Texas Hunting Forum

Heater in stand??

Posted By: txhunter1010

Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 02:08 AM

I dont ever use one but my son has started hunting with me.. He is 4 so I wanna make it comfy for him.. What heater do y'all use, recomend, etc
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 02:13 AM

I always used the cheapo WalMart unit that will screw on the top of a disposable propane bottle. You'll want to crack a window for ventilation, but the heater will get so hot so quick that you'll need to open a window for cooling anyway.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 02:23 AM

Mr. Heater Buddy Heater 80 bucks well spent !
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 02:23 AM

Mr buddy! Easy to start and heat up really well. They have a nice face cover perfect to set our pop tarts on for a warm breakfast.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 02:31 AM

Ill check them out.. Thanks
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Definitely THIS. Best thing in my blinds. (Other than my thermacell during skeeter season)
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 02:40 AM

Mr. Heater Portable Buddy.
Posted By: Combine Kid

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 02:53 AM

Buddy heater, but get the adapter and hook up the 20# bottle. I got tired of toting the littlle bottles to and from the stand.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 03:53 AM

Another vote for Mr buddy. They have a low oxygen sensor that will auto shut off. Also has a sensor to auto shut down if tipped over. One of the safest heaters on the market. I own 3 of them.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 04:05 AM

I use a little Dearborn in the AM so I don't get red face and lighting up the stand even though in 200 + to each feed pen, and a little buddy in the afternoons that don't glow the face up

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 06:42 AM

Dang, Scooter. That blind is move-in ready. No mouse chit and looks like you could eat off the floor. I'm impressed up
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 08:54 AM

Really nice. Heck you could live there.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 11:23 AM

Might need to get me a Mr. Heater Buddy, my daughter might come out this weekend.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
I use a little Dearborn in the AM so I don't get red face and lighting up the stand even though in 200 + to each feed pen, and a little buddy in the afternoons that don't glow the face up

Dang Sniper, you have enough room for a fold down cot in that stand!!!
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 12:02 PM

I like tose screw on Coleman heaters. Fast and efficient! Been thinking about getting a Coleman camp stove 5438. That would both heat and make coffee! I used one of those on a MC trip to cook.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 12:33 PM

I have a mr heater as shown above and two little buddy heaters made by the same company. They all have low oxygen shut offs and tilt shut offs. The little buddy runs 5-6 hours on a bottle and heats two of my better built stands very well. The bigger heater sucks down the propane and as mentioned above I got the hose to put it on the big bottle.
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 02:29 PM

Little Buddy heater. Keeps me nice and warm.

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 03:01 PM

Ain't no reason to be uncomfortable roflmao
I like to shoot barefoot, it's a mental thing

confused2
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 03:28 PM

Sitting in the deer stand, barefoot & wearing long underwear ....Welcome to Deer Hunting in Texas.... banana
Ron
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Combine Kid
Buddy heater, but get the adapter and hook up the 20# bottle. I got tired of toting the littlle bottles to and from the stand.

This. My buddy heater keeps my 8'x7'x4' box nice and toasty.
Posted By: aggielandman

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 04:21 PM

Heater sure would come in handy this week!
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 04:23 PM

Mr. Buddy for the wife, but I have a SportCat from Coleman
Posted By: Western

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 04:26 PM

Another vote for Buddy, I have an 8x8 blind and it sure takes the chill out, use the low setting most of the time, but high setting will get it done.
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 05:50 PM

mr buddy. when I get to hot, I just turn it down to the pilot
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 06:14 PM

We have the Deerborn bathroom heaters like RAB has hooked up to 5 gal bottles on the ground.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Sitting in the deer stand, barefoot & wearing long underwear ....Welcome to Deer Hunting in Texas.... banana
Ron

cowboy i been known ta wear panty-hose. scratch sometimes they prevent my spurs from jingle, gangleing flag

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Texasrebel649
Little Buddy heater. Keeps me nice and warm.

rofl that just sounds funny flag

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 06:41 PM

scratch note ta self: don't start on last page. Read original post first. flag

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 06:53 PM

My apolagies. it went ta last page. we always dressed the kids warm, acording ta weather. that age they gonna move around alittle. they'll let ya know if they getting too cold, face gets red, nose start ta run. they getting cold. best wishes & enjoy time spent flag
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/12/14 07:28 PM

Little buddy looks like this.

Yep, I'm all in camo in a box blind. Warmest stuff I got.
Posted By: Roach Painting Co.

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/13/14 12:58 AM

I've always used the one you screw into a propane bottle. Never had any issues.
Posted By: 10 point

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/13/14 03:15 AM

Keep him warm at that age he could lose interest real quick if he is miserable think how we feel when it is real cold and we are miserable he can't tough it out like we can!
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/13/14 05:32 AM

Whatcha got blacked out there Rab? Lol
Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/13/14 05:36 AM

Mr Buddy. Had mine for at least 5 years. Starts right up every year and keeps it toasty. Last weekend I was in jeans and a sweater with the heater going. It was in the high 30's
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/13/14 01:38 PM

If you run one of the bbq tanks on the buddy heater, you're supposed to have a filter on it. Apparently, you're also supposed to replace that filter once a year. If you haven't, go buy one now. I just now had my filter let loose, heard a pop, and everything got real bright. Had fire coming out the inlet junction on the tank. Fortunately, I have cat-like reflexes, so I immediately soiled myself, kicked the heater, screamed expletives like a young female seaman, and then thought to turn off the gas.

This is after several years of having one of these in my blind. Originally I was told that the unit would simply fail to light when the filter got clogged and needed replacement. Cheap insurance against a cold morning of open flamed excitement.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/13/14 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie
If you run one of the bbq tanks on the buddy heater, you're supposed to have a filter on it. Apparently, you're also supposed to replace that filter once a year. If you haven't, go buy one now. I just now had my filter let loose, heard a pop, and everything got real bright. Had fire coming out the inlet junction on the tank. Fortunately, I have cat-like reflexes, so I immediately soiled myself, kicked the heater, screamed expletives like a young female seaman, and then thought to turn off the gas.

This is after several years of having one of these in my blind. Originally I was told that the unit would simply fail to light when the filter got clogged and needed replacement. Cheap insurance against a cold morning of open flamed excitement.

I woulda paid to watch that. Glad you're ok.

I'm on the fence about heaters. I've never used one, but believe in keeping the little folks comfortable. I'm sure when (and if, I'm trying not to push too hard) my grandson is ready to sit, I'll have him bundled up like the Pillsbury dough boy and the Mr. Heater glowing.

My parents sent me out on my first Boy Scout campout with my Sears Junior sleeping bag. I stuck out of it about a foot and a half. We got the Polar Bear award that weekend - got down to 13 degrees. Most miserable night of my life. Still like camping though.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/13/14 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Thanks for this info. I ran mine all of last year with the filter and one of the large BBQ tanks and did not know I should replace the filter. up

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/13/14 08:09 PM

Thats good advice...
I am always concerned about fresh air

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/13/14 08:13 PM

Can I ask why the filter? Is the gas dirty in those big tanks compared to Coleman tanks?
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/13/14 08:55 PM

I use the little heater that screws on to the 1 lb bottle, Contico brand I think. Paid less than $20 for it. I had the buddy heater but it got stolen! The cheaper one works just fine. Back in the day I used the old school heater - a coffee can, roll of TP and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Just enough heat to keep you comfortable.

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/13/14 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
Can I ask why the filter? Is the gas dirty in those big tanks compared to Coleman tanks?

They can get rust chips/flakes from the inside, what a propane guy told me when making a delivery once.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/14/14 01:05 AM

Coleman it doesn't get as warm as the mr buddy, which works better for me.
Posted By: 8th1

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/14/14 02:40 AM

Doesn't the igniter make a loud snap or popping noise when you turn on the heater? Do or can you use a lighter instead?

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/14/14 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: 8th1
Doesn't the igniter make a loud snap or popping noise when you turn on the heater? Do or can you use a lighter instead?

Biggest draw back to the Mr Buddy and the red glow on your face in the Mngs

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/14/14 05:18 AM

Originally Posted By: 8th1

It should be plenty early to start it up in my opinion. I guess a lighter aint as loud, tho it does still pop
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/14/14 05:45 AM

Yea. Buddy. My best friend. I might forget to load my rifle but I don't forget to bring an extra can of propane.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/14/14 06:33 AM

My Coleman heater just failed. I took two of my Coleman propane lanterns, took out the glass and wrapped them in foil. Plenty of heat, very little, if any light. Hey, I'm the Fred Sanford of THF. Works for me and saves $
Posted By: Texmel

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/15/14 02:33 PM

Mr Heater Buddies are great to break the chill. Sportsman Guide has device to refill the small canisters from larger propane bottle.

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/15/14 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Texmel
Mr Heater Buddies are great to break the chill. Sportsman Guide has device to refill the small canisters from larger propane bottle.

MACCOUPLER EZ Fill
A buck or 2 cheaper here
http://www.amazon.com/Brass-MACCOUPLER-Fill-Propane-Coupler/dp/B005OCZ5R2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacCoupler-EZ-Pr...p-/150953662287
Posted By: crash700

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/17/14 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dawg

My wife agrees 100% !!!
Posted By: Harley7892

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/17/14 02:36 AM

I use the little heater I have to toast a morning sandwich, warm a cup of soup, plus keep the cold off. Nothing to brag about for making one remove his clothes.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Heater in stand?? - 11/17/14 05:46 PM

We use Coleman Blackcat catalytic heaters. They are rather minimalist, but work very well. I spent 6 hours in the stand last night with mid 20s temps. With the windows open and the wind blowing, I can't say I ever got warm, but I wasn't shivering either. On calm nights last winter, I would have to turn it off when things would get too hot in the stand.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum