Texas Hunting Forum

rain report east of big lake

Posted By: smithwr

rain report east of big lake - 05/10/13 10:12 PM

I know quite a few of you lease university land and thought y'all would like a report. I'm about 5 miles east from the end of Ferguson road. It rained hard and fast for 2 hours and slow and steady for a couple more hours this afternoon with pea size hail.

I can see a bunch of box blinds on towers painted brown from my location i know that's a pretty vague description but maybe someone can use it. Have a good weekend.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/11/13 06:08 PM

It rained pretty good here in Barnhart, too. My lease is down the road just across the county line in Schleicher County. Wondering if it rained there. Haven't had a chance to drive down there, yet.
Posted By: WNPHNTR

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/12/13 04:30 PM

Hey Sneaky..I'm curious about the Barnhart/ Mertzon area as far as the deer herd numbers go. I've heard conflicting reports.But most reports say the area is severely burnt up and deer are way way down in numbers. What's your take?

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/12/13 06:15 PM

If nobody had told me that the numbers were down, I wouldn't know. I've only been working in the area the last year or so, and I can't compare, but I see a lot of deer around here and some good ones, too. Some of the area is burned, but most is not. It is in a severe drought, but so is everywhere else. I haven't hunted here, yet, but I have high expectations. I like it enough to have got the lease, anyway.
Posted By: WNPHNTR

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/12/13 07:56 PM

Thanks and good luck..keep an eye out for fawns.
The fawn crop will really tell you what's going on with the deer.

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/12/13 09:16 PM

Hopefully I can get a few feeders up, soon, and get a camera on them to see what I've got.
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/13/13 01:27 AM

Thank-you for the report !! We are about a mile/ mile and a half down Ferguson road starting just south of the huge gas plant on 9000 acres. You just made my day !! Just praying we got some of that rain too !!
Posted By: T.Hinrichs

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/14/13 07:59 PM

I'm pretty sure it just passed over those parts, hrd they only got a tenth.
Posted By: waco73

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/18/13 02:38 AM

any one hunt the owens ranch
Posted By: T.Hinrichs

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/18/13 01:45 PM

Got an inch and half earlier this week east of big lake. I used to work in Ozona . Owens country is good deer country. They always bag some good deer. I ran a side deer processing on the side in Ozona for two years. Some of the biggest bucks we got in came from Owens place

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/18/13 03:56 PM

thats good news thanks

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/18/13 04:06 PM

I heard the deer pop was way down and that there drilling everywhere.Hunted in Terell county last year on pumpville road,that was a pretty good lease lots of mulleys,but its a little overhunted

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/18/13 05:37 PM

Yeah, there's a lot of oilfield traffic right now, but I see deer all around us all the time. It didn't stop me from getting a lease here.

Rain is going to be a much bigger factor than drilling.

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/18/13 07:00 PM

are you on the owens? were you hunting if your on the owens my dad and me and a buddy from new mexico are on the south willams pasture,I know its prob. not the pick of the litter being that we wre the last one s on but could you tell me a little about it my dads coming in from AZ, i talked them into getting lease hope its good.

Re: rain report east of big lake - 05/18/13 07:15 PM

I'm not on the Owens. I'm on a place between Mertzon and Barnhart. I work all around Barnhart.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum