Texas Hunting Forum

Need idea for collecting sheds

Posted By: artrios60

Need idea for collecting sheds - 01/13/15 12:57 AM

I am trying to see if anyone has found any luck in collecting sheds at their free choice protein feeders. We really don't want to set up wire fencing for them to get hung up in if antlers aren't ready to fall. Thinking of using a rod spanning the distance above tubes that will help knock them off

Anyone else?
These are the large rectangular #3k with 2-4 tubes/side
Posted By: don k

Re: Need idea for collecting sheds - 01/13/15 02:52 PM

They fall off when they are ready. Don't mess with "Mother Nature".
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: Need idea for collecting sheds - 01/13/15 04:28 PM

google antler trap and go to images, there is lot's of good bungee systems that you can build for ten bucks or less. I would stay away from anything with fencing or wiring, I would hate to see a deer get caught up in a fence when his antlers are not ready to come off...just MO
Posted By: HogBranch

Re: Need idea for collecting sheds - 01/13/15 05:01 PM

Here is what I did last year. It worked well, found several sheds right around the feeder.

Use an old skull with antlers to determine the height of the bar. I used eye bolts on the top bar so that I could just put the hanging bar up when not in use.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Need idea for collecting sheds - 01/13/15 05:31 PM

Found my first new shed yesterday in Mills county laying in the middle of a dirt road. eek2
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Need idea for collecting sheds - 01/13/15 05:50 PM

Go batwing your pasture and youll find them... usually with the tire
Posted By: don k

Re: Need idea for collecting sheds - 01/13/15 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Go batwing your pasture and youll find them... usually with the tire
That always works for me. That or the truck or Kubota.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Need idea for collecting sheds - 01/13/15 06:17 PM

Follow your fence lines also!
Posted By: KG68

Re: Need idea for collecting sheds - 01/13/15 09:23 PM

Yeah and just look for em in your tires. hammer

Posted By: Bulldog4949

Re: Need idea for collecting sheds - 01/13/15 11:23 PM

One of my several shed hunting places is, I get to shed hunt a beautiful 3-4 section ranch and his 3 big nice wheat fields right along a nice creek, due to that last picture.

He said I can help myself to the wheat fields cause tractor tires are too dang expensive. Ok, I'll take it..
Posted By: artrios60

Re: Need idea for collecting sheds - 01/13/15 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: HogBranch
Here is what I did last year. It worked well, found several sheds right around the feeder.

Use an old skull with antlers to determine the height of the bar. I used eye bolts on the top bar so that I could just put the hanging bar up when not in use.

This is exactly along the lines I was thinking. I would have to manufacture a little differently but I will have to try.
We just want to make the search a little easier. Broomweed is still so tall and other growth its made it difficult to even track down deer. Yes, we always search the fence lines we, make almost weekly runs down the fence checking for problems. (HF) Really want to try and find more of the larger 200" sheds this year. You would think its easy "NOT"
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Need idea for collecting sheds - 01/14/15 04:19 AM

Was looking at a few sites and YouTube vids. Some good ideas there. up
Posted By: Fishercounty

Re: Need idea for collecting sheds - 01/14/15 07:00 AM

Spring time near fence lines never fails.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum