Texas Hunting Forum

Binoculars for kids

Posted By: booger

Binoculars for kids - 11/03/14 04:27 PM

I have 2 boys that love to hunt and need a couple of pair of binoculars for them. Any one have suggestions? Honestly know that they are 10 and 8 so I am not looking for the latest and greatest but something that they can use and have for a while.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/03/14 04:35 PM

My boy has some of these my brother gave him for Christmas a few years ago.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bushnell...457?N=353142553

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/03/14 04:45 PM

Thanks

Any other recommendations?
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/03/14 04:54 PM

I got my daughter some like this. I actually like these myself.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/leupold-bird-watching-for-dummies-book-and-8x25-binoculars-kit~p~83510/

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/03/14 05:22 PM

Buy the mid to lower end binoculars, eventually they will forget them somewhere. When I bought our son and nephews binoculars, they took care of their equipment, but within a few years they all turned MIA. By then 2 of them found out they were old enough to buy their own replacement. Our son, we replaced. $40 to $50 is a plenty of binocular for most of the hunting in Texas, their eyes are young, most of them can see better than we do, these are a "toy" for the youngsters.

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/03/14 07:04 PM

That's kind of what I am thinking too. I have bought my oldest son his own rifle and have one in the safe for the youngest as well. They are not top of the line but good guns for a kids first gun. Thinking I would spend a little on a pair for each of them and not have them always wanting to use MINE!! LOL
I have an old pair of 7x35 that are finally wearing out... I have had them since I was about 12 and I'm about to turn 44!!

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/04/14 01:35 AM

Any suggestions on make/model/retailer to check on?
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/04/14 02:08 AM

why don't you take them to academy, let them look through a bunch, decide how much you are comfortable spending and then limit them to those that are under the price. Since their eyes are different from yours, they may like the how the Game Winner ones look or maybe they will like the one of the other cheaper brands. I have two pairs of Redfield 10x50's that I got for around $120 each at Academy. I looked at the Nikon's, Luepold's and the Bushnells in the $100-$150 and liked the Redfields the most. We take them with us when we hunt and the two kids and I share them along with some el-cheap-o Bausch and Lomb guys that I got for free somewhere. The B&L ones are terrible and neither of my kids will use them.

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/04/14 02:21 AM

Thinking of Xmas gift is the main reason.
Posted By: Spoonbillakilla

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/06/14 04:43 PM

I bought the Bushnell Legend HD 8x42 binoculars for my 9 year old last Christmas and they are excellent. Right now they have a $100 rebate so I'm thinking of getting a pair for me. $99 for these binoculars is just too good to pass up:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598315-REG/Bushnell_198042_8x42_Legend_Ultra_HD.html
Posted By: FOsteology

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/06/14 07:35 PM

Leupold Yosemite 6x30mm

Designed specifically for kids.

Perfect eye spacing for kids, light weight, compact design for small hands, good eye relief and very easy to get behind. Don't let the price tag fool you (under 100) as the optics are very good.

The 8x30mm is nowhere near as good. Sometimes, less is more.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=74014&highlight=Yosemite

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/06/14 10:48 PM

Thanks guys. This is the kind of info I was looking for!!

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/09/14 11:42 PM

Just ordered 2 pair of the Bushnell 8x42's and 2 shoulder harnesses from Amazon for $13 each!!

May be early Christmas presents from Mom and Dad!
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/09/14 11:47 PM

I started Joshua off with a pair of Nikon Action 10X50. They are still going strong after 8 years of abuse.
Posted By: janie

Re: Binoculars for kids - 11/10/14 01:51 AM

Don't over look pawn shops. We picked up a nice Barska binocular for $20.00. Agree with the other's. Take your kid's with and let them look thru several different model's.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum