Texas Hunting Forum

age these teeth

Posted By: vanguard

age these teeth - 01/09/13 07:46 PM

what do you think the age of this deer was.
it was a managment 7 pointer we harvested

Re: age these teeth - 01/09/13 07:48 PM

i can understand why my photos are rotating like that, i even rotated them correct on image shack then i post them here and they rotate back arrrrrggggg
Posted By: East

Re: age these teeth - 01/09/13 07:49 PM

6.5 ?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: age these teeth - 01/09/13 07:51 PM

Was this deer on protein?

Re: age these teeth - 01/09/13 07:53 PM

no protein just corn feeders
but why do you ask ?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: age these teeth - 01/09/13 07:56 PM

The tooth wear to the gumline along with some sharp edges on back teeth don't really fit. Deer looks to older than 6.5 but the sharp tooth edges don't fit an older buck. I'd call him a 6.5 yr without a full view of both sides.
Posted By: East

Re: age these teeth - 01/09/13 08:52 PM

So how old?
Posted By: Tye

Re: age these teeth - 01/09/13 09:18 PM

What did the other side look like?
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: age these teeth - 01/09/13 10:51 PM

How about these teeth...

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: age these teeth - 01/09/13 11:39 PM

6-6.5 See http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0755.pdf

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 12:57 AM

you would have never guessed it by looking at him, i was sitting with the owner of the property and i told him the deer was around 4 he said no way its 2 1/2 i said no he needs to go cause we have 2 1/2 yr old deer with better racks.
anyway he reluctantly shot him, im glad hes even older than i thought.
judging on the hoof aint easy

Posted By: JMalin

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
The tooth wear to the gumline along with some sharp edges on back teeth don't really fit. Deer looks to older than 6.5 but the sharp tooth edges don't fit an older buck. I'd call him a 6.5 yr without a full view of both sides.

I'm with you on that tooth ridge being strange, but I'd venture to say 7.5 based on the wear on the first and second molar and the appearance of the body of the buck in question.
Posted By: bcranch

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 01:59 AM

If both sides match he is at least 5.5, probably 6.5 or older. The sharp ridges are unusual with that much wear on the cheek side of the teeth.
Posted By: D rude

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 02:07 AM

trying to age a deer by wear of its teeth is like trying age a tire by it's tred wear .

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 02:10 AM

top teeth

Posted By: DiverTexas

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 02:30 PM

Posted By: Navasot

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 02:35 PM

Did the other side look the same? very odd set of teeth
Posted By: Navasot

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 02:39 PM

Is this in hill country? deers face looks like a 5.5 yr old... id still say 5.5 on teeth with the back molars being so sharp

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 04:44 PM

no south tx plains live oak county, both sides are basically the same
Posted By: Satch

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 05:00 PM

up
Posted By: HuntingLocator.com

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 05:50 PM

Hmm - I'm guessing 5 years.
Posted By: rustedspurs4

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 08:09 PM

There are some studies coming out that argue the validity of aging deer by tooth wear patterns.

http://today.agrilife.org/2012/03/08/deer-aging-technique/
Posted By: JMalin

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: rustedspurs4
There are some studies coming out that argue the validity of aging deer by tooth wear patterns.

http://today.agrilife.org/2012/03/08/deer-aging-technique/

The only real way to know for sure after the age of 1.5 is to tag them as fawns. That being said, tooth wear along with body size/characteristics help tell a more complete story/get you in the ballpark more than relying on just one of those techniques alone. I'd also throw in that a deer's diet and the amount of sand in the soil can certainly affect wear. It's far from a perfect science, but will help get you close.
Posted By: Phil Rooney

Re: age these teeth - 01/10/13 11:37 PM

I would say 4.5
The fourth tooth is what you used to judge it best. The second tooth is also called a milking tooth and becuase it still has some point to it, it could even be 3.5
weird looking
they also chew on one side of their mouths so the more warn down side is what you go off of

-Texas Aggie wildlife major
Posted By: rustedspurs4

Re: age these teeth - 01/11/13 02:02 PM

I agree with you JMalin, i just don't think it is something that you can look at alone. It's hard to look at teeth because they are different for the entire country. It will give you a ball park, i just wouldn't rely on it as the gospel.
Posted By: snoopy

Re: age these teeth - 01/11/13 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: vanguard
you would have never guessed it by looking at him, i was sitting with the owner of the property and i told him the deer was around 4 he said no way its 2 1/2 i said no he needs to go cause we have 2 1/2 yr old deer with better racks.
anyway he reluctantly shot him, im glad hes even older than i thought.
judging on the hoof aint easy

I like the plainness and simplicity of your gun. I'd like to ask what kind is it?

Re: age these teeth - 01/11/13 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: snoopy

I like the plainness and simplicity of your gun. I'd like to ask what kind is it?

not my gun thats the property owner in the pic hes the one that shot this deer, anyway its an H&R in 7mm-08
Posted By: Jason@moderntaxidermy

Re: age these teeth - 01/11/13 11:40 PM

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: age these teeth - 01/12/13 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Phil Rooney
I would say 4.5
The fourth tooth is what you used to judge it best. The second tooth is also called a milking tooth and becuase it still has some point to it, it could even be 3.5
weird looking
they also chew on one side of their mouths so the more warn down side is what you go off of

-Texas Aggie wildlife major

"Milk teeth" are the baby teeth which are deciduous teeth and in the cheek consist of premolars. The pictured deer shows no milk teeth. They are all permanent teeth. The fourth tooth is called the 1st Molar. The cheek teeth on a deer include pm 2 3 4 for the baby teeth and PM 2 3 4 and M 1 2 3.

Gig'm!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum