Texas Hunting Forum

Write your serial numbers down!

Posted By: mark in tx

Write your serial numbers down! - 03/10/13 02:31 PM

If you haven't done it already, or you can't find your list, write the serial numbers of your guns down and keep it in a safe place.
I learned it the hard way when I let a friend borrow a rifle and it was stolen out of his truck.
Savage model 110 in 25-06.
Gone.
Cop took the report and I have been kicking myself ever since because I did not have that serial written down, lost the original receipt years ago and the dealer retired 10 years ago.

Go do it now!
Posted By: Payne

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/10/13 02:35 PM

Do that and take pics, make multiple copies of the list and pics. Store in safe places. Like parents, in-laws or work.
I keep mine on sd cards and have them stored here and there.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/10/13 04:19 PM

I need to; I've been meaning to do that for a long time now.
Posted By: HeidelbergJaeger

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/10/13 04:48 PM

Make sure if you have home owner's insurance that you notify the insurance company of your serial numbers and it should fall under valuable personal property much like computers or jewelry.

USAA does this for me, and all of my rifles, scopes, binos and anything with a SN are covered in case of damage, loss or theft.
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/10/13 05:51 PM

X2 on pics. Also take pictures of your safe and it's not a bad idea to give your serial numbers to your insurance agent to put with your policy.
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/10/13 08:01 PM

Do this for not only your guns but anything valuable. Tv,s, guitars, tools, computers etc. don't keep your only copy of it on your computer or laptop either because those items are typically stolen too. I keep a spreadsheet on my home computer with copies on a thumb drive at my parents and in my locker at work.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/10/13 08:03 PM

Make a photo record with serial numbers and put the info in document form, or a pdf. Email that to yourself and give a copy to your insurance agent. That way if you need the info, you have it all in your emails and accessible from any computer.
Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/11/13 04:58 AM

I just started working on a home inventory and I can tell you that it is a royal pAint trying to write down everything you own. But we'll worth it.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/11/13 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Payne
Do that and take pics, make multiple copies of the list and pics. Store in safe places. Like parents, in-laws or work.
I keep mine on sd cards and have them stored here and there.
[quote=Payne]
X2
Posted By: moderno

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/11/13 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A
I just started working on a home inventory and I can tell you that it is a royal pAint trying to write down everything you own. But we'll worth it.

Tell me about it. I did all mine about a year ago. Pictures, serial #'s and insured them.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/11/13 05:46 PM

I also take off the butt plate and wtite my DL # on the stock with a permanent marker.
Posted By: LinkATX

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/11/13 07:06 PM

I just take a clear picture with my phone and email it to myself (gmail). Doesn't get much more permanent than that!
Posted By: 750SOHC

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/11/13 07:31 PM

Just curious, cause I was just talking to my wife about doing this. IS there anything wrong with just taking pics, as long as they show the Serial #?
Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/12/13 03:40 AM

My son and a couple of his buddies wanted to go out plinking snakes, etc. I told them yes, but they had to get all the guns out of safe, write down model and serial number, plus take pictures.
They liked seeing all I had, I realized I want more and still took care of something I should have done years ago.
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/12/13 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: GUTIT
My son and a couple of his buddies wanted to go out plinking snakes, etc. I told them yes, but they had to get all the guns out of safe, write down model and serial number, plus take pictures.
They liked seeing all I had, I realized I want more and still took care of something I should have done years ago.

Ah slave labor at it's finest clap
Posted By: Mohawg

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/12/13 01:10 PM

The pics work fine, as long as they are clear and you can read the numbers.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/12/13 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: LinkATX
I just take a clear picture with my phone and email it to myself (gmail). Doesn't get much more permanent than that!

Works right up until you flush your phone.....
Or you lose it and someone else then knows what you have.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/12/13 03:42 PM

That's using your Noodle!! only problem is I'm so An*l I wouldnt trust them to write it down correctly smile Lotta good advice on this subject, I also made a video and gave to my Ins. Agent of not only the weapons but all contents of Mi Casa
Posted By: texas_sooner

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/12/13 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Make a photo record with serial numbers and put the info in document form, or a pdf. Email that to yourself and give a copy to your insurance agent. That way if you need the info, you have it all in your emails and accessible from any computer.

This is what I do.
Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/12/13 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

That's using your Noodle!! only problem is I'm so An*l I wouldnt trust them to write it down correctly smile Lotta good advice on this subject, I also made a video and gave to my Ins. Agent of not only the weapons but all contents of Mi Casa

Made them repeat numbers twice and I Was doing the writing. Good call on the video. That will be next.
Posted By: LinkATX

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/12/13 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Vern1
Originally Posted By: LinkATX

Works right up until you flush your phone.....
Or you lose it and someone else then knows what you have.

Except the photos will still be in my inbox. Plus my phone is password protected, and if I lost it I can remotely find it and wipe all the data. Additionally, all my photos are backed up from my phone to my iCloud.

If someone is worried about losing their phone, just delete the photos from your phone after they've been emailed. No rocket science involved!
Posted By: progress4m

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/12/13 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: MeanGreen85

Ah slave labor at it's finest clap

I like it! smile
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/12/13 10:29 PM

good advice for all of us
Posted By: maximum

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/13/13 03:01 AM

i've did that a long time ago.

don't just trust only an electronic
something, physically write it down
in a ledger or notebook so you won't
have to plug something in to retrieve
your info. if you're in a storm or flood
and have no power and all your info is
buried under 2 feet of stinky mud or
your i phone shorted out from a salt
water storm surge, you'll be glad you
had a backup, and you'll kick yourself
in the a$$ if you didn't.

two lists- two different places
Posted By: target1911

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/13/13 03:39 AM

I learned too. Had 7 guns stolen and only S/N for 4.
Posted By: flyby

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/13/13 08:00 AM

Yep, serial numbers and pics. Saved on thumb drives. One in the safe, one stored at work.
Posted By: csmith936

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/13/13 10:30 AM

This reminds me that I need to do that when I get home!!! Ive been putting it off for too long now!!
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/13/13 04:08 PM

Thanks for the reminder. Yep need to update spread sheet, .jpg print and email to storage account.
Posted By: Hill Country Stalker

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/13/13 04:17 PM

How many of you have had guns stolen, gave the police and/or insurance company the serial numbers and actually got them back?

just curious on what percentage are actually found and returned
Posted By: Moondog

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/13/13 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Hill Country Stalker
How many of you have had guns stolen, gave the police and/or insurance company the serial numbers and actually got them back?

Interesting question.

Many, many years ago my grandfather had a rifle stolen in a home burglary. Rifle was gone for 7 years until one day the police called and had confiscated it from a pawn shop.

Returned no worse for the wear.
Posted By: target1911

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/14/13 01:29 AM

I'm in the process of getting one back, glock 34, from Antioch CA police. It was found in gang bangers car who had used it in a drive by. Thankfully no one was hurt. On 3/24 He was sentenced to 4yrs on a plea bargain.

Mine were stolen 6-15-10. A year later they found the glock. Still waiting to find the others.
Posted By: zederwatz

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/14/13 02:03 AM

Keep a copy of list in the safety deposit box at bank and have it also on inside back cover of Shooter's Bible, Gun Digest and Used Gun Values. Also put the info (model, caliber and type) on page in the gun book since most show the picture.
Posted By: shaggysnack

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/15/13 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Hill Country Stalker

I did. My wife had her CHL and left her 380 in her car when she had the car worked on at a dealership (stupid wife). She thought about it when she got home and realized it was gone. I immediatly called police and filed a report with SN and then followed up with the dealership. Of course, nobody claimed they stole it. Well, 6-7 months go by and I get a call telling me they recovered it when they were doing a "knock and talk" with a meth dealer. He was caught with two stolen handguns, drugs with an intent to distribute, and paraphenalia. They kept it another two years as evidence but eventually gave it back to me. The only thing that the police did not recover was the case that it was in and the sammo that was in the clip. I did get the clip back.
Posted By: Tmorgan

Re: Write your serial numbers down! - 03/15/13 07:21 PM

I always forget to add the new guns to the list.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum