Texas Hunting Forum

What CAMO do you use?

Posted By: ribsticker

What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 04:31 PM

hey everyone i need to get some new camo. whats everyones favorite? and where can i get some good but cheap stuff around dfw? im pretty new here and really only know about cabalas basspro and walmart.
Posted By: Bob in TX

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 05:08 PM

You can stay on your computer and order from two Texas companies:

Cedar Creek Camo: http://www.cedarcreekcamo.com/

Brush Country Camouflage: http://www.brushcountrycamo.com/shopping/default.htm

Cedar Creek

Brush Country

With that said, any camo that breaks up your outline will work.

Bob
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 05:14 PM

Camo is over rated. If you feel like you really need it, try Predator or ASAT. If you're going to wear camo, you might as well wear something that works.
Posted By: GLC

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 05:41 PM

Whatever is on sale, normally at Academy
Posted By: bubba57

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 06:55 PM

I usually hit Wal-Mart about this time every year. Catch the clearence sales.
Posted By: Greytshot

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 07:11 PM

I'm a Brush Country fan. Didn't realize they were a Texas company. I've found it at HEB for really cheap before.
Posted By: Creek Henry

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 07:45 PM

Cabela's Open Country or Mossy Oak Brush. But, more realistically, whatever is on sale at Academy.

I found the PERFECT upland shirt at Cabelas but it ran $70+tax... academy has a cheaper and cheaper constructed version for $20... guess which one I got.
Posted By: Harrier

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 08:03 PM

I wear woodland or desert military surplus BDUs. They're cheap and durable.
Posted By: zederwatz

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 08:25 PM

Cheap and good, in the DFW area, try Wall's factory outlet. It's on Risinger, off I-35W south. Risinger is about 2-3 miles south of 820 and I-20 on I-35W south. Go about 3/4 mile west on Risinger to a big warehouse. I've had good luck with them. Call ahead for store hours.
Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 08:52 PM

Check Ebay too. I have bought some nice scentblocker clothes in the past relatively cheap. I'd take into consideration where you will be hunting and try to match the surrounding patterns. In example I typically wear brush country in South TX, Mossy Oak infinity while bow hunting or realtree HD.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 08:54 PM

Ive killed more deer in khaki jeans and a dark green t shirt than on full camo. If you are hunting from a blind. Don't bother. If you hunt from a tree stand, any realistic camo from academy or walmart will do just fine.
Posted By: billybob

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 08:56 PM

Military ACU's
Posted By: Central Texas Hog Traps

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 10:28 PM

I have 2 seta of ACU's size XL,Long pants fit from 38-42 shirts fit like 3x
$20 a set
Posted By: cletusbodeen

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 10:33 PM

I'm a brush country camo fan. It even blends in well in Kansas wink
Posted By: cmc

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/29/13 10:35 PM

I'm a eBay fan for hunting clothes. I don't really wear camo mostly old school wool plaid but in warm weather I have some kind of bug suit that's net I put over shorts that's about it.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 02:19 AM

I like Game Guard. Max 4 ain't bad either.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 02:32 AM

I wear all the sent lock stuff. Including underwear and socks when I sit in the box blind.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 02:40 AM

Realtree
Posted By: LAstrutter

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 02:41 AM

Nat Gear
Posted By: fisher6688

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 02:44 AM

max 4 or mossy oak duck blind
Posted By: jdickey

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 02:20 PM

I grabbed some Cedar Country Camo this year. I really like their pattern and it is a very well made product. They have what I look for - heavy cloth material and extra stitching in the stress points.
Posted By: DH 1

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 02:36 PM

I hunt from blinds and don't feel the need to wear camo..
Posted By: James A

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 02:37 PM

I really like Predator camouflage good color and large splotches to break up your outline
Posted By: pyledriver

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 03:05 PM

I kinda like the open patterns and lighter colors more and more. I don't hunt blinds and usually wear brown jeans and an earth tone or Mossy Oak Brush or Break up shirt. As I get older I feel less and less need for camo. Still like it but I find myself wishing I could get the superfabric clothing in plain earth tones instead of the latest whiz-bang camo pattern.
Posted By: littlebass

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 03:05 PM

Brush country is a great camo for almost any region of the state. Another really good one is Multicam. It is now being used by the military and can be found kn some pretty high quality pieces. But then again unless I am predator hunting in the daytime, bowhunting, or something else in the wide open I prefer jeans.
Posted By: pyledriver

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 03:06 PM

+1 on multicam. As long as we're at it, the USMC Marpat patterns are pretty badarse too.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Camo is over rated. If you feel like you really need it, try Predator or ASAT. If you're going to wear camo, you might as well wear something that works.

so it works...but its over rated? there arent levels of "working," for camo, either it does or it doesnt. if it works than i wouldnt say it was over rated.
Posted By: shaggysnack

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 04:41 PM

FYI...There is a Walls outlet store in Gainsville that has some fairly inexpensive camo ($25ish or less) in a few different styles.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 04:41 PM

ASAT, it is the only way to go. just go to asat.com.

It works because it breaks up your body outline vs trying to make you blend in (a big brown/green blob.)
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC
Whatever is on sale, normally at Academy

its usually real tree

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

so it works...but its over rated? there arent levels of "working," for camo, either it does or it doesnt. if it works than i wouldnt say it was over rated.

I shouldn't have to explain that something can work and still be over rated. This is a concept learned at a very young age. I'm not sure why you've never caught on to it.

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 08:27 PM

I shouldn't have to explain that something can work and still be over rated. This is a concept learned at a very young age. I'm not sure why you've never caught on to it.

ok, thanks for not explaining it. while i do understand the concept of overration, to me, something that works regarding my hunting isnt something that can be overrated. there arent levels, or rates, of something like camo working, either it works or it doesnt.

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 09:14 PM

ok, thanks for not explaining it. while i do understand the concept of overration, to me, something that works regarding my hunting isnt something that can be overrated. there arent levels, or rates, of something like camo working, either it works or it doesnt.

Okay. I'll give it a shot. Do try to keep up.

Plaid shirts are effective for breaking up your outline
and do quite well as hunting clothing. Therefore, I see little point in buying extra clothing just for hunting when I already have something that works just as well, or close to it, as camo. So, camo works okay, but it is overrated. Most people put far too much faith in it. Believe it or not, there are varying degrees of working. It is not always a simple pass/fail. Surely you can understand that.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 09:20 PM

My list

Kuiu vias and verde
Carhart tan
Real tree max 1 and 4
Mossy oak tree stand and infinity

I worry more about the feature s of the garment then camo pattern

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 11:13 PM

Okay. I'll give it a shot. Do try to keep up.

Plaid shirts are effective for breaking up your outline
and do quite well as hunting clothing. Therefore, I see little point in buying extra clothing just for hunting when I already have something that works just as well, or close to it, as camo. So, camo works okay, but it is overrated. Most people put far too much faith in it. Believe it or not, there are varying degrees of working. It is not always a simple pass/fail. Surely you can understand that.

you're funny. follow this, say you are sitting in ur tree stand perfectly still and you get seen, whether or not you are recognized, did your camo work? no, fail.

say you are sitting in your tree stand perfectly still and you dont get seen, did your camo work? yep, pass.

simple.

although i agree that plaid (which is very underrated) will work as well, i was just interested in your rating of camo. is there a link or something where i can see the ratings?
Posted By: Octopiston

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 11:14 PM

Surplus of various kinds. I even have a ghillie set up I made.

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 11:45 PM

you're funny. follow this, say you are sitting in ur tree stand perfectly still and you get seen, whether or not you are recognized, did your camo work? no, fail.

say you are sitting in your tree stand perfectly still and you dont get seen, did your camo work? yep, pass.

simple.

although i agree that plaid (which is very underrated) will work as well, i was just interested in your rating of camo. is there a link or something where i can see the ratings?

How do you know it was the camo? Not that it matters, because that is besides the point. Overrated does not mean that it doesn't work. It means that people think too highly of it. This isn't complicated. Don't make it complicated.

I think you're just being difficult, now. Your attempt to call me out failed, and you're butt hurt because your closet resembles a Bill Jordan shrine.

You lose. Carry on.

Thanks for seeing the humor in my sarcasm.

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/30/13 11:47 PM

Oh, my ratings are my own. They are based on a very accurate research system that I like to call my opinion. It's almost as effective as fact.

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 12:03 AM

bill jordan? hardly. i buy whatever is on sale walmart or academy, gamewinner rules my closet son!

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 12:04 AM

I think you're just being difficult, now.

are you a female...mrs. sneaky?

not that it matters...
Posted By: don k

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 12:19 AM

None, I sit in my Kubota. It is camo.

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 12:35 AM

bill jordan? hardly. i buy whatever is on sale walmart or academy, gamewinner rules my closet son!

That's good. I saw Bill once in New Mexico. He seemed kind of standoffish.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 12:37 AM

Maybe he did not like your camo? grin

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 12:39 AM

I think you're just being difficult, now.

are you a female...mrs. sneaky?

Nope. Too ugly. But what if I was? Are you sexist?

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Hah! Now that you mention it, I was wearing Predator.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Hah! Now that you mention it, I was wearing Predator.

Well that arrogant snob Jordan clap
Posted By: 30378

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 12:51 AM

Whatever is on sale!
Posted By: rifleman

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I worry more about the features of the garment then camo pattern

X2...but I will find some way for top, bottom, hat/beanie to matchgrin
Posted By: Bobby Frey

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 01:25 AM

whatever is on sale. I prefer tan or green shirts with blue jeans.
Posted By: Cannon

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 06:37 AM

Loan cloth and berry face paint - all about free chase
Posted By: AmoCuernos

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 06:41 AM

Whatever color the truck is.
Posted By: sbvx67

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 08:21 AM

Originally Posted By: zederwatz
Cheap and good, in the DFW area, try Wall's factory outlet. It's on Risinger, off I-35W south. Risinger is about 2-3 miles south of 820 and I-20 on I-35W south. Go about 3/4 mile west on Risinger to a big warehouse. I've had good luck with them. Call ahead for store hours.

I ordered Walls from Sportsmans Guide. Pretty cheap.
Posted By: Stub

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 11:17 AM

Invisible ninja
Posted By: Bud1

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 12:52 PM

First look at where your hunting? How much green or brown do you need to match the land?! Here in East Texas I use Real Tree AP or APG, Mossy Oak infinity and duck blind. If I were in West Texas I'd use Mossy Oak Brush Country....choice is yours on how much/little you want to spend. I have been using Scentlock gear for the last few years, it is expensive, but the durability is excellent. Sometimes you get what you pay for?! Just my 2cents.
Posted By: cazador1022

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 01/31/13 10:18 PM

my car....animals seem act as if I was invisible
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/01/13 01:21 AM

Old worn Carhartt.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/01/13 01:25 AM

Mossy oak, several different varieties.
Posted By: boonee

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/01/13 04:00 AM

Dark colored shirt, jacket, or coat, over jeans. But I mostly hunt out of a box blind,brush pile, or pop up blind.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/01/13 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: 30378
Whatever is on sale!

X2 up
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/01/13 06:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob in TX
You can stay on your computer and order from two Texas companies:

Cedar Creek Camo: http://www.cedarcreekcamo.com/

Brush Country Camouflage: http://www.brushcountrycamo.com/shopping/default.htm

Cedar Creek

Brush Country

With that said, any camo that breaks up your outline will work.

Bob
Great photos Bob! Pretty south(west?) Texas country too!
Posted By: Roo Basher

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/01/13 08:31 AM

This is the US Navy's new camo pattern.

We were issued a ton of gear in this color, and it's not bad.

I like Australian AUSCAM, 3 color desert (discontinued), British desert (discontinued), German Flecktarn, and a few other military camos.

For commercial patterns I like Max 1 Realtree, Mossy Oak Brush, and the different western themed ones.

Honestly I think camo is a gimmick to sell clothing to hunters and the military.

I think it can work, but none are perfect.

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/01/13 08:33 AM

You might be able to make out that the green pattern has a zebra type orientation with the dark brown color. Up-down.

The desert pattern doesn't have this as the orientation is left-right.

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/01/13 09:06 AM

[img]http://mpmuseum.org/securuniform/cadpat/cadpat.jpgl[/img]

This is the Canadian and RCMP military camo pattern.

The green looks blotchy in this photo, but the scientist that evaluated it for the Canadian military said it was the best forest camo pattern on the planet.

They used some kind of optical equipment, not sure what the test is called. Measures the ability to stand out.
Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/01/13 01:53 PM

Multicam!

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/01/13 02:34 PM

Erathkid-Top is south Texas, bottom is west Texas.

Again, any camo that breaks up your outline will work. Of the "major" brands, I have found Mossy Oak to have the best made camo year in and year out. It is all licensed out, so you have to be selective. I like NatGear's patterns but have have had quality problems with them(buttons coming off right away, zippers breaking on 2nd outing, etc). The "Open Country" Cabela's introduced is a nice pattern too, but the shirttails are waaaaaaay too short. Today, it is more about marketing. It is still more important to be able to be still than what camo you are wearing. I am currently using the Cedar Creek Camo because I like the pattern and they are a Texas company. So far, so good.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/01/13 02:50 PM

This works so far.

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/04/13 05:35 PM

Erathkid-Top is south Texas, bottom is west Texas.

Again, any camo that breaks up your outline will work. Of the "major" brands, I have found Mossy Oak to have the best made camo year in and year out. It is all licensed out, so you have to be selective. I like NatGear's patterns but have have had quality problems with them(buttons coming off right away, zippers breaking on 2nd outing, etc). The "Open Country" Cabela's introduced is a nice pattern too, but the shirttails are waaaaaaay too short. Today, it is more about marketing. It is still more important to be able to be still than what camo you are wearing. I am currently using the Cedar Creek Camo because I like the pattern and they are a Texas company. So far, so good.

See Bob, no camo that realtree or mossy oak makes breaks up your outline. The only pattern that does that is ASAT. All the other companies try and make you blend in. To me, that is why al companies make you look like a green/brown blob. Why do you think that these companies come out with pictures that are 5 yards away and blend in perfectly? To sell, and thats it.

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/04/13 06:45 PM

Quote:
The only pattern that does that is ASAT.

bs
Posted By: Leever

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/04/13 06:50 PM

None
Posted By: Franklin517

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/04/13 07:34 PM

None I hunt from a box
Posted By: HeidelbergJaeger

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/04/13 09:51 PM

If its commercial camo, I like to use Real Tree AP. It is perfect for the forests here in the fall and spring. If during the summer, I'll use olive or loden colored cargo pants and a buttoned tan long sleeve shirt. Otherwise, if in the forest I received a pair of Croatian woodland digicam uniforms from a good friend of mine here. They look like this:

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/05/13 06:44 AM

Quote:
The only pattern that does that is ASAT.

bs

Then give me a pattern that does
Posted By: firesidechaps

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/06/13 04:45 PM

Real Tree is what works best for me
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/06/13 07:19 PM

Pink! Works well. Very well smile
Posted By: rmac10

Re: What CAMO do you use? - 02/11/13 01:30 AM

Real tree hardwoods in my parts!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum