Texas Hunting Forum

anyone ever been moose hunting?

Posted By: 68A

anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/23/14 04:09 PM

Stories and pics?
Posted By: KG68

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/23/14 05:51 PM

About all I can tell you is a horse can outrun them pretty easily.Nuff said. grin peep
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/23/14 09:35 PM

Don't stand in front of him if you make a bad shot! cry
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/23/14 09:47 PM

WY 2005.Beautiful country. Magnificent animal-kinda intimidating but they aren't hard to kill. Not super wary either. Finding a good one is the hard part. Great hunt!

Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/23/14 10:01 PM

I grew up in moose country. They are so dumb and unpredictable that they are extremely dangerous. When they are in rut they are possible they most dangerous animal in the Americas. Oh yeah. and they taste good.....
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/24/14 12:34 AM

Would have to scan my old 35 mm pictures from 1972. I hunted out of Talkeetna, Alaska. Beautiful country, lots of great fishing and great bulls if you wait. Then again that was 40+ years ago. The Meat is A++++.

Short Story; Took a nice trophy bull. My first shot hit the bull square in the chest (he was facing me) When we got to him (10 yards) he jumped up, I thought he would never stop rising. Man they are huge up close. I dropped him with the second round. An image I will never forget.

After I took my bull the outfitter said "Sit on him and let me get your picture" .. I said you got to be kidding..... WOW!!! They are big. Then comes the packing out of the meat, horns, cape.... took us about a half a dozen 5 mile backpack trips.

Great memories, great hunt.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/24/14 04:41 AM

Seen them, but never hunted one.

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/24/14 06:23 AM

NP. GREAT Wyoming Bull up
Posted By: dawaba

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/24/14 01:13 PM

I've taken four moose over the years.

Shiras moose from Wyoming

Alaska-Yukon moose from the Hoholitna River area of Alaska

Eastern Canadian moose from Newfoundland

Western Canadian moose from British Columbia

They were shot with a .30-06, a .338WM, and a 7mmRM(2). They aren't particularly hard to kill or to hunt, but during the rut they'll come to you, which is pretty exciting. Moose meat is excellent fare, the best in North America, but unless you are able to drive your pickup to where you hunt, it's too expensive to fly it home. Every family in the north country lives on moose meat all through the winter.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/24/14 02:53 PM

great bulls dawaba but that 2nd pic is awesome.

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/24/14 04:59 PM

dawaba up up up up
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/24/14 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
dawaba up up up up

He has killed an animal or two...... smile
Posted By: Bucks&Ducks

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/25/14 04:55 AM

Moose/caribou hunted with Kawdy Outfitters on the border of British Columbia and Yukon back in 2011. Great outfit that Id hunt with again without any hesitation. Absolutely beautiful country and amazing animals. Never realized the ridiculous size of a moose until I walked up after the kill. Unreal how big they are!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ14o_MLCwQ

Posted By: dawaba

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/25/14 11:44 AM

Nice trophies!

I would agree that the hunting country of northern BC just might be the most beautiful in all of North America. Or maybe the kodachrome sandstone of southern Utah. Or it could be the coastal redwood country of northern California. Oh, and the rainy fiords of SE Alaska, where on a rare clear morning you are astonished to see that the mountains climb right out of the sea. Or perhaps the Thorofare with the impossibly resplendent grandeur of the Tetons to the SW and smoky Yellowstone to the NW, and a bull elk bugling in the black timber right below you.

But northern BC is best, I think. After an arduous morning of climbing, ignoring the protest of aching legs and aching lungs, you finally find yourself above timberline, above even the clouds; and then you suddenly realize with certain clarity that you are closer to God.
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/25/14 02:48 PM

bucksducks..... that looks incredible.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/25/14 03:02 PM

Great photos, Bucks&Ducks. I've hunted twice in BC and the scenery there is stunning.
Posted By: Western

Re: anyone ever been moose hunting? - 12/25/14 03:09 PM

Man! you fellas are throwing up some incredible photos and great trophy's!! up

Never hunted Moose, but sure would love too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum