Texas Hunting Forum

Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch

Posted By: DQ Kid

Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 04:46 PM

And can you safely use a Mr. Buddy heater in it and it be safe, comfortable? I currently sleep in motel but am considering saving some by sleeping in a tent. What say the forum?
Posted By: Branden

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 04:50 PM

Cant say about a MrBuddy but in some of the years past we just hanged a lantern in the center when we packed in elk hunting. Im sure a buddy heater would work, use it in the deer stand they have saftey features on them.
Posted By: Paluxy300blk

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 04:53 PM

I personally don't feel safe sleeping in a canvas or nylon tent with a heater running, unless it is direct vented outside. Even cracking the door a bit to let in fresh air does not abate the potential fire hazard. I know the modern heaters, such as the Little or Big Buddy models have O2 sensors. I trust they work, for the most part.

In the old days our strategy would be to fire up the lantern, bring it in the tent for a few minutes to warm things up, kill it, and set it outside. I've now done the same thing with a Little Buddy, except I didn't put it outside -- only turned it off. That way there is little chance it will cause a spark overnight or deplete all the oxygen any further.

Just my thoughts.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 04:53 PM

cheers

Even though this is the front yard I sleep out here more than inside during the winter
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 04:54 PM

I have many times in below freezing temps. Just spend some money on a good sleeping bag and forget the heater.

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 04:55 PM

If you got power at camp just get an electric blanket... snakes may come try and visit you but no worries
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 05:01 PM

Purely talking one or two nighter. Is there a temperature threshold where you wouldn't do it, lows in 20s/30s? Having to buy a tent for my soon to be boyscout son and the wife is thinking I could save some $$$ by staying at the ranch on overnighters instead of in town. Would probably be less than 5 nights total during season.

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 05:06 PM

No temp threshold for me.

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Purely talking one or two nighter. Is there a temperature threshold where you wouldn't do it, lows in 20s/30s? Having to buy a tent for my soon to be boyscout son and the wife is thinking I could save some $$$ by staying at the ranch on overnighters instead of in town. Would probably be less than 5 nights total during season.

20s probably... Iv always been a fan of a mattress in the bed of a truck... wind block on 4 sides.. a good blanket and sleeping bag..... chit talk about livin

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 05:07 PM

Not in Texas anyway.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 05:09 PM

I wouldn't use that heater in a tent. I used one in my camper but I had good ventilation and a back up carbon monoxide detector. I would think 50 degrees would be ok with a tent and sleeping bag. Colder than that might start getting a little uncomfortable.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 05:16 PM

They are sold to work in tents. It is in the items description on their website. I use one. Tents are not airtight to begin with or you would run out of o2 just breathing in it.

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisB
I wouldn't use that heater in a tent. I used one in my camper but I had good ventilation and a back up carbon monoxide detector. I would think 50 degrees would be ok with a tent and sleeping bag. Colder than that might start getting a little uncomfortable.

50 degrees!!?? Lol
Posted By: Paluxy300blk

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/04/14 05:22 PM

It's all about having the right sleeping bag and clothing. I have slept -20F in tents and been comfortable. I have a huge Coleman sleeping bag that is rated for 10F and several rated -10F (mummy bags.) Having something like the Buddy Heater there to fire up when you wake is a big help. Those first few critical minutes when you crawl out of the bag is when you want some instant heat.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 12:36 AM

I hate the cold. I sleep in 2 sleeping bags with clothes on.
Posted By: txshotgun

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 12:37 AM

Don't crawl in a sleeping bag with all your clothes on either. You start sweating and hypothermia can set in quick. Right bag for the right temps will do fine. Sometimes I'll put a flat sheet in for a little more insulation. A decent Coleman 3 season bag should work fine for most of Texas.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 12:55 AM

I've used heaters and lanterns for heat many times. Unzip a small window just a tad, close to your head. you'll be fine. Get off the ground if possible on a good cot, good sleeping bag and you're good to go. If you have electricity, run a heavy duty extension cord to an electric heater. It's very satisfying sleeping on your own place versus paying to sleep in a motel that smells of curry.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 01:13 AM

Invest in a quality sleeping bag that is rated for temps well below what you might experience. Use the heater when you change clothes. No worries. My 20 below zero bag has kept me toasty in single digits.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 01:20 AM

All we have ever used was sleeping bags, we never used a heater inside of a tent.
Posted By: janie

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 01:21 AM

Used to. No more. Tent thing in January and wound up with pneumonia. Good sleeping bag and a fiberglass topper on the pickup felt like the Hilton.

I'd sleep in the cab of the truck if nothing else was available.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 01:23 AM

I would never use one of these in a tent unless it was a huge wall tent or something of similar size with good ventilation. Have people done it, sure, but that doesn't make it safe or right. Someone mentioned that the company states that "this is their intended purpose." I will disagree. As stated on the back of the heater they are intended for indoor/outdoor use where "appropriate ventilation" meets the guidelines set out in their manual (like you will find in a deer blind - huge windows open). People die all of the time from space heaters inside their own home and those aren't air tight either. I camp at my lease all of the time in a 2 person tent. As mentioned before, if you have a good appropriately rated sleeping bag you will never get cold with the exception of maybe your exposed face. I will sleep in my underoos and place my long johns and socks in the bottom of my sleeping bag to keep them toasty warm. Sometimes I'll even throw one of the 16 hour mega sized body/hand warmer packs in the bag as well for added warmth though my sleeping bag does just fine. I put the socks and long johns on while still in the bag and then go to my truck where my outer wear is and get dressed in there with the heater on. Just spend the money for an excellent sleeping bag and a good sleeping pad or cot. Air mattresses are not good insulators and perform poorly on the cold ground. Don't take the risk of going to bed warm and toasty with the heater on and never waking up.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 01:33 AM

Tent thing? What's that?
Posted By: USMCatfish

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 01:34 AM

My wife 3 kids 2 dogs and I sleep in tent, and for the last three years we been using a Mr.Heater in there with us. We keep it on low anything else will cook you out of there and that is with out side temp in the 20's. We have the two 1lbs propane bottle model. When they run out it gets cold quick in there, so I always keep 2 extra bottle in the tenet with me.
Posted By: BlackSnake

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 01:46 AM

I'm pretty sure the Mr Buddies have a shut off when the oxygen levels get low. I've never used one in a tent before, but I have always slept in a 8x16 tent for the better part if 30 years up until 5 years ago.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 02:28 AM

We use to wrap round sandstone rocks in foil and throw in the campfire eary on. At bedtime we would drag them out and wrap in towels and stick them in our bedrolls. Keep you warm for several hours.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 02:37 AM

maybe I'm the odd man out but I have a 0 degree mummy bag and went to Colorado when temps would get down in the 20's at night and every night I froze my arse off.

first night slept in just underwear and froze. second night I wore PJ bottoms and froze, third nite I had a shirt and pj bottoms on, still froze.

finally I would sleep in pj bottoms, a short sleeve shirt and a hoodie and it became tolerable.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
maybe I'm the odd man out but I have a 0 degree mummy bag and went to Colorado when temps would get down in the 20's at night and every night I froze my arse off.

first night slept in just underwear and froze. second night I wore PJ bottoms and froze, third nite I had a shirt and pj bottoms on, still froze.

finally I would sleep in pj bottoms, a short sleeve shirt and a hoodie and it became tolerable.

First I would ask is were you laying directly on the tent floor/ground or on an uninsulated air mattress? Second, how old is your sleeping bag? Bags get old and the loft in them can worsen their temperature rating.
Posted By: trjscout

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 03:34 AM

I hear you turkey hunter if I wake up nowadays with a tent I might not go hunting.
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 04:02 AM

I learned as a teen camping throughout high school that getting the right sleeping bag makes all the difference in the world. Make sure you have a bag that is rated correctly for the expected lowest temps, if you do that you will sleep fine.
Posted By: Whiptail

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 04:07 AM

The heater buddy gives off a lot of humidity and CO2. You're better off with a wood stove and they are more fun. We don't sleep with the stove lit.

If you want a propane heater in your tent then get a vented one like the Nu-Way Stoves.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 04:13 AM

Love my Mr a Buddy heaters. Have used them in a standalone tent and the tent that goes on the back of my Avalanche. A single one will cook you out if you don't turn it down. Get the extension hose that lets you hook up to an external propane tank, tons cheaper than the little bottles.

Take a look at pickup bed tents, particularly if you can lower your back window.

Charlie

Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 04:22 AM

been known ta use a jungle hammack flag

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 04:36 AM

been known ta use a jungle hammack flag edit: glitch in ansroid, it frooze-up flag
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Theringworm
I would never use one of these in a tent unless it was a huge wall tent or something of similar size with good ventilation. Have people done it, sure, but that doesn't make it safe or right. Someone mentioned that the company states that "this is their intended purpose." I will disagree. As stated on the back of the heater they are intended for indoor/outdoor use where "appropriate ventilation" meets the guidelines set out in their manual (like you will find in a deer blind - huge windows open). People die all of the time from space heaters inside their own home and those aren't air tight either. I camp at my lease all of the time in a 2 person tent. As mentioned before, if you have a good appropriately rated sleeping bag you will never get cold with the exception of maybe your exposed face. I will sleep in my underoos and place my long johns and socks in the bottom of my sleeping bag to keep them toasty warm. Sometimes I'll even throw one of the 16 hour mega sized body/hand warmer packs in the bag as well for added warmth though my sleeping bag does just fine. I put the socks and long johns on while still in the bag and then go to my truck where my outer wear is and get dressed in there with the heater on. Just spend the money for an excellent sleeping bag and a good sleeping pad or cot. Air mattresses are not good insulators and perform poorly on the cold ground. Don't take the risk of going to bed warm and toasty with the heater on and never waking up.

So they are not safe in tents or campers when it clearly states they are? Go read the product description on the Mr. Heater website. I have one and use it with windows closed if freezing in a deer blind and never had an issue since I trust they would not sell a dangerous product. Or we would have heard about it by now.

http://www.mrheater.com/portable-buddy-heater.html
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 05:22 AM

Sleeping in a bag in tent is not the problem, it's not wanting to get out of your warm bag into the cold air in the morning. That is like jump into a pool of ice water.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 05:45 AM

Tent camping in my younger days was awesome. Foam pad under the bag. No heater, just wore appropriate clothes depending on weather. Key to keeping warm is socks and wool hat on your head. Eventually graduated to a pop up, which is still tent camping really, then a trailer. Love my trailer.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 07:58 AM

Get a good sleeping bag and an good insulated pad. Good, not some piece of "stuff" at Academy or Walmart. Buy the insulated pad as long as your body, not the short one. Read the reviews, there are new versions that have come out in the last few years. We camped across western Canada in 1977, we froze our butts off in the Canadian Rockies for 2 nights until a couple told us about the sleeping pads. They loaned us 2 of them, it was our first night of sleep since we had gotten there, the next day we drove into Banff and bought insulated sleeping bag pads. With a cheap tent, good sleeping bags and the pads we were comfortable.

In our day the pads were open cell foam pads, today I have no clue what they are called. My recommendation is go to a camping forum and ask about cold weather camping, I am sure today's version are a better than the were in 1977.

Start here http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/sleeping-pads.html
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 01:02 PM

Used a heavy canvas tent for years, heated with a kerosene heater. No problems at all.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 01:46 PM

Have used a mr heater in a tent several times. And in deer stands with windows shut. Never had a problem. Get the hose so you can run the big bottle & set it outside. Also a good sleeping bag and you are good.
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 02:17 PM

Having the right equipment is crucial. Keeping dry is another thing to prepare for. I have returned from hunting a few time to a wet tent and sleeping bag.

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Only in the mornings when I was younger.

roflmao rofl roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Branden

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 04:41 PM

Another thing that works good is if you shy from the heater in tent is get a good sleeping bag with a canvas bag to put the sleeping bag in and you will stay very warm do this in colorado and put my clothes in the bag with me so they are warm when I put them on.

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 05:17 PM

scratch like pappy always say's: tis not about being hard core. rather keeping the care warm. last over night hunten trip. Twas a monen & a grownen rofl all threw the night. kept the others awake. the last night, they felt sorry for me & they got out the little buddy heater. if ya got a vent in roof their pretty safe. flag
Posted By: esnow74

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 06:25 PM

been sleeping in tents my whole life at the leases. When it is cold, I make sure and put a blanket over the sleeping bag and sometimes one inside (when it is REALLY cold). While awake just before going to bed or as I wake in the morning, I sometimes will run a heater like that or even a small camp stove to quickly warm up the tent but never needed it to run all night. The few times I have slept in pop up camper at the leases, I found it to be colder in those than in my tents. A warm winter hat while sleeping helps also. I know when the weather is storming, i wish I had a camper but love sleeping in my tent. I'm sure the next lease I get on, everyone will look at me crazy as they climb in their trailers and I climb into my tent. Also, throw the cot out and get an air mattress but cover it with a sheet so it doesnt get too cold.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 08:03 PM

When we first got our place there were no sleeping arangements. We slept ontop of the corn on the flatbed or in the back of the truck. Winter was always better than summer.

I spent 3 dyas down there where the highgest temp was 36 degrees during the day and it froze every night. We slept in sleeping bags on cots under the stars. It really wasn't that bad.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 08:09 PM

A conversation about pitching a tent has not been had at our lease.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/05/14 09:33 PM

I agree with you fellas
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/06/14 01:33 AM

Good bag and tent=no heater necessary. If you can drive to your spot the added comforts are endless. Twin mattress being #1 perk.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/06/14 02:31 AM

Use the heater to get warm beforehand. I find if you enter the tent cold and try to warm up in the sleeping bag its worse. If you climb in while you are warm you will be fine.

Usually run the heater buddy for 10-15 minutes while winding down and then shut it off. We've never fallen asleep with it on.

But never really found it too cold for the tent, but we mostly camped out in tents in Louisiana. We used tents exclusively for 10 or so years while duck hunting at a WMA. The hardest part wasn't sleeping in the tent, it was putting on the frozen waders in the morning.

Think biggest issue as others mentioned is getting off the ground or some form of insulation between you and the ground.
Posted By: the rattler

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/06/14 04:16 PM

we have done it, put a piece of plywood on the floor for the htr to sit on and get all other stuff away from it. We also will sometimes turn it off when we sleep put crank it to get dressed.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/06/14 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67

A conversation about pitching a tent has not been had at our lease.
roflmao
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/06/14 06:56 PM

As long as it is on something stable it will be no problems. When I had a lease near Hye we tented it a lot. We finally got electricity and everyone got a little ceramic heater. They work great in a 10x10 tent.

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/06/14 06:59 PM

There were times in the Navy when I would be sleeping on the ground with the Marines and wake up in the morning with a frozen bivy cover but I was warm inside. It's all about the sleeping bag.
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/06/14 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
And can you safely use a Mr. Buddy heater in it and it be safe, comfortable? I currently sleep in motel but am considering saving some by sleeping in a tent. What say the forum?

Sure! I used tent several times. Had this 3 room tent,found on clearance one day for only $40..I left it up all season 2 years in a row.I t finally got stolen out of utility shed. And yes Iused the MR. Buddy heaters...5000 btu If i recall full can last about 5 hours for me on high...it got cold buddy...I had that thing within 2 foot of my face many a night while in sleeping bag layered under army blankets and old time quilt...nice war and comfy! I had plenty of space.

Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/06/14 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
cheers

Even though this is the front yard I sleep out here more than inside during the winter

yeah, but you have fresh deer tongue to keep you warm.

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/07/14 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: sprigsss

Think biggest issue as others mentioned is getting off the ground or some form of insulation between you and the ground.

i like it whin de wife goes with. she my little heater-buddy, scratch she likes the top though. walking ops wife bolt flag
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/07/14 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
I have many times in below freezing temps. Just spend some money on a good sleeping bag and forget the heater.

Throughout my life I have backpacked (all seasons - mostly northern geographies which means a real winter not this southern pseudo-winter) so tent camping is fine with me and that's what I do at my current lease. No Mr. Buddy in the tent though - not safe, not needed and no room.

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/07/14 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Originally Posted By: Navasot
cheers

yeah, but you have fresh deer tongue to keep you warm.
roflmao
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/07/14 05:08 PM

rofl
Posted By: mudman

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/08/14 06:41 AM

I have a canvas wedge tent and a wood burning stove.

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/08/14 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose

Throughout my life I have backpacked (all seasons - mostly northern geographies which means a real winter not this southern pseudo-winter) so tent camping is fine with me and that's what I do at my current lease. No Mr. Buddy in the tent though - not safe, not needed and no room.

scratch what's a pseudo-winter it gots mo dan too leddas & me android goen muyloco flag
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/08/14 04:38 PM

I agree. I have slept in some very cold places where I had to use all three parts of my military sleeping system and was very warm until I got out of it to get dressed LOL. Most of these sleeping systems require you to sleep in underwear and t shirt or else you will sweat.
Posted By: Schanz

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/08/14 07:13 PM

X2!

I camped last year with my 4 year old. It got down to 20 degrees, no heat in a little one room cabin. My son got the sleeping bag and I slept on a cot with long johns, insulated coveralls and a blanket. I froze my @$$ off! A night I won't ever forget.

I checked on my son and he was darn near sweating curled up in the sleeping bag!
Posted By: dav42070

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/10/14 12:13 AM

Nothing like waking up with frozen drool on your pillow, get a good sleeping bag and use the heater when you get up.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/10/14 06:34 AM

Used to when I was younger but now I have a lease 25mi from house so just drive from house to lease every morning!!!
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/11/14 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: colt.45

scratch what's a pseudo-winter it gots mo dan too leddas & me android goen muyloco flag

Lol.

Winter to me is snow, a lot of it. And cold, really cold. Neither of which does most of Texas get. So though it's Winter, the *season*, it's not Winter weather like other parts of the country have.

Hope your Android is doing better.

Cheers to ya colt.45.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/11/14 03:20 AM

We camped out for a few years when my aunt and her family were living in the ranch house. Spent several nights in a tent that were below 25, I think the coldest was 17. A good sleeping bag and some polypro long-johns were enough to keep us comfortable even in those temps.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/11/14 02:49 PM

DQ; I did some as a kid and many, many years with my sons Boy Scouts troop, and up until last year out hunting. I am 58 and it was time for the easier deal, broke down and bought a Butt Hutt as Sniper calls them.
Loved the tent when the weather was nice or decent, just a lot of work for one guy when its time to pack it up.
Some of the other interesting moments are like when the wind changes and blows the camp fire smoke right into you while sleeping, oops it rains and it was not forecasted and these suprises usually happen at night when its to late. Oh and that morning when I woke up and it was 28 and froze my tush off. Lots of great memories and still have two tents that will get some more use out of. A lot of good suggestions already, my favorite item was when I finally got queen size blow up bed, gosh that made life good!

Posted By: chalet

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/11/14 05:59 PM

Been doing the tent thing for a long time. Started sleeping in the back of my truck and on the ground when I was in highschool, moved up to cheap 3 man dome tent in college, picked up a 10x12 canvas outfitter type tent last year from a member on here. This year stepped up and built a portable 12x20' hardsided shack with a canvas top that I set up and plan to leave at the lease until hunting season is over.

This is what I know.

Sleeping in 20 degrees is no problem, crawling out of bed in 20 degrees to go hunt at 05:00 can be. Get a good bag - I use the older military Intermediate cold weather bags. Supposedly good to 15 deg. I've slept out under the stars in the low to mid teens and I'd say that is about their limit. Make sure there is something between it and the ground for comfort and insulation. I use moving blankets for the kids. I sleep on a Cabelas 2" foam camp mattress and would say without a doubt it is some of the best money I have ever spent. Stay away from air mattresses. They are cold and always leak. Military style cots are nice. Make sure you use a pad if its cold for insulation and also drape a blanket over them to keep the air from circulating under you, otherwise you wake up in the middle of night with the cold azz. The cabelas mattress works great on a cot also.

I run a propane garage heater in my bigger tents. Usually not all night unless I've got some sissy *cough* LG *cough* at the lease. Then I will run it on low and keep it a little warmer. There is plenty of airflow where I sleep, I don't worry about oxygen levels. The heater is really more for warming up when I wake up.

Have a routine for waking up. Mine is this. Make sure coffee pot is loaded at night and ready to go on the stove. Make sure heater is ready and matches are close at hand. Sleep in longjohns. Depending on how cold it is jeans, socks and t-shirt in the bottom of the bag. Boots go right next to cot. Wake up, stay horizontal get clothes on in bag. Sit up and step into my boots. Once I get vertical I have 1-2 minutes tops to make it to the outhouse 50yds south of camp. Light the coffee, light the heater, duckfoot to the outhouse. By the time I'm done with business and back in the tent coffee is percolating and it is nice and warm - or maybe it just feels warm because its cold in the outhouse. Either way this is when I start waking whoever is along up and they have no complaints. If they do I just dump a finger or two of bourbon in their coffee cup.

I like propane appliances. Stoves, heaters, and lanterns. They light quick and are easy to use. However, I have accumulated a bunch of older coleman stuff I'd like to rebuild and try out. I also have a couple kerosene lanterns, one that belonged to my grand pa. I really like the light they put off and they are low maintenance and cheap also.

Putting up camp is fun. Camping in tents is fun. Taking down and packing up in cold wet weather can bring the suck. Minimize your equipment, keep stuff that can't get wet in the truck if you even think it might rain. Keep camp picked up and clean as you go during the weekend. Pack things to where they are ready to use when you unpack them next time.

Tent and chuckwagon I picked up from a fine gentleman on here

Not sure, think it was in the low 20's that night. Note the sissy in the sleeping bag, hence the heater is running....

Current hunting shack. I got tire of taking down and setting up the other tent every time I went out to the lease. Working out pretty good so far.

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/11/14 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45

Lol.

Winter to me is snow, a lot of it. And cold, really cold. Neither of which does most of Texas get. So though it's Winter, the *season*, it's not Winter weather like other parts of the country have.

Hope your Android is doing better.

Cheers to ya colt.45.

cheers best wishes flag
Posted By: LG

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/11/14 06:29 PM

That sissy in the sleeping is nice and cozy because I have the extreme cold weather sleeping bag, and you have the heater on cause you have the intermeduate bag!
Posted By: chalet

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/11/14 06:44 PM

I keep the whiskey close enough that I don't need the extreme cold weather bag.

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/11/14 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: LG
That sissy in the sleeping is nice and cozy because I have the extreme cold weather sleeping bag, and you have the heater on cause you have the intermeduate bag!

rofl like pappy always say's: i'm bout as bright as a burnt out light bulb. whin ya flip the switch, the element don't connect bringing on old sleeping bag rated for summer on a campout hunting trip in 16degree temps, makes your teeth chatter. it whin they stop chattering that ya gotta worry flag
Posted By: LG

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/11/14 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: chalet
I keep the whiskey close enough that I don't need the extreme cold weather bag.

IF YOU NOTICED THE HEATER IS FACING YOU, HIPPY!
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/11/14 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: chalet
Been doing the tent thing for a long time. Started sleeping in the back of my truck and on the ground when I was in highschool, moved up to cheap 3 man dome tent in college, picked up a 10x12 canvas outfitter type tent last year from a member on here. This year stepped up and built a portable 12x20' hardsided shack with a canvas top that I set up and plan to leave at the lease until hunting season is over.

This is what I know.

Sleeping in 20 degrees is no problem, crawling out of bed in 20 degrees to go hunt at 05:00 can be. Get a good bag - I use the older military Intermediate cold weather bags. Supposedly good to 15 deg. I've slept out under the stars in the low to mid teens and I'd say that is about their limit. Make sure there is something between it and the ground for comfort and insulation. I use moving blankets for the kids. I sleep on a Cabelas 2" foam camp mattress and would say without a doubt it is some of the best money I have ever spent. Stay away from air mattresses. They are cold and always leak. Military style cots are nice. Make sure you use a pad if its cold for insulation and also drape a blanket over them to keep the air from circulating under you, otherwise you wake up in the middle of night with the cold azz. The cabelas mattress works great on a cot also.

I run a propane garage heater in my bigger tents. Usually not all night unless I've got some sissy *cough* LG *cough* at the lease. Then I will run it on low and keep it a little warmer. There is plenty of airflow where I sleep, I don't worry about oxygen levels. The heater is really more for warming up when I wake up.

Have a routine for waking up. Mine is this. Make sure coffee pot is loaded at night and ready to go on the stove. Make sure heater is ready and matches are close at hand. Sleep in longjohns. Depending on how cold it is jeans, socks and t-shirt in the bottom of the bag. Boots go right next to cot. Wake up, stay horizontal get clothes on in bag. Sit up and step into my boots. Once I get vertical I have 1-2 minutes tops to make it to the outhouse 50yds south of camp. Light the coffee, light the heater, duckfoot to the outhouse. By the time I'm done with business and back in the tent coffee is percolating and it is nice and warm - or maybe it just feels warm because its cold in the outhouse. Either way this is when I start waking whoever is along up and they have no complaints. If they do I just dump a finger or two of bourbon in their coffee cup.

I like propane appliances. Stoves, heaters, and lanterns. They light quick and are easy to use. However, I have accumulated a bunch of older coleman stuff I'd like to rebuild and try out. I also have a couple kerosene lanterns, one that belonged to my grand pa. I really like the light they put off and they are low maintenance and cheap also.

Putting up camp is fun. Camping in tents is fun. Taking down and packing up in cold wet weather can bring the suck. Minimize your equipment, keep stuff that can't get wet in the truck if you even think it might rain. Keep camp picked up and clean as you go during the weekend. Pack things to where they are ready to use when you unpack them next time.

Tent and chuckwagon I picked up from a fine gentleman on here

Not sure, think it was in the low 20's that night. Note the sissy in the sleeping bag, hence the heater is running....

Current hunting shack. I got tire of taking down and setting up the other tent every time I went out to the lease. Working out pretty good so far.

I love the modern day chuck wagon. WIth a much food as we end up taking to the ranch a whole trailer would be great.

cheers
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/12/14 05:00 PM

Woke up the first morning of my first ever elk hunt, and it was 9 degrees in the tent. It took some courage to get out of the bag that morning. Needless to say, the heater ran all night, every night, for the remainder of that hunt. We use the small catalytic heaters, and try to set them where the heat is directed under the cot, and rises up evenly under it. Bottles usually don't last all night, so I make sure there is a spare within reach so i don't have to get out of the sleeping bag to change it out.

I will also throw a couple of hand warmers under a pillow to keep it from getting too cold. One or two at the bottom of a sleeping bag can keep your feet nice and toasty.

50 degrees, to me, is perfect tenting weather. Only need a heater to break the chill in the mornings, but great to sleep in.

I have a 0 degree canvas/flannel lined bag, and 4 of the old heavy wool moving blankets. Temperature range dictates how I arrange them, but I can stay warm in very cold weather when necessary. What you sleep on is as important as what you sleep in or under.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/13/14 02:16 AM

Another fond memory!
Posted By: Chris2326

Re: Does anybody do the tent thing at their lease or ranch - 11/14/14 04:05 AM

I agree that it's all about the bag. I have a 0 degree mummy bag and have been nice and toasty at night even when the temp drops into the low teens. Going to take a leak in the middle of the night, that's a differerent story!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum