Texas Hunting Forum

newbie here

Posted By: CRader

newbie here - 12/23/14 01:55 AM

Hey guys I'm pretty new to Texas and new to hunting. Can anyone recommend any kinda all purpose rifle? I'm mainly interested in hunting deer and hogs at least at first. Also any kind of gear in general I'll need. I'm also looking for so excited groups or people to kinda take me under their wing, teach me the ropes kinda thing, seeing as I really don't know anyone here.. thanks in advance
Posted By: 300j

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 03:01 AM

welcome
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 03:05 AM

welcome
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 03:15 AM

welcomeWhere you come from, if may ask?

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 05:28 AM

Well don't hold it against me lol but originally from Los Angeles
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 06:12 AM

welcome ta THF, for deer & hogs, .243 great rifle. Merry Christmas ta all their flag
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 06:38 AM

welcome
Posted By: txshntr

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 06:47 AM

Ah geez, we have been infiltrated by a Californian...I am out bolt

Grab a chair and get some mud boots because the bs gets deep. A lot of good folks and a lot of good information here. welcome

Gun: get one that you can shoot well. .243 will get the job done, but if I only had one (if the government ask, I only have a pellet gun), I would go with a .270 or 30-06. Both very versatile and you can hunt pretty much any animal in Texas with one.

As far as gear, get what you want. Part of the fun is realize that you can do without 99% of it. Texas hunting varies, so get a T-shirt, some thermals and a jacket.

Stick around bud, you can probably find a few folks that can help you along. Advice is free, but worth what you paid.

Might consider a few guided hunts to get your feet wet too cheers
Posted By: Gusval

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 07:43 AM

Welcome to THF. As far a an overall rifle to use if you could only purchase one would be a 30.06. Overkill on a white tail but never an overkill on a hog or if you decided to hunt bigger games. You can always down size on the caliber at a later date.
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 02:37 PM

welcome
Posted By: Western

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Gusval
Welcome to THF. As far a an overall rifle to use if you could only purchase one would be a 30.06. Overkill on a white tail but never an overkill on a hog or if you decided to hunt bigger games. You can always down size on the caliber at a later date.

You can downsize the bullet size as well as far as grains. 30.06 may not be the "new kid on the block", but probably has the widest range of available ammo.

Welcome to THF and Texas
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: Gusval

You can downsize the bullet size as well as far as grains. 30.06 may not be the "new kid on the block", but probably has the widest range of available ammo.

Welcome to THF and Texas

^^^This^^^
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 05:12 PM

I use both a 270 and a 30/06 on hogs and whitetail. I am very happy with both. Either one you will be happy with.
Posted By: KG68

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 05:47 PM

welcome
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 06:19 PM

Welcome.
Rifle? - anything you can shoot straight (centerfire). Buy the correct ammo for the right game.
You'll need hunters ed if you're born after 1971 (and license, of course).
Good pair of binoculars and a gutting-knife are recommended gear. most everything else is luxury.

Be sure to get an OutDoor Annual (TPWD free publication) - anywhere they sell licenses (Walmart, Academy, etc); read from cover to cover!!

Do you got somewhere (land / acres) to hunt? Most Texas land is private, but there is some public land.

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Ah geez, we have been infiltrated by a Californian...I am out bolt

Grab a chair and get some mud boots because the bs gets deep. A lot of good folks and a lot of good information here. welcome

Gun: get one that you can shoot well. .243 will get the job done, but if I only had one (if the government ask, I only have a pellet gun), I would go with a .270 or 30-06. Both very versatile and you can hunt pretty much any animal in Texas with one.

As far as gear, get what you want. Part of the fun is realize that you can do without 99% of it. Texas hunting varies, so get a T-shirt, some thermals and a jacket.

Stick around bud, you can probably find a few folks that can help you along. Advice is free, but worth what you paid.

Might consider a few guided hunts to get your feet wet too cheers

bigger is better. .270 is what went with whin jumped inta modern error. its kinda on light end for biggrr game than deer & hog. public land is $48.00 permit. most for deer are archery, few gun deer, most going ta draw hunts best wishes flag

Re: newbie here - 12/23/14 08:14 PM

.243, .270, & 30.06 savage had great price in all the calabors. great deal years ago. price of shells bout same. not sure were closest shooting range is, depends were ya hunt, here 100yrds is farthest distance have taken. flag
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: newbie here - 12/27/14 04:00 PM

Welcome to Texas, hunting and the forum. There are several calibers that fit your search for an all pupose rifle.

You can't go wrong with a 243, 270, 30-30, 30-06 or 308. I also like the 223 but I think it is best suited for varmits (my preference). You might want to explore some of the ballistics charts if you hadnt already. The different types of hunting may also come into play when choosing a caliber. Hunting in the woods versus open plains changes my choice of caliber as well as size of game. As you get further into hunting you may find the need and/or desire to have several calibers for different hunts.
But to answer your question directly, I would go with a 270, 30-06 or 308 if I only had one rifle. The 270 being my first choice. With that being said, my favorite rifle is my Remmington 700 (5R) in 308.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: newbie here - 12/27/14 04:57 PM

Welcome to Texas and THF!!! welcome
Posted By: Navasot

Re: newbie here - 12/27/14 05:02 PM

ello
Posted By: burkie38

Re: newbie here - 12/27/14 05:11 PM

Welcome!

Re: newbie here - 12/27/14 07:59 PM

scratch most on here have friends. reading thew the threads, tis pretty easy ta figure that out. tis a loner here, just got outa the luney bin for being muyloco , most hunts are solo. yagh, keep your head down wind. rofl tend ta fart alot. thar be some public land, guided, & day hunts. just depends how much ya can aford. best wishes flag
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: newbie here - 12/27/14 10:17 PM

I have several calibers of guns and the one I use most all the time anymore is the 270. I have taken game up to Elk size with it, good points are, shoots good, recoil is low enough for almost anyone and ammo is easy to find.

You will need good glasses, I use the Vortec Binoculars, I have 12 power and 16 power set, I don't think they make the 16 power anymore, but you get good glass for the money.

You will also need a good knife for gutting, skinning and cutting up the deer.

And you will need a good camera for taking pictures of your hunting trip.
Posted By: wetduck

Re: newbie here - 12/28/14 12:53 AM

you need the following
Rifle you got good advise above only thing i will add is if you can try several different rifle and calibers before buying
binos, dont go cheap spend a couple hundred you will understand later
hunters education
knife get a havalon and a buck 110 that will do every thing from rabbits to bear
check book
a good attitude
hunt you a$$ of and be happy to be able to
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: newbie here - 12/28/14 02:04 AM

Welcome!

Get you a .270 and don't look back. Or a .30-06 or a .308 or a .280 or a 7mm-08 or a 6.5 x 55 or a .257 Wby or a ......... smile
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: newbie here - 12/28/14 11:34 AM

welcome to the great state of Texas. texas

I would recommend the 270 for your rifle.

Re: newbie here - 12/28/14 03:40 PM

scratch another thing may wanna keep in mind is finding a rifle range. it can be tough trying ta find a place ta sight in rile & scope. getting usedta it & zeroed in. once ya get iy zeroed. & familiar tis like ridinh a bycicle. get a good gun case, has padding, in case ya a cluts like me. best wishes. flag

Re: newbie here - 01/02/15 01:02 AM

No land for me unfortunately.. Thanks for all the info this really helps.
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: newbie here - 01/02/15 03:38 AM

welcome

Re: newbie here - 01/02/15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: CRader
No land for me unfortunately.. Thanks for all the info this really helps.

confused2 some one around the big D should be able ta help with finding rifle range. most land in texas is privite owned. leases can be tough ta get on. theirs a Public Land Form lower in Form list. further south some have rifle deer hunts, most are draw rifle hunts. Archery can practic at house, if got 30yrds. also a Lease Form on here. flag
Posted By: png

Re: newbie here - 01/02/15 07:06 PM

I am also a beginner. My only purpose to have the rifle is for hunting.

I bought my Remington ADL 700 .243 and a decent scope from Academy Sports. It's a deadly accurate weapon. If I have a chance to re-do the process, I will go with the same gun with .270 caliber as I find it is harder to find .243 ammo.

I also have a powerful hand-gun as a side arm. This is particularly important to me for any unforeseeable situations in the field.
Posted By: MMTX

Re: newbie here - 01/23/15 11:15 PM

Welcome.

I like 7mm08 for deer. Easy to shoot and nice ballicits for the range I shoot. 100 to 200.

Gear. Boots, warm clothes like Walls bib's and jackets. You can by more expensive stuff but if you are hunting in a blind no need. Camp below the neck isn't necessary.

Good quality binoculars, knife, back pack, flashlight, cooler

I got along with that for a while and then just started adding stuff as I needed it.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: newbie here - 01/24/15 04:36 AM

Welcome

Re: newbie here - 01/24/15 01:53 PM

coffee nice pretty morning . u had chance ta get out thar? any invites ? flag
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: newbie here - 01/24/15 11:07 PM

welcome Did you get de-Californiaized when you hit the border? You're gonna like Texas....
Posted By: s^2d

Re: newbie here - 01/25/15 07:09 AM

For a rifle: My choice is a 30.06 . I have killed Whitetail/Hogs in Oklahoma to Moose/Grizzly in Alaska. Only difference is the grain of bullet used.

Equipment: In Texas you really don't need much. I've hunted with a guide that wore jeans and a t-shirt while I was decked out in KUIU gear. Ha!
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: newbie here - 01/25/15 03:32 PM

I'm planning on saving up for a 30.06. Them boogers do work.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: newbie here - 01/25/15 03:35 PM

Looks like the OP lost interest.

Re: newbie here - 01/25/15 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Looks like the OP lost interest.

confused2 i'd offer him ta go on a hog hunt at OSBWMA no garrentes, lots of wondering about the woods finding hogs always been de easy part. tis work getten hog out for grillen & chillen. my hunts down thar tis 98% solo hunts, been told me hunting stinks, scratch i do tend ta fart alot. flag

Re: newbie here - 01/25/15 05:39 PM

Hey guys I'm pretty new to Texas and new to hunting. Can anyone recommend any kinda all purpose rifle? I'm mainly interested in hunting deer and hogs at least at first. Also any kind of gear in general I'll need. I'm also looking for so excited groups or people to kinda take me under their wing, teach me the ropes kinda thing, seeing as I really don't know anyone here.. thanks in advance

scratch check out the Guided Hunt Form confused2 usualy they send pm or offer their service by now. havent read all posts. best wishes flag

Re: newbie here - 01/25/15 06:08 PM

tis re of repete. check the In The Field for a hog hunt, good info. Topic: New ta hog hunting by MN Hunter it just first one found on 1st page. again theirs plenty outfitters on here. solo hunts on WMA has worked for me. flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum