Texas Hunting Forum

Lawmaker wants 'Right to Hunt' in Texas constitution

Posted By: Palehorse

Lawmaker wants 'Right to Hunt' in Texas constitution - 12/19/14 01:18 PM

http://m.chron.com/hunting-fishing/artic...cmpid=hphtatfpm
Posted By: Western

Re: Lawmaker wants 'Right to Hunt' in Texas constitution - 12/19/14 01:26 PM

Hell, I'd vote for that like they do up in them eastern portions of liberal country, I will vote 2 or 3 times up
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Lawmaker wants 'Right to Hunt' in Texas constitution - 12/19/14 02:40 PM

Hey, the democrat motto is "vote early vote often."
Posted By: schmellba99

Re: Lawmaker wants 'Right to Hunt' in Texas constitution - 12/19/14 02:54 PM

The wording of this would be the key. I can see it becoming a Charlie Foxtrot with improper wording.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Lawmaker wants 'Right to Hunt' in Texas constitution - 12/19/14 03:29 PM

I'm sure it is just political pandering to a certain demographic, but hey, consider me pandered. I'll support it.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Lawmaker wants 'Right to Hunt' in Texas constitution - 12/19/14 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I'm sure it is just political pandering to a certain demographic, but hey, consider me pandered. I'll support it.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Lawmaker wants 'Right to Hunt' in Texas constitution - 12/19/14 06:45 PM

scratch Lawmaker wants 'Right to Hunt' in texas constitution . confused2 like pappy once said: more money ya have the more Freedom ya have . ya'll be cullen me with them thar big words. i got cheap posts flag
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Lawmaker wants 'Right to Hunt' in Texas constitution - 12/19/14 11:59 PM

While the constitutional right is nice...

Quote:
“The people have the right to hunt, fish, and harvest wildlife, including by the use of traditional methods, subject to laws or regulations to conserve and manage wildlife and preserve the future of hunting and fishing. Hunting and fishing are preferred methods of managing and controlling wildlife.”

it seems that the text is rather self-defeating, especially in the face of...
Quote:

"The right to hunt and fish has recently come into question by several national anti-hunting and animal welfare organizations. Efforts to limit methods, seasons, and bag limits are constantly being pushed by these type advocacy groups," Ashby wrote.

So they make it a constitutional right, but that won't stop seasons and bag limits from being reduced because those are simply part of the laws and regulations set to conserve and manage wildlife.

In short, making it a state constitutional right really won't change anything legally as it won't protect the right from the restraints that can be and are legally applied.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum