Texas Hunting Forum

New to Del Rio

Posted By: stevewhite0745

New to Del Rio - 11/26/14 10:55 PM

Hey Everyone,

Just got notified of my next assignment. We will be heading to Laughlin AFB. I've already read up on a lot of the public land around the base area. I was just wondering how tough it would be to find some hog hunting or deer hunting around the area. Do landowners allow hunters to go hunting usually? I would assume that most folks would ask for trespass fee's.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 12:21 AM

welcome Good luck on your search.
Posted By: Kobus

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 12:25 AM

X2.
I live in Del Rio, where I live on the north side of town there are deer everywhere. I had a nice ten point in my yard when I moved here a year ago!

Also there are some axis around here.
Good luck on your search and welcome to town! smile
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 12:37 AM

Never seen a hog but lots of Javelinas.

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Kobus
X2.
I live in Del Rio, where I live on the north side of town there are deer everywhere. I had a nice ten point in my yard when I moved here a year ago!

Awesome, cant wait to get there and get in the woods. How do you like living in Del Rio?
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 02:47 AM

Disregard my post. For whatever reason I was thinking of Sanderson.
Posted By: DH 1

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 02:55 AM

I have a ranch 20+ miles North of Del Rio. Deer hunting, Exotics, Turkeys, Doves and Quail are all good. There is public hunting (walk-in) near Lake Amistad...a few miles North of town. Asking permission will not be a happy option for you. Almost all hunting in Texas is done by leasing or ownership. Except for "Day Hunting" operations
that vary from rip-offs to VERY expensive, your best bet is to try the public hunting route first; then make some friends locally.
The town has some fantastic restaurants and it was even better before the drug problem practically closed down Acuna (The Mexican side across the Rio Grande).
Welcome to Texas and good luck! rifle
FWIW, I have never seen a Javelina anywhere near my place and I damn sure don't want any wild hogs.

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 04:03 AM

Ok, sounds good. I have read a lot about Amistad. Does it get shot up pretty bad in there or is it possible to find some good hunting? This is gonna be a new game for me, I am coming from 4 years in Anchorage AK where there is almost zero private land.
Posted By: C3 guide

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 05:37 AM

Good luck, however if you ever want to day hunt hogs I have a ranch north of the lake you can gladly come shoot hogs at no fee. Also may have a exotic doe or two that we could trade out for a days worth of work filling feeders and work on the ranch house. Please feel free to pm me for more info
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 06:32 AM

welcome to THF and thank you for your service.
Posted By: Kobus

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 06:42 AM

Originally Posted By: stevewhite0745
Originally Posted By: Kobus
X2.

Awesome, cant wait to get there and get in the woods. How do you like living in Del Rio?

It's fine for me! I feel safe here.
Not much for an 18 yo college student to do here since 99% of my friends are back at Schreiner in Kerrville.
Dining is decent, they opened up a new steakhouse up here that is awesome! smile
Also if you have an itchy bass fishing finger, Lake Amistad will treat you well.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 10:22 AM

welcome
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: DH 1
I have a ranch 20+ miles North of Del Rio. Deer hunting, Exotics, Turkeys, Doves and Quail are all good. There is public hunting (walk-in) near Lake Amistad...a few miles North of town. Asking permission will not be a happy option for you. Almost all hunting in Texas is done by leasing or ownership. Except for "Day Hunting" operations
that vary from rip-offs to VERY expensive, your best bet is to try the public hunting route first; then make some friends locally.
The town has some fantastic restaurants and it was even better before the drug problem practically closed down Acuna (The Mexican side across the Rio Grande).
Welcome to Texas and good luck! rifle
FWIW, I have never seen a Javelina anywhere near my place and I damn sure don't want any wild hogs.
hogs are like termites..you either have them or you are going to GET THEM
Posted By: trapperben

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 01:28 PM

Steve, read DH 1's post again. Public hunting is poor to bad in Texas. The state offers an annual public hunting permit with some access for 48.00 but I do not know what there is in your area. There is a link to their map here and in the public hunting section.

That offer from C3 was pretty gracious and I would jump on it if I were you.

You should also look through the outfitter, exotic and lease threads to get a better idea of what is available. You are going to miss Alaska hunting though I doubt you will miss the winters.

Re: New to Del Rio - 11/27/14 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: C3 guide
Good luck, however if you ever want to day hunt hogs I have a ranch north of the lake you can gladly come shoot hogs at no fee. Also may have a exotic doe or two that we could trade out for a days worth of work filling feeders and work on the ranch house. Please feel free to pm me for more info

Sounds like a hell of a deal! I will work for hunting anytime. PM is on its way.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum