Texas Hunting Forum

Elk in Coleman County

Posted By: sansabahntr

Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 12:22 AM

My dad has a place in Voss, my brother was down ther this weekend and saw 2 cow elk on the place. Could not get a shot, hopefully they will be around when I get there this weekend. anybody else se elk in that area?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 12:26 AM

We saw one in southeastern Taylor county, but that was years ago, last I heard someone shot him.
Posted By: doogie

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 12:55 AM

It's fun to see them
We have seen a dozen on my place this year
We only shoot the bulls hoping that neighbors will do the same and let the heard get larger
I Know not a native species so can't blame people who shoot everyone they see
We see many more on trail cam than we ever see in person
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 02:49 AM

I see em all the time! Unfortunately, there behind a high fence off 206.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 03:06 AM

How's that work? You need a tag?
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Bullfrog

I thought so too? Texas does have native elk...
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 03:34 AM

No tag. They are considered an exotic in Texas

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: HornSlayer
I see em all the time! Unfortunately, there behind a high fence off 206.

Right by the river? Last year they had 3 monsters in there
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 05:27 AM

So basically if I see something out of the ordinary walk in front of me while I'm in the stand, it's an exotic and I can take it? Exotic being a non native animal that someone raised and it got loose or something?

What if it has a tag in its ear? I would think unethical but legal? I know the chances of that happening to me are slim to none so I never gave it much thought

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 05:44 AM

So basically if I see something out of the ordinary walk in front of me while I'm in the stand, it's an exotic and I can take it? Exotic being a non native animal that someone raised and it got loose or something?

What if it has a tag in its ear? I would think unethical but legal? I know the chances of that happening to me are slim to none so I never gave it much thought

Most exotics are free game. If it has a tag in its ear, the owner can take it from you but it is civil, not criminal from my understanding. No tag or marking and it is free game.

We have killed fallow, elk, audoud, Sitka, and have seen oryx, axis, blackbuck and I am sure some I am forgetting.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 01:34 PM

Simple easy law.

1) must have land owner permission first
2)if original owner can prove it was theirs you will loose procession.

First one is way more important then the second. With that said make sure the exotic you are shooting doesn't require CITE tags!!!!
Posted By: DCtheRev

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 03:52 PM

had a lady kill a Sable buck in the back of my neighborhood. It was eating from her "deer watching" feeder and she wasn't sure what it was so she shot it. It was a monster!!
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 07:51 PM

we had some black buck show up at the ranch... PUMPED!
Posted By: Western

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/18/14 10:18 PM

I'm waiting on BOBO to stock his place with Elk! Cant wait to go chute one (after we fix his down fences)

Dove hunted Coleman this year, had no idea there where that any "exotics" around?
Posted By: sansabahntr

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/19/14 12:38 AM

We have seen a few axis deer on the place but this is the first time for elk. Hopefully I will see one this weekend
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/19/14 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

First one is way more important then the second. With that said make sure the exotic you are shooting doesn't require CITE tags!!!!

up
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/20/14 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: catslayer
we had some black buck show up at the ranch... PUMPED!

Oh, so close.........
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 11/21/14 05:46 PM

A friend had a free roaming big bull elk on his ranch for a year. It would hit his deer feeder twice a day and scare off the deer. He called the place down the road that had elk (and other exotics) and told them one of their elk was loose. He called a half dozen times and the ranch manager kept saying it wasn't their elk. No tags or brands or any markings on it. So after year of it roaming free, he shot it. Pictures went around and one got back to the ranch owner. He got mad and pressed the county DA to threaten to throw the hunter in jail for a week. They agreed to turn over the cape and antlers to the exotic ranch owner and the hunter could keep the meat and no jail time. He could have fought it, but couldn't afford to go to jail instead of going to work. Rich land owner beat the poor land owner by pressing the DA. If the elk had been hit on the highway, I guarantee the exotic ranch owner would have denied that it was his animal.
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: Elk in Coleman County - 12/12/14 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
A friend had a free roaming big bull elk on his ranch for a year. It would hit his deer feeder twice a day and scare off the deer. He called the place down the road that had elk (and other exotics) and told them one of their elk was loose. He called a half dozen times and the ranch manager kept saying it wasn't their elk. No tags or brands or any markings on it. So after year of it roaming free, he shot it. Pictures went around and one got back to the ranch owner. He got mad and pressed the county DA to threaten to throw the hunter in jail for a week. They agreed to turn over the cape and antlers to the exotic ranch owner and the hunter could keep the meat and no jail time. He could have fought it, but couldn't afford to go to jail instead of going to work. Rich land owner beat the poor land owner by pressing the DA. If the elk had been hit on the highway, I guarantee the exotic ranch owner would have denied that it was his animal.

Not sure what they would be speaking with the DA about. Nothing criminal about killing an animal on your property if it is free ranging. like someone said earlier it could possibly be a civil issue if the "owner" of the elk pressed it (even harder to prove since multiple calls were made and mgr said it wasn't theirs), but certainly not anything criminal that he would see jail for.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum