Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder timing

Posted By: Jimbo1

Feeder timing - 10/19/13 12:51 PM

What do you all do about resetting the feeder timing with daylight savings ending on Sunday morning of opening weekend?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Feeder timing - 10/19/13 01:16 PM

timer on my feeder doesn't tell time, it keeps it flag
Posted By: Western

Re: Feeder timing - 10/19/13 01:34 PM

I leave mine alone and just "run with it". I will adjust the feed time to correlate better with the light sometimes.
Posted By: 30378

Re: Feeder timing - 10/19/13 01:41 PM

I feed year round. My clocks stay on standard time and I adjust feeding times as needed as the length of the days change. Me, the timer and the deer want the feedings more in line with the time of the year and the length of the days and could not care less about a specific time of day.
Posted By: XBowHunter

Re: Feeder timing - 10/19/13 02:06 PM

this is my first year with a feeder and i have it set for 9AM right now. when we do go back on standard time, it will be going off about day break.

but i don't what the hell i am doing, still learning.

do look forward to others opinions. wink
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Feeder timing - 10/19/13 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 30378
I feed year round. My clocks stay on standard time and I adjust feeding times as needed as the length of the days change. Me, the timer and the deer want the feedings more in line with the time of the year and the length of the days and could not care less about a specific time of day.

^^^^^^This
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeder timing - 10/19/13 02:58 PM

I feed about 15 minutes after daylight in the mornings and then around 15 minutes before sundown in the afternoons. I will sometimes feed another setting in the mornings and afternoons some years.
Most of the time now I rely on my roadfeeder for feeding deer when I am hunting or on a daily basis just to feed them. Best way to put deer in front of you I have found.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Feeder timing - 10/19/13 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I feed about 15 minutes after daylight in the mornings and then around 15 minutes before sundown in the afternoons. I will sometimes feed another setting in the mornings and afternoons some years.
Posted By: longhorn3454

Re: Feeder timing - 10/19/13 03:24 PM

We leave our feeders and cameras on what we call deer lease time (standard time). We don't change the clocks. Most of our feeders are set for 7:15am and 4:30pm, the am time gets adjusted slightly for daylight. During the off season and a little bit of bow season they throw at 8:15 and 5:30 our time right now. It just keeps us from having to adjust the feeders after the time change.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Feeder timing - 10/19/13 04:44 PM

Sunup and sundown. up
Posted By: target1911

Re: Feeder timing - 10/20/13 03:06 AM

I leave mine set at 6:30a and 5p all year
Posted By: marced

Re: Feeder timing - 10/20/13 06:32 AM

I change mine by an hour.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Feeder timing - 10/20/13 12:41 PM

Most of the time now I rely on my roadfeeder for feeding deer when I am hunting or on a daily basis just to feed them. Best way to put deer in front of you I have found.

Ye who chums the most Wins rofl
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Feeder timing - 10/20/13 12:43 PM

Little After daybreak, I sling a couple secs at 12 and then about hour before Sunset
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Feeder timing - 10/20/13 02:24 PM

7:00 std time in the morning and 3:30 or 4:00 in the afternoon. Some think my afternoon time is early, but my theory is better to have the corn on the ground the entire time I am in the stand just in case deer move early.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeder timing - 10/20/13 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Ye who chums the most Wins rofl

flehan I bow to the chum master yingyang grin
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Feeder timing - 10/20/13 05:22 PM

get one of the high daller ones that has the daylight settings on it, ya wont have ta change the timmer flag
Posted By: gollygee

Re: Feeder timing - 10/20/13 06:39 PM

When I use my road feeder I just turn the feeders off - they will not use them anyway.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Feeder timing - 10/20/13 07:35 PM

I don't typically change the actual time, just adjust for the length of the day. I like mine to go off about day break when I can just barely see and then about 2 hours before dark.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Feeder timing - 10/20/13 08:08 PM

Due to my OCD/ISTJ personality, it kills me for my timer to not have the correct time set. So, I actually change the time when DST hits, but also leave my feed times (0730 & 1630) alone. The time change seems keep the feed times where I like them. Works for me but YMMV.
Posted By: doogie

Re: Feeder timing - 10/20/13 09:51 PM

I like to feed about 10 minutes before sunrise and then about 1 hour before sunset
Posted By: TXJD2012

Re: Feeder timing - 11/15/13 02:14 AM

7 and 4 year round
Posted By: Jefferywayne

Re: Feeder timing - 11/15/13 02:19 AM

1 hr before sunrise and 1 before sunset

Re: Feeder timing - 11/15/13 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Jefferywayne

problem with 1 hour before sun up is the deer have a potential to eat all the feed before the sun is up.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Feeder timing - 11/15/13 02:34 AM

6am and 4pm year round
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Feeder timing - 11/15/13 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: doogie

problem with 1 hour before sun up is the deer have a potential to eat all the feed before the sun is up.
They certainly will. Nothing worse than getting to your stand and deer are already under the feeder.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Feeder timing - 11/15/13 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid

They certainly will. Nothing worse than getting to your stand and deer are already under the feeder.
Well after further consideration I have come to conclude there are worse things, like seeing no deer at all, days on end.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Feeder timing - 11/15/13 02:28 PM

If you are hunting feeders, it makes zero sense to have the timers set to go off when it is too dark to kill. 7 and 4 does the trick year around.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Feeder timing - 11/15/13 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
I don't typically change the actual time, just adjust for the length of the day. I like mine to go off about day break when I can just barely see and then about 2 hours before dark.

Yep
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Feeder timing - 11/15/13 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo1
What do you all do about resetting the feeder timing with daylight savings ending on Sunday morning of opening weekend?

I'm anal about my feeders. I fill them up every month, and every time I do I look at the sunrise/sunset charts and split the difference for the month. I also change the clock when we have a time change. I like my feeders to go off when there is just enough light to see & be able to tell a spike from a 4 pointer at 100 yrds. In the evenings I like one hour before dark. I'm so anal that I will actually sit there looking at my clock to adjust the time to the very second that the time/clock changes. loco I like all of the feeders to go off at the same time, I have no idea why I am this way but I just am. OCD for sure. During deer season I also feed the roads. The deer hit the roads and the feeders, sometimes road first sometimes feeder first. I hate for a feeder to go off too early and have deer there that you can't make out.
Posted By: mow

Re: Feeder timing - 11/17/13 11:24 PM

15 minutes before legal shooting..which is 45 minutes before sunrise..and about 1 and a half hours before sundown..

Re: Feeder timing - 11/18/13 03:34 AM

Based on current time I have enough sunlight in the morning on a clear day to shoot around 6:45 am and I have my feeder go off at 6:30 am. I like to be in blind and settled in by 6:00 am.

In the evening I noticed that I do not have enough light to shoot around 6:00pm. I have my feeder go off at 5:00pm and like to be in my blind not later than 4:30
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Feeder timing - 11/18/13 03:58 AM

When the deer went nocturnal, we start setting the feeders for later in the morning and earlier in the afternoon. Also set them for shorter spin times.
Posted By: cabledad

Re: Feeder timing - 11/18/13 04:11 AM

One of the most successful hog feeders I have ever been around was timed to feed for 1 second in the afternoon early.It was going that way ever day for a long time. We would go in to the lease go back and kill a hog.This lease was off the beaten path in Carrizo Springs probably 25 years ago.

Re: Feeder timing - 11/03/17 06:27 AM

-
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Feeder timing - 11/03/17 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: longhorn3454
We leave our feeders and cameras on what we call deer lease time (standard time). We don't change the clocks. Most of our feeders are set for 7:15am and 4:30pm, the am time gets adjusted slightly for daylight. During the off season and a little bit of bow season they throw at 8:15 and 5:30 our time right now. It just keeps us from having to adjust the feeders after the time change.

THIS! We called it "Deer" time.

Ours were 7 & 4 and during the first few weeks, if we were seeing turkeys or other critters, we'd set 4 times - at 7 & 7:45, 4 & 4:45. The idea was that once they cleaned it up they'd leave and then the timer would go off again......
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Feeder timing - 11/07/17 08:40 PM

Mine has a photo cell so it goes off 1hr after sunrise and 1hr before sunset.

Z
Posted By: chrswr

Re: Feeder timing - 11/08/17 02:22 PM

730 morning for 20 seconds
1200 noon for 5 secondes
500 afternoon for 10
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Feeder timing - 11/08/17 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: chrswr
730 morning for 20 seconds
1200 noon for 5 secondes
500 afternoon for 10

20 second bah gawd!
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Feeder timing - 11/08/17 02:40 PM

I like your schedule where I hunt evening hunts are rarely successful deer seem to come out late my feeder goes off 5:45 am seems early but great deer activity afternoon 4:15 pm.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum