Texas Hunting Forum

Out of state hunting license requirements

Posted By: doogie

Out of state hunting license requirements - 12/07/14 12:04 AM

I have a cousin who lives out of state and wants to come hunt my property.

1. does he need hunter ed course even if only hunting exotics(he is age 27)

2. I see Texas offers a 5 day license for exotics. Will hunt Ed be required for this?

Thanks
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Out of state hunting license requirements - 12/07/14 12:14 AM

1) He'll need hunter's ed. He can get a one-time Hunter's Ed Deferral (#166 $10.00)

2) TX offers a non-resident 5-day special hunting license for "non-game" animals that includes pigs (#157 $48.00) he can purchase that from home before travelling even. I'm fairly certain that would cover exotics, too, but don't take my word for it.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Out of state hunting license requirements - 12/07/14 03:10 AM

License and hunter ed card. up
Posted By: KG68

Re: Out of state hunting license requirements - 12/07/14 05:00 AM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/hunting-licenses-and-permits
Posted By: therancher

Re: Out of state hunting license requirements - 12/07/14 05:37 AM

FWIW, if your relative is from out of state, I wouldn't trust ANYONE'S advise on hunting requirements. I would click the link provided by one poster and read and understand everything first hand from TPWD.

Why? Because once you cross state lines with game killed in ANY state, you then come under Lacy Act jurisdiction. Want a good scare? Google Lacy Act violations and see what can happen if you don't fill out a tag correctly, or sign the wrong part... or ANY minute violation.

For the tiniest infraction the feds can use the Lacy Act to fine you, the rancher, the outfitter, and guide (virtually everyone involved in the hunt) up to $500,000.00 and imprison you for 10 years.

I don't take peoples' word for stuff that serious.
Posted By: Fishercounty

Re: Out of state hunting license requirements - 12/07/14 06:17 AM

If you have your hunters Ed he can hunt with you. Special 5 day hunting license. Just have it processed here and ship it to him.
Posted By: Fishercounty

Re: Out of state hunting license requirements - 12/07/14 06:20 AM

Never mind he's 27 needs his Ed
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum