Texas Hunting Forum

Thieves

Posted By: Deer Hound

Thieves - 11/11/14 05:01 PM

Quick trip to the ranch this past weekend. Leave the airport make a couple stops. Decide to grab a hamburger from Whatabuger on the way thru SAT. we were not in there 15 min kept looking outside to keep a eye on the ranger. Walk outside after getting our food and someone had knock the glass out on the offside of the truck and stole everything we lost 12k worth of hunting gear,laptops,cameras,clothes they cleaned us out in less the 2 minutes when we looked at the parking lot camera's. want to talk about a bad way to start the weekend. Worst part was they got my external hard drive that had all my hunts from the past 15 years and all my ranch history on it. It happened at 3:15 in the afternoon Police would not even come all they would do was issue a case report over the phone and take our info. Want to talk about pissed for a couple days. mad mad mad aim mad
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 05:04 PM

Scumbags everywhere. Sorry about the loss. I always eat in my truck with my gear in there.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 05:06 PM

hanged
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 05:15 PM

Man sorry to hear that. They got guns to I assume
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 05:17 PM

They really target hunting vehicles this time of year. Usually they are gold ones for stuff.
Posted By: banderabound

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 05:18 PM

Dadgum. Which Whataburger? I live right up the street from the one at DeZavala and 10. Hope that wasn't the one!

Sorry that happened to you. Truly sucks.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 05:19 PM

Dang, sorry to hear about that. Hopefully something turns up and you can catch them.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 05:21 PM

Every pickup truck towing an atv is a target. Everyone knows that this means you have a truck full of guns and other expensive goodies.

Places like Cabela's, Bass Pro and Academy are targeted heavily this time of year.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 05:22 PM

Very sorry to hear that. Weird that the cops wouldn't even come, especially if there were guns involved.
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 05:22 PM

Sorry to hear that. About time to put everything in a enclosed trailer. So your truck does't look like your going hunting. I try and hide everything that looks like a hunter in my truck. when we stop for something. corn bags, camo hats, calls, ext. Just a red flag now days. a******
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 05:30 PM

We never, ever leave the truck unattended when we stop. This crap happens too much.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 05:31 PM

Wow that sucks. I never even thought about that. My lab is normally in the back of the truck though she would just lick someone to death. Hopefully it makes them think twice.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Very sorry to hear that. Weird that the cops wouldn't even come, especially if there were guns involved.

There's not a lot if anything a police officer could do at that point. Crooks are long gone. About all they can do is take a report. The breaking into vehicles thing is popular among the tweakers.

Several of these stories pop up this time of year on the THF.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 05:38 PM

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
We never, ever leave the truck unattended when we stop. This crap happens too much.

One of us always stays with the vehicle.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 07:02 PM

I have a blue heeler that thinks my truck is his. up
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 07:08 PM

Sorry to hear that ... serious bummer
Posted By: trash2

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 07:12 PM

That's awful. Sorry to hear that. If you need to borrow anything pm me
Posted By: JKC

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 07:14 PM

Sorry to hear about that, some lowdown people in this world.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 07:37 PM

It's happening a lot in South Texas, always has this time of year. Crooks know what to look for when hunting rigs pull into gas stations, restaurants, etc... Hopefully someone armed will catch one breaking into their vehicle and do society a favor and send a message. Also, the police and other law enforcement officials are so busy dealing with border issues caused by our current administration, they don't have time for actual law enforcement that affects everyday citizens. Seems like this would be an easy sting operation if they did.

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 07:55 PM

We were lucky that we didnt have any guns or bows with us it was more of a scouting and filling feeders weekend. Think it would be pretty easy to sit up a sting and after a few got popped it would get around and they wouldnt be a quick to do it. I'm just glad we had insurance. Looks like they will cover everything but the cash.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 08:03 PM

Sorry to learn of your loss. One would think the cops could come out and check parking lot cameras...maybe get a license plate or something.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: wilhunt
Sorry to learn of your loss. One would think the cops could come out and check parking lot cameras...maybe get a license plate or something.
I came out of the movie theater the other day to a car that had been smashed like the OP. They took a pretty significant stereo system, apparently. Lubbock PD came out and did a full dust on the car. Surprised that for a robbery of 12k they wouldn't show for the OP.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: YellowDog
Sorry to hear that. About time to put everything in a enclosed trailer. So your truck does't look like your going hunting. I try and hide everything that looks like a hunter in my truck. when we stop for something. corn bags, camo hats, calls, ext. Just a red flag now days. a******

Seriously. Just becuas eyou weren't watching it doesn't mean there is no case. What do they think that its okay like the other side of the border now? I would make sure all of those serial number have been turned in…Who knows where those rifle will turn up next.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Deer Hound
We were lucky that we didnt have any guns or bows with us it was more of a scouting and filling feeders weekend. Think it would be pretty easy to sit up a sting and after a few got popped it would get around and they wouldnt be a quick to do it. I'm just glad we had insurance. Looks like they will cover everything but the cash.

O Never mind my last post I just assumed with 12K price tag guns were involved.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: tShawnB
It's happening a lot in South Texas, always has this time of year. Crooks know what to look for when hunting rigs pull into gas stations, restaurants, etc... Hopefully someone armed will catch one breaking into their vehicle and do society a favor and send a message. Also, the police and other law enforcement officials are so busy dealing with border issues caused by our current administration, they don't have time for actual law enforcement that affects everyday citizens. Seems like this would be an easy sting operation if they did.

We've actually set "bait" vehicles in the parking lots of targeted establishments. They can and are productive operations but very intensive in man hours. There's also an element of unknown when dealing with crooks. Crowded parking lots, full of unknowing patrons and families make for risky business.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Thieves - 11/11/14 10:54 PM

Sorry for your loss. Glad nobody got hurt....kinda sorta.
Posted By: trjscout

Re: Thieves - 11/12/14 02:45 AM

12 k what the heck did they take? what city?, what Whataburger? what do we need to be looking out for? how can we help?
Posted By: North2AK

Re: Thieves - 11/12/14 04:07 AM

Tom. Really sorry to hear this. I know the insurance is gonna cover most of $$, but the loss of all of those hunt videos has to be really rough
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Thieves - 11/12/14 04:33 AM

Man, nothing I hate worse than a thief or a liar. Sure wish they would get caught, but seldom hear about it. Another report and another day. They will slip up down the road, but that doesn't do you much good. Insurance is fine and dandy and reduces the sting a little, but damn that sucks.
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Thieves - 11/12/14 05:11 AM

I keep hearing stories like this and it scares the crap out of me. I've started burying my weapons under everything in the back of the SUV. Everything would have to be unloaded to get to them. We also never travel in "hunter clothes". No camo, no work boots, etc. Never carry heads of kills. Nice bucks go to a taxidermist near the ranch, fill out a wildlife resource doc for everything else. Just don't want to ever look like a hunter on the road.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Thieves - 11/12/14 05:34 AM

Hate these bastards. One thing everyone needs to develop and fine tune is SA. Situational Awareness. Scan the parking lots and surroundings. Notices people and vehicles that don't seem right and learn to get a feel for things going south.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Thieves - 11/12/14 06:23 AM

My BIL had his truck 'smashed and grabbed' in front of Denny's on I-35 near New Braunfels, 12:00 lunch break. San Antonio area is full of scumbags, unfortunately, Just like everywhere else.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Thieves - 11/12/14 06:44 AM

I hate thieves!!! I hope they get caught!!!
Posted By: DiverTexas

Re: Thieves - 11/12/14 01:41 PM

Sorry to hear, I can't stand thieves.
Posted By: janie

Re: Thieves - 11/12/14 02:36 PM

Sorry to hear this. Thieves suck.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Thieves - 11/12/14 02:58 PM

Seems ballsy to me to rob someone who is almost guaranteed to be armed....I guess they bet on your guns being in the truck and not on the person. Sorry to hear.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Thieves - 11/12/14 03:02 PM

Truly sorry that honest people have their day ruined by dishonest ones. I never saw where you said which What-a-burger. It would be nice to know in case I get hungry and want to stop for a burger.
Posted By: aggielandman

Re: Thieves - 11/12/14 04:25 PM

I've had cops not want to come for several non emergency incidents. Trespassers, vandalism, and theft on land I own. It's disappointing.
Posted By: cp50948

Re: Thieves - 11/12/14 05:27 PM

Have had people do this to a friend before. Little tip: make sure you right a good description of all fire arm and the serial number on each one. Keep it somewhere safe. If it is ever stolen it is much easier to get them back.
Posted By: Deep Sea

Re: Thieves - 11/16/14 04:52 PM

I was just speaking with a guide friend about this the other day. I have an F350 4 door, an Excursion, and a Jeep. But most of the time when I go hunting I actually take my Volkswagen 4 door car. I have plenty of room for everything (gear, coolers, guns........etc.) it has no stickers (NRA, Ruger.....etc.) and is 12 years old with over 200k. So NOT the hunter vehicle to be a target by anyone. And I get 35 mpg to boot! Now this will not work for everyone, nor will it work for every situation for me, but for most of my travel this is the only way I go.

Re: Thieves - 11/16/14 05:00 PM

I think what got us we were picking up a Ranger crew from the dealership and they figured there were guns in the truck. I know several have commented about trying to lay low. But I dont feel like I should have to hide what Im doing or where im at. There are just some low life's out there that need to go away. If they knew they had more to risk by doing something stupid you would think about it more. There were no stickers and we were not wear any camo other then a ball cap.
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Thieves - 11/16/14 05:16 PM

Had a similar experiance but gun was taken out of my own hiome one weekend while having a bunch of guys at house. Luckily 2 1/2 years later it shows up in a pawn shop and after the detective finished his report I got my gun back. Since Ive done little things to ALL mt firearms that unquestionably make sure thier mine such as a branding initials into stocks. Got some high dollar guns but no "collectables"
Posted By: Deep Sea

Re: Thieves - 11/18/14 03:02 PM

I understand what you mean about not needing to hide, I don't intentionally do it or feel I need to hide. I started driving VW's when gas got super expensive and found I like them and love the mileage. Not being a target is just a perk. But if one of them makes a mistake and confuses me with a victim, well their family has my condolences.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum