Texas Hunting Forum

18 wheeler for deer camp?

Posted By: tlk

18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 10:17 PM

I have a chance to buy a 45 foot 18 wheeler trailer for deer camp. It has insulated walls, floor, window air unit, washer and dryer, kitchen area, etc. No windows. Has anyone used one of these before and is there any downside to them? I am currently in a travel trailer that is not bad but this would have more room. Thanks
Posted By: Western

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 10:25 PM

Sounds better, but it would be up to you and what it's worth. Cant be less than a tt I wouldn't think, heck, you can do laundry! Extra room is always nice and the tt could still be used.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 10:29 PM

Need a semi to move it. Be careful they leak like anything else.
Posted By: swmays

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 10:30 PM

What is the roof like. Rain can also be a bit noisy. I had two on a place of mine for storage and they were kind of noisy in the wind. Insulation, wall covering and walls would tend to brace and dampen it though. 2cents
Posted By: swmays

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 10:32 PM

A large wrecker can move them. With or without the wheels...

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 10:35 PM

What about pulling the wheels and laying it on cross ties in a final position? Wonder if that would make it more stable?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 10:56 PM

I would compare the price to used mobile homes. It used to be easy to find them, but now with the oil activity out west they are in short supply.

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 10:58 PM

this one is only $3000 - an semi can move it for me. It has the leveling on it

I do need to check on the roof to make sure it does not leak.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 11:11 PM

I'd say that's a good deal. Only other thing is you usually have to have stairs to get in one.

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I'd say that's a good deal. Only other thing is you usually have to have stairs to get in one.

I agree, 3k and finished out!
Posted By: BadLander

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 11:13 PM

I used to sell semi trailer repair ! I don't have pictures but we built one for my Boss! It was a 48'with the refrigeration unit still on the front which we boxed off and turned into cold locker for our deer ,We put a side door rather than use the rear doors and put windows .but it has been in use for 10 yrs ! Your only issue is where your camp is on your lease for delivery! Salvation Army leather couches fold up beds! And your in business! I'll search for some pics!

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 11:30 PM

here are couple of pics - I would take all the bunk beds out and put a bedroom at one end and use the rest for a living room area - not fancy but could be fixed up

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 11:42 PM

Not fancy? There's over 3k of work already done! Looks fancy for deer camp up
Posted By: 7mag

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/18/14 11:47 PM

Buddy had two of them and made them into camps. Pretty nice. One thing you need to watch is water lines. Elevated and he had them burst about every other week. Even with insulation and such.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/19/14 12:17 AM

Visited a place that had three, backed up to each other, with a common area covered between them. One was storage, the other two were living quarters, it was pretty sweet; Refer trailers seem to be much better insulated and a little stiffer from what I hear.

Redneck_Mesiah on here is the source for info on this stuff

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/19/14 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Visited a place that had three, backed up to each other, with a common area covered between them. One was storage, the other two were living quarters, it was pretty sweet; Refer trailers seem to be much better insulated and a little stiffer from what I hear.

appreciate it - I will check with him - this one is totally insulated

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/19/14 12:34 AM

Come to think of it, I was in a camp just as you describe, a corp lease by Lake EV Spence at Robert Lee. Tha one also was nice.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/19/14 02:51 PM

Is this and 18-wheeler trailer or a shipping container?
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/19/14 03:09 PM

That is awesome
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/19/14 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

Come to think of it, I was in a camp just as you describe, a corp lease by Lake EV Spence at Robert Lee. Tha one also was nice.

Was it south on 208 and back west of the highway?

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/19/14 04:46 PM

Vernon, it was on the S side of the lake, just past a old church on cr 158, believe it was close to a state park but it backed up right on the lake as well. Was a pretty decent sized lease and had a great general ,bs'n, eating area covered between the 2 trailers. also had addition trailers with bunks off to the side.

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/19/14 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Is this and 18-wheeler trailer or a shipping container?

18 wheeler trailer
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/20/14 12:31 AM

I have one that was on my place when I bought it. It is nothing like what your pics show. It was wired and insulated. The rumor is that two owners ago they cooked meth in it. I use it to store corn and protein. It doesn't leak at all.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/22/14 07:56 PM

WINDOWS? I got to be able to see out somewhere.....
Posted By: n-all

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/22/14 10:47 PM

Thats a good deal..
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/23/14 01:50 AM

go for it, reefer's are the best, but no matter if its not, I would definitely take the axles out from under. pm me for roof idea
Posted By: HCGedge3

Re: 18 wheeler for deer camp? - 11/25/14 12:52 AM

Looks good !
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum