Texas Hunting Forum

Know your knots?

Posted By: J.G.

Know your knots? - 08/18/14 12:39 AM

As a Fireman I've had to learn and maintian the ability to use many knots. They come easy to me, but I've seen plenty of guys that have a hard time learning them and a harder time remembering them. Knowing a few knots are a valuable tool for the tool box, especially for a hunter. The ones I use most often are, in order:

Bowline (utility)
Butterfly (life safety)
Figure 8 on a bite (life safety)
Square (utility)
Clove hitch (utility)
Double Fisherman (life safety)
Figure 8 on a double bite (life safety)
Water Knot (life safety with webbing)
Figure 8 follow through (life safety)

A life safety knot is (in the fire service) acceptable to rely on for putting the weight of a person. A utility knot is not acceptable. A bowline used to be acceptable and with a safety knot added I'd trust it, but that's not how it is classified any longer. A life safety knot can also be a utility knot, a utility knot can never be a life safety knot.

With those 8 knots I believe you can do anything you will ever need to do with a rope.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 12:47 AM

Good advice, now I need to hit Google and see how to tie these knots!
Posted By: Nick1

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 12:50 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Hey, thanks for the work you do. Your service to keeping us safe is appreciated.

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas
Good advice, now I need to hit Google and see how to tie these knots!

Was hoping I wasn't going to be asked to take pics of these knots. That's been done many times. grin

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Nick1
Thanks for the heads up. Hey, thanks for the work you do. Your service to keeping us safe is appreciated.

Thank you for the kind words.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 01:32 AM

I teach knots when I lecture freshman animal science courses. It is a life skill many folks simply do not possess any more.

Most folks would also find quick release knots, clove hitches, and hay/tent knots(basically a way to tie a loop and tighten a rope) handy
Posted By: Cellis1981

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 01:33 AM

I know it's been said but I'll say it again. Thanks for your service! If you ever make it down this way hit me up and I'll buy ya a beer! cheers
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 01:33 AM

My Dad was in the Navy so I had to learn how to tie a lot of different knots when I was younger. I have not tied a lot of them in many years now so it would take me some practice to do some of them now.

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 01:54 AM

Dangit!!! Forgot to list the clove hitch! Thank you.

Going back to edit.

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 02:03 AM

Trucker's hitch, I use every week. Some call it a hay haulers hitch.

Anchor one end with a bowline. In the middle of the line, somewhat close to the other anchor you're going to tie a butterfly. Take the running end through the other anchor back to the butterfly and use the butterfly as a pulley. We need pics here to make it understandable. You then have made a 3:1 haul system with nothing but rope. You can tighten the rope tigher than dicks hatband. That's whay Colt may be referring to on a tent line. I use it to suck down a piece of lumber or steel that's resting on a closed tailgate to keep it from sliding side to side.

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 02:03 AM

Deal!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 02:13 AM

Thanks for the reminder to brush up on the knot tying. I have had to use my favorite lately AKA the big-o-booger knot.

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 02:18 AM

I was wondering who it would be that would bring up the "if ya can't tie a knot, tie a lot".

The key factors to a good knot are: easy to recognize, easy to tie, and easy to untie even after being loaded.

The bowline and the butterfly are two that really impress me. I've loaded 1/2" rope tied with those knots with hundreds of pounds and was still able to untie them. I have hung my life off of all of the life safety knots I listed. The highest I've done that is 110 feet. Once you learn how to tie them, and figure out how stout good rope and hardware is it's not as scary as it seems.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Trucker's hitch, I use every week. Some call it a hay haulers hitch.

Anchor one end with a bowline. In the middle of the line, somewhat close to the other anchor you're going to tie a butterfly. Take the running end through the other anchor back to the butterfly and use the butterfly as a pulley. We need pics here to make it understandable. You then have made a 3:1 haul system with nothing but rope. You can tighten the rope tigher than dicks hatband. That's whay Colt may be referring to on a tent line. I use it to suck down a piece of lumber or steel that's resting on a closed tailgate to keep it from sliding side to side.

10-4. One of my most used knots.

Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Nick1

^^^

Thanks! texas

I'll also buy you a beer if your ever in Fort Worth!
Posted By: h20thief

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 12:09 PM

www.animatedknots.com

Most knots are shown but a few used in the fire service are not.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 01:17 PM

"NOT"

I was in the Navy, but I'm REAL good at this kind! peep

(...Devil made me do it)

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 02:09 PM

Backlash that leads to bird's nest. I'm good at those too!
Posted By: Hill Country Stalker

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 02:21 PM

Yup, know every one of those mention and then a few more. Learned them will on a confined space rescue team and also through the fire service. I would encourage everyone to look these up and become proficient with using them. It may save your life one day

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 03:12 PM

Yes. These are the ones I think every man the gets out and does things should know. I know many more as well, but didnt want the list to be too overwhelming.

Munter hitch is another handy one to creat a friction brake for lowering. Most guys wont have the carabiners we use but you can get the add-on chain links from TSC or one of the hardware stores that can be pretty handy. Just dont exceed their load rating.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Know your knots? - 08/18/14 03:25 PM

I know the square knot on that list and I think that's it.

I wasn't a boy scout either. ive never had trouble with stuff I tied down comin loose I think i'll be ok.
Posted By: ckat

Re: Know your knots? - 08/19/14 06:01 AM

"A knot is not a knot without a safety knot."

I love the butterfly. Makes me wonder why the "put a loop in it" knot (the one that you can't ever get out once loaded) is ever taught...

Re: Know your knots? - 11/18/16 08:34 PM

New Year.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Know your knots? - 11/18/16 09:02 PM

I use the perfection loop and the Davey Knot fishing. Need to start using the Double Davey for larger hooks.

JR
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Know your knots? - 11/18/16 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
New Year.

Yep we were just discussing doing high angle. We need to couple times year to stay fresh!
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: Know your knots? - 11/18/16 09:52 PM

I've been a big wall rock climber for many years now, and am also on a fire service rope rescue team.. I know more knots than I could begin to count.

We use exclusively the figure 8 follow thru and on a bight, clove hitch, butterfly, water knot, Munter hitch, double fishermans, Prussik, and munter mule knot all for life safety and rescue. Used correctly the clove hitch is an acceptable life safety knot too. I use it frequently in anchors and rigging high up on the wall. I've never seen the use of the double figure 8 personally. The figure 8 is more than strong enough for a 2 person load. It's a good knot but I don't use it. Occasionally I use a self equalizing figure 8.

I never use the fishermans safety knot anymore for anything. Years ago that was the best safety knot to know, but now we use the Yosemite tuck as a safety for a figure 8. It is much simpler, won't come untied and uses less rope

I never use the death knot, aka square knot but can see its usefulness as a utility knot. I just don't use it. Doesn't hold well and is easily tied wrong.

A great utility knot for camping and general utility is the taught line hitch. It works great for tent cords and tensioning a utility line.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Know your knots? - 11/18/16 10:05 PM

I've used my Aztec rig more than once while hunting. Typically to hoist an animal into the bed of the mule, not for rescue.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Know your knots? - 11/18/16 10:21 PM

Dang it JG! Now I am going to have to come take a knot tying class with you.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Know your knots? - 11/18/16 11:32 PM

Here are a few useful knots unmentioned so far.

The taut line hitch is very useful for tent lines, and similar.

Also very helpful are the sheet bend and the better variant the double sheet bend, which are used to tie together two ropes of different diameter.

Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: Know your knots? - 11/18/16 11:33 PM

Appreciate your service! Great listen and reminder to brush up.
Posted By: TXHunterKLewis

Re: Know your knots? - 11/21/16 06:40 AM

I use an app called knots 3d. Has some useful stuff. It was free.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Know your knots? - 11/21/16 01:39 PM

Sheesh. I'm so bad at tying knots I started wearing only slip on boots and invested in ratchet straps hammer
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum