Texas Hunting Forum

Tag question

Posted By: allterrain

Tag question - 01/17/15 02:39 PM

One of the hunters on my place shot a nubbin buck with no antler protruding. Is an antlerless tag used or a buck tag? This occurred during the general hunting season and am just wondering. I would think an antlerless tag is ok but not sure and the hunter used a buck tag.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 03:17 PM

scratch a nubblen, while it may have de cahona's tis still antlerless. tis guessing hunter took it for a doe. dont think he would get inta trouble for using a buck tag. 2cents tis good question flag
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 03:21 PM

If no antler is protruding through the skin it's an antlerless, even if you can see and feel bumps. If anything sticks through the skin at all, it's a buck.
Posted By: Western

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
If no antler is protruding through the skin it's an antlerless, even if you can see and feel bumps. If anything sticks through the skin at all, it's a buck.

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 04:16 PM

confused2 so would a nubbin be considered protruding flag
Posted By: Dave B

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 06:08 PM

He did the right thing. Tagged as a buck.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 06:10 PM

Quote:
A "buck deer" is a deer with a hardened antler protruding through the skin. A "spike buck deer" is a buck with no antler having more than one point. All other deer are antlerless deer. A spike buck must be tagged with a buck deer tag from the hunter's hunting license or applicable permit.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/2014-2015/animals/white-tailed-deer

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Quote:
A "buck deer" is a deer with a hardened antler protruding through the skin. A "spike buck deer" is a buck with no antler having more than one point. All other deer are antlerless deer. A spike buck must be tagged with a buck deer tag from the hunter's hunting license or applicable permit.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/2014-2015/animals/white-tailed-deer

looks like he taged it wrong. flag
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave B
Nope!!! And if he had gotten checked, a ticket could have been issued for illegally tagged deer.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Originally Posted By: Dave B
Nope!!! And if he had gotten checked, a ticket could have been issued for illegally tagged deer.

For tagging a buck as a buck?

The tags are buck or antlerless. Think about that. They aren't buck and doe tags. They aren't antlered and antlerless. They're buck and antlerless.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 08:50 PM

Antlerless is exactly what it means, if it doesn't have antlers, it is an antlerless tag, no matter what kind of hardware he has. Tagging it with a buck tag is incorrect. Likewise shooting a buck with no antlers coming through the skin is legal in antlerless only season, and you would tag it as antlerless. The TPWD description is surprisingly clear on this issue.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 08:53 PM

A deer such as he described is an antlerless buck. Perhaps use of either tag would be okay. confused

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
A deer such as he described is an antlerless buck. Perhaps use of either tag would be okay. confused
The only acceptable tags would be antlerless or buck/antlerless tag. A buck tag alone would be incorrect. Not sure what is unclear about that.

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 09:00 PM

What's unclear is that the deer is a buck. Are you a TPWD game-warden?

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 09:03 PM

Nope but I shot a nubbing buck two years ago and consulted one on how to tag it. Although again it states very clearly that a deer with no protruding antlers should be tagged as antlerless, regardless of the sex: don't take my word for it though, call your GW if you think I'm wrong.

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 09:09 PM

Lets flip this around another way, how would you tag a doe with antlers? It isn't a buck so you couldn't possibly you a buck tag on it right?

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
What's unclear is that the deer is a buck.
You should really read the book. Start with page 64. It states a "buck deer" is a deer with a hardened antler protruding through the skin. A "spike buck deer" is a BUCK with no antler having no more than one point. ALL OTHER DEER ARE ANTLERLESS DEER.
All I am saying, a picky GW could make it hard on ya for not tagging it right. I hear stories like this all the time.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 09:31 PM

He taggd it wrong..He should have use the antlerless tag..IF he used the tag for either buck/antlerless, then he would have had to make sure the log in the back is filled out correctly and the box antlerless checked that matches the tag..

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 09:32 PM

Well, if a GW and the book say that, then I'm good.
Posted By: Birdog62

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 10:17 PM

I didn't think we had buck tags. I thought they said buck or antlerless and antlerless only. So it didn't matter which tag he used he just needs to log it correctly, antlerless. I take it he used his buck or antlerless tag which is fine, as long as he logged it as an antlerless, but a waste of an opportunity at taking a buck later.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Tag question - 01/17/15 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Tag question - 01/18/15 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Lets flip this around another way, how would you tag a doe with antlers? It isn't a buck so you couldn't possibly you a buck tag on it right?

It's a buck. The definition of "buck deer" never mentions what sex the deer is. Only whether or not it has antlers.

Re: Tag question - 01/18/15 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter

It's a buck. The definition of "buck deer" never mentions what sex the deer is. Only whether or not it has antlers.

Correct, sex has nothing to do with tagging requirements.

Re: Tag question - 01/18/15 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Birdog62
I didn't think we had buck tags. I thought they said buck or antlerless and antlerless only. So it didn't matter which tag he used he just needs to log it correctly, antlerless. I take it he used his buck or antlerless tag which is fine, as long as he logged it as an antlerless, but a waste of an opportunity at taking a buck later.
Thank you!!!
This is what I was getting at.
In this case, if he used a either sex tag, filled the back out as a buck, got checked, more than likely the GW would make him correct it, changing it from buck to antlerless. But there are some GW's out there, whether they just had a bad day or if they are just an all around goober, might just give out a citation for tagging it incorrectly. He now has burned a either sex tag for no reason at all.

Re: Tag question - 01/18/15 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter

Correct, sex has nothing to do with tagging requirements.

yagh, tis not about de cahonas but de rack 2cents i got cheap posts. Edit: 2cents price of posten must of went up rofl try again flag
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tag question - 01/19/15 02:27 PM

In the counties I hunt in you can use an antlerless or buck tag on a doe/antlerless deer, I would assume he is fine.

By the letter of the law the "Most correct" way would be to use an antlerless tag. I can fill all 5 of my tags with does though and be legal.

Re: Tag question - 01/20/15 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
In the counties I hunt in you can use an antlerless or buck tag on a doe/antlerless deer, I would assume he is fine.

By the letter of the law the "Most correct" way would be to use an antlerless tag. I can fill all 5 of my tags with does though and be legal.

scratch if going by de letter of the law tis it the cahona's or rack that makes it a buck? whin a buck sheds, tis it a bumdeer 2cents still stick with me origanal post. tis my opinion, although it may stink, i tend ta fart alot flag
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Tag question - 01/20/15 06:13 PM

I think yall are all right, and all wrong. The definition we need is that of nubbin (or button).

If the button, or nubbin protrudes through the skin, and is hard, it is a BUCK. (so is the female 12 point, still a buck).

If the buttons or nubs do not protrude, or are soft, then it is antlerless.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Tag question - 01/21/15 06:44 PM

I always skin and quarter my deer and throw the meat in an ice chest. I tag the ear or antler and throw the head in the bed of my truck. I have been doing this for years and never had a problem. GWs use to set up on 220 north of Hico on busy weekends but it has been quite a while since I have seen one. Once a friend skinned a turkey and kept the whole skin and tail. GW said what the heck is that? The guy told him he was doing a version of the tail fan using the back feathers. GW just kind of geve him that whatever look.

Re: Tag question - 01/21/15 09:26 PM

I had emailed TPWD earlier in this thread before people believed what I was saying.....here is the response even though it seems to have cleared up.

Quote:
I have a question regarding tagging a "nubbing buck" or male deer that doesn't have antlers protruding through the skin. Is it correct that no matter the sex of a deer, a deer with no antlers protruding through the skin would be tagged as an antlerless deer? Thanks, Rex

Their response:

Quote:
Yes, if the deer has no hardened antler protruding through the skin, it is to be tagged as an antlerless deer.

Re: Tag question - 01/21/15 09:54 PM

I had emailed TPWD earlier in this thread before people believed what I was saying.....here is the response even though it seems to have cleared up.

Quote:
I have a question regarding tagging a "nubbing buck" or male deer that doesn't have antlers protruding through the skin. Is it correct that no matter the sex of a deer, a deer with no antlers protruding through the skin would be tagged as an antlerless deer? Thanks, Rex

Their response:

Quote:
Yes, if the deer has no hardened antler protruding through the skin, it is to be tagged as an antlerless deer.

cheers settles that. my question would be, if hunter tagged it as a buck, would he still give him a ticket for tagging it a buck? tis hunters tag, not GW. scratch still think hunter did okay flag

Re: Tag question - 01/21/15 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45

Quote:

Their response:

Quote:

cheers settles that. my question would be, if hunter tagged it as a buck, would he still give him a ticket for tagging it a buck? tis hunters tag, not GW. scratch still think hunter did okay flag
The tags are listed as "Antlerless Only" or "Buck or Antlerless". Either one of those tags wouldn't matter. It's what the hunter logs in on the back of his license. That is where he could get ticketed if checked by a GW while in possession of said deer. And if hunter uses the "Buck or Antlerless" tag on said deer and never gets checked, all he done was use a buck tag that he really didn't need to burn, especially if he hunts where he can kill up to 3 bucks.

Re: Tag question - 01/21/15 10:43 PM

Quote:

2cents here its 4 deer county. i shoot that 13"+ legal buck keeps showing up year after year opening weekend. then doe days hit. see deer step out antlerless. pull trigger. its a buck, in your view antlerless. so tagged cause GW give ticket. still got my spike tag. legal. now my english not fancy like most. a buck tis a buck then again if ya got the buck$ rofl a person could actualy take 4 bucks. only an idiot, would waste tags in these here hard times. An nother hunter cant complain about person using thar tags legaly. up cool thread flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum