Texas Hunting Forum

How do you train!?

Posted By: Sq2 hunter

How do you train!? - 01/07/15 12:47 AM

Hey all I'm getting ready for archery elk season and just wondering what everybody does for this type of hunt to get in shape!?
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 01:18 AM

Mostly, I just talk about and think about working out. I always survive the hunt, so it seems to help.

When I actually do something physical to prepare for an elk hunt, I like to do as many stairs as possible for my cardio, or hill climbs. I feel like that's far superior to flat land walking, although mixing it up with some variety is great. Also, don't neglect your strength training. Guys focus on cardio and come up a little short, most of the time. Look at Cameron Haynes. There's probably not a better example of anyone that trains for elk hunting. He trains about like a lightweight MMA fighter, minus the fighting part. Very well rounded.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 01:22 AM

Get in the best shape you can, cardio an strength will help. One thing I finally learned is go a few days early if you can to get accustomed to the altitude. Stairs are good but think real hills are better if available.
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 02:45 AM

Find the steepest stairs you can and put a 100lb pack on your back and do that for an hour 4-5 times a week. Practice going up and down. When your hunting the down sucks almost as bad as the up, especially if your boots are a little loose.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 01:26 PM

Cardio for the lungs. Incline work for the legs. Hills are the only way I know to work on the downhill part (maybe stadium work).

Getting there early and acclimating is a great tip.

Be in the best shape you can of course. That said, I have found about 80% of it is mental once you get on the mountain. I have seen guys in great physical condition get overwhelmed by the mountains, the cold, the long days, etc. And I have seen guys you would think couldn't hack it suck it up and do well.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 01:32 PM

crossfit will do the trick
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 01:37 PM

Walk 18 stories every other day......starting with 45lbs work up to 90lbs. Good pack and great boots.

You can't beat the altitude, but can condition your self to recover quicker.

Rest of it like NP said is just mental.

If your doing it right your glassing 70% of the time and hunting 30% of the time...this is for elk.
Mulies you're glassing 95% of the time hunting 5%

Practice with you bow with a pack on and from every position you can think up. Get confident at 50 yards.

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

Or put you on the side lines
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 01:42 PM

Oh god here we go....

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 01:45 PM

If your out of shape already then you need to get in good general shape

If your in shape you'll be fine. I kept hearing about all this "gotta train for the mountains" talk and it's really not bad at all. If your 30 lbs overweight and haven't been to the gym in 15 years your gonna have a tougher time than someone who keeps themselves in a reasonable level of fitness

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Oh god here we go....

Crossfit isn't bad, as long as you have great trainers that teach proper form and don't push you to or past your limit on certain lifts. With that said people where Cushing the mountains long before crossfit

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 01:51 PM

If your in shape you'll be fine. I kept hearing about all this "gotta train for the mountains" talk and it's really not bad at all. If your 30 lbs overweight and haven't been to the gym in 15 years your gonna have a tougher time than someone who keeps themselves in a reasonable level of fitness

I agree with this for the most part, but it really depends how far and how high you go in. I'd prepare for the worst if you can. I'd sure hate to get on a stud and not be able to get in front of him because I didn't do a little extra when I could of. Or lose a big chuck of meat because I couldn't get him out in a timely matter

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 02:12 PM

Oh god here we go....

that was for you sir.

but i'm saerious too, i didnt cheerlead it, just recommended it. if you are mature about your limitations and find a good gym it will get you in great shape.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 02:13 PM

All these are correct, cardio is important but so is endurance and strength, particularly in your legs. The number of times my buddy (who guided) told me about hunters that couldn't even get to the elk much less get one was truely a PITA and frustrating for a guide that is willing to work hard for you.
Posted By: Western

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 02:32 PM

This is so true IMO. Working out for a few months might help, but a lifestyle can make the overall difference.

Also Agree with BOBO, if your wearing yourself out in the Rockies, you aren't hunting, you're "hiking".

I smoke, drink to much coffee and have hunted the Rockies since 1979 or 80, sure much easier when I was younger, but have come great friends with my limitations. I pace myself and plan my hunt based on what I feel I can do.

My routine is usually changing the fishing line on my fishing poles grin

If you have a certain "health " issue, then you have to address that (I'm loosing serious bone and have a severe bad spinal issues for a few years now) I have taken Diabetics, a few very over weight fellas, they did fine, but stayed within their body's comfort zone. The few I have seen struggle get hurt, where the "jocks" oddly enough.

Take Ginger if you get stomach sickness for a few days before you get there and as BOBO said, going early will help your body acclimate ( I have never had an altitude problem)

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I agree with this for the most part, but it really depends how far and how high you go in. I'd prepare for the worst if you can. I'd sure hate to get on a stud and not be able to get in front of him because I didn't do a little extra when I could of. Or lose a big chuck of meat because I couldn't get him out in a timely matter

We were at 10k feet and none of us had any problems. Didn't have any issues in New Mexico at 8k feet either

I can't speak for altitudes at 12+ k but any fitness training would not prepare you for it

If your in shape, have a proper height:weight and acceptable body fat level you will be fine

The only reason a person would have to condition to go to the mountains is if they were out of shape to begin with

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 03:30 PM

If I chased them with a rifle, I wouldn't worry about it to much, bow is a little different.

10k driving to and hiking in is different then hiking in and going from 8k-10k... On top of that all country is different. Some nasty country in NM but most part it's not.. CO is 60/40 being more then half the state is plains, but where it's not it can be pretty ugly in places

You don't have to be Cam, but it's going to help you more then hurt you. When you look at success ratios and only 10% of archery hunters kill elk and you find out more then half of that 10% kill elk consistently you start looking for trends... Being in good shape happens to be part of that trend.

On the same note I know guys that are 100% last 4 years and they can barely crawl up into their waterhole tree stand... But again they are hunting waterholes on Private.

Put it this way your going to spend a lot of money on tags, gas and equipment....take out an insurance policy via being as active in the off season as possible

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 03:35 PM

We were at 10k feet and none of us had any problems. Didn't have any issues in New Mexico at 8k feet either

I can't speak for altitudes at 12+ k but any fitness training would not prepare you for it

If your in shape, have a proper height:weight and acceptable body fat level you will be fine
The only reason a person would have to condition to go to the mountains is if they were out of shape to begin with

what percentage of guys on this forum do you think fit your criteria?

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 03:45 PM

what percentage of guys on this forum do you think fit your criteria?

prolly 10%

and if that is the case, they should train to be healthier overall not just train to go hike up and down the mountains.

Colorado isn't that bad. there are areas in the hill country and west texas that are just as rough just the altitude is different. same %grades.

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 03:57 PM

I am not in the 10%. It takes knowing I am going to the mountains to hunt to get me motivated to even get closer to the 10%. Honestly, that's one reason my wife has become more supportive of my hunting trips. Just being honest.

I will add this: being a little guy helps. It just does. I weigh 175 out of shape and about 160-165 in shape. If you are a big guy you just have to be in better shape to carry your own weight. Just the way it is. If you are big and fat you're probably not going to be able to do much.

At 50, my days of packing in everything on my back and trudging the mountains day in and day out are probably over. I am much more the tortoise than the hare these days. But, hey, the tortoise won the race. smile

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 04:07 PM

Side note on Cameron Hanes: I admire him and think he is an amazing dude. And a good guy.

OTOH, I feel his constant focus on his condition and obsessive training regimen was often counterproductive. Even condescending at times. IMO he has scared a lot of folks away from western hunting by making them think one must train like a madman and be able to run the "Bighorn 50" in order to hunt out west. That's just not the case.

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Side note on Cameron Hanes: I admire him and think he is an amazing dude. And a good guy.

OTOH, I feel his constant focus on his condition and obsessive training regimen was often counterproductive. Even condescending at times. IMO he has scared a lot of folks away from western hunting by making them think one must train like a madman and be able to run the "Bighorn 50" in order to hunt out west. That's just not the case.

Not at all.

Guys like that are marketers, he is marketing himself the same way duck commander markets thst you can't kill ducks without benelli shotguns and black cloud shells

Look at all the guys from the 60's and 70's and before killing giant elk and mule deer

None of them looked like Cameron haynes.

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 05:13 PM

Not at all.

Guys like that are marketers, he is marketing himself the same way duck commander markets thst you can't kill ducks without benelli shotguns and black cloud shells

Look at all the guys from the 60's and 70's and before killing giant elk and mule deer

None of them looked like Cameron haynes.

You have to meet Cam to understand Cam. Cam is a professional athlete that lives to Bow hunt. Guys at his age that are like him, are motivated via over coming common myths, like consistent successful DIY hunts...year after year. Cam monster muscles just came about in the last two years. But he has been a professional ultra Iong distance runner for well over 15 years. He is actually a little guy

When you spend some time with him you realize he just wants everyone to have the best opportunity at succeeding as him. He just chooses not to have being out of shape as an excuse if he looses to the mountain. Things you can control are terrible excuses

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 05:20 PM

prolly 10%

and if that is the case, they should train to be healthier overall not just train to go hike up and down the mountains.

Colorado isn't that bad. there are areas in the hill country and west texas that are just as rough just the altitude is different. same %grades.

You have hunted one unit in CO. Lol

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 05:23 PM

I'm not dogging cam he is in great shape

In laymens terms he is a .300 ultra.

You don't need a .300 ultra to be successful just gotta be in .270 shape

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 05:26 PM

prolly 10%

You have hunted one unit in CO. Lol

Yeah but I've been to Colorado 3 times and New Mexico twice

Only hunts once, but still hiked around in the forests

People talk about Colorado like its a space mission or something. The pysc themselves up and it's all for naught

Guys that get out of breath walking to their blinds in Texas are gonna have a hard time in the mountains.

Guys that are in decent shape won't. You don't have to take a million mountain trips to figure it out

Posted By: Western

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 05:51 PM

You fellas are making me tired! LOL

I have to agree with Trophy for the most part. Good shape is great for reasons besides hunting and will sure make a mountain hunt "easier", but I bet most folks that go, aren't in the 10%, heck not even in the 30%. Mentally being ready and knowing your limit is as important IMO.

I have a young friend that has hunted with me off and on for years, since I took him on his 1st Colorado hunt. He can leave 20 minutes before shooting light and be 2k' up in that time, damn fit young man. Me, to get to the same spot, I will leave an hour earlier and pace myselfgrin.

Sure not knocking the physical aspect, but that doesn't guarantee success either.. In other words, I think anyone that wants to go and try it, should, just be honest with yourself on your shape and abilities. If you want to work out like you're going to run the Baja beside the trucks, more power to ya..
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 06:09 PM

Get there 2 or 3 days early, that is about the time it takes to acclimate to the lack of oxygen. The first day you will be huffing and puffing, the second will be better, by the 3rd you will still not be a 100% but close enough.

Screw running the stadium bleachers or stair wells with a pack, Neither has rocks or dirt that slips and slides, you need to be on real hill sides to strengthen your ankles, nothing sucks like a screwed up ankle when you are in the middle of nowhere.

Take your summer vacation where you can hike up and down a few of those 1000 foot climbs a few times a day. Make sure you overload your pack, if you have to pack out an elk you will appreciate the extra weight. Buy 2 sets of boots now, get them broken in well in advance, why 2 sets, if one gets wet you want a dry pair. Cold wet feet makes for miserable days.
Posted By: DH 1

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 06:28 PM

Make sure the Jeeps tires are in good shape. Make sure to lay in a good supply of adult beverages. Get a good nights sleep and arrive a couple hours before the hunt. Wait till it warms up a little and find a spot that is easy walking distance from the Jeep.
Glass a little..when the sucker shows up..shoot rifle Find some help for the skinning/quartering. Take pictures for this website...Done! cheers
Posted By: Ntgrty

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 06:47 PM

Yesterday I was on the treadmill for about an hour thinking about this year's upcoming hunt and contemplating my activities. Tomorrow I may turn the &^^%$% thing on ninja

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 08:00 PM

Ugh it's so much work!!! I did and hour on level 10 setting on the stairmaster with 100 pounds in a frame pack and swam 100 laps afterwards yesterday.. I'm trying to do that 4 times a week plus my weight training 5 days a week.. I need to start doing my pack frame walking on real stairs though.. Are y'all eating healthy on top of your workout?

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Sq2 hunter
Ugh it's so much work!!! I did and hour on level 10 setting on the stairmaster with 100 pounds in a frame pack and swam 100 laps afterwards yesterday.. I'm trying to do that 4 times a week plus my weight training 5 days a week.. I need to start doing my pack frame walking on real stairs though.. Are y'all eating healthy on top of your workout?

I dip snuff and smoke mentholated cigarettes and have an affinity for chimichangas

Your way overthinking this

If you work out 5 days a week then your fine with just that. And yes always eat healthy

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 08:14 PM

I just like being able to get around up there easily. My first trip was a nightmare so for my last two trips I've been trying to prep better... My problem is the beer!!! Lol

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 08:14 PM

Yeah beer isn't on the Heath plan

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 08:15 PM

Lol pretty much a typical Cameron workout.

I bought and read his book. After awhile it just gave me tired-head. You're a beast-we get it. When he intimated taking pride in missing holiday time and time with the kids for workouts I kinda stepped off the bus. He was very subtle-the words were tinged with regret, but the overall message was "that's just what it takes".

Like I said, I'm sure he's a great guy. But if his goal is more participation, he sure sets the bar mighty high.....

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 08:42 PM

Lol pretty much a typical Cameron workout.

I bought and read his book. After awhile it just gave me tired-head. You're a beast-we get it. When he intimated taking pride in missing holiday time and time with the kids for workouts I kinda stepped off the bus. He was very subtle-the words were tinged with regret, but the overall message was "that's just what it takes".

Like I said, I'm sure he's a great guy. But if his goal is more participation, he sure sets the bar mighty high.....

From his blog:

You might wonder, how did I put on 25# of muscle while still keeping most of my above average endurance. Well firstly, with hard work. There is no such thing as magic pills regarding muscle building. Results from the supplements I take come from plain old fashion hard work. That being said, these supplements will get your muscles ready to explode.
Grab a piece of paper and a pen now. On any given day, for growth, I take one tablet each of external testosterone in the A.M. and P.M. from Legal Limit Labs called Super Nova, along with another LLL productcalled Halo-Zol and anabolic optimizer from LLL and I take two tablets early and late of a product called Mega Shred. All of this stuff is for lean weight gain and it works. In the evening after work, I down some Xyience and head to the gym fired up because on these supplements I know I won’t feel the fatiguing effects of lifting nearly as much. I have a hard time leaving the gym because I am not tired. When I am there I lift harder because I know these products are giving my muscles exactly what I need to get them jacked and get me ready to dominate the backcountry. I want to stay until I feel like every muscle shred is broke down. I don’t have an unlimited amount of time but I give it all I have for about an hour. Mentally, with all the running I do, my commitment to my bow and arrow rig and daily practice and my success in the gym I feel like killing a big bull is my only option. Failure doesn’t even enter my mind. I’ve never felt more prepared, we will see?
In regard to general health I also take Super Calcium twice a day, Magnesium twice a day, Vitamin D gel tabs and from Complete Nutrition I take their multi-vitamin, Complete Man and a couple doses of Udo’s Oil which is omega fatty acid.
I set up this program with guidance from Jason Harms. He is the master on why this stuff works and what kind of results you can expect so I would suggest giving him a call with any technical answers or questions on pricing. Don’t forget the Cam Hanes fan 22% off. You can Email me with more questions at cam@cameronhanes.com or Jason at jharms@completenutrition.com. You can also call Jason at his store in Eugene, Oregon at 541-653-9443 when ready to pull the trigger. Exciting times….helping other better themselves gives me a good feeling. Train hard. Hunt easy. Cam
- See more at: http://www.cameronhanes.com/2011/07/wanna-pile-on-25-lbs-of-muscle-for-the-mountains/#.dpuf

Wonder if any of those sups are on the list of banned substances for a pro athlete?

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 09:00 PM

It's just your normal pre and post work out stuff. He eats, lifts, shoots, writes, then runs.... He is your normal pro athlete.. You get paid to be inshape

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 09:03 PM

I dip snuff and smoke mentholated cigarettes and have an affinity for chimichangas

Your way overthinking this

If you work out 5 days a week then your fine with just that. And yes always eat healthy

Lol...I'm going to agree. He will be fine..lol

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 09:03 PM

Looked it up, halo zoo and supernova is a pro-hormone

Any kind of testosterone supp is not a normal pre-post workout either

Not taking anything away from him but he is basically juicing and going into the mountains instead of walking onto the sports field

Gotta go to the gym now. Elk season is only 9 months away!

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 09:06 PM

Looked it up, halo zoo and supernova is a pro-hormone

Any kind of testosterone supp is not a normal pre-post workout either

Not taking anything away from him but he is basically juicing and going into the mountains instead of walking onto the sports field

Gotta go to the gym now. Elk season is only 9 months away!

Which is junk... More or less.

You do realize he runs 100mile races right?

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 10:12 PM

It's just your normal pre and post work out stuff. He eats, lifts, shoots, writes, then runs.... He is your normal pro athlete.. You get paid to be inshape

That is true.

Just for grins, I'll spin it off another direction:

These guys all tout DIY, DIY, DIY - as if you are a putz if you go guided. But, I ask: Aren't the guys who are in the "hunting for a living" gig just their own guides? I mean, crap, if I lived in MT or WY and my 24/7/365 job was hunting big game-I believe I could research and scout some pretty great areas too. And ,no, I wouldn't need a guide then. IMO it's a little disingenuous to look down their noses at a guy who can only hunt out west a week or two out of the year, so he hires a guide. Them dissing it would be kind of like me dissing someone for not trying their own lawsuits. Heck, even the Eastmans' hunt private outfitted ranches when they go outside of their home state.

P.S. I have hunted without a guide out west several times.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 10:29 PM

I don't understand any elitism in hunting. I hunt the way I want to. If someone wants to hunt different, what does that matter to me?

I don't believe all of them look down on guided hunters, though some may. I think they just like to build up their own success, as if it matters more. Maybe to them. All that matters to me is what I do.
Posted By: jefeh

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 10:47 PM

The biggest thing you can do when you hunt here is to hydrate. People don't realize that we are really just a high desert. Our humidity is 30% on a wet day! Dehydration will get you before the altitude does. I live at 8300' feet and run 30-50 miles a week and packing out an elk still leaves me gassed! Remember if it was that much of a struggle getting to your hunting spot, its going to be 5x as difficult leaving with that animal.

Also learn how to shoot when you're out of breathe. If you practice off a bench, it is not going to be that practical when you're in the mountains.

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 10:55 PM

^^^^^^ Boy, the hydration thing is huge. I couldn't believe what a difference it made when I started using a bladder and sipping from it regularly.
Posted By: jefeh

Re: How do you train!? - 01/07/15 11:02 PM

I think the majority of the weight in my pack is from the water and Gatorade. I used to use Nalgene bottles but they make too much noise when half full. If I'm out for the day I take 4-32oz gatorades and 4 bottles of water. Don't always drink the whole amount, but I force myself to drink 2 of each even if I'm not thirsty. Makes a big difference.

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 12:50 AM

That is true.

Just for grins, I'll spin it off another direction:

These guys all tout DIY, DIY, DIY - as if you are a putz if you go guided. But, I ask: Aren't the guys who are in the "hunting for a living" gig just their own guides? I mean, crap, if I lived in MT or WY and my 24/7/365 job was hunting big game-I believe I could research and scout some pretty great areas too. And ,no, I wouldn't need a guide then. IMO it's a little disingenuous to look down their noses at a guy who can only hunt out west a week or two out of the year, so he hires a guide. Them dissing it would be kind of like me dissing someone for not trying their own lawsuits. Heck, even the Eastmans' hunt private outfitted ranches when they go outside of their home state.

P.S. I have hunted without a guide out west several times.

I chuckle because I agree. But kind of like having three days to hunt so you hunt HF... smile

DIY stuff is what it is a huge learning experiment... But eastmans kills me!!!!! I like their mags, but come on don't talk smack about govern tags, Indian reservations etc when you take yourself and hunt winner on a 200k acre ranch and only shoot 350 plus Bulls!!!!

I do all guided...unguided...private..public etc. I just have fun

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 01:18 AM

Wow this guy is crazy!!!

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 01:19 AM

First step in getting in mountain shape is go buy under armour and Sitka gear

That's step 1

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 01:28 AM

That's step 1

Lol

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 01:28 AM

Wow this guy is crazy!!!

Cam is a really cool guy in person.. More of a motivational type, then the me, me, me that some read him as

I can't run anymore and haven't ran more then 40 yards since 2001. I walk stairs and do elliptical or strider. Most my weight work out or core based.

TXTrophy might be a 145lb wet, and gifted with a fast metabolism. The rest of society is not including me.

Even the old timers NP and Western ( aka older then me). Would love to have same build and endurance they had 20 plus years ago combined with the hunting knowledge they have today. It would make they highly efficient.

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 01:32 AM

When I go after a Dall I'm gonna take you up on that lightweight pack-should cut at least 3 months off my training time.

grin

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 01:42 AM

Wow this guy is crazy!!!

Cam is a really cool guy in person.. More of a motivational type, then the me, me, me that some read him as

I can't run anymore and haven't ran more then 40 yards since 2001. I walk stairs and do elliptical or strider. Most my weight work out or core based.

TXTrophy might be a 145lb wet, and gifted with a fast metabolism. The rest of society is not including me.

Even the old timers NP and Western ( aka older then me). Would love to have same build and endurance they had 20 plus years ago combined with the hunting knowledge they have today. It would make they highly efficient.

I'm 147 as of last Mondays doctor visit.

I actually got a warning because my BMI is .45 from being 25 or obese. I chuckled at that

I eat right and don't overeat

That's the secret

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 01:49 AM

When I go after a Dall I'm gonna take you up on that lightweight pack-should cut at least 3 months off my training time.

grin

Lol.. I actually ran it with no bag and just a stuff sack most my hunt. The rest of the year I've been using to pack in my climbing stand. My mulie went down 500yards from a road so it was a God send other then it was 500 yards down a nasty ravine and a nasty storm was blowing in and I had a drop dead time frame I had to be on the road and headed to DFW for a flight. So we gutted it and a buddy and I humped deer out whole via our shoulders. Fun hike.. Only 150lbs a peice probably.

It's pretty comfortable though it's a Cadillac compared to ebler's straps.

But truthfully you should just take the Argo smile

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 01:54 AM

Wow this guy is crazy!!!

I'm 147 as of last Mondays doctor visit.

I actually got a warning because my BMI is .45 from being 25 or obese. I chuckled at that

I eat right and don't overeat

That's the secret

My first year of college I was 225 at 8% via the tub(I was at 6% for a little while then I got put on a special high cal diet due to I felt like I was going to pass out most the time). I'm a lot higher now but under 220

I haven't seen under 200 since my freshman year of high school. You're a little thumbtack lol.

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 01:54 AM

Give me a few more years and I may shut up about the Argo. smile

tth-147? Lordy mercy son you are built for speed.......

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 01:56 AM

No, him and T nT taxi are about same size...put some weight on their back.... They slow down quick!!!

And no Taylor I'm not ready for a hike!!!

NP hunt they way you want as long as you can!!! Then decide if the compromise is worth it

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 02:00 AM

That's step 1

Ok that was pretty good

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 02:27 AM

No, him and T nT taxi are about same size...put some weight on their back.... They slow down quick!!!

NP hunt they way you want as long as you can!!! Then decide if the compromise is worth it

Where we come up short (pun intended) is our stride isn't as great as taller folks so we actually don't cover ground as fast. Following people sucks because you have to walk a third faster just to keep up.

The weight part.....depends on the person. I don't enjoy carrying 100+ lbs on a pack frame but I can do it. But everything else being equal a guy that is 220 is gonna be able to carry more weight for longer periods of time 100% of the time than a guy who is 150

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 02:32 AM

It's all relative I have a friend that's 6'7.. I won't hunt with him. It kills me literally.

The key is to get out front, then rest why your waiting on the slower guys, then when they get to you start up again....

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 02:34 AM

Where we come up short (pun intended) is our stride isn't as great as taller folks so we actually don't cover ground as fast. Following people sucks because you have to walk a third faster just to keep up.

The weight part.....depends on the person. I don't enjoy carrying 100+ lbs on a pack frame but I can do it. But everything else being equal a guy that is 220 is gonna be able to carry more weight for longer periods of time 100% of the time

That's true about the steps. And the weight/strength. I ain't carrying no 100 lbs. plus more than a very reasonable distance. 60 lbs. back up and over was pretty tough on me-especially since we had to play "beat the clock" and be off the mountain before dark-or spend the night up there.

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 02:38 AM

It's all relative I have a friend that's 6'7.. I won't hunt with him. It kills me literally.

The key is to get out front, then rest why your waiting on the slower guys, then when they get to you start up again....

Had a young guide like that once. Told him it didn't matter if he saw the Chadwick ram if I wasn't there. Finally told him every time he took off on me his tip went down $100. He quit. smile

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 02:41 AM

What were the nights like in AZ?

Desert can get real chilly at night

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 02:54 AM

What were the nights like in AZ?

Desert can get real chilly at night

Weather was perfect to me. 30-35 in the mornings warming up to 60-65 during the day. Dry air made it even better.
Posted By: cmc

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 02:57 AM

Ive been to colorado a dozen times and montana once. I'm no mountain hunter by any means but I've killed elk and mule deer and I've walked those mountains for miles 7-10 days straight and if I had one "tip" it would no doubt be mentally prepare.
I'm 6'4 190 and not muscular but I walk 6-8 miles a day in all weather all year long for work, I eat gravy by the gallons and drink sweet tea by the buckets and throw in a dip or a Marlboro for good measure on occasions but I never question that I can't do it and I never consider failure to reach an animal as an option.
Before the hunt I will cut back on sweet tea some and that alone with regular work will take off a few pounds in a couple weeks. I figure the less weight I carry in the more I can carry out.

Second thing for me is hydration. I can be drained and start to think I'm done and get some liquids in me and feel 100% better, best thing is not to get drained keep hydrated as you go. For me food is as important, I need something not heavy but filling. Don't forget also you burn a lot of calories in extreme cold and need calories to stay warm and comfortable to keep going.

I don't think hours on end of gym workouts is a difference maker, don't be a fatass and have some want to and you'll be fine.

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: cmc
Ive been to colorado a dozen times and montana once. I'm no mountain hunter by any means but I've killed elk and mule deer and I've walked those mountains for miles 7-10 days straight and if I had one "tip" it would no doubt be mentally prepare.
I'm 6'4 190 and not muscular but I walk 6-8 miles a day in all weather all year long for work, I eat gravy by the gallons and drink sweet tea by the buckets and throw in a dip or a Marlboro for good measure on occasions but I never question that I can't do it and I never consider failure to reach an animal as an option.
Before the hunt I will cut back on sweet tea some and that alone with regular work will take off a few pounds in a couple weeks. I figure the less weight I carry in the more I can carry out.

Second thing for me is hydration. I can be drained and start to think I'm done and get some liquids in me and feel 100% better, best thing is not to get drained keep hydrated as you go. For me food is as important, I need something not heavy but filling. Don't forget also you burn a lot of calories in extreme cold and need calories to stay warm and comfortable to keep going.

I don't think hours on end of gym workouts is a difference maker, don't be a fatass and have some want to and you'll be fine.

Pretty much my thoughts for my hunting style. I know my limitations, but they are not as much as even I might think if I stay hydrated and keep a positive attitude. That said, I ain't gonna tackle the Wrangells on a 20 mile pack in hunt either. I'll leave that for Cameron and Roy Roth.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 03:59 AM

There really is nothing comparable to walking up a steep mountain. Before my last trip to Afghanistan I knew we would be doing lots of dismounted patrols with some being in steep terrain. I did lots of stair stepper, running, ruck marching and when we got there I was out of breathe walking from the chopper bc of the elevation. After a few weeks of climbing steep hills and mountains I was in pretty dang good shape. They do sell a mask that limits oxygen to get you use to less oxygen at higher altitudes. Good Luck
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
There really is nothing comparable to walking up a steep mountain. Before my last trip to Afghanistan I knew we would be doing lots of dismounted patrols with some being in steep terrain. I did lots of stair stepper, running, ruck marching and when we got there I was out of breathe walking from the chopper bc of the elevation. After a few weeks of climbing steep hills and mountains I was in pretty dang good shape. They do sell a mask that limits oxygen to get you use to less oxygen at higher altitudes. Good Luck

Do you have a good source for the mask???
Posted By: folsom

Re: How do you train!? - 01/08/15 08:14 PM

They are called elevation training masks. The new version is called the 2.0 I believe. I've used them for sport specific training and find them to be a nuisance more then any thing honestly. And my gym is sponsored by them so I guess I shouldn't say that. Any further questions shoot me a dm and I'll help with questions if I can.

Re: How do you train!? - 01/10/15 08:12 PM

More to the point I would recommend leg training to help pack out an animal after it's down. Squats/leg presses are good
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: How do you train!? - 01/12/15 01:49 AM

I've been doing this program for a couple weeks and seeing some quick improvements. I like that it's all bodyweight and can be done pretty much anywhere. For example, in my living room at 10 after the kids are in bed.

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: How do you train!? - 01/12/15 02:36 AM

Ugh it's so much work!!! I did and hour on level 10 setting on the stairmaster with 100 pounds in a frame pack and swam 100 laps afterwards yesterday.. I'm trying to do that 4 times a week plus my weight training 5 days a week..

Sweet fancy moses, that's a heck of a workout. You must be planning on catching and then wrestling your prey to the ground.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum