Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting in Real County Leakey,TX???

Posted By: EcKo sHoT

Hunting in Real County Leakey,TX??? - 01/04/15 02:34 AM

Hello Everyone!

I am looking at some land in Real County near Leakey Texas. Has anyone ever hunted this area? I would like to know how the deer population in the area is. I have been to the land already to set up some game cams but i wanted to see your thoughts from past hunts in the area.

Regards,

Eric
Posted By: Ben Dover

Re: Hunting in Real County Leakey,TX??? - 01/04/15 02:39 AM

My family owned land there 20 years ago. One mile West of town, approximately 950 acres. More deer than anywhere I ever hunted. White Tails were the size of Jackrabbits. We got to where all we would kill was the Axis and Sika as they taste better. No shortage of free range exotics.
Posted By: BMD

Re: Hunting in Real County Leakey,TX??? - 01/04/15 02:39 AM

Deer are small but tons of exotics from aoudad to elk and anywhere in between axis and fallows if you ever have a spot open hollar I love that area.

Re: Hunting in Real County Leakey,TX??? - 01/04/15 02:43 AM

how is the current deer population?

thanks for the reply!!!
Posted By: TCB

Re: Hunting in Real County Leakey,TX??? - 01/04/15 02:45 AM

Deer are smaller, 120-130 is a big deer but you never know what's going to walk out. I've hunted for 20 years on a friends place by Campwood and we've seen elk, hogs, Sika, monkeys and lots of free range axis.
Posted By: TCB

Re: Hunting in Real County Leakey,TX??? - 01/04/15 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: EcKo sHoT

thanks for the reply!!!

This year was very good for numbers and good size bucks, again relative to the area.
Posted By: Kobus

Re: Hunting in Real County Leakey,TX??? - 01/04/15 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: TCB
Deer are smaller, 120-130 is a big deer but you never know what's going to walk out. I've hunted for 20 years on a friends place by Campwood and we've seen elk, hogs, Sika, monkeys and lots of free range axis.

Monkeys!?

Re: Hunting in Real County Leakey,TX??? - 01/04/15 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: TCB

thanks for the reply!!!

This year was very good for numbers and good size bucks, again relative to the area.

Ty sir!

I live in Cypress Texas also!
Posted By: erok11

Re: Hunting in Real County Leakey,TX??? - 01/04/15 09:30 PM

Tons of deer (small) and exotics. Hunted a friends place between Leakey and Campwood. Lots of Aoudad and Axis on their place.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Hunting in Real County Leakey,TX??? - 01/05/15 06:38 AM

thanks for the reply!!!
That's a loaded question, seeing as how population density of game is connected to water. It's been my experience, hunting on open range north of Leakey. The WT are small, but numerous. Our land is on a substantial mountain. I've seen Axis, Aoudad, WT, Blackbuck. etc. The land is gorgeous and there is always swimming in the summer, hunting in the winter.
Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Hunting in Real County Leakey,TX??? - 01/05/15 11:20 AM

I lived in Leakey for a little while . Had a herd of axis that hung out in mine and the neighbors yards . Tons of game all over , never know what the hell will step out
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum