Texas Hunting Forum

Found hawk or falcon dead in road

Posted By: Sand_Fly

Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/16/14 06:55 PM

Looks to be a red tailed hawk that I found in the middle of the road. Don't know what happened to it but I couldn't leave it there to be run over so I picked it up. I know it's illegal to have one so what can I do with it? Report it and give it to TPWD?
Posted By: Western

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/16/14 06:57 PM

Leave it on the side of the road....
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/16/14 06:57 PM

Game Warden should have a list of rehabilitation centers. Contact him/her.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/16/14 07:04 PM

Lol!! They must be gettin good at those rehab centers
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/16/14 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

rofl
Posted By: Justin T

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/16/14 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Game Warden should have a list of rehabilitation centers. Contact him/her.

Zombie bird?
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/16/14 07:16 PM

lol35

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/16/14 07:35 PM

I want one of what Erath's drink'n today grin cheers

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/16/14 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
cheers he's been holding out on us

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/16/14 09:58 PM

Right! he could at least make a fake offer. Maybe he had another kind of "rehab" in mind??
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/16/14 10:00 PM

Sell it to an Injun to make a war bonnet.

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/16/14 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate

I know that meant is a "pun"

For the younger ones that may not know, it would be illegal under the Migratory Bird treaty act, if it is a Red-tailed hawk to even posses a feather or any part of the bird.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/16/14 11:54 PM

For the younger ones that may not know, it would be illegal under the Migratory Bird treaty act, if it is a Red-tailed hawk to even posses a feather or any part of the bird.

Yes, you are correct and I hope my tongue-in-cheek comment was not taken seriously.

After some reconsideration it would probably be best to hang a "Get Well Soon" balloon on it's carcass and leave it on the roadside.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/17/14 12:49 AM

Why would you want to pick up a road kill hawk?
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/17/14 01:49 AM

I think he found it alive
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/17/14 01:50 AM

Nevermind. Saw title

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/17/14 03:37 AM

Drinkin', who said anything about drinkin'? nuts

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/17/14 03:38 AM

I kid, I kid.....Mostly lizard

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/17/14 03:44 AM

Note to self. Thoroughly read and comprehend before commenting on a post...I apologize. I'll try to do better in the future, y'all, I promise.
Posted By: hermano W

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/17/14 05:15 PM

I agree with the "why pick up a dead chicken hawk?" post. Because of the dumb federal protection they now enjoy, hawks have become so over-populated they seek urban areas and roadways to scavenge a meal. If he's in the middle of the road, it's because he was hit by a vehicle. We are required to leave him alone...
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/17/14 07:46 PM

Put it in the mouth of one of those giant lawn ornament chickens and leave it there next to the road.

Yes, you are correct and I hope my tongue-in-cheek comment was not taken seriously.

After some reconsideration it would probably be best to hang a "Get Well Soon" balloon on it's carcass and leave it on the roadside.
Posted By: Someone

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/25/14 10:58 AM

I was under the impression that Native Americans could possess such items

on Deadliest Catch Keith and crew on The Wizard pull up next to a dead walrus floating and since Lenny is Native they are allowed to posses Ivory and other walrus parts

they try roping it and can't get it and crazy Freddy strips down to his underwear and jumps in the ocean and climbs on it and ropes it and they pull it aboard and sawzall off the tusk and pull out the whiskers because Lenny thinks his sister can use those for some art as well
Posted By: bp3

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/25/14 07:51 PM

Who said that you have to be a bubble off to work on a crab boat. hammer
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/25/14 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: hermano W
I agree with the "why pick up a dead chicken hawk?" post. Because of the dumb federal protection they now enjoy, hawks have become so over-populated they seek urban areas and roadways to scavenge a meal. If he's in the middle of the road, it's because he was hit by a vehicle. We are required to leave him alone...
I have NEVER seen a hawk scavenging, probably was fixated on a rodent and got hit., they help control rodents just like snakes.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/25/14 08:51 PM

I have NEVER seen a hawk scavenge, they help keep rodent population in check just like snakes. mother nature takes care of over population most of the time.

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/25/14 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
I have NEVER seen a hawk scavenge, they help keep rodent population in check just like snakes. mother nature takes care of over population most of the time.

Crazy how that works right.. see eagles do it all the time
Posted By: therancher

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/25/14 09:27 PM

Have seen many red tailed hawks scavange. Well, unless they killed 200# hogs and such...

And yes, indians can possess hawk and eagle feathers. But I think they have to follow some pretty strict protocol to obtain them.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/26/14 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Why would you want to pick up a road kill hawk?

Seriously. Wtf is wrong with people. Sorry to the op but he's already dead, probably hit by a car since he's in the road. Dont think he cares if he gets run over again.

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/26/14 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: therancher
Have seen many red tailed hawks scavange. Well, unless they killed 200# hogs and such...

And yes, indians can possess hawk and eagle feathers. But I think they have to follow some pretty strict protocol to obtain them.

It could happen
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Found hawk or falcon dead in road - 11/26/14 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45

I've seen hawks scavenge wounded or dead ducks and doves many, many times. A couple spots I hunted this year had sharp shins that would take a dove or a pigeon tossed on the ground.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum