Texas Hunting Forum

How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear?

Posted By: offinthewoods

How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 04:58 AM

I run the washer a with just water then the next cycle pour a box of baking soda and let it wash in Warm/Cold.

Dry usually hang dry but can take for ever..

How does every one do the steps.
Posted By: Curly

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 05:38 AM

I mostly hunt in a box blind so pretty much just regular.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 06:37 AM

Straight in to the washer with the rest of my jeans and work shirts. Then to the dryer and on hangers. up
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 11:01 AM

I don't worry about it. I personally believe that I had better be downwind from an animal. I tried packing my clothes in a bag with cedar branches. That taught me that I was allergic to cedar.

However, I have a friend that has bow hunted every continent. He always showers with no scent soap before going hunting. He says it works for him but, like a lot of rich guys, he is pretty extreme.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 11:58 AM

Wife uses Scent Killer w/no U.V. Brighteners in lukewarm water. After drying place in bag.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 12:00 PM

Wife uses Scent Killer w/no U.V. Brighteners in lukewarm water. After drying place in bag.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 12:24 PM

I just wash them in the regular laundry. I have been spraying them down with some scent killer the night before though. Probably doesn't matter considering my blind is 100 yards from the feeder.
Posted By: lawndart956

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 01:26 PM

I normally use a sent free soap for all my clothes and never thought much of it. One day the wife got some new stuff and was a very noticeable sent. I went bow hunting that morning and noticed that every deer that got in my wind freaked out. I never make any effort to cover my sent but they did not like that detergent at all. Use sent free detergent and hunt the wind...and stay away from beans and cabbage the night before.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 01:59 PM

I throw them in a pile, somewhere, and a couple days later, they're clean and hanging in the closet. It's like magic.
Posted By: Flags

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 02:04 PM

I use water. I find they come out cleaner that way! grin
Posted By: rockinrdranch

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 02:08 PM

I have been washing clothes in scent free soap, showering before every hunt, packing clothes with cedar branches as well as mixing crushed cedar with distilled water to create my own cover scent. Extreme ? Maybe. But I like hunting thick cover close to bedding areas, so, I'll take any advantage I can get.
Posted By: BadLander

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 02:55 PM

Baking soda, baking soda , baking soda
Posted By: Navasot

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 03:00 PM

I wash them with some type of sent killer detergent but other than that just like regular clothes
Posted By: wetduck

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/13/14 11:57 PM

pants = dry clean heavy starch
shirts= med starch
Posted By: 240z

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/14/14 12:46 AM

Wash and dry like normal except no fabric softener, after drying store in empty deer corn bag.
Posted By: maximum

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/14/14 02:57 AM

sport wash
works really well. no uv brighteners. gets
any blood out really well. no scent. really
good on fleece and down and won't make down
clump up.
all of astko sno seal stuff works really well
Posted By: Fishercounty

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/14/14 07:56 AM

I do the whole nine, even use mesquite scented wipes... For my hands.
Posted By: Fishercounty

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/14/14 07:59 AM

But seriously I use the scent free detergent, hang dry, store in rubbermaid totes. Still play the wind.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/14/14 08:46 AM

Arm&Hammer Perfume & Dye Free laundry detergent.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/14/14 06:13 PM

After being pointed to it by others on these forums, I wash'em in normal brands of scent-free detergent that costs a lot less than the speciality stuff.
Posted By: SlaminEm

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/14/14 06:36 PM

i use scent away detergent works well been using it for years
Posted By: BrianMc

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/14/14 10:54 PM

We use scent free detergent due to some allergies, so I wash everything together. During tree-stand season (i.e. archery), I'll throw everything in the jumbo ziplock bags and spray everything down with no-scent spray. During blind season (i.e. gun), I just throw everything in big tupperware bins.
Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/15/14 01:17 AM

I used to use Hunters Specialties scent free detergent and had mixed results. I went to academy one day and they were out, plus they had a deal on some Dead Down Wind wash. Guys and Gals, I'm here to tell ya, THIS STUFF WORKS!! I had an old buck I've had problems with before come from straight down wind of me and stop 7 yards away and never wind me. was wearing the same camo i always wear, nothing changed except the wash detergent. I'm sold on it!!
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/15/14 07:43 PM

Plastic storage container, fill half with water. dump in Borax and Baking Soda, mix and add clothes. Swirl and scrub off any dirt or if there is blood use hydrogen peroxide. Hang dry on the clothes line.

I have washed camo clothes in the machine washer but I prefer doing it by hand, more gentle and don't get any soap residue on the clothes.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/15/14 08:16 PM

i fart a lot, so it realy makes no differance flag
Posted By: DH 1

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/15/14 09:15 PM

Wait for the wife to wash bras and panties...Throw em in the load...no problem wife
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: How do Yall wash your Hunting Gear? - 12/16/14 12:13 AM

Washing machine with Tide and then into the dryer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum