and check all my fences.

Russ
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 05:06 PM

:popcorn cheers Two less hogs terring up pasture, eaten your deer corn, grillen & chillen. cant complain. would set a cam or two, its still tresspasing. last lease got on walked the perimator. No water on lease. Can backtrack trails for set-ups. found a wooden trough on a tree our side of fence. figured from last hunters. season started, hunting was slow, walked around abit, the trough had corn in it. confused2 no one had stand, mine was closest anbout 200yrds in from fence. Looked over fence tree stand. Took corn left note saying Thanks for corn. cheeked few other times, bang had ta start buying my own. flag

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell
Yes, I am the land owner :P

We have seen them out there, just once.. with a 4-wheeler. I understand when someone accidentally crosses a fence... it can happen if they are lost and the acreages are small... but we have over 300 acres and CLEARLY fenced on the side they seem to be coming from.. so it has to be deliberate.

I will have to take a drive around the ranch next month and check all my fences.

Russ

John, I think I would have to speak with the GW, someone gets hurt out there and you may find a pile of bones. They know what they are doing and don't seemed to give a .........
Posted By: Spades

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 07:50 PM

You have a much "classier" breed of trespassers and almost poachers where you are!

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 07:59 PM

I plan to speak with the GW. Right now, not enough info to waste their time. I will get a half dozen more cameras in the next couple months and THEN.. I guarantee we will catch them on camera.. heh

I'll keep you all updated. Till then, we will enjoy some nice breakfast sausage.. lol

Russ
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 08:15 PM

I would venture to guess this is someone living near your property John. They know that your not there most of the time.

I would bet that the picture ends up being someone close to the property. Have you met all of your neighbors? If they don't live there, I bet they're alot closer to the land than you and are there alot more than you and have kind of patterned you because of that. Can't wait to see them on camera.

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 08:17 PM

You should freak out and sit in the bushes for 53 hours waiting on them to come back.... then say HA GOT YOU GOOD YOU .....

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/29/15 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
You should freak out and sit in the bushes for 53 hours waiting on them to come back.... then say HA GOT YOU GOOD YOU .....

lol!

We saw them come onto the property once. We know where they are coming from, "I was just not out there at that time, I was on a different stand.

They drove in from the north, over a couple hills and a valley and a fence line, and stopped at the end of our main road....got out and looked at a protein tub a few yards away, then got back in the Ranger and drove back home. If "I" had seen that, they would not have had a wheel on that Ranger to drive back on.

This was all at like 6am during deer season year before this last one.

There is a gate and fence on the front of the property, so no way they drove in from that area.

We will catch them. Till then, we usually have someone out 2-3 times a month and they have not hurt anything yet... but we will still catch them.

Russ

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/31/15 05:17 PM

sounds like you live few miles from place. Lease was on, was over an hour drive. Opening weekend every one sits in their stand. After that we had board with stands & name tags. Whin ya get ta lease ta hunt. Go to board, take name tag put on stand. Later arrivers would know were people were hunting. was their on a Thursday night. Friday got up, name tag on board. heard shooting going ta stand. confused2 walked twards shooting. 2 guys, introduced my self as member. They said, got permission. durring deer season. Couple other times seen people in stands & they took off ta their trucks. It happens. It could be hogs terring up surounding area, yours & neighbors. They dont have a trap. A dead hog is dead hog. Not saying right. Tmes is tough. best wishes flag
Posted By: therancher

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/31/15 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

lol!

We saw them come onto the property once. We know where they are coming from, "I was just not out there at that time, I was on a different stand.

They drove in from the north, over a couple hills and a valley and a fence line, and stopped at the end of our main road....got out and looked at a protein tub a few yards away, then got back in the Ranger and drove back home. If "I" had seen that, they would not have had a wheel on that Ranger to drive back on.

This was all at like 6am during deer season year before this last one.

There is a gate and fence on the front of the property, so no way they drove in from that area.

We will catch them. Till then, we usually have someone out 2-3 times a month and they have not hurt anything yet... but we will still catch them.

Russ

So there's no gate on that end of the property? I'd put up a gate and lock it.

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/31/15 05:55 PM

The direction they are coming from, there is a fence and a locked gate.

They appear to be disregarding it.

Colt, I don't care whether they like hogs and we kill them or not. trespassing is trespassing and needs to be stopped. No-one hunts on my ranch without permission.

Russ

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/31/15 06:38 PM

Tips his cowboyhat tis your place. guess i should have called the cops on the treaspassers on our lease. scratch then did trail a wounded hog off our lease. if got caught, would have got turned in. That credit adviser, tis looking smarter & smarter. flag
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/31/15 10:26 PM

Man, that hurts
Originally Posted By: colt.45
sounds like you live few miles from place. Lease was on, was over an hour drive. Opening weekend every one sits in their stand. After that we had board with stands & name tags. Whin ya get ta lease ta hunt. Go to board, take name tag put on stand. Later arrivers would know were people were hunting. was their on a Thursday night. Friday got up, name tag on board. heard shooting going ta stand. confused2 walked twards shooting. 2 guys, introduced my self as member. They said, got permission. durring deer season. Couple other times seen people in stands & they took off ta their trucks. It happens. It could be hogs terring up surounding area, yours & neighbors. They dont have a trap. A dead hog is dead hog. Not saying right. Tmes is tough. best wishes flag

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 01/31/15 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
Man, that hurts
Originally Posted By: colt.45

confused2 flag

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 02/01/15 01:55 AM

I'll get more cameras and when we catch them, and we will, I'll post photos on here so you all can laugh at them too wink

Russ
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 02/01/15 02:14 AM

Russ

You got a good attitude about the situation. Catch them on camera and let the law do their job. Until then, just keep eating that free sausage!
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Poachers are our friends.... - 02/01/15 09:28 PM

The direction they are coming from, there is a fence and a locked gate.

They appear to be disregarding it.

Colt, I don't care whether they like hogs and we kill them or not. trespassing is trespassing and needs to be stopped. No-one hunts on my ranch without permission.

Russ

^^^^^^^^^This
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum