Texas Hunting Forum

What county am I in?

Posted By: Timothyodell

What county am I in? - 10/20/14 03:14 PM

How can I tell what county I'm hunting in? I am on the border of navarro and freestone, but not sure which one to mark on the deer tag. We drive a ways on a dirt road to get where I hunt where there are no signs. Is there a website I can go to that has like a Google Earth view but shows the county lines on it?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 03:22 PM

scratch what county is the deer from flag
Posted By: TXMachinist

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 03:27 PM

Call the game warden to come out. That will be a huge feather in your hat with him.
Posted By: red bluff

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 03:28 PM

You can use Websoil survey. com locate your place then use the Identify button.
It will give you the county and the lat/long of the point you selected.

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
scratch what county is the deer from flag

csi ya may be in Navarro county, & its a Freestone deer. flag

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 03:35 PM

U hunting a lease or public land flag
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 03:36 PM

First, find yourself on a map (whatever you are using), then find that location on either of the following maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Navarro+County,+TX/@31.9961729,-96.4147021,11z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x864f2bf342549b29:0x71151d4d3a0faf70

You will have to flip back and forth between the line drawing view and the satellite view, but this should get it for you.

And for Freestone...
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Freestone+County,+TX/@31.7534889,-96.1526985,10z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8648bb9d828788d7:0xa8cdb2f4c9e30cd7
Posted By: Timothyodell

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 03:40 PM

Lease

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
First, find yourself on a map (whatever you are using), then find that location on either of the following maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Navarro+County,+TX/@31.9961729,-96.4147021,11z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x864f2bf342549b29:0x71151d4d3a0faf70

You will have to flip back and forth between the line drawing view and the satellite view, but this should get it for you.

And for Freestone...
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Freestone+County,+TX/@31.7534889,-96.1526985,10z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8648bb9d828788d7:0xa8cdb2f4c9e30cd7

cheers now that's high-tech. sounds like ya may be hunting public land. GW will show some pardon spelling, leanyanse. don't have old book with, make educated guess, write in name of public land. whin had a lease, we had to give the lease a name. if lease owner could tell ya what county. best wishes congrats on deer flag

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Timothyodell
Lease

rofl your post beat mine. land owner should know the county. it has land on both counties flag

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 04:00 PM

How can I tell what county I'm hunting in? I am on the border of navarro and freestone, but not sure which one to mark on the deer tag. We drive a ways on a dirt road to get where I hunt where there are no signs. Is there a website I can go to that has like a Google Earth view but shows the county lines on it?

roads, rivers & such usualy make boundry lines. flag
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 04:06 PM

Download a something like MotionX-GPS on your phone and mark a waypoint at the stand(s) you are hunting (and name them/the waypoints). Then you can email the points to yourself. When you open the file up, you can open in google earth/google maps. Will show the GPS coordinates of the exact spots you are hunting.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 04:08 PM

I hunted a ranch that had a county line cutting through about half way. Ask the game warden about it for tag purposes and was told to reference the county that had the homestead. Ranch house was Mills County. North part of the ranch was Comanche County. We used Mills on tag

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 04:35 PM

cheers some good info here flag
Posted By: KG68

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 04:36 PM

We had a deer shot in Mills county a few years ago and crossed the Colorado river into San Saba county before succumbing to his injury. Go figure how to tag that one.

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: KG68
We had a deer shot in Mills county a few years ago and crossed the Colorado river into San Saba county before succumbing to his injury. Go figure how to tag that one.

Tough call but I personally would have listed Mills County on the tag.

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 04:46 PM

popcorn this is a tough crowed flag

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: landsurveyor

cheers its were the deer grew up flag
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 05:02 PM

If the county line intersected the property, I would put the county where camp is located. If camp is off property, I would put the county where the entrance is located. A quick call to the warden to ask would be in order. That way, if you do get stopped by the warden, then there will be no question as to whether or not you filled it out properly.

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 05:17 PM

bang cheaper ta go to store rofl scratch that thar credit adviser looks smarter & smarter. dang loopholes person bust thar a$$ at work, boss is always right, they payen lawers ta sit around. & now it getting inta hunten. its scary. popcorn debait goes on flag

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 06:09 PM

The deer had probably just come across the river from San Saba county a few minutes before being shot.

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 07:00 PM

The deer had probably just come across the river from San Saba county a few minutes before being shot.
so how did ya tag it flag

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 08:13 PM

The hunter tagged it as San Saba County. Mills county is under AR's with one 13" and over buck and SS county is not under AR's. As a note the hunter did not shoot a buck in Mills that year or in the years since that time.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 09:15 PM

You can take the deer out of the county but you can't take the county out of the deer.

-Mickey

Re: What county am I in? - 10/20/14 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose

You can take the deer out of the county but you can't take the county out of the deer.

-Mickey

rofl clap
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: What county am I in? - 10/21/14 01:41 PM

So, if someone were to lease a ranch that crossed two counties and each county was a one buck county, could you legally shoot two bucks? One from each county.

Re: What county am I in? - 10/21/14 01:50 PM

The hunter tagged it as San Saba County. Mills county is under AR's with one 13" and over buck and SS county is not under AR's. As a note the hunter did not shoot a buck in Mills that year or in the years since that time.
up

Re: What county am I in? - 10/21/14 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose

-Mickey

rofl flag

Re: What county am I in? - 10/21/14 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
So, if someone were to lease a ranch that crossed two counties and each county was a one buck county, could you legally shoot two bucks? One from each county.

scratch that's a good question. years ago had taken buck during archery. called TPWD asked if could go hunt a different county, public land, that was a 2 buck county, but the compartment was a 1 buck only. was told yes, just make sure i used the 2 buck county tag. they keep changing laws, so would call TPWD flag

Re: What county am I in? - 10/21/14 04:53 PM

scratch that's a good question. years ago had taken buck during archery. called TPWD asked if could go hunt a different county, public land, that was a 2 buck county, but the compartment was a 1 buck only. was told yes, just make sure i used the 2 buck county tag. they keep changing laws, so would call TPWD flag

All this deep thinking is making my brain swell.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: What county am I in? - 10/21/14 05:42 PM

Yes. I had that exact situation for 11 years. 7000 acres with a little over half of it in Scurry county and the rest in Fisher county.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: What county am I in? - 11/25/14 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
Yes. I had that exact situation for 11 years. 7000 acres with a little over half of it in Scurry county and the rest in Fisher county.

So if your deer stand is in scrurry county and feeder is in fisher confused do you tag the deer in the county it was shot in or shot from?

Re: What county am I in? - 11/25/14 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: bossbowman
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die

So if your deer stand is in scrurry county and feeder is in fisher confused do you tag the deer in the county it was shot in or shot from?

ya drag the deer ta wich ever county ya seeing less deer, & tag it. rofl scratch I would say: were deer is shot. csi good question. my posts are cheap. this is a good thread. flag
Posted By: postoak

Re: What county am I in? - 11/25/14 06:02 PM

Google earth *does* show county lines; make sure "Borders and Labels" is checked on.

Use a gps to get the latitude and longitude of where your stands are and map them on google earth.

Re: What county am I in? - 11/25/14 06:21 PM

All this deep thinking is making my brain swell.

cheers now a days ya need a lawyer just ta hunt. take that thar deer shot in Mills Co. &recovered in San Saba Co. tis guessing U had legal permission ta hunt both Counties. or it could have been illegaly taken. yah, good thread. it got me muyloco i just a pee-on. worked for a living, using idiot-stick. paying the price now. confused2 flag

Re: What county am I in? - 11/25/14 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak

Google earth *does* show county lines; make sure "Borders and Labels" is checked on.

Use a gps to get the latitude and longitude of where your stands are and map them on google earth.

have U had chance ta talk ta landowner, or person in charge of lease. if property is in both counties, he may be paying Taxes in both counties. an bill would go to their address. As some one mentioned earlier, that might hold key. best wishes. Hope ya get it figured out. flag
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: What county am I in? - 11/25/14 08:26 PM

heck, just take your best guess
Posted By: trjscout

Re: What county am I in? - 11/26/14 03:57 AM

can you shot a buck in each county if its a one buck county?
Posted By: postoak

Re: What county am I in? - 11/26/14 07:17 PM

The real question is what if your blind is in one county, you shoot a deer standing in the next county, and he runs off and dies in a third county. How do you tag it?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What county am I in? - 11/26/14 07:50 PM

In the original county the deer was first standing in when it got shot

Re: What county am I in? - 11/26/14 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: trjscout
can you shot a buck in each county if its a one buck county?

scratch depends on if ya be using buck-shot or a slug. rofl did U know that bigger slugs are much slower than the smaller ones. lost a quarder on a slug race one time. yagh, got it on a tredmill for de last few days, gonna double down on de next race. get my quarterback flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum