Texas Hunting Forum

TV hunting shows

Posted By: Wburke2010

TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 12:31 AM

What is your favorite hunting show? Mine would have to be Meateater. It is not as fake and scripted as most and he doesn't always get something or make the best shot and then they play it off. Not to mention some pretty good cooking in the show as well.

What say you?

Walter
Posted By: H-Town Hunter

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 12:34 AM

I really like Pig Man the series. Guy is hilarious. but yes Meateater is a good one as well.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 12:43 AM

I try to avoid infomercials at all costs.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: wburke2010
What is your favorite hunting show? Mine would have to be Meateater. It is not as fake and scripted as most and he doesn't always get something or make the best shot and then they play it off. Not to mention some pretty good cooking in the show as well.

What say you?

Walter

Meateater is about the only one I watch as well.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 12:51 AM

I think these shows are contributing to the downfall of hunting in general. Too many are drawn to the "rock & roll" of it all and come away with the wrong message. Most of these shows emphasize a kill over quality time in the woods with friends and family.

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: PaulZ2
I really like Pig Man the series. Guy is hilarious. but yes Meateater is a good one as well.

I have watched that one a few times, Saw him at Cabela's and got his autograph if its worth anything...

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
I think these shows are contributing to the downfall of hunting in general. Too many are drawn to the "rock & roll" of it all and come away with the wrong message. Most of these shows emphasize a kill over quality time in the woods with friends and family.

I agree, which is one of the reasons that meateater show is great. It is not all about the kill.

Walter
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 01:01 AM

I like the Nuge and Michael Waddell. Before they came along I did not know how to properly celebrate my glorious triumph over the Beast. Now, when the mystical flight of the arrow slays that big Daddy Rabbit I giggle and say cool things like "Boomchakalakalaka!!!".
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate

Trt watch Midwest Whitetails... it is on TV and also you can view it on the web (see link below). I think you will like this show alot.

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/gallery/167/media/5932/mw1412-breaking-loose.html
Posted By: cos

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 01:08 AM

North American Whitetail but have just about stopped watching any of them due to them being a big commercial.
Posted By: TX Hitman

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 02:02 AM

Meateater is pretty good. Quit watching almost all of them because of the nonstop dramazation and fake shots etc....

Imo, The absolute best hunting show on tv is Jim Shockey's Uncharted. The show with him hunting Bears in Canada was awesome.

I just record and fast forward thru the commercials.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 02:12 AM

Ridge Reaper is a good show.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 02:19 AM

Meateater is OK, but can't believe how many think it's their favorite. Not even in my top half.

Bone Collector and Crush are the two biggest commercials, but they are also the best produced and funded. They also have diverse cool hunts from deer to elk to sheep.

I like to watch more of the mountain hunting shows. Western Extreme and Eastmans are really good.

There are dozens of just average shows, I don't DVR them, but will browse and if particular hunt looks interesting I will watch.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 02:23 AM

I don't have a favorite. None of the ones listed above are any I would watch if they are the only show on.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I don't have a favorite. None of the ones listed above are any I would watch if they are the only show on.

I take it that you only watch the shows that Stan Potts appears on?

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

I take it that you only watch the shows that Stan Potts appears on?

Stan "Give me a second" Pitts? Not even worth the effort to find the time for his show.
Posted By: TCB

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 02:48 AM

Has anyone else noticed that several of them are recycling hunts from one show on a different show? I've seen Crush kills on Realtree and Jackie Bushman in addition to their own show. I also say Willie Robertson kill the same deer with the same footage on two different shows within 12 hours of each other.
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 02:58 AM

I like Carnivore myself, No tags in those coyote ears!
Posted By: jshouse

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 03:09 AM

Ridge reaper is good, rival wild, heartland bowhunter and major league bowhunter are all good. One of the coolest episodes I've seen is on MLB when Matt duff does a spot and stalk on some huge bucks across an Alberta alfalfa field.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 03:41 AM

I find about as much value in them as modern country music. There may be a couple worth watching, but I gave up on them awhile ago, so I wouldn't know.

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 03:48 AM

The one I like the most is dropped. Not sure if they are going to do another one or not though.

Walter
Posted By: Erny

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 03:52 AM

Uncharted
Under Wild Skies
Meateater

Are my favorites.
Posted By: cattle69

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 04:22 AM

I like Remington Country.
I think co host Dan Harrison is great person and great Hunter.
Posted By: Western

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 10:59 AM

I liked the old ones narrated by Curt Gowdy (American sportsman iirc)and the old Eastmans and Fred Bear too.

Dont ever recall them being commercial, no C'mere deer ,or vanilla on Indian corn to get the big one!
Posted By: kry226

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 12:04 PM

There are a few still worth their salt.

In no specific order:
Heartland Bowhunter
Major League Bowhunter
Pigman (for the laughs)
Midwest Whitetails (probably the most informative; Winke is a great hunter)
Live 2 Hunt (they work their butts off to kill some big deer)

And while I don't care for their current shows, and their EARLY stuff was pretty good, I'll admit I've learned a lot watching some of the Drury shows over the years.

Also, there was a good B-rated show several years back called "Closing the Distance" that was great. Outside of them pumping their no-name deer urine sponsor, they actually got out there and hunted.
Posted By: bp3

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 12:33 PM

Beyond the hunt and Ridge reaper. Can't recall the one with two Colorado state troopers that bow hunt, haven't seen them for a while.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 01:27 PM

I think a lot of the problem is that it is a business. I bet they would all rather just hunt, but when you have to pay to be on the outdoor channel, they have to come up with the money from sponsors.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 01:43 PM

I have Dish and get two channels of hunting shows. The only times I turn them on is when I'm doing something else and will watch without the volume on. I find the talking to be annoying and meaningless. Better to have music playing in the background, or total silence. I don't have a favorite, or know of any of their names.

Eddie

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
There are a few still worth their salt.

In no specific order:
Heartland Bowhunter
Major League Bowhunter
Pigman (for the laughs)
Midwest Whitetails (probably the most informative; Winke is a great hunter)
Live 2 Hunt (they work their butts off to kill some big deer)

And while I don't care for their current shows, and their EARLY stuff was pretty good, I'll admit I've learned a lot watching some of the Drury shows over the years.

Also, there was a good B-rated show several years back called "Closing the Distance" that was great. Outside of them pumping their no-name deer urine sponsor, they actually got out there and hunted.

i like winke too, i like the shows that explain their process and dont just show them in a stand killing things. MLB is good about showing failures and misses too.

closing the distance was good, havent seen it in a while. they had a good one about a huge deer killed around college station.

canadian whitetail television is good, they kill huge deer up there.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 02:14 PM

As mentioned above Canadian Whitetail TV is a good one .... I am always amazed at how pretty those Canadian bucks are....they bow hunt a lot on that show so you get to see the deer in their early Fall coats.....the huge bodies and bright white throat patches on HUGE necks are really something else.

The nice thing about Winke's Midwest Whitetails is that you can view it on the web. Winke is not only a good hunter but a really nice guy.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
I try to avoid infomercials at all costs.

x2
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 03:56 PM

I guess I have a different perspective. I don't want to hear about the "good times in the woods with family" when I watch a hunting show. I want to see animals die (bucks, ducks, does, pigs, all of it) and the tactics that lead to the kill. If I wanted to know about the "good times" I'd go to deer or duck camp myself and have a good time.
Posted By: NewJeep

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 03:59 PM

Meet the McMillians
Tracks Across Africa
Tim Wells
Deadly Hunts
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 05:20 PM

Meateater, Roger Raglin and Eastons Hunting Journal, no particular order.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ETX-Gobbler590
I guess I have a different perspective. I don't want to hear about the "good times in the woods with family" when I watch a hunting show. I want to see animals die (bucks, ducks, does, pigs, all of it) and the tactics that lead to the kill. If I wanted to know about the "good times" I'd go to deer or duck camp myself and have a good time.
Agreed, I get tired of all the love and sacrifice stories associated with the hunting. Go hunting and kill stuff, we all got issues.
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 06:01 PM

Meat Eater and Dropped are the ones I try and catch.

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 06:05 PM

dropped is back on, about 4 episodes in so far...

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse
dropped is back on, about 4 episodes in so far...

Dang I must have missed the start, Where are they at this time?

Walter

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 06:38 PM

still on sportsman channel, maybe tonight, i record it so not sure what day/time
Posted By: Harrier

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 06:38 PM

1. Whatever the show is with Randy Newburg where he hunts on public land. Used to be called On Your Own Adventures.
2. Pigman
3. Wardens
Posted By: Navasot

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 06:53 PM

Relentless pursuit
Pigman
Arrow Affliction was cool while Braket was doing the show... think hes back with it.
Heartland aint bad.
RNT
Sasquatch is different but not bad at all plus Laramy is just a good ole hand that likes to hunt and knows what hes doing.

good bit of others.... iv always enjoyed watching hunting shows not all of them but I can remember watching Wadel missing a giant buck at 7yrds a loooooong time ago right when he popped up with realtree.

I also remember one of the first shows I bought was on a video tape lol wish I could remember the guys name but he was always putting down some giants from texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc. Would always be just sitting by a tree with a smoke pole or bow and rattle bucks in close.... one I remember the most was a giant in Kansas he shot at 10yrds or something like that with a ML...in a big hollow draw.. deer was huge.

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 06:56 PM

wisco-hunter used to like The Wardens but doesn't any more.....

Seriously, they really seem to go easy on the hunting violators on that show.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/06/14 07:05 PM

Cant stand them. I don't care for the editing and music. I don't care for the marketing. I don't like hearing so check this out every 3 seconds.

I do not like that the last time I watched hunting shows because I couldn't find anything else on I watched three deer get shot and every single one of them was left overnight. If you cant get it together any better than that you either need to hang it up or quit hunting afternoon/evening hunts.

I despise hunting shows.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/07/14 01:42 AM

The Flush
Uncharted
Sasquatch
Posted By: ddmm

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/07/14 01:59 AM

We watch a good number of them just because it's better than network tv. Partial to Bone Collectors for one reason...those guys came in town a few years back to open up the Cabelas store. On their way, they went out of the way to stop by Children's Medical Hospital and drop in and visit my son who had been in there for 2 months. I missed the visit, but my wife said my son's mouth was moving for 5 minutes before any words came out! Needless to say my son's spirit jumped off the charts! Needless to none of the nurses had a clue who they were.

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/07/14 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: ddmm
We watch a good number of them just because it's better than network tv. Partial to Bone Collectors for one reason...those guys came in town a few years back to open up the Cabelas store. On their way, they went out of the way to stop by Children's Medical Hospital and drop in and visit my son who had been in there for 2 months. I missed the visit, but my wife said my son's mouth was moving for 5 minutes before any words came out! Needless to say my son's spirit jumped off the charts! Needless to none of the nurses had a clue who they were.

Well that's really cool!
Posted By: Zach S

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/07/14 10:04 AM

Uncharted with Jim shockey and occasionally ridge reaper are about the only two I watch. I always record tv shows though as I have a distaste for commercials like many others.
Posted By: bp3

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/08/14 03:53 AM

Fresh tracks is pretty good.
Posted By: BrianMc

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/08/14 06:12 PM

I record PigMan to watch, but that's about it.

Although not TV, I've started watching these. There's not much infomercial to it... just raw footage of hunting... plus I can watch whenever and fast forward... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJzKeGgsLwMfI90kcr-aI9A
Posted By: tx_biologist

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/08/14 08:06 PM

Quit watching most of them altogether, most if not all are fake and share no message about management. Mainly because I'm a biologist by trade, so this is a year around gig for me. Its hard to get excited anymore. But Meat Eater is pretty good, and has some value- enjoy the hunt and your surrounding its not all about the kill.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/09/14 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: tx_biologist
Quit watching most of them altogether, most if not all are fake and share no message about management. Mainly because I'm a biologist by trade, so this is a year around gig for me. Its hard to get excited anymore. But Meat Eater is pretty good, and has some value- enjoy the hunt and your surrounding its not all about the kill.

i wish i had a degree. then people wouldn't laugh & make fun of me flag
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/09/14 06:15 PM

Tired of most of them..too much bull chit, face paint, hic douche bags

Like 'Trail's Across Africa', Under Wild Skies, Tony Makris owns MOST of the outdoor shows, he owns Orion Pictures.

Used to like the Outer Limits, Best Of The West, long-range hunting shows but I've watched too many of these animals get gut shot and get away.

Like Brush Country Monsters but it left Outdoor Channel went to the Pursuit Channel which my cable Co. doesn't have
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/09/14 06:39 PM

Can't believe people are that into pigman. IMO, that guy is annoying and dumber than a box of rocks.

And can't believe no one likes gun it with benny spies. Best non-scripted show out there, and it comes on right after pigman for you guys who like that show.
Posted By: cmc

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/10/14 01:29 AM

I watch Benny and all the africa shows and some pig man but they are recorded and there has to be very little to do. I don't understand what fake means, when people say this show is fake. Are the deer not real or the whole thing is photoshopped or what? I bet their ain't nothing fake about Ivan carter or Jim Shockey or Tim wells.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/10/14 03:39 AM

I too enjoy Meateater and anything with Jim Shockey or Randy Newberg.
Posted By: BurrOak

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/10/14 09:57 PM

Not one mention so far for The Western Hunter? That one and Meateater are about the only ones I watch.

Edit: Unchartered was pretty dang good too.
Posted By: BowInHand_71

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/10/14 10:55 PM

My favorite is heartland bow hunter
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/10/14 11:12 PM

GO JACKS!!! BowinHand_71

I'm class of 76 Pi Kappa Alpha

Pigman is probably a nice guy when he's not on TV...On TV he's an idiot

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/11/14 05:37 AM

Originally Posted By: tx_biologist

I mean it kinda is why your there but I see what your sayin...

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/11/14 05:42 AM

Originally Posted By: BowInHand_71
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
Can't believe people are that into pigman. IMO, that guy is annoying and dumber than a box of rocks.

And can't believe no one likes gun it with benny spies. Best non-scripted show out there, and it comes on right after pigman for you guys who like that show.

You mean tha guy that drag races people in a RV... C'mon man how is that guy not annoying???
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/11/14 05:03 PM

After making countless hunting tv shows, I can't bring myself to watch any of them now... bs barf bang
Posted By: JHeflinland

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/11/14 09:22 PM

I haven't been able to watch much hunting at all the past year, but when I had regular access to those channels, I always liked the shows that seemed a little more down to earth and hunted situations similar to the way most of us hunt here in Texas. Do it yourself type of hunts, low fence, etc... I can remember a few that I really liked, but I don't remember names.
Posted By: JHeflinland

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/11/14 09:24 PM

Always liked watching hunts in old Mexico, too.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/11/14 09:40 PM

I don't even have tv any more other than antenna I think all if it is big rip off and waste of time. Paying 100 or 200 bucks a month to actually see maybe one or two movies and a few episodes of show with a millenion commercials. No thanks. I see whatever sports are on or the wife tunes into americas singing shows for the month if we watch anything.

We use netflix or watch shows online some. The only hunting shows I watch are the same ones we've had on VHS forever until they stop playing. I just turn them on for background every once in a while. I know I'm in the minority without satellite and all that but hey if I want to see deer killed I go and kill them or watch you tube videos of unpaid unsponsored hunters. Most of the time Im working anyway.
Posted By: tlk

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/12/14 01:57 AM

then you have guys like Spook Nations Spook Spahn who breaks hunting laws, gets probation, breaks probation, goes to jail and pays a fine, and then Pursuit Channel keeps him on their channel showing his TV show - what a joke - how do you explain that to your kids or grand kids? Here is how - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Posted By: TEXAN1970

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/12/14 02:13 AM

Pigman & Meateater

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/12/14 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

You mean tha guy that drag races people in a RV... C'mon man how is that guy not annoying???

Only show I really know of that isn't scripted in anyway. Not afraid to show misses, and is entertaining at the same time.

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/12/14 03:53 AM

Only show I really know of that isn't scripted in anyway. Not afraid to show misses, and is entertaining at the same time.

And you know this how?
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/12/14 04:03 AM

Infomercials of places majority of common man cant afford to hunt,pushing latest greatest products,that some how made last years latest greatest products now defunct and useless....with scripted contrived BS....yeah "show" is about right. That is not the hunting I was raised up with 40 years back. I have seen some some while surfing that seemed to be better than others,but still sour is sour!

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/12/14 04:17 AM

Watch it and you'll see. Yes, I'm sure they have an agenda, but you don't see the false, I just killed a huge deer, and was only able to do it bc of these 20 products. And none of his hunts are paid hunts. The first two seasons were actually done by knocking on doors and friends letting him hunt.
And you know this how?
Posted By: cmc

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/12/14 11:17 AM

Isn't tv of any kind scripted? I thought that was the whole point, script something out, put it on tv and entertain me. Benny Spies is pretty good but I don't care if he's a hired actor or professional Hunter I watch tv for entertainment so if I'm entertained I got my money's worth if I'm not I'll turn it to Honey Boo Boo and laugh at that.

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/12/14 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: cmc
Isn't tv of any kind scripted? I thought that was the whole point, script something out, put it on tv and entertain me. Benny Spies is pretty good but I don't care if he's a hired actor or professional Hunter I watch tv for entertainment so if I'm entertained I got my money's worth if I'm not I'll turn it to Honey Boo Boo and laugh at that.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, I was just trying to say that he doesn't plug products and stuff like that. I believe you understand what I was trying to say too. His show actually seems like a show that is very similar to a real hunt that most of us would go on.
Posted By: Curly

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/12/14 03:48 PM

Whispering....all that darn whispering = fingernails on a chalkboard.
Shut up and hunt. grin Edit in some narration afterwards.
2cents
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/16/14 07:39 PM

Scripted would be okay if i had /has educational or such type info..but "buttockusnoseparkus" the land owner 9 times a show with "hes a good ole guy"....meh...could be just me But I doubt it! aim
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: TV hunting shows - 11/16/14 08:42 PM

I like anything with Jim Shockey, especially those father/daughter hunts he does! up

Pigman is a little excessive but I'd sure like to hunt with him a time or two. I bet he's fun to be around.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum