Texas Hunting Forum

So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today

Posted By: joeycoates

So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 01:54 AM

This evening my best friend and I took off for our stands in East Texas (Cherokee county) at about 3:00 this afternoon. So I get to my stand first as his is about 2.2 miles further away then mine and after getting set up he sends me a text at 3:15. "Dude I just got blind sided by a buck he jumped into my 4 wheeler. Kicked me on side of my head." Needless to say we exchanged a few more texts after that.

So anyways he tells me later that he was driving down the dirt redtop to his stand at about 20-25mph on his 2010 Polaris 500. He was just passing an old clear cut which has kind of started to grow back over when he see's a flash to his left and next thing he knew he was going off backwards, then on the ground rolling with a sore left cheek and shoulder as his 4 wheeler drove off into a field eventually stopping about 40 yards away. He didn't even have a chance to really see what it was much less try to avoid it before the impact, he just remembers grey and then both of them flying [censored] over teakettle. So he is sitting on the ground and looks around to see about a 1.5 years old spike about 20 feet away trying to get to its feet. It eventually stood, wobbled around and then fell back over again. He watched it do this a few more times before the spike was finally able to shake it off and wander off into the woods, I would bet that it was about as shocked as my buddy was. My buddy was then able to stand up and knock some of the dirt off before charlie miking on out to his stand.

When we got back to the farm house (saw absolutely nothing) his left cheek is swollen and he has a red mark a little below his left eye, I guess from a hoof. He is ok if a bit sore, and I will never let him live this down. He is the kind of guy that odd stuff just seeks out like a sidewinder after a hot spot. I am sure it scared the crap right out of him so there is probably a reason he didn't see anything.... grin

So, anyone else ever been knocked off of their atv?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 01:57 AM

I bet he filled his drawers up flush I have almost hit a deer or more of had a deer run into a UTV.
Posted By: DENTPUSHA

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 02:11 AM

Sounds like something I'd say if I had too many and ran off road. Glad he's ok
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 02:32 AM

Almost hit one in my bassboat, but never on a 4 wheeler.
Posted By: Mambajeep

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 02:34 AM

lol35
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 02:38 AM

LOL!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 03:01 AM

bang
Posted By: passthru

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 03:15 AM

Were y'all drinking before the hunt? confused2
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 03:29 AM

cool story
Posted By: aerangis

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 03:52 AM

Given the circumstances, I would have dropped that spike with a shot to the BC.

Unless alcohol was a factor.....
Posted By: cameron00

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 03:56 AM

When I was in high school a doe smashed into me while I was riding my bike at night to a friend's house. Never saw it coming, had headphones in.

BOOM!

I wasn't quite knocked out, but close. A car coming up behind me saw the whole thing and helped me up and told me what happened. I had deer hair in my bike gears, but the doe got up and ran off, apparently unhurt.

I was hurt. And embarrassed.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 04:48 AM

my pard that slinger fast draw, hit deer or vise vursa while going down gravel road doing bout 60 on motercyle. he had it easy, i totaled out a pickup with mine. we always tried ta out do each other. he does have me out beat, he been shot 3 times, i been stabbed once. flag
Posted By: upsslim

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 02:05 PM

I lost a good friend when a deer hit him in the chest while riding his motorcycle in CO. It jumped out of the ditch and into him. Didn't touch the bike.
Posted By: Jtmeeks

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisB
Almost hit one in my bassboat, but never on a 4 wheeler.

My dad had this happen to!
Posted By: Seadog

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 02:39 PM

Glad he's alright!!!
Posted By: Hollerpoint

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 04:19 PM

I had a hog load up in my Polaris when I tried to cut him off at his hole in the fence.

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: upsslim
I lost a good friend when a deer hit him in the chest while riding his motorcycle in CO. It jumped out of the ditch and into him. Didn't touch the bike.

sorry ta hear that. motorcycles offfer little protection. yet in a motervechile we get fined for not wearing a seatbelt. flag

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 04:37 PM

scratch did ya fix the hole flag
Posted By: joeycoates

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 06:54 PM

I am sorry to hear about your friend on the motorcycle, I ride as well.

No, there was not any alcohol involved at all, I don't even know that we have any at our farm house right now. He is a bit sore today, mostly his left shoulder he landed on. We went down to the big field today where he was heading and he showed me where the spike wiped him out, you can still faintly see the tracks from his Polaris where it went into the field after he got dumped. I can absolutely guarantee that he will think about being knocked off from now on whenever he drives past that particular area. smile

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 07:44 PM

cheers main thing he's alright. accidents happen flag
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 08:05 PM

Leaving Rock Springs this morning and coming down 377 following a group of Bikers and a Axis came flying across the road and the guy that was 3rd or 4th in line caught it dead center and almost split the Axis in half, bike flipped about 6 to 10 times and he was thrown 15-20 feet ..stopped and first on the scene was a Border Patrol Agent and by the looks of the road rash and shallow breathing pretty sure by the facial trauma and swelling his neck was broke and I doubt the gentleman survived..horrible deal

Glad your buddies okay seen one jump a fence and take a hard dart and hit a truck in front of us in the drivers door on our ranch road doing 20 mph
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/09/14 10:37 PM

Ten years from now while sitting in the bar, that will be a 12 point that was out to get him!
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/10/14 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Leaving Rock Springs this morning and coming down 377 following a group of Bikers and a Axis came flying across the road and the guy that was 3rd or 4th in line caught it dead center and almost split the Axis in half, bike flipped about 6 to 10 times and he was thrown 15-20 feet ..stopped and first on the scene was a Border Patrol Agent and by the looks of the road rash and shallow breathing pretty sure by the facial trauma and swelling his neck was broke and I doubt the gentleman survived..horrible deal

Glad your buddies okay seen one jump a fence and take a hard dart and hit a truck in front of us in the drivers door on our ranch road doing 20 mph

eek2
Posted By: janie

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/10/14 01:26 AM

Skateboard's or 18 wheeler's. Deer find us. My sister had one crash into the driver's side of their Blazer. Buck came thru the glass and his antler's made full contact with her head.

She survived. The buck did not.

Glad to hear you bud is gonna be okay.
Posted By: doogie

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/11/14 01:56 AM

speed reading the titles and thought the title of this post read
"So my buddy was knocked up by a spike today"
I thought oh, I need to read this. Then I realized it read
"So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today"
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/11/14 02:27 AM

Jack Daniels has knocked me off three wheelers back in the day and four wheelers not long ago.... cool
Posted By: grins

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/11/14 04:17 AM

I had a deer run into the side of my car about a month ago in The Woodlands... Substantial damage...
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/11/14 05:35 AM

When I was 5, my Mom took me to IGA in Boyd for something small. She whacked a decent 8 pointer in our Honda wagon. All I saw was a rack, then hooves, then thump thump. He abliterated the front end of that car. She was all shook up and all the goober at the store was worried about was how much good meat was left. Them things sure can do some damage. Thank God he didn't jump just a little or I would have worn his arse for a scarf that night! roflmao

Thanks Mom for our "first deer kill" of the family
Posted By: txshntr

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/11/14 05:52 AM

Posted By: txshntr

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/11/14 05:58 AM

Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/12/14 01:50 AM

Daaaang! Tha woulda knocked my breath out! I would've had to take a minute to catch my breath!
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/12/14 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: doogie
speed reading the titles and thought the title of this post read
"So my buddy was knocked up by a spike today"
I thought oh, I need to read this. Then I realized it read
"So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today"

LMAO!!!! rofl
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/12/14 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: DENTPUSHA
Sounds like something I'd say if I had too many and ran off road. Glad he's ok

^
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/12/14 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: joeycoates
...2010 Polaris 500...

What color? I bet it's a camo model! If it were anything other than camo the deer would have seen him.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/12/14 03:03 AM

This happened to me and a friend about 10 years ago. His ATV wouldn't start so we doubled up on mine and went to get a strap and drop off the guns(glad we did). While at camp and being in no hurry we had a few drinks, then around midnight decided to go get his ATV. While hauling butt down a pipe line a doe crossed our path, we t-boned her and she came over the handle bars. We both fell off the back, I landed on top of him and the doe on top of me. The doe began to panic and started trying to get to her feet. I don't know how many times we got stomped on, but she was pissed. We were pretty well beat up bit didn't feel anything thanks to the prior drinking, the ATV was in bad shape and had to be left over night. All 3 headlights were broken, handle bars were bent down into tank and the oil cooler was leaking.
Posted By: TXMachinist

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/12/14 03:53 AM

Almost happened to me opening weekend. Going back to camp after evening hunt and had 4 deer cross the road in front of the atv. The last one decided to turn around and go back the other way. Well when I got to where they crossed I noticed something to my left. The deer was headed at me and turned back and ran along side for 20 yards or so before finally heading back in the woods. I thought I was going to get smacked.
Posted By: aggielandman

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/12/14 04:26 PM

that's hard to believe.
Posted By: TXMachinist

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/13/14 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: aggielandman
that's hard to believe.

What is?

Re: So my buddy was knocked off of his atv by a spike today - 11/13/14 06:42 AM

scratch i remember whin daughter was little. we was driven down de road, stop, stop. screeeetch, what? thar's a turtle in middle of road. ta this day, if trafic not bad, stop & help turtles cross de road flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum