Texas Hunting Forum

best game cam?

Posted By: the rattler

best game cam? - 11/06/14 04:17 PM

What is the best game cam for easy use, set up and longevity?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: best game cam? - 11/06/14 04:18 PM

http://www.chasingame.com/
Posted By: DH 1

Re: best game cam? - 11/20/14 05:52 PM

Primos Truth Cam. Even I can program it and download pictures with no problem. Got it a Wal-Mart.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: best game cam? - 11/20/14 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: DH 1
Primos Truth Cam. Even I can program it and download pictures with no problem. Got it a Wal-Mart.

I agree that this is a fool proof cam, but I question it's sensitivity on anything smaller than a deer. I set one up 9 months ago to monitor varmints and deer on my property, and I have not had one pic of a coon, fox, bobcat or yote. But I find scat and tracks, so I know they are here. My old Bushnell cam it replaced took a lot more pics and it's hung in the exact same spot.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: best game cam? - 11/20/14 07:17 PM

I like my Bushnell Trophy Cams. I've got three of them, had one out that I had completely forgot about. Found it this last week, brought it back to camp, it had taken pictures from May 2013 to July 2014 on one set of batteries. Low traffic area, but it was something like 4400 pictures. The batteries were corroded in the case. I took them out, took a wire brush to the contacts, threw a new set in there, and it's running like a champ.

If you get one, take a paper towel and fold it over itself a few times until it's about an inch wide. When you turn the camera on, shut it with the paper towel inside. This will sandwich it between the camera side and the battery side, which keeps the batteries from jiggling loose if a coon or crow or something gets after it. It's a fairly common problem with these cameras, but easy to fix.

Do not, DO NOT, buy a Moultrie camera. If you decide to buy one, just take the cash out of your wallet, toss it down the shi**er, flush, and start your search again.
Posted By: USMCatfish

Re: best game cam? - 11/20/14 08:15 PM

If you have the time you could build your own. I have done 4 and a video cam. Quality is awesome but requires a little time and patience, but pretty fun thing to do.
Posted By: Mitch

Re: best game cam? - 11/20/14 08:54 PM

check that chasing game website out. lots of great info there.
I personally really like Moultrie's i990. Extremely fast trigger speed. Easy on the batteries and take crisp clear color pictures.
Very easy to program.
Posted By: Cobbler

Re: best game cam? - 11/20/14 09:04 PM

I think this will be about as personal as someones shoes. One that works for me may be hated by someone else. My recommendation is just to get one and get started. Figure out what you like about it don't like about it and go from there. I've had good luck with Moultries and Wildgame Innovations. Other people hate them.
Posted By: n-all

Re: best game cam? - 11/20/14 09:08 PM

X2 on ShotgunWillie..We have 6 of the Busnells..good cameras..
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: best game cam? - 11/21/14 01:31 AM

I've got 2 left that still work....when they croak, I'm done with TC's. I think I like the excitement of first appearances better. I could have bought a couple new rifles with all the money I've spent on TC's and batteries.... hammer
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: best game cam? - 11/21/14 03:46 AM

Something to remember is that it really isn't the brand that matters, but the individual model. Brands offer new models each year and they just about all have 1 or 2 champions and 3 or 4 dogs.
Posted By: Western

Re: best game cam? - 11/21/14 03:59 AM

I got a Browning strike force and love it, had a few other brands and this one has great test ratings, relativly cheap and so far has been crazy good.

This one
http://www.trailcampro.com/browningstrikeforcereview.aspx

Look through their site, has great info
http://www.trailcampro.com/
Posted By: snoopy

Re: best game cam? - 11/21/14 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Originally Posted By: DH 1

I agree that this is a fool proof cam, but I question it's sensitivity on anything smaller than a deer. I set one up 9 months ago to monitor varmints and deer on my property, and I have not had one pic of a coon, fox, bobcat or yote. But I find scat and tracks, so I know they are here. My old Bushnell cam it replaced took a lot more pics and it's hung in the exact same spot.
I have two Primos 35s. My problem is they're too sensitive even of the "low sensitivity" setting. Can't be any moving grass or tree shadows. Limits where I can use them. I enjoy the game cameras but these things can sure get flakey.
Posted By: DH 1

Re: best game cam? - 11/22/14 04:57 AM

Here's
a Truth Cam 35 shot...You decide worthless
Posted By: Mr. Man

Re: best game cam? - 11/22/14 02:13 PM

geez you will get a million different answers with this question. truthfully you don't need a $200 camera. my grandfather bought one and it broke a week later. he downgraded to a $150 camera and its doing just fine. (I still think that's a little pricey) I run a wildgame innovations micro 6 or 8 I cant remember. ive had it for 2 years now and it perform fines. when I bought it, it was around $80 I think. however before I purchased it, I read reviews and asked about it on all types of forums. I got negative review after negative review. I finally just said forget it and bought a camera and like I said it works fine. basically just pick yourself a camera and go for it.
Posted By: Mr. Man

Re: best game cam? - 11/22/14 02:22 PM

these are pics from the wildgame innovations micro 6 or 8
Posted By: Western

Re: best game cam? - 11/22/14 02:34 PM

Apple to Apples, I think there are more guys that don't care for WG innovations though, I have no doubt they made one or 2 that worked, mine didn't last a month. My neighbors WG, lasted him 2-3 months..

Glad you got deal on the gamble.
Posted By: Big W

Re: best game cam? - 11/25/14 05:32 AM

If you want the absolute best camera you want reconyx. It is hard to drop $450 on a game cam, but it will be the best money you will spend. I use them for work, and routinely get 10,000 pix in 3-4 weeks on one set of batteries. I have been using them year round for about 5 years with no problems except for one unit needed the display replaced. I believe chasing game will say the same thing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum