Texas Hunting Forum

Got a ? about MZ

Posted By: dryland_fish

Got a ? about MZ - 12/06/08 09:24 PM

New to hunting here in Texas...Im thinking about getting a Rem. MZ could i get alot of use aout of it are would i be wasting my money? Thanks yall

Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Got a ? about MZ - 12/06/08 10:16 PM

I know, call me a dumb arse. But i assume you are talking about a muzzle loader. that is totaly up to you, but the season is only 2 weeks long and you can only kill spikes and does. That dont mean you cant hunt with it during the general gun seaon though.
Not sure if i was much help, i have been tossing around the same idea.

Posted By: helomech

Re: Got a ? about MZ - 12/06/08 10:26 PM

Quote:

New to hunting here in Texas...Im thinking about getting a Rem. MZ could i get alot of use aout of it are would i be wasting my money? Thanks yall

I have one with about 8 rounds through it, I bought it to hunt in La., but moved here and they have no muzzle loader season. So for me it was a waste.

Posted By: twice70

Re: Got a ? about MZ - 12/06/08 11:07 PM

Hang on to it Helo, I hear next year we might have a late muzzle loader season here after the general season closes. I may have to buy me one....

Posted By: helomech

Re: Got a ? about MZ - 12/06/08 11:18 PM

Quote:

Hang on to it Helo, I hear next year we might have a late muzzle loader season here after the general season closes. I may have to buy me one....

Man that would be great. I was thinking about getting rid of it. The only reason it isn't already gone is that I hate getting rid of a gun. I have sold one gun in my life and I have regreted it ever since.

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Got a ? about MZ - 12/07/08 02:44 AM

I bought a CVA hawkins when I was stationed in MS. Pretty much a wate of $. Looked cool on my mantel though. I never could get it where I trusted the shot.

Posted By: jdickey

Re: Got a ? about MZ - 12/07/08 08:47 PM

Quote:

There's not much of a muzzy season in Texas....YET! There is a new proposal for next year to extend and expand the season, but only in certain counties, and most of those will be in east Texas.

If you're still in Brownfield, you could put in for muzzy hunts in New Mexico!

Posted By: cajundave

Re: Got a ? about MZ - 12/08/08 03:59 AM

That would be nice. A few COE lands used to allow them, but that's changed.

Posted By: JakeSpoon

Re: Got a ? about MZ - 12/08/08 06:51 AM

Smoke Pole'n!! Yeah, fun shootin muzzleloaders, I'd say get one, and go traditional, unless you want to do serious hunting with it, then go modern! The moderns are just like normal rifles they are so accurate.

Posted By: dryland_fish

Re: Got a ? about MZ - 12/08/08 04:01 PM

Thank for the info guys....That will help me to make up my mind....See in TN where i hunted last yr they have a big muzzleloaders time to hunt.... Thanks again

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Got a ? about MZ - 12/09/08 01:43 AM

They can add all the counties they want to, but if there isn't any access to it, it ain't gonna do anyone any good.

That is the killer on Muzzle loading season in Texas.

Until they allow the killing of buck deer during the season and until they figure a way to open land up to hunters, it will not matter how many new season dates or counties they add.

The problem is and always has been lack of accessability.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum